Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

FoxMcCloud posted:

I've seen a lot of info about people moving from unlimited 3G to 4G, but I haven't seen anything about feature phones. Is there any chance if I use a cheap old feature phone and get the unlimited data plan before July 7th, that I could upgrade to a smartphone later and keep unlimited data?

No you'd have to get a tiered plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

low-key-taco posted:

Due to crazy cost difference of android phone vs iphones for me and my girl ($200X2 for iphone, $150 BOGO on android) I ended up signing up with verizon and getting two HTC incredible 2s. I dithered a bit on droid x2 vs incredible and went with the htc randomly but I can return them. Reviews on these phones seem pretty spec heavy, anyone have thoughts?

Three main differences:

1) Higher-res screen on the X2, but some people HATE the Pentile matrix they used, while others don't even notice it. This is totally a matter of personal preference.

2) Dual-core processor on the X vs single-core on Inc2. Could be a big deal down the road, but not particularly so right now, especially given...

3) Sense UI (HTC) vs Blur (Moto). Sense seems to be the better-liked of these two, but it's again a matter of personal preference.

There's also the global capability of the Inc2, if that matters to you, and the Inc2 has also been unlocked/rooted and will probably have a decent development community, while the X2 has a locked bootloader that will likely never be cracked unless Moto themselves unlock it.

You can't really go wrong with either phone, since most of the differences are up to personal preference. If you can't live without knowing that your phone has cutting-edge specs, and the screen doesn't bother you, better get the X2 instead. Otherwise the Inc2 should last you a good long while, and it'll likely have MUCH better community support in the long run.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.

low-key-taco posted:

Due to crazy cost difference of android phone vs iphones for me and my girl ($200X2 for iphone, $150 BOGO on android) I ended up signing up with verizon and getting two HTC incredible 2s. I dithered a bit on droid x2 vs incredible and went with the htc randomly but I can return them. Reviews on these phones seem pretty spec heavy, anyone have thoughts?

I, personally, prefer the Incredible 2 over the X2. HTC generally makes a pretty solid phone. There have also been some reports of X2 hardware issues (although I have not seen any evidence of this in store), and I am less than pleased with Motorola's quality of major Android updates thus far. I have had to assist with more hard resets for issues relating to Moto Droid X1 Froyo -> Gingerbread updates than I have had to for any phone before.

FoxMcCloud posted:

I've seen a lot of info about people moving from unlimited 3G to 4G, but I haven't seen anything about feature phones. Is there any chance if I use a cheap old feature phone and get the unlimited data plan before July 7th, that I could upgrade to a smartphone later and keep unlimited data?
Confirming what jfreder said. I just found out at work today, dumbphone unlimited plans will not be upgradable to smartphone unlimited plans, only smartphone tiered plans.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.

SpacedOut posted:

Direct fill (aka Direct Fulfillment) means an item will be shipped directly to a customer's residence or workplace. In the case of the Droid 3, it's probably due to (perceived) high demand, so they're making them available as soon as they hit Verizon's warehouse before they can even get them out to retail stores.

Awesome - thanks!

One thing I've yet to see confirmed is how much memory the D3 will have.

Bambi fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 2, 2011

Obscure Username
May 31, 2011

low-key-taco posted:

Where did you find this buy one get one free on droid incredible 2s? Been looking around and can't seem to find anything.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bambi posted:

Awesome - thanks!

One thing I've yet to see confirmed is how much memory the D3 will have.

Everything I've heard says 512MB.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

Kyrosiris posted:

Everything I've heard says 512MB.
This is correct.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

dominator posted:

This is correct.

Didn't Moto learn their lesson about skimping on RAM with the OG Droid?? :doh:

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Dunno on offer. I went into a verizon store asking for two iphones and the girl offered sweet deals on android phones if I'd consider one.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

I'm a longtime Verizon customer (10 years) and I've put off getting a smartphone until this recent move to tiered data. I was able to use the new every two plus loyalty and online discounts for an Incredible 2 which I should get next week.

My wife uses an additional line on this account and has an enV touch with the $9.99 data pack now. She's not eligible for upgrade until mid-December this year. Would it be a crazy idea to get her a used smart phone and get her on unlimited data in the next few days too? Is that even possible before July 7th? Price is a consideration unfortunately, but I'm thinking about the next 2 1/2 - 3 years. From the thread, I guess the current phone won't qualify for grandfathered unlimited data when she's eligible for upgrade?

She's not a heavy data user now but a good phone could change that. If this is doable, is there a cheap holdover phone that I could put her on unlimited data with until her upgrade? Is it worth doing this? Or could I possibly talk them into an early upgrade if I add data? Thanks to any Verizon experts, I've been talking with Verizon customer service for several hours the last couple of days and the reps couldn't really address this.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You can get a Palm Pixi Plus off contract from Newegg right now for $60.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875101038&cm_re=palm_pixi-_-75-101-038-_-Product

If you got fast shipping on it, you can probably get it before next Thursday.

It's also very possible that you could snag an early upgrade going from a featurephone to a smartphone as well.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.
I have a Motorola Droid (first gen) and I just installed EasyTether on it. I have unlimited data with my phone.

Does anyone else use this, or another app (like PDA Net)? I don't pay for cable internet right now, so it's working great and seems like it could be viable for my usual surfing. It's a little sluggish for YouTube and other streaming media, but I should be getting a 4G phone soon enough to take care of that.

So, my question is, will Verizon charge me for the data I use with this app? I figure since I have unlimited data on my plan, they shouldn't, but I don't need to get a surprise bill for hundreds of dollars either.

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

If I bought the Incredible 2 off of Amazon is there anything stopping me from selling it and purchasing a Bionic off of Craigslist/ebay/etc. when it comes out? Or does the 180 day thing apply to that as well? It shouldn't because it's just the plan that needs to remain uncancelled for the 180 days, it doesn't matter what device is on it right?

Or maybe I'm confused about the whole thing. I really want to hold out for the Bionic. I currently have a lovely LG Dare with unlimited data that I've been eligible to upgrade since November. But it was confirmed by the VZW support twitter account that I'll be able to keep my contract when upgrading? So I can just sit back , wait for the Bionic to come out and upgrade to it then (at discounted price) and still have the unlimited data plan?

Cart Mountain fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 2, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Beowulf LaGrange posted:

If I bought the Incredible 2 off of Amazon is there anything stopping me from selling it and purchasing a Bionic off of Craigslist/ebay/etc. when it comes out? Or does the 180 day thing apply to that as well? It shouldn't because it's just the plan that needs to remain uncancelled for the 180 days, it doesn't matter what device is on it right?

Yeah, they only care about the plan. So as long as that line remains active, you can sell off that Incredible 2 and buy whatever you want to put on the line.

quote:

Or maybe I'm confused about the whole thing. I really want to hold out for the Bionic. I currently have a lovely LG Dare with unlimited data that I've been eligible to upgrade since November. But it was confirmed by the VZW support twitter account that I'll be able to keep my contract when upgrading? So I can just sit back , wait for the Bionic to come out and upgrade to it then (at discounted price) and still have the unlimited data plan?

No, you need smartphone unlimited data to be grandfathered in. Dumbphone/featurephone unlimited data doesn't count.

If you want to get unlimited data but want the bionic (and you don't want to deal with selling phones like above), either buy a really cheap smartphone (new or used) like the palm pixie i linked above or buy a phone from a retailer with a very generous return policy like Costco (who gives you 90 days).

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

Alright, thanks for the info.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Penguissimo posted:

Didn't Moto learn their lesson about skimping on RAM with the OG Droid?? :doh:

I know there's a few that have 768 and 1gb of memory, but is 512 really all that bad? I'm coming from a 3gs, so I know some things about low memory but people talk like 512 is the kiss of death.

Also, how many apps out there still require internal storage only installation? With all the problems that are still unresolved with the thunderbolt, it seems like the only real alternative is the Charge, but everyone dogs the 2gb of storage as another kiss of death, even though the thunderbolt really only has 4gb with 2.6gb available.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Ryokurin posted:

I know there's a few that have 768 and 1gb of memory, but is 512 really all that bad? I'm coming from a 3gs, so I know some things about low memory but people talk like 512 is the kiss of death.

Also, how many apps out there still require internal storage only installation? With all the problems that are still unresolved with the thunderbolt, it seems like the only real alternative is the Charge, but everyone dogs the 2gb of storage as another kiss of death, even though the thunderbolt really only has 4gb with 2.6gb available.

It's not that 512 is a huge problem today, but much like with the OG Droid, it's less than is being put in other top phones, and could end up choking performance as memory requirements increase with new apps and versions of Android. For a device that has you signing a two-year contract, it's dispiriting to see the thing being so poorly future-proofed.

edit: vvv what he said. Also, the phone HTC is having trouble fitting Gingerbread onto is the Desire.

Penguissimo fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 3, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Ryokurin posted:

512mb of Ram certainly isn't an issue today (and will likely never be for average users) but for power user's like people on these forums I can see it being an issue.

I would honestly be more concerned about how moto will be able to squeeze future android OS updates onto the phone at this point than app and game performance. HTC is going through that right now with one of their phones (forgot which one).

Basically, it's fine for your average natty lite drinkin beer pong playin broceph :cheers: which is a market that's far more profitable than power user sperglord on internet forum.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

512mb of Ram certainly isn't an issue today (and will likely never be for average users) but for power user's like people on these forums I can see it being an issue.

I would honestly be more concerned about how moto will be able to squeeze future android OS updates onto the phone at this point than app and game performance. HTC is going through that right now with one of their phones (forgot which one).

Basically, it's fine for your average natty lite drinkin beer pong playin broceph :cheers: which is a market that's far more profitable than power user sperglord on internet forum.
Well to be fair, power user sperglords probably weren't going to buy the D3 anyways what with the no LTE thing. But still, agreed.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

dominator posted:

Well to be fair, power user sperglords probably weren't going to buy the D3 anyways what with the no LTE thing. But still, agreed.

Yeah, that was kinda my point as well (just forgot to put it in there :( ).

LTE question: Is there some sort of website or map with a timeline of when certain cities/areas will get LTE? Im wondering when Long Island will get it (specifically Suffolk County) :(

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
My wife just upgraded her phone to a Thunderbolt from a Storm2, needless to say she's very happy. I noticed while we were buying her's 3 other people got Tbolts too. I asked if there has been increase in sales since the tiers announcement and it was a resounding yes. So there's punishment for Verizon's tiering, increased sales. I hope they learn!

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Radio Nowhere posted:

My wife just upgraded her phone to a Thunderbolt from a Storm2, needless to say she's very happy. I noticed while we were buying her's 3 other people got Tbolts too. I asked if there has been increase in sales since the tiers announcement and it was a resounding yes. So there's punishment for Verizon's tiering, increased sales. I hope they learn!

They will learn real quick when new activations for smartphones "throttle down" beginning July 7th.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
If I buy a phone online from Amazon or Costco and sign up for a data plan will it matter if I end up activating it after the 7th?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Radio Nowhere posted:

You always get a run on sales with people trying to get in before the new policies hit. I had a great end of January because February 1st sprint started charging an extra $10 for all smartphones.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

bull3964 posted:

No, you need smartphone unlimited data to be grandfathered in. Dumbphone/featurephone unlimited data doesn't count.

If you want to get unlimited data but want the bionic (and you don't want to deal with selling phones like above), either buy a really cheap smartphone (new or used) like the palm pixie i linked above or buy a phone from a retailer with a very generous return policy like Costco (who gives you 90 days).

According to a Verizon salesman I talked with, the grandfathering also won't hold if you upgrade from a 3G phone to a 4G phone (such as what you describe). So if you want the Bionic, you'd have to get a Charge, Thunderbolt, or Revolution.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Cockmaster posted:

According to a Verizon salesman I talked with, the grandfathering also won't hold if you upgrade from a 3G phone to a 4G phone (such as what you describe). So if you want the Bionic, you'd have to get a Charge, Thunderbolt, or Revolution.

What the heck? That runs counter to everything else we've heard so far.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I'm actually waiting for the 7th before I buy a new phone. The tiered plans are a net positive compared to the current tethering plans IF you use more data tethering than you do on the device. Personally, I've never gone above 400mb or so on mobile data, but I hit around 5gb tethering every month.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

NofrikinfuN posted:

I'm actually waiting for the 7th before I buy a new phone. The tiered plans are a net positive compared to the current tethering plans IF you use more data tethering than you do on the device. Personally, I've never gone above 400mb or so on mobile data, but I hit around 5gb tethering every month.

Or just root the phone and tether without paying? I think $30 a month for tethering is crazy.

I hit 3+GBs on my Evo this month. I couldn't do a cap.

ForkPat
Aug 5, 2003

All the food is poison

bull3964 posted:

the palm pixie i linked above

Verizon Pixi Plus is only 46.99 at Amazon. If you have Prime, next day is only 3.99. By far the best deal to get a smartphone before the 7th.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Hopefully a Verizon rep or someone knowledgeable can help me. My fiance has a blackberry with 8 months left on the agreement on her parent's family plan. I got her an Iphone and added her to my AT&T plan, so we need to make the blackberry line and the associated data plan go away.
We want to transfer the 8 month contract to her mother's line, which is out of contract and she has no interest in an upgrade, while keeping her mothers number intact.
We discussed it with one Verizon rep who gave us a long logic problem of steps that started out by switching phone numbers between devices and possibly involved a dummy esn at some point, but ended with her mothers phone now having the 8 month contract, the blackberry removed from the plan, and the associated number lost to the cosmos.
When she went in with her mother to a different Verizon store (in a different state) none of the reps knew how to do it(we had forgotten the steps by then) and said it wasn't possible and the only way to make the blackberry line go away was to pay the etf.
Does anybody know what steps we can take to get this done? We DO NOT care about losing the number on the blackberry since she has a new AT&T number that she now uses, but the mother's number has to be on her phone when the process is complete.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Or just root the phone and tether without paying? I think $30 a month for tethering is crazy.

I hit 3+GBs on my Evo this month. I couldn't do a cap.

Why does it have to be rooted to tether? I run PdaNet on my unrooted OG Droid without any issues that I know of.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Bambi posted:

Why does it have to be rooted to tether? I run PdaNet on my unrooted OG Droid without any issues that I know of.

Wireless tether requires root I think but I'm not super familiar with PdaNet.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

How do you guys get away with free wireless tethering anyway? Is Verizon just unable to distinguish between phone and tethered traffic?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

NofrikinfuN posted:

This makes perfect sense in today's 3g data speed world. Truth is, 400mb on LTE, which has speeds 8-10x that of 3g, will download data much faster. So, let's say you buy a phone at Verizon on July 8th. It's a 4g phone (LG Revolution for example). You quickly realize its much faster than what you're used to...and your usage patterns change from the old 3g world. You open up Netflix and watch TV/Movies (as shown on the Verizon TV commercial). After watching a few things, you realize you blasted through that 2 gigs.

So maybe Netflix isn't your thing. Doesn't matter. There are many data-hungry apps and uses for 4g that I would cringe at having a limitation on LTE speeds. Personally, I don't want to worry every time I jump on my phone and start using data at 20mbps. It will eventually slow, but fact is it's still much faster than VZW's 3g EVDO network. If you are planning on going to VZW, purposely waiting until data caps begin before signing up makes, well, no sense at all (unless you are waiting on the Bionic or something).

decoy octopus
Oct 26, 2005

You fat Loco, you fat

Cockmaster posted:

That's incorrect. According to our verizon training and the sheets I've seen as long as you go Smartphone -> Smartphone you'll always get grandfathered unlimited data.

How I see people screwing themselves if say they break their phone no insurance, and activate a phone they have lying around like an Env or whatever normal phone and they think that if they keep the data plan it'll still be unlimited but Normal/Feature Phone data plans aren't the same and they'd get put on tiered

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Cockmaster posted:

He's wrong. This has been covered so much in the past week and has been cross verified a ton of times.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

kmcormick9 posted:

Hopefully a Verizon rep or someone knowledgeable can help me. My fiance has a blackberry with 8 months left on the agreement on her parent's family plan. I got her an Iphone and added her to my AT&T plan, so we need to make the blackberry line and the associated data plan go away.
We want to transfer the 8 month contract to her mother's line, which is out of contract and she has no interest in an upgrade, while keeping her mothers number intact.
We discussed it with one Verizon rep who gave us a long logic problem of steps that started out by switching phone numbers between devices and possibly involved a dummy esn at some point, but ended with her mothers phone now having the 8 month contract, the blackberry removed from the plan, and the associated number lost to the cosmos.
When she went in with her mother to a different Verizon store (in a different state) none of the reps knew how to do it(we had forgotten the steps by then) and said it wasn't possible and the only way to make the blackberry line go away was to pay the etf.
Does anybody know what steps we can take to get this done? We DO NOT care about losing the number on the blackberry since she has a new AT&T number that she now uses, but the mother's number has to be on her phone when the process is complete.

You've already realized Verizon won't swap them around. The contract is tied to the phone number (line of service), not the phone.

Since you don't mind losing your fiance's phone number, you can replace it with her mother's by first porting her mother's number out to a no contract prepay carrier. AT&T will activate a goPhone SIM for $15 if you tell them you already have a phone. Ask for the account number and PIN. Now have Verizon port the AT&T number onto your fiance's line, replacing her number with mom's. Fiance's number may be lost forever, but now mom's number has the 8 month contract.

I believe the number portability laws technically require carriers to hold onto a disconnected number for 90 days. Someone else should clarify whether a disconnected number can be ported out, or if that 90 days requirement means a customer can come back to a carrier and have their old number reactivated. If its the former, I'd wait a billing cycle to confirm one Verizon line is gone and mom's line has the contract. Then port fiance's disconnected number to AT&T or a forwarding service like Google Voice.

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!

hotsauce posted:

They will learn real quick when new activations for smartphones "throttle down" beginning July 7th.

Regardless of what happens to their monthly new subscriber rate, they've locked thousands of former dumbphone and feature phone users into new $30/mo data plans. All people who were considering getting smartphones eventually but were dragging their feet for whatever reason. In no way can this be viewed as a net negative for Verizon... it's great business.

Customers, on the other hand....

calmasahinducow
Oct 31, 2004
i am a pirate of the high seas
My AT&T phone broke two days ago and I'm so happy I found this thread just in time. Just ordered an Incredible 2 off Amazon with a 2 year contract and the lady responsible for porting my number called me like an hour later. An improvement over AT&T already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

tismondo posted:

Regardless of what happens to their monthly new subscriber rate, they've locked thousands of former dumbphone and feature phone users into new $30/mo data plans. All people who were considering getting smartphones eventually but were dragging their feet for whatever reason. In no way can this be viewed as a net negative for Verizon... it's great business.

Well, they just traded business later for business now, since they've snagged people who were probably going to get smartphones and $30/month data plans anyway, just later on.

Then again, I don't know if the "average" person knows or even cares about tiered data. They won't know until after next Thursday when they buy that hot new phone and then discover it costs :10bux: in data charges to watch a Netflix movie.

• Locked thread