Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
Rejoice goons, for Rockstar is not done with RDR yet!

Eurogamer posted:

More Red Dead Redemption DLC coming

New downloadable content is coming for last year's Western epic Red Dead Redemption, Rockstar has announced. A message on the official Rockstar Games' Twitter account last night told fans to "look for a release date and details in the coming weeks".

The news comes as a surprise - all signs pointed to last year's Undead Nightmare story add-on being Rockstar's farewell to the award-winning title. That DLC brought gamers an alternative storyline in which the game's world was invaded by a mysterious zombie plague. It followed three previous expansions for the game's multiplayer modes.

A delayed launch of various Red Dead Redemption pre-order items followed earlier this year.

Since then Rockstar has focused squarely on recent release L.A. Noire, supplementing the period crime drama with its own selection of DLC case add-ons. The final helping, Reefer Madness, launches 12th July.

L.A. Noire's story-centric gameplay lacked any sort of multiplayer. Will new Red Dead Redemption DLC bolster its online offerings? Or will gamers be treated to a further few hours in the company of John Marston and his Wild West world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
An alternate ending would be awesome.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Capn Beeb posted:

An alternate ending would be awesome.

Or lassos online, or undead free roam, etc. I'm sure whatever they add is going to be sweet, the game rocks.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Undead free roam is uniformly the most requested feature they haven't implemented. They'd be insane not to do it. Hell, I'd pay $20 for it. Zombie huntin with your buds. Who can find the most Sasquatches. So much potential.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Or it could just be new hideouts and character skins.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
For those of you that always miss out on the 2x and 3x XP multiplayer events...

quote:

Beginning by 12:01AM Eastern this Friday July 1st and running until 11:59 PM Eastern on Monday July 4th, all online multiplayer modes including Free Roam and Undead Overrun in Undead Nightmare will earn you quadruple the experience points during this extended holiday weekend.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

blackguy32 posted:

Or it could just be new hideouts and character skins.

I doubt it'll even be new hideouts, I'd be pretty happy with just new skins and new hideouts. What we'll most likely get is new skins and a few new areas for competitive matches that no one plays. Undead Free Roam would be the bee's knees.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

What is the best minute-for-minute way to earn XP? (Please let there be something better than Twin Rocks. I...I can't grind that again.)

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

GenoCanSing posted:

What is the best minute-for-minute way to earn XP? (Please let there be something better than Twin Rocks. I...I can't grind that again.)

Pike's Basin. Especially with that quadruple XP weekend coming up. A decent run will net you about 1900XP, so this weekend you can _really_ cash out.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Considering how lackluster the existing new hideouts are, they could easily add more in the free DLC.

There are areas all over the map that would make a much better stages for a hideout than the terrible locations they chose to make hideouts last time.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Philip J Fry posted:

God. loving. Damnit. The one weekend the entire summer I'm out of town. :smith:

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Philip J Fry posted:

Finally leveling up isn't absurdly loving impossible.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Hahah christ, nearly 8K a pop on Pike's Basin :unsmigghh: I might even do legendary up to level three. No higher though, cause _fuck_ having a Pinkerton Cocksucker Agency badge as my little icon <:mad:>

niff
Jul 4, 2010
nearly at legend 2, hurrah. pikes basin on 4x is great.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Capn Beeb posted:

Hahah christ, nearly 8K a pop on Pike's Basin :unsmigghh: I might even do legendary up to level three. No higher though, cause _fuck_ having a Pinkerton Cocksucker Agency badge as my little icon <:mad:>
I decided to just stop at Legendary 1. The only character I wanted was Kyle McGinty because he actually looks like a cowboy and has a hilarious voice.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

I went from level 1 to 9 just from doing Pike's Basin once. Hit level 26 after about 2 hours of just loving around in free roam by myself. Around level 29 or 30, every other run of Pike's will increase your rank all the way up to 50.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Totally forgot the x4 was going on today. Between that and more DLC I'm in love with RDR again.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

God drat I think The Herd may be the shittest co-op mission ever made

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

doctor 7 posted:

God drat I think The Herd may be the shittest co-op mission ever made

It's easier than Walton's Gold.

The main trick to The Herd is having one or two guys go running up the sides of the valley and picking off enemies before the herd even reaches them. After that, surviving the open field run isn't too difficult.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

HOLY poo poo.

I just hopped into freeroam, and one of the Red Dead Devs was in there tearing it up. I possed with him, plugged in my mic, and we were shooting the poo poo for a while. Incredibly cool guy. Then he offered to show me a couple of really little known glitches in multiplayer, and they were two of the coolest glitches I had ever seen. None of this "hide in a building" poo poo. Stuff you can have a lot of fun with your friends with. I don't want to mention what they are, but I'll check this thread over the next 15 minutes. Post your gamertag here, and hop online. Mine is DizzyGillespi. We'll posse up and I'll show you.

Edit: I'm hopping back online. Anyone who wants to see the new stuff send a friend request.

GenoCanSing fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 2, 2011

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Played my first games of poker, and while I did a great job in one game, it took all of one hand to bust out.

I had an ace and a king, and the table showed another king, and jack, and 10. Next card was a three, and I thought "HAH, gently caress it, I will call these bets even though it makes me go all in!"

Yea turns out one of the dudes had 3 3's.

:saddowns:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

GenoCanSing posted:

HOLY poo poo.

I just hopped into freeroam, and one of the Red Dead Devs was in there tearing it up. I possed with him, plugged in my mic, and we were shooting the poo poo for a while. Incredibly cool guy. Then he offered to show me a couple of really little known glitches in multiplayer, and they were two of the coolest glitches I had ever seen. None of this "hide in a building" poo poo. Stuff you can have a lot of fun with your friends with. I don't want to mention what they are, but I'll check this thread over the next 15 minutes. Post your gamertag here, and hop online. Mine is DizzyGillespi. We'll posse up and I'll show you.

Edit: I'm hopping back online. Anyone who wants to see the new stuff send a friend request.

Why would you not just post them? this sounds like a troll.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Why would you not just post them? this sounds like a troll.

Because I don't want absolutely everyone in FR doing them. I figure I could show a couple people here and it won't just spread like loving wildfire.

I'm still waiting for someone to want to hop on and learn them.

Edit: Fine, I'll post one of them.

How to have a mobile gattling gun in free roam:

Posse up. (I've only done this with a two person posse, but I think it might work with up to 4.) Go to co-op games. Cycle the game to "The escape". When it starts, kill the enemies but leave the gold coach alone. Get on the gattling gun, one man driving and one on the gun. Ride to armadillo. In the middle of the main street, hit start, scroll to multiplayer, and enter private free roam. Viola', you can now drive the gattling gun anywhere on the map. Use it to hunt, or do gang hideouts.

The dev DID say that it SOMETIMES will go with you into public free roam, but ONLY if that free roam had 2 people or less in it when you got there. I have NOT gotten that to work.

GenoCanSing fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 2, 2011

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I'm on PS3, how should I posse up with you to learn these tricks?
How 'bout you tell us all of 'em since they'll probably be removed in a couple weeks with the new DLC? Instead of "HEY GUYS I KNOW SOME COOLS TRICKS, BE MY FRIEND AND YOU CAN SEE!"

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I think the best thing about having a friendly server (where you can't kill other players in free roam), is when you go to start a poker game, there's like a 50% chance you can kick off a brawl in that 2 minute warning area before the game starts.

:3:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I'm on playing Free Roam on PS3 right now, if someone would like to join me. PSN is DocFuzz.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Free gold weekend, and it's also 4x weekend!

So I passed into legend and got up to Level 20 in an hour and a half. Nothing says fun like going through Pike's Basin and going from Level 1 to Level 9 instantly. I should get up to Level 50 again, but nah.

niff
Jul 4, 2010
level 29, just did legend 2.. this is ridiculous. love the buffalo - it seems to be a lot less retarded than the bonzo, as well. my internet is down though.. talk about not making the most of 4x xp time.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

niff posted:

level 29, just did legend 2.. this is ridiculous. love the buffalo - it seems to be a lot less retarded than the bonzo, as well. my internet is down though.. talk about not making the most of 4x xp time.

I couldn't do it just because of how monotonous it was. I got to level 43, unlocked everything I wanted to unlock and called it quits. As long as I have the American standardbred, the evans repeater and the high power pistol, I am fine.

niff
Jul 4, 2010
i was regretting legending the second time, but i felt like i could just keep grinding, so i did it.. unlocked everything i need before level 25ish, including the american standardbred. the only annoying part is the beginning when you're trying to do gang hideouts with the cattleman, ha.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

niff posted:

i was regretting legending the second time, but i felt like i could just keep grinding, so i did it.. unlocked everything i need before level 25ish, including the american standardbred. the only annoying part is the beginning when you're trying to do gang hideouts with the cattleman, ha.

Yeah, when I did my first hideout with the Cattleman and started sucking, I thought I made a great mistake. Then upon completion I shot up to Level 9 and decided to keep going. It's fun in bursts, but multiplayer leveling is pretty hosed up in the game. Why not simply call it up to Level 250 and create more and more insane stuff for it?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Yeah, when I did my first hideout with the Cattleman and started sucking, I thought I made a great mistake. Then upon completion I shot up to Level 9 and decided to keep going. It's fun in bursts, but multiplayer leveling is pretty hosed up in the game. Why not simply call it up to Level 250 and create more and more insane stuff for it?

I generally think that everything needs an XP boost across the board. I always thought that the XP you originally earned from Solomon's Folly was a good time to XP ratio. But they went and cut that in half.

niff
Jul 4, 2010
the call of duty model makes is a popular choice for games like this now.

all i want is to unlock a bear mount. god i hope the new DLC has that.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

A permanent 2x boost to XP would be nice, but what I'd really like is ANY xp for killing wildlife, even if it's just 1 point like with townsfolk. More hunting grounds would be great too, throw in some non-hostile animal hunting areas and let me compete with my buddy to see who can shoot the most owls or rabbits.

niff
Jul 4, 2010
currently you have to do pikes basin (the most efficient way of gaining xp) 888 times (at ~1800xp a pop) to reach legend 5. that's around 88 straight hours. i suppose you don't get that much in terms of competitive edge at max level, but it seems fairly absurd.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

blackguy32 posted:

I generally think that everything needs an XP boost across the board. I always thought that the XP you originally earned from Solomon's Folly was a good time to XP ratio. But they went and cut that in half.

niff posted:

currently you have to do pikes basin (the most efficient way of gaining xp) 888 times (at ~1800xp a pop) to reach legend 5. that's around 88 straight hours. i suppose you don't get that much in terms of competitive edge at max level, but it seems fairly absurd.

Yeah, Rockstar wanted people playing over and over again, but you can tell that they didn't have much faith in that model because the more legendary you get the faster you get the basics, making everything a grind to get some semi-better mounts. They really did not think it through.

I think they should just boost everybody to Legend 5 status and call it a day. Multiplayer isn't about leveling up at this point, it's just about loving around.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

I got Pike's down to right around 5 minutes a pop with the 4x. At that rate it'd take about 18 hours to hit Legendary 5. I only did it to Legendary 1 for the achievement and to see how fast the process was. Advancement just feels very tedious and boring which is why I guess I've barely touched MP in RDR despite loving the hell out of the campaign (that and all of the rampant loving hacking/cheating).

I'll never understand the point of 'prestiging' in any MP game other than maybe the ill-conceived dick-waving rights for those so inclined. I'm still Lvl70 on MW2 after almost 30 days logged on it and always get people asking me why I don't prestige. The titles and emblems, while pointless, do add some fun and challenge to the ranking-up experience.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

Philip J Fry posted:

I'll never understand the point of 'prestiging' in any MP game other than maybe the ill-conceived dick-waving rights for those so inclined. I'm still Lvl70 on MW2 after almost 30 days logged on it and always get people asking me why I don't prestige. The titles and emblems, while pointless, do add some fun and challenge to the ranking-up experience.

I prestiged in MW2 and Black Ops just to have a couple more class slots, but going all the way to level 10 or 15 is stupid. That and it's kinda fun hearing the challenge complete/rank up sounds every so often :v: Doing it in RDR would be a lot more rewarding if the drat legendary mounts could loving jump though.

What sort of cheating/hacking goes on in RDR's MP?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I barely scratched into Legendary 1... at like level 15ish now. The standard exp rate is such poo poo I can't care enough to bother continuing unless they do another bonus weekend or something. They really need to just patch 2x exp into the game as the standard rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyPalace
Oct 23, 2001

I'm gonna eat shit out of his own lemonade stand!

Capn Beeb posted:

What sort of cheating/hacking goes on in RDR's MP?

Lately I've come across quite a few people who must have figured out some invincibility cheat/glitch/whatever. I would hit them with 5 shotgun blasts at close range, while other people were also shooting at them, and they wouldn't die. I also have been repeatedly knifed by someone who is shown on the map as being miles away. I don't know of any other ones.

• Locked thread