Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

EmperorBobman posted:

Did anyone besides me scroll through the pics quickly and think "that's a pair of really ugly speakers"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

army_of_babies
Dec 5, 2004
Fighting for your color TVs

Jerry Cotton posted:

Did anyone besides me scroll through the pics quickly and think "that's a pair of really ugly speakers"?

Initially I thought they were some custom tribute to Rush speakers.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
How many roommates do you have Jesus.

I actually shouldn't talk. There was a 45 and 62 inch plasma, a 32inch LCD and two projectors here until we managed to offload a bunch of them, and only two people live here.

Patch
Jan 13, 2008

Here's my system that's been slowly upgraded over the years. The front L/R speakers are over 10 years old. Posting now since the TV I was using recently stopped working, so I decided to go bigger...much bigger:

Epson 8350
Yamaha HTR-5470
Sony BDP-370
mains: Boston Acoustics VR20
center: BA VR910
surrounds: Cambridge Soundworks S200
sub: Dayton 10"

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

oh yes. two kinds... of dances

Patch posted:

Here's my system that's been slowly upgraded over the years. The front L/R speakers are over 10 years old. Posting now since the TV I was using recently stopped working, so I decided to go bigger...much bigger:

Epson 8350
Yamaha HTR-5470
Sony BDP-370
mains: Boston Acoustics VR20
center: BA VR910
surrounds: Cambridge Soundworks S200
sub: Dayton 10"

This is nice but that room looks quite reflective. It would probably sound a lot better with some big rugs on the floor and acoustic panels on the walls and ceiling.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, looks really echo-y.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips
What's the best LED TV, around 50-55 inches? Fry's has a LG Infinia 55LW5600 for $1199, is that a decent deal?

Patch
Jan 13, 2008

Pibborando San posted:

This is nice but that room looks quite reflective. It would probably sound a lot better with some big rugs on the floor and acoustic panels on the walls and ceiling.

Oh definitely, the next improvements will definitely be room acoustics. I probably won't cover every surface with acoustic panels, but an area rug and some panels on the back wall would probably be in order. The room is open to the right and on the left is a large window that's covered with a curtain when the systems in use, so reflections from the side are not an issue at least.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips
Sorry, meant to post in the tv megathread.

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004
I'm moving my TV/Media area into a large, unused bedroom. Currently, my TV is mounted at, what I consider, a pefect height. (It's a 40"LCD, and the top of the TV is roughly 52" from the ground, so I think the center is 40"). It works great for where I have my couches positioned (height and distance from TV).

In my new set up, the couches will be slightly closer to the TV (8-9feet), so I will adjust the measurements accordingly, and most likely mount the TV after the couches are moved into place. However, I'm also considering upgrading to a 50" plasma.

If my TV mount is perfect with a 40", will it also work for a 50" or will it need to be adjusted (raised). I ask because I'm still on the fence about the upgrade and didn't want to have to remount my TV if I do.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I've still got a bit more wire cleanup, new wall plates, and I've got to dig up my N-64 which I've somehow misplaced, but my system is basically done. My apologies for the poor lighting.

Front view:

The furniture is from Ikea, two six shelf units side by side and two media storage shelves, one on each side. The center channel is held hovering over the tv by two steel corner brackets, each rated to 200 lbs and connected to the wall/beam by four inch deck screws.

The main speakers are the Pioneer FS-51s and the center is the C-21. The TV is a 50" Samsung from a couple of years ago.

Left side:

Left three shelves: Dreamcast stuff, Gamecube/Wii stuff, and Guitar Hero/Rock Band stuff. Next three shelves: DirecTV HR24 DVR, PS2, Saturn.

Right side:

Second shelves from the right: Onkyo TX-NR609 receiver, X-Box, empty space where my N-64 should be. Last shelf: PS3, Wii, Dreamcast.

Sub is the BIC/Acoustech PL200. To the right is the nine month old reason that it's taken this long to put my system together. :)

Looking back:

The rear speakers are also from the Andrew Jones Pioneer line, the BS-21s. They are on Sanus stands that turned out to be the perfect height, they put the speakers about a centimeter over the back of the couch.

The DVR, PS3, and receiver are wired to our home network by both a Linksys router and a gigabit switch. The room obviously has lots of issues and there's still a bunch of tweaking to do, but all in all, I'm very happy with the sound. The receiver is feature packed, but the DLNA is a bit on the wonky side; it locks up for no apparent reason occasionally. Also, my Harmony One is having issues dealing with some of the receiver's controls, so there's that. We use the PS3 for Blu-rays and Netflix, and all but two of the consoles are running through the receiver (the missing N-64 and the Saturn). I might run those two directly into the TV, though neither is a priority since I haven't played them in forever.

None of the components (not counting the TV) were over $400. The sub was $285, the receiver $380 (refurb), everything else was even less.

Fnord
Apr 20, 2001
WHAT
Nice setup but, if your nine month old boy is anything similar to my nine month old boy, you are going to have your hands full constantly playing goalie with all of your equipment and cords. I don't even want to think about the destruction my boy would cause in that room. That is why everything I have is wall mounted now.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

None of the components (not counting the TV) were over $400. The sub was $285, the receiver $380 (refurb), everything else was even less.

How are you liking the Pioneer FS-51s? I'm tempted to pick up a pair.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Fnord posted:

Nice setup but, if your nine month old boy is anything similar to my nine month old boy, you are going to have your hands full constantly playing goalie with all of your equipment and cords. I don't even want to think about the destruction my boy would cause in that room. That is why everything I have is wall mounted now.

Yep, the only thing that is keeping me from walling the whole thing off is that my boy is lazy and isn't crawling yet. But you are correct, if there's a cable visible, he will go straight for it. We're planning on using some sort of portable screen to block the area off. There's a narrow space between the lounge part of the couch and the sub, so I think we'll try putting it there.

Corbet posted:

How are you liking the Pioneer FS-51s? I'm tempted to pick up a pair.

I'm liking them. I'm still experimenting with various modes and dialing in the sub, but there's no question they are a bargain at that price point. They are spectacular with movies and TV. I haven't listened to enough music yet to give a final word, but they seem good in that department. I apologize for not being able to give a more helpful response, I'm not knowledgeable enough to give you a technically oriented review and I'm not a big enough rear end in a top hat to give a typical audiophile review (Luscious highs! Lugubrious bass with delicious mids!). I'll pop in and give more detailed impressions once I've had more time with them.

Nija
Mar 2, 2003
F A C K

Patch posted:

Cool setup. What are you using for a screen? Roughly, what is the distance from the projector to the screen?

My big DLP is starting to sound like a helicopter - I think I'm going to go with a projector setup like yours for that room.

Patch
Jan 13, 2008

Nija posted:

Cool setup. What are you using for a screen? Roughly, what is the distance from the projector to the screen?

I'm using this screen: http://www.htdepot.com/Focupix_Widescreen_Fixed_Frame_Screen_115_p/ff169lt-110gy.htm. It's more like 108" viewable (even says so on the box, though they claimed it's a typo) and mine has a faint strip pattern to it that sometimes shows throuh in uniform, bright scenes. But overall, it's pretty good, looks nice on the wall, and it would be difficult to find cheaper without DIY (which is also a good option that I considered). I originally planned to do a small flatscreen for casual TV watching with a pulldown projector screen, but then realized, a) I could do with less casual TV watching, and b) the amount spent on bulbs for the first year or two I would end up spending on the TV anyways.

I picked the Epson because it has lens shift, so I could set it off center and not have to worry about ceiling mounting it right away. The screen is around 12-14 feet away. I can run it in eco mode and get an image that's plenty bright and not notice the fan at all.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I've started roughing out requirements for converting my garage into a theater/play room. I'm looking for resources and information on wiring, furniture, automation, etc. I've never done anything beyond hooking up my own simple surround system in my living room. Right now I have everything run into an Onkyo receiver, which is connected to a 3D TV and controlled by a Universal Remote MX810.

Any suggested reading/websites that I can start looking at? I'm just getting ideas right now, but I'd like to read some people's experiences with this stuff. Specifically on what wires to run, what sort of lighting to use...all that poo poo, basically.

Edit: I know about the AVS forums, I'm looking for stuff besides that if it exists.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
I'm deciding between two TV stands which do you guys think looks better? It will house a Samsung 55" LCD TV, Onkyo TX-NR809 receiver, Samsung BluRay player, XBox 360, Power Center for plugs, cable modem and router.

http://www.tvstands.com/Bush-Industries-VS74962-03-BU2815.html

or

http://www.amazon.com/Techcraft-BAY6028-Credenza-60-Inch-Walnut/dp/B001VNBG26

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

scarymonkey posted:

I'm deciding between two TV stands which do you guys think looks better? It will house a Samsung 55" LCD TV, Onkyo TX-NR809 receiver, Samsung BluRay player, XBox 360, Power Center for plugs, cable modem and router.

http://www.tvstands.com/Bush-Industries-VS74962-03-BU2815.html

or

http://www.amazon.com/Techcraft-BAY6028-Credenza-60-Inch-Walnut/dp/B001VNBG26
What does the rest of the room look like (if matching decor even matters)? Do you have a center channel speaker?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'd also check the measurements of everything. I'm pretty sure I looked at that bottom one awhile back and my Onkyo 607 wouldn't fit unless it was on top.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

I have a cheapo one pretty similar to that from Best Buy and the only complaint I have is that it really shows dust. I like the look and the color but next time I think I'll go with black wood.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
To answer some of the questions:

I got Onkyo SKS-HT540 7.1 speaker system (paid $166 on sale):
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/430199-REG/Onkyo_SKSHT540_SKS_HT530_Home_Theater_Speakers.html

I'm building out the rest of the room so it makes it a little tough to decide. Room size is around 12x13 feet. The wood one is also available in black wood. I'll probably be getting a dark wood coffee table and a medium-dark brownish micro fiber couch. I have light colored walls/carpet, and the open kitchen area will have a light oak kitchen table/white backed chairs. The Onkyo is the rouge element out there as it might be too big for both stands but without exact cubby height measurements I just don't know. Plus I hear the Onkyos get hot and need some breathing room so I may be forced to get an audio stand anyway.

Edit:

To the person who mentioned the 607, wow, I just looked up the dimensions of the Onkyo I bought and it's a beast. I should get it physically later today via UPS.

Onkyo TX-NR809 (my model):
17.1 x 17.1 x 7.8 inches

Onkyo TX-SR607 (model mentioned having a hard fit):
Dimensions (W x H x D): 17.13 x 6.94 x 12.94 inches

scarymonkey fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 28, 2011

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

scarymonkey posted:

To answer some of the questions:

I got Onkyo SKS-HT540 7.1 speaker system (paid $166 on sale):
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/430199-REG/Onkyo_SKSHT540_SKS_HT530_Home_Theater_Speakers.html

I'm building out the rest of the room so it makes it a little tough to decide. Room size is around 12x13 feet. The wood one is also available in black wood. I'll probably be getting a dark wood coffee table and a medium-dark brownish micro fiber couch. I have light colored walls/carpet, and the open kitchen area will have a light oak kitchen table/white backed chairs. The Onkyo is the rouge element out there as it might be too big for both stands but without exact cubby height measurements I just don't know. Plus I hear the Onkyos get hot and need some breathing room so I may be forced to get an audio stand anyway.

Edit:

To the person who mentioned the 607, wow, I just looked up the dimensions of the Onkyo I bought and it's a beast. I should get it physically later today via UPS.

17.1 x 17.1 x 7.8 inches

Yeah, an enclosed TV stand probably would not be the best due to air flow/heat issues. Another issue is the center channel. Since the TV is going to take up the top of the stand, the speaker would take up space on the top shelf. Plus that shelf is more than likely going to put the speaker closer to the ground than ear level. Have you considered a unit in which you can mount the TV?

My Onkyo SR608 has plenty of space at the bottom. My Infinity Primus PC350 center channel speaker is obviously larger than the Onkyo center channel, but the TV can be adjusted up and down to give it just enough clearance for whatever speaker put there.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

CheshireCat posted:

Yeah, an enclosed TV stand probably would not be the best due to air flow/heat issues. Another issue is the center channel. Since the TV is going to take up the top of the stand, the speaker would take up space on the top shelf. Plus that shelf is more than likely going to put the speaker closer to the ground than ear level. Have you considered a unit in which you can mount the TV?

My Onkyo SR608 has plenty of space at the bottom. My Infinity Primus PC350 center channel speaker is obviously larger than the Onkyo center channel, but the TV can be adjusted up and down to give it just enough clearance for whatever speaker put there.

For sure that looks more practical, but I'm just not a big fan of setup/look of a TV without a base, just looks too weird to me. Also don't people constantly bump into that left speaker when walking in/out of the dining area?

scarymonkey fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 28, 2011

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

scarymonkey posted:

For sure that looks more practical, but I'm just not a big fan of setup/look of a TV without a base, just looks too weird to me. Also don't people constantly bump into that left speaker when walking in/out of the dining area?
I wasn't a fan either, at first, but I like how it looks now plus the practicality of it. My HDTV is now at eye level and the center channel is now closer up to ear level. As for the P362 on the left, people don't bump into it but bounce off that 50 lbs motherfucker. I had to work with the layout of my apartment so it's not ideal, but there's enough space to squeeze by or just walk around the other side of the dining room table. And the cable management in the back is a lot better now.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

scarymonkey posted:

17.1 x 17.1 x 7.8 inches

I was tripping out at a 17.1" tall receiver, so I hit the Onkyo site to see the actual specs: 17 1/8" x 7 13/16" x 17 1/8". Even that is pretty loving huge though, so I would definitely look at the measurements to make sure it will fit where you want it to go. I would also recommend some sort of open airflow, although my setup is fairly closed and I haven't been having any issues. The back of it is completely open, though, and I keep the ceiling fan going almost 24/7.

Excuse the mess, and the crappy speakers/stands. Gonna get 'em replaced eventually.

whocares8310
Sep 22, 2010

Sir, I think it's pronounced nook-ya-ler.
Here's mine so far.

Westinghouse 42" LED-LCD 120Hz TV
Core2Duo Based HTPC Running XBMC
Wii with Bootloader
Wireless Keyboard and Mouse for now
Windows Media Center Remote with RF USB remote receiver
Altec Lansing 2.1 Speakers as a Temporary Solution to the miserable television speakers.

There's an Onkyo Receiver and Klipsch speakers are in the works.

Movie on is MILK

wtfmoses
Dec 21, 2004

Get serias

Just finished this.

Pictured: Samsung 8 Series 55" LED LCD TV
Velodyne Speakers and sub

Working on an HTPC solution and supporting alternatives etc. PS3 and Xbox + receiver in the cabinets.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

wtfmoses posted:

Just finished this.

Working on an HTPC solution and supporting alternatives etc. PS3 and Xbox + receiver in the cabinets.

As the great Beavis would say, "drat that's smooth."

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Built a shelf last night for the uverse box and wdtv for the bedroom tv. Goodbye ugly floor shelf and cable mess!

Edit: I may have gone a little overboard with the velcro...

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 12, 2011

UnholyCow
Oct 6, 2005

No such thing! Those cables are neat as gently caress and it makes me happy to see it.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

wtfmoses posted:

Just finished this.

Very smooth looking and tasteful indeed. :waycool:

That sofa doesn't look like it has sufficient support for your neck, though, when watching a TV mounted that high up. Looks like you'll need a recliner. =)

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

devmd01 posted:

Edit: I may have gone a little overboard with the velcro...

That's a really nice clean installation.. very professional looking

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

wtfmoses posted:

Just finished this.

Get some color in that room, that beige on beige is really sad.

wtfmoses
Dec 21, 2004

Get serias

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Very smooth looking and tasteful indeed. :waycool:

That sofa doesn't look like it has sufficient support for your neck, though, when watching a TV mounted that high up. Looks like you'll need a recliner. =)

I was standing on the stairs leading down from the room so the viewing angle is actually quite comfortable.

thecopsarehere
Jul 25, 2008

What I've managed to cobble together as a student:

Sansui 1000x receiver
Sony CD Player
Jensen JHS 63 speakers that I can find no info about but sound great to me
23" Acer monitor
27" Magnavox TV
Lenovo Thinkpad sl410 and Nintendo 64 on shelves behind the tapestry

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

thecopsarehere posted:

Sansui 1000x receiver

This is a neat little piece of equipment. Vintage wooden stuff looks so good compared to plastic monstrosities of today. Does it still work without problems or did you have to clean or fix it?

thecopsarehere
Jul 25, 2008

Works more or less without issue after a decent cleaning of the pots. Very faint highish pitched static from left channel that you can't hear from more than a couple feet away. Probably overpaid a bit from ebay (85 shipped) but I needed to replace my old Kenwood that was crapping out. I love the look of these old things too, all the bulbs work and the green tuner dial looks great in low light. Maye one of these days I'll have someone who knows what they're doing go over it.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Why the TV if you have a flatscreen? Looks nice for a budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thecopsarehere
Jul 25, 2008

My aunt gave me the TV several years ago and I only ever use it to play the N64, which is rare. A flatscreen TV would be the next logical upgrade but the monitor is perfectly fine for now. I'll likely be moving within a year anyway and that would be another thing to lug around. And thanks, I'm pleased with how it worked out.