Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
I'm not one for crossposting XDA, but there's been some clamoring over a GB OTA for the Thunderbolt, prompting a very good response:

loonatik @ XDA posted:

Might I make a suggestion? How about y'all take a look over in the dev forum. Take a long, hard look at the roms available over there. The 605.7 builds are solid, but the radios for them are junk. The MR2 builds are... scarce to say the least (I think there's a whopping 3 of them?). And the Gingerbread builds are all built from a very flawed alpha leak that these guys have boldly and skillfully nursed into something approaching useful. I would be shocked and amazed to see Gingerbread officially released by the end of the year. They've known for a long time now there are serious issues with the officially released radios and we don't even have an OTA that tends to THAT YET. How is it that some VERY, VERY, VERY fake looking announcement hooks so many of you? Really. I mean, do you REALLY think that overweight button-pushing slug across the counter could tell you the radio version of the phone he just handed you? Or better yet, that average Joe that slug just handed the phone to! What this SHOULD tell you is that anything looking as FAKE as that press release or whatever it was looked AND displays such superfluous details such as the radio version is.... oh, what's that technical term I'm looking for.... ah, it's BULLSHIT. Some of you need to look at the top of your phone. See that funky checkmark? Yeah... just like the one your teacher put on your homework when ya got the answer wrong... and ask yourself "Gee. Considering this is Verizon, the SAME folks that brought us the Blackberry Storm, is it remotely likely they're going to surprise us with a sudden update to the latest and greatest?" You're answer should sound like "Uh... no... not even if I went to the CEO's office and performed fellatio on him until 'can ya hear me now' sounded like 'caaa ya ear eee owww'.

:staredog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

WeaselWeaz posted:

This is impossible to answer without knowing who they bought the phone from. If it was from Verizon's online or retail store, no. If it was from a third party "authorized reseller" (like Amazon, Wirefly, or the the random store down the street that isn't owned by Verizon", maybe since those places have their own, additional set of terms.

It was retail. So at least for us, the WireFly/Amazon/WalMart factor is irrelevant.

It's also what I thought.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I'm going to upgrade the wife's 2006 flip phone to a smartphone in the next few days, but to be honest, she doesn't have any requirements that would demand the latest 4g phones or the like. The phone should be Android, have the best battery life possible for a smart phone, a decent camera, and the ability to play Pandora.

Any help on the best phone on Verizon at the moment that meets those requirements? The question could probably be narrowed to best battery life on a smartphone at the moment since I imagine any android phone will meet the other two requirements.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think I would probably just go with the Incredible 2 in that case. It's just a solid phone with minimal fuss. Even with the "best" battery life on a smartphone, it's going to be a major lifestyle change to move to a smartphone from a dumb phone. You will have to charge daily, no matter what.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

bull3964 posted:

I think I would probably just go with the Incredible 2 in that case. It's just a solid phone with minimal fuss.

Excellent, thanks!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm on vacation with my parents and just tried out Verizon's 3g hotspot for the first time on my dad's Droid X. I turned it on, then on his laptop clicked through the agreement and hit ok. However, it seems we can't get to [url]https://[/url] sites now, getting a Error 500 in firefox. PDANet on my evo3d (roaming onto verizon's nearby tower) or on his droid X works fine though. What gives?

Edit-solved! Had to turn on a wireless password on the phone's hotspot, some sort of weird security thing I guess.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 30, 2011

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Frederick, MD goon here reporting 4G as of 10 minutes ago on my T-Bolt. I don't even remember our city even being mentioned in the press releases but I'll take it! Now I get to join other t-bolt users in worrying about battery life, but damnit it's worth the 10X speeds.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, it looked like the G2x was going to be great, but it's been fumbled. The Ally on Verizon wasn't anything to write home about either. The Revolution isn't a "with Google" device and is saddled with Bing. Due to the LTE radio, i'm not hopeful for custom roms on that phone anytime soon either.

So, really, to me the Revolution might as well not exist right now. It doesn't do anything better than the other two LTE phones that Verizon has and it's had its Google experience screwed with.

Having used all 3, its the best of them, really. The Thunderbolt is really, really buggy. The charge is just plain slow.

The Revo is the most stable of the 3, gets bettery battery life than the T-Bolt, and doesn't run dogshit slow like the charge. Bing can be overcome quite easily as long as you don't sperg out on it being there.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Honestly, the takeaway point is all 3 LTE phones are junk for the most part.

I'm just hoping Moto has another OG droid on their hands when the Bionic comes out.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

bull3964 posted:

I'm just hoping Moto has another OG droid on their hands when the Bionic comes out.

I'm crossing my fingers and toes for a Droid 4 with LTE, a good keyboard like the D2G, and stock Android (either Gingerbread or ICS if it's out by then).

I can dream, can't I? :ohdear:

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

Kyrosiris posted:

I'm crossing my fingers and toes for a Droid 4 with LTE, a good keyboard like the D2G, and stock Android (either Gingerbread or ICS if it's out by then).

Yeah I think they really hosed up not making the D3 an LTE phone, there really isn't a reason they couldn't have.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

dominator posted:

Yeah I think they really hosed up not making the D3 an LTE phone, there really isn't a reason they couldn't have.

That we know about, at least. The fact that they haven't managed to produce a single LTE phone, combined with the delays on the 4G upgrade for the Xoom, has led to (justified) speculation that Moto is having a lot of trouble with LTE for some reason.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Mighty Horse posted:

Having used all 3, its the best of them, really. The Thunderbolt is really, really buggy. The charge is just plain slow.

The Revo is the most stable of the 3, gets bettery battery life than the T-Bolt, and doesn't run dogshit slow like the charge. Bing can be overcome quite easily as long as you don't sperg out on it being there.

What's buggy about the Thunderbolt? Besides those people that were having random reboot problems I guess. Hasn't happened to me and many others so I'm not sure what's going on there.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Radio Nowhere posted:

Frederick, MD goon here reporting 4G as of 10 minutes ago on my T-Bolt. I don't even remember our city even being mentioned in the press releases but I'll take it! Now I get to join other t-bolt users in worrying about battery life, but damnit it's worth the 10X speeds.

heh, I guess now you don't have to come down to Rockville to experience the thrill anymore :dukedog:

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver
So I was looking at getting a family plan set up through Amazon Wireless, to get the cheap phones. I also have a discount of 18% through either my parents or wife's work. When we called Verizon Wireless, they told us that the Amazon wireless is not connected to VZW, and that we would have to do everything through Amazon. Is this true, or BS? I would love to get the cheap phones, and then the discount, but want to make sure I get this correct before I place an order, and see what costs figure out to be. Is it truly a one or the other, or can you work it this way with a work discount and amazon cheap phones?

MidasAg fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jul 1, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Penguissimo posted:

That we know about, at least. The fact that they haven't managed to produce a single LTE phone, combined with the delays on the 4G upgrade for the Xoom, has led to (justified) speculation that Moto is having a lot of trouble with LTE for some reason.

Well there were rumors flying around a little while ago that the reason for the Bionic delay was because Motorola couldn't get the LTE radio and Tegra 2 chipset to play nice.

Seeing as how moto dropped the tegra 2, maybe that was the case? Although i'm not so sure about them upping the screen size to 4.5 inches :negative: seems a little big...

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
4.5 sounds like a great size if the battery matches it. I swear to God if another phone comes out with a >4" screen and less than 1500 mah battery, I'm going to take hostages.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Penguissimo posted:

Isn't the G2x also a disaster, software-wise? I think it makes sense to be cautious about LG until they prove themselves with at least one hit. They're sort of the new Samsung.

drat, you got me there.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

AppleCobbler posted:

4.5 sounds like a great size if the battery matches it. I swear to God if another phone comes out with a >4" screen and less than 1500 mah battery, I'm going to take hostages.

I would honestly take a phone the size of the original Incredible if it had good battery life and up-to-date specs.

To each his own :v:

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I would honestly take a phone the size of the original Incredible if it had good battery life and up-to-date specs.

Agreed. I've gotten used to the size of the Thunderbolt but I would have jumped on the Incredible 2 if it had come out before 1 year contracts died.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah-- I was gonna get a new phone. But rooted, JuiceDefender, CM7-- my Inc is amazing AND pocket sized.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Just yesterday my wife got a new LG Cosmos Touch (after signing a new agreement, naturally). After charging it and getting Backup Assistant set up, she got in the tub, came out, and found either a deep scratch or a crack on the screen. The more I look at it the more I think it's a crack. The odd thing is we have no idea how it could have gotten there. Our kid was asleep and where it was, had one of our cats jumped up there it would have fallen on the floor.

She just got off the phone with Verizon and the guy's telling her she must have had it in her pocket or something, which makes zero sense because she was in the tub while this happened. My best guess is some sort of latent stress from temperature differences because it got to 92° here yesterday. What can we do?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

ManiacClown posted:

Just yesterday my wife got a new LG Cosmos Touch (after signing a new agreement, naturally). After charging it and getting Backup Assistant set up, she got in the tub, came out, and found either a deep scratch or a crack on the screen. The more I look at it the more I think it's a crack. The odd thing is we have no idea how it could have gotten there. Our kid was asleep and where it was, had one of our cats jumped up there it would have fallen on the floor.

She just got off the phone with Verizon and the guy's telling her she must have had it in her pocket or something, which makes zero sense because she was in the tub while this happened. My best guess is some sort of latent stress from temperature differences because it got to 92° here yesterday. What can we do?

She has 30 days to cancel the new agreement. Just take it to the store and remind them of that.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

ManiacClown posted:

If you don't have assurian or some other insurance, the only way you're going to win this one is by calling and demanding to speak to manager after manager until they finally give you what you want. From previous experience, you will eventually get taken care of if you push it up the chain enough (I've been with Verizon for close to 15 years, and the few times I've had to argue something like this, they have always eventually done the right thing).

If you have insurance, call in and file a claim. It may be cheaper to buy a used one on ebay though.

Edit: AlexDeGruven makes a good point. I would even consider taking back to the store and trying to return it entirely. If she really wants the Cosmos, buy one on ebay and use her upgrade to buy a fancy new phone that you can sell for a nice profit.

Acrolos fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 1, 2011

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

Flyboy925 posted:

So I was looking at getting a family plan set up through Amazon Wireless, to get the cheap phones. I also have a discount of 18% through either my parents or wife's work. When we called Verizon Wireless, they told us that the Amazon wireless is not connected to VZW, and that we would have to do everything through Amazon. Is this true, or BS? I would love to get the cheap phones, and then the discount, but want to make sure I get this correct before I place an order, and see what costs figure out to be. Is it truly a one or the other, or can you work it this way with a work discount and amazon cheap phones?

Well it's my understand that once you set up your new account through Verizon, you call them afterwards to get your discount applied.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just got back from the Verizon store and folded over my wife's new AMZN Wireless Thunderbolt plan to a Family Plan and activated my own equipment (Verizon Treo 755p :getin:) to preserve my phone subsidy for the fall. Thanks especially to SpacedOut for the OP and responses that I could do all this, I'm really surprised it's this easy since the last time I switched providers was before porting numbers was even mandated. Really excited to be on the network that works on the subway :cheers:

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver

Bahama.Llama posted:

Well it's my understand that once you set up your new account through Verizon, you call them afterwards to get your discount applied.

Awesome. That's what I was finding online through various sites as well. The VZW rep just didn't seem to know much when we called. Thanks.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

ManiacClown posted:

My passenger window in my car once completely cracked one autumn day because, according to the guy who replaced it, it was boiling loving hot in my car and it was relatively cool out. He said it's not uncommon, so take that for whatever you will. Been driving for 11 years, it only happened once so I don't know.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Kyrosiris posted:

Ha, you had to see my disturbing list of requirements:

4g/LTE
World phone
Physical keyboard
SAMOLED screen
Rootable

I would have probably died waiting.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Hamburglar posted:

Ha, you had to see my disturbing list of requirements:

4g/LTE
World phone
Physical keyboard
SAMOLED screen
Rootable

I would have probably died waiting.

I'm 3/5 on that list (don't care about the world phone aspect and really am not fussed about the screen so much), so... :(

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ManiacClown posted:

Only thing against you I would say is that leaving a phone in the bathroom when showering or anything risks water damage, and any wireless person will likely point that out as a reason not to exchange it. And given how many dumbasses actually do crack their phones then try to exchange them, that tends to kill the system for being lenient on weird scenarios like yours.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Kyrosiris posted:

I'm 3/5 on that list (don't care about the world phone aspect and really am not fussed about the screen so much), so... :(

I'm not super anal about the screen but SAMOLED is the most gorgeous thing in the world; only thing I ever seen it on is a Gameboy Micro and a GP2x Wiz (handheld console) and it's stunning. But then there's the fact that it's viewable in the sunlight. I cannot see poo poo on my Thunderbolt outdoors.

The worldphone I could live without but it seems so utterly lazy. I like to travel to Europe around twice a year and it's really sucky having no phone or having to keep an old one around that somehow managed to cram a GSM radio in there.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It looks like the Droid Bionic may have just cleared the FCC. This lends credence to the possible July 28th launch date.

http://www.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-bionic-clears-fcc

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

bull3964 posted:

It looks like the Droid Bionic may have just cleared the FCC. This lends credence to the possible July 28th launch date.

http://www.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-bionic-clears-fcc
I think its still going to be early August, it is just now entering user trials and that typically takes a bit over a month

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

dominator posted:

I think its still going to be early August, it is just now entering user trials and that typically takes a bit over a month

The only thing is the confidentiality on the FCC filing expires the 7th of August. Typically they would want to get it out before that happens.

In other news, Droid 3 is out via direct fill on the 7th and all stores on the 14th.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/07/01/exclusive-droid3-launching-july-7-via-direct-fill-hits-all-stores-july-14/

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 2, 2011

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Apparently my wife and I are both idiots. You know those plastic covers they'll put over the screen of a new phone? Yeah, those have apparently gotten almost undetectable. The scratch was in THAT. We still have no idea how it got scratched, though. Ugh. It's been too drat hot here for think good.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
Pardon my ignorance, but what's direct fill?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Due to crazy cost difference of android phone vs iphones for me and my girl ($200X2 for iphone, $150 BOGO on android) I ended up signing up with verizon and getting two HTC incredible 2s. I dithered a bit on droid x2 vs incredible and went with the htc randomly but I can return them. Reviews on these phones seem pretty spec heavy, anyone have thoughts?

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.

Bambi posted:

Pardon my ignorance, but what's direct fill?

Direct fill (aka Direct Fulfillment) means an item will be shipped directly to a customer's residence or workplace. In the case of the Droid 3, it's probably due to (perceived) high demand, so they're making them available as soon as they hit Verizon's warehouse before they can even get them out to retail stores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoxMcCloud
Dec 1, 2003

Sorry to jet, but I'm in a hurry.
I've seen a lot of info about people moving from unlimited 3G to 4G, but I haven't seen anything about feature phones. Is there any chance if I use a cheap old feature phone and get the unlimited data plan before July 7th, that I could upgrade to a smartphone later and keep unlimited data?

• Locked thread