Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life

Jerry Cotton posted:

How is KotOR an action RPG, it has turn-based combat? Anyway, assuming that you mean 3D real-time games that basically leaves the Witcher games, Risen, Dark Messiah of Might & Magic, Arx Fatalis, Ultima Underworld & Ultima Underworld 2, System Shock & System Shock 2, and probably a a whole bunch of others I've never heard of and/or aren't good.

drat those are some bad rear end looking games, and I've never even heard of half of them thanks! It's been so long since I played the KOTORS's that I was remembering them as action rpgs, probably all the star wars games blending together in my mind.

Allarion posted:

KOTOR's not an action rpg.....I recommend Vampire: the Masquerade Bloodlines.

I had problems getting this to run in Windows 7 64-bit, but I think I had tried to pirate it because none of the game stores in town had ever even heard of it. Looks like it's on Steam though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Speaking of which, I see VtM: Redemption is on GOG - is it any good?

VVV That sounds... terrible VVV

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 2, 2011

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Speaking of which, I see VtM: Redemption is on GOG - is it any good?

Its great if you understand that the last 3rd of the game is a pure combat sewer dungeon that will tear apart anybody not tooled out for non-blood based combat. Should you enjoy the game, feel free to cheat the ever living bejeesus out of this section so you can keep doing what you wanted to and were having fun with.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So hey do you still care about getting RPG's on the Wii but don't know nothing about "Operation Rainfall"?

Well now there's a helpful video detailing exactly which website you need to go to to help the cause!

Please excuse the crappy production values and general lack of energy as this was done on a whim at 2am due to insomnia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uowMz49MYsE

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
I've run out of RPGs to play, gonna give Drakensang another chance. Anyone got any advice? The obtuse rules turned me off the last time (I've played AD&D games with no problems).

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Barudak posted:

Its great if you understand that the last 3rd of the game is a pure combat sewer dungeon that will tear apart anybody not tooled out for non-blood based combat. Should you enjoy the game, feel free to cheat the ever living bejeesus out of this section so you can keep doing what you wanted to and were having fun with.

Are you sure that's not Bloodlines? (which isn't on GOG)

If not, then why are both Vampire: TM games plagued with bad sewer levels...

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

(Mass Effect can shove it, a third person cover based shooter with dialogue trees and stats for weapons is still a third person cover based shooter)

I wanted to add something like this to the OP, but I figured it would have a backlash. But I really consider mass effect and the like to be just adding RPG to their description so they can gain some "nerd points." But in everyother RPG forum I've been in, there has always been a long thread arguing about meta-rpg's and how their just as good as the other ones, so I decided to just say gently caress it and not even bring it up. YMMV however.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Machine posted:

Are you sure that's not Bloodlines? (which isn't on GOG)

If not, then why are both Vampire: TM games plagued with bad sewer levels...

Oh my goodness, my mistake completely. Sorry.

That post was reflexive because that sewer level is just that terrible.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Sweet christ, don't I know it.

I think that sewer level was the last time I got so frustrated with a game that I cheated through it. Even then, that boss was impossible to kill without godmode using my COMBAT SKILL FOCUSED CHARACTER. I like a lot of the "Deus Exiness" of Bloodlines, but goddamn they were some awful parts in that game.

Meanwhile, VtM: Redemption is actually a decent party-based Diablo clone with funny voice acting (and a bad camera).

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

SatansBestBuddy posted:

So hey do you still care about getting RPG's on the Wii but don't know nothing about "Operation Rainfall"?

Well now there's a helpful video detailing exactly which website you need to go to to help the cause!

Please excuse the crappy production values and general lack of energy as this was done on a whim at 2am due to insomnia:

I'm pretty sure that Nintendo's official policy is to say that nothing is in the works/plans even if it is. If they release a Zelda tomorrow and then you ask them when or what the next Zelda game will be, they'll say the same thing that it's not planned or in the works... when you know goddamned well that there's another Zelda planned.

I'm not sure if any letter writing campaign, twitter mobbing, facebook posting, and petition signing will get them to budge on that policy...

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Naky posted:

If they release a Zelda tomorrow and then you ask them when or what the next Zelda game will be, they'll say the same thing that it's not planned or in the works... when you know goddamned well that there's another Zelda planned.

I'm pretty sure Miyamoto has gone on record saying they're always thinking about what to do with the next Zelda and Mario. Otherwise fair point, though.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Amppelix posted:

I'm pretty sure Miyamoto has gone on record saying they're always thinking about what to do with the next Zelda and Mario. Otherwise fair point, though.

Miyamoto is a GENIUS - of course he knows the next step of the franchise, but I guess the idea does change depending on feedback from the reviewers and the sales data of the most recent game? Is that how sensible devs approach things? (It seems kind of sensible).

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Naky posted:

I'm not sure if any letter writing campaign, twitter mobbing, facebook posting, and petition signing will get them to budge on that policy...

It's better than just taking it at face value and doing nothing.

It's more than a little odd that Nintendo of America would say nothing on these games when Nintendo of Europe has said they're bringing all three over there, plus the thing that started this whole fiasco was Nintendo of France saying they wanted to show off Xenoblade at E3, but Nintendo of America shot them down saying, "We don't want to show off games we have no intention of releasing."

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

adamarama posted:

I've run out of RPGs to play, gonna give Drakensang another chance. Anyone got any advice? The obtuse rules turned me off the last time (I've played AD&D games with no problems).

Are you playing the first one? I've only played River of Time but I can help with the rule system or character design and all that. What do you need help or advice with?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

SatansBestBuddy posted:

You'll probably be hard pressed to find anyone willing to watch a 14 minute on youtube outside of an LP.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
Is there something where a separate team would need to localize it for NA or any legal reason why they can't borrow from the EU localization to speed up an NA release?

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

I think they hoped they'd be able to call it Ultima Underworld III but that didn't happen. It's the best 3D dungeon crawler in my book. The Xbox version isn't worth getting for obvious reasons.

I bought it on Steam during the winter sale and tried playing it. The controls were weird, but I imagine I'd get used to them. The only thing, it kept crashing on me. A steam game. IDK, didn't take time to figure it out. Should I?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I've had no problems with the GOG-supplied version (running Windows 7 64 bit). Steam isn't exactly known for giving a poo poo whether older games they sell work or not. Yes, you should.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jul 3, 2011

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Are you playing the first one? I've only played River of Time but I can help with the rule system or character design and all that. What do you need help or advice with?
Yeah, the first one. I've read tbe manual, but don't really understand the rules very well. There's a bewildering array of skills, and I don't want to gimp my character before I even start. I'm thinking of playing a mage, as based on the manual, the first party members you meet are rogues and fighters.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Rascyc posted:

You'll probably be hard pressed to find anyone willing to watch a 14 minute on youtube outside of an LP.

Especially with the guy talking so slow and dreary.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Well, it is a somber subject. We're lucky the audio track wasn't just 14 minutes of soft weeping.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

adamarama posted:

Yeah, the first one. I've read tbe manual, but don't really understand the rules very well. There's a bewildering array of skills, and I don't want to gimp my character before I even start. I'm thinking of playing a mage, as based on the manual, the first party members you meet are rogues and fighters.

The rules aren't really that hard, just kind of weird. As a general rule you can right click anything to get a decent idea what it is for. Almost all of the skills are fairly useful, except Treat Poison which is worthless.

A general rule of thumb is to make sure one person in your party covers each social and environmental skill. So you only need one person with Seduce, for example, because the dialog options uses the person with the highest rating in that skill. The best idea is to put that skill on someone who is already going to have a high value in the associated stats.

Basically, skills and spells work on 'tests', and each are associated with 3 stats. Take a look at this page: http://en.drakensang.wikia.com/wiki/Talent_Test

So it's useful to bump up both skills and stats. Stats are more expensive so at first you won't be bumping them up much, but later in the game you should be investing a lot into them, because they help with a wide range of things.

Stats are also very important for your base attack, parry, and ranged values.

For fighters, you want to pick a weapon and stick with it. Always make sure to bump up that weapon skill as much as possible. You can choose to distribute that between Attack and Parry as well. I recommend for fighters almost exclusively bumping up Attack. You'll also want to make sure you buy up their useful talents. Knockdown, Stormblade, Strike of Wrath, and anything that inflicts wounds. Also Endurance, Armor Usage, Shield Usage, and to a lesser extent Dodge, are all useful.

Later in the game when you start having enough XP to spend on stat points, Strength is super important since it benefits Attack, Parry, and Ranged, as well as increasing your VI and damage. Agility is also really useful since it helps both attack/parry. Also, don't forget you can spend XP directly on VI, this helps a lot as it's the easiest way to increase your max life.

For ranged characters, take the associated ranged talents as they're all useful. Stat wise, Strength comes first, then Intuition, then Dex. Ranged characters are really awesome if you craft or buy fire/poison arrows.

For mages, you'll be spending most of your points bumping up your favorite spells, and the associated stats for AE (Courage, Intuition, Charisma). Make sure you carefully read the spell descriptions, as some spells don't really benefit from having higher ranks.

Some things to watch out for ...

There are some translation errors in some of the descriptions of things. Cleverness is sometimes abbreviated KL.

AE (Astral Energy), and AsP (Astral Points), are the same thing pretty much. AsP is just the 'point cost' where as AE is your character's pool of it. Just think of them as the same thing. You may see AsP incorrectly abbreviated as AP here and there.

Some spell's 'Modifier' listings are just flat out wrong. For example, Balm of Healing's modifier can increases by +1 for every 4 levels you gain. Some of these are really annoying and confusing.

Crafting skills you only need enough of to meet the minimum requirement for what you are trying to craft. There is no bonus for having more skill. There are also items that can significantly boost these skills. You probably will never need more than 10 skill points in any of these.

It's just fine to save up your XP to spend later.

Not sure what else to say, if you're confused on anything specific let me know.

Edit: I made some big-rear end posts a while ago about tests http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3378573&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=310#post391226533 http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3378573&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=312#post391244509

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 3, 2011

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
All that Xenosaga talk got me in the mood to try playing it again. I don't think I've played it since I beat it in 2006. I got the game when I was 13 and really liked it. I consider it my first real JRPG (Pokémon was really my first but I don't think "JRPG" when I see it.)

I bought Episode II in 2007 but I didn't like it and never finished it. How was III? I'm kind of interested in seeing how it all ends. Kind of.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Purple D. Link posted:

I bought Episode II in 2007 but I didn't like it and never finished it. How was III? I'm kind of interested in seeing how it all ends. Kind of.

Doesn't it, like, not end, because the Xenosaga series was supposed to go 1-4 into Xenogears' Episode 5? Nothing good can ever come of such a gimmick.

v Well that's pretty weird because yes according to Wikipedia it was supposed to be of six, but XG was episode 5, it even says so after the credits, so it would've gone XS1-4 --> XG --> ????.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 4, 2011

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

If I recall correctly, there was originally going to be six Xenosagas, but when Episode II tanked they reworked III to be the last in the story. So yeah, It has an ending. I never actually bothered finishing it myself, so I dunno how well that turned out.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

Doesn't it, like, not end, because the Xenosaga series was supposed to go 1-4 into Xenogears' Episode 5? Nothing good can ever come of such a gimmick.

At one point it was rumored to be the full 6 episodes laid out in Perfect Works, but in the end I'm not sure they even finished episode 1.

Perfect Works basically laid it out as:
Episode 1 being up to the crash of the Eldridge
Episode 2 having Cain and Abel and the creation of man on the planet the Eldridge crashed on
Episode 3 talking about all the stuff going on in Zeboim, leading to Emeralda's creation and the end of that civilization
Episode 4 with Lacan and Sophia and the founding of Aveh
Xenogears
and Episode 6 for the aftermath of the wave existence going away.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 4, 2011

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

Troffen posted:

If I recall correctly, there was originally going to be six Xenosagas, but when Episode II tanked they reworked III to be the last in the story. So yeah, It has an ending. I never actually bothered finishing it myself, so I dunno how well that turned out.
This is what I've read. I've never heard that Xenogears was supposed to be Episode V before though.

Actually I've never even played Xenogears. From what I've read I should probably just play that instead. :v:

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

The White Dragon posted:

It was actually supposed to be 1-6 with 5 being a loose retelling of Xenogears, but in an alternate-yet-similar setting. Think of it like the usual 'parallel dimension' nonsense a lot of franchise reboots tend to take. If I'm not mistaken, the characters were not supposed to be re-used in each sequel, as centuries - if not millenia - were supposed to pass between episodes. Well, except KOS-MOS, I suppose.

Regardless, you're right - such a gimmick is doomed to failure without George Lucas-like obsession, foresight and resources.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Meanwhile, ///.hack did this twice...

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't think it was ever "confirmed" beyond rampant fan speculation that the Xenosaga series was going to retell anything in Xenogears. It was even said (in an interview I think) that Xenosaga was Takahashi's attempt into making a more pure sci-fi story, which would have immediately distanced itself from Xenogears anyway which mixed sci-fi and fantasy. It WAS supposed to be six episodes, which is why it feels like so much happens in III. They basically skipped over what III would have been (hence the time skip between II and III) and crammed IV-VI into one game. The funny thing is rather than feeling rushed, Xenosaga III actually is paced pretty well because things, well, actually happen. That's more of a jab at how poorly paced I and II were though than a compliment of III.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

I don't think it was ever "confirmed" beyond rampant fan speculation that the Xenosaga series was going to retell anything in Xenogears. It was even said (in an interview I think) that Xenosaga was Takahashi's attempt into making a more pure sci-fi story, which would have immediately distanced itself from Xenogears anyway which mixed sci-fi and fantasy. It WAS supposed to be six episodes, which is why it feels like so much happens in III. They basically skipped over what III would have been (hence the time skip between II and III) and crammed IV-VI into one game. The funny thing is rather than feeling rushed, Xenosaga III actually is paced pretty well because things, well, actually happen. That's more of a jab at how poorly paced I and II were though than a compliment of III.

Like you said, it was never confirmed to be a retelling of Xenogears, and I seriously doubt it was ever going in that direction. I don't think they threw episodes IV-VI into the third game though.

My take on the series is that Xenosaga I-III covers the story that was originally going to be episodes I and II. The first and second games cover episode I, the third game covers episode II. That the plots from the first two games was supposed to be in one single game is pretty obvious. The stories lead directly into one another with no time skip, and there was no reason to end the first game where it did. A trailer we got for the first game has scenes from the second game. To top it all off, when a Xenosaga game was released for the DS, it was games one and two combined.

It's been a long time, but when the series development began, I think I remember Takahashi saying there were going to be three major story arcs in the series, and that the series would take place from the beginning to the end of the universe. If that's true, then we only saw Shion's arc, just a third of the series.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Tae posted:

Meanwhile, ///.hack did this twice...

.hack might be the only series to actually plan out a multi-episode extravaganza and actually go through with it properly, now that I think about it.

Drunken Butterfly
Jan 6, 2011

NO SWEETS!
Yeah when you talk Perfect Works it has to be all about Xenogears. Xenosaga sorta swung and missed at any of the episodes, but all three games together are pretty drat good. Go play em.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2011/1814.html

quote:

Today at Anime Expo, indie publisher Carpe Fulgur announced their third translation project, Fortune Summoners: Secret of the Elemental Stone.
Pricing and a release date for Fortune Summoners has not yet been announced. In the meantime, you'll finally be able to check out Chantelise, which Andrew Dice confirmed would be out before the end of this month.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

quote:

Today at Anime Expo, indie publisher Carpe Fulgur announced their third translation project, Fortune Summoners: Secret of the Elemental Stone.
Pricing and a release date for Fortune Summoners has not yet been announced. In the meantime, you'll finally be able to check out Chantelise, which Andrew Dice confirmed would be out before the end of this month.

About drat time. I cannot understate how much of a hurry I am to give you my money.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Drunken Butterfly posted:

Yeah when you talk Perfect Works it has to be all about Xenogears. Xenosaga sorta swung and missed at any of the episodes, but all three games together are pretty drat good. Go play em.

I enjoyed all the games for what they were when they came out, even XSII. It's a very Japaense game in a lot of ways and the symbolism is pretty heavy handed but there were enough nods towards XG (especially in III) to make me feel like they at least took place in the same universe.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Really, the only part about Xenosaga that seems like it was lifted straight from the Xenogears mythos was the unearthing of the Zohar. You could kind of argue that XS Episode I is kind of what XG Episode I was about (a great civilization spread across innumerable worlds, eventually stricken with strife), but it never actually went the distance with how Episode II begins...namely the exodus of the Eldrige.

As for XS II in general, it's still a pretty bad game but for me it's mostly because of two reasons: the battle system is extremely annoying at times thanks to the knockdown system (especially if you're up against a large number of fast enemies) and overly complicated/convoluted, and the non-cutscene music just sucks. Also if I recall, basically nothing of importance happens until the very end (it's paced pretty poorly).

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
Yeah, the battle system is a pretty big reason why I didn't like II. Before I got it, I kept hearing people saying the battle system was so much better than the first's, and when I played II I thought they were crazy. When it comes to RPG battle systems, simpler is better for me. It's among the reasons I love the Dragon Quest series, Persona 3 and Skies of Arcadia to name a few.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Purple D. Link posted:

Yeah, the battle system is a pretty big reason why I didn't like II. Before I got it, I kept hearing people saying the battle system was so much better than the first's, and when I played II I thought they were crazy. When it comes to RPG battle systems, simpler is better for me. It's among the reasons I love the Dragon Quest series, Persona 3 and Skies of Arcadia to name a few.

I felt XSII was more strategic but by the end of the game felt way more tedious. It felt like I had to use boss strategies for grunt battles and that gets old after a while.

You mentioned Skies of Arcadia which is so close to my heart - I've owned both versions and devoured both. Where is our sequel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

TooManyUzukis posted:

About drat time. I cannot understate how much of a hurry I am to give you my money.

Holy poo poo, this is about one of the best drat things I've heard. SpaceDrake, start the thread and raise some publicity already :haw:

Also, have some Fortune Summoners stuff from RPS:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/07/04/fortune-summoners-secret-of-the-elemental-stone/

Apparently it's a kind of 2D RPG; as someone who's played and enjoyed the Spirit Engine, I have to say, I'm a lot more stoked about this than I would've been.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 5, 2011