Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

He carried our avenging steel over the Rhine,
He drank the emperor's toast from the Danube.
Persistent Wordls-module for Warband. It's basically retarded little brother of cRPG where instead of huge awesome battles you farm wood and rp. NA admins are huge idiots with insane rules that they can't seem to uphold, rampart favorism and biased poo poo. Couple goons with me have been playing it when we're bored, rolling as Outlaws so we could grief these spergknights as much as possible. Camp engineers building boats as Sailor, as soon as boat spawn jump into it, propel that bitch into insane speed with your superior sailing skill and just ram into damaged ships until they break and drown their crew. Raid castles for that sweet, delicious, farmed gold while no-one's looking, make rp-knights lose their poo poo and spam abuse-button when you hold them up as peasant with siege crossbow and demand their money, then one-shot them in middle of their chivalrious speech. It's kinda like mixture of good old SW:G sperging and TTT, in medieval setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Guys, was I imagining it or were there some posts in this thread about griefing in UO where people made suicide donkeys etc. by putting explosive stuff in packs on the donkeys and leaving them around banks etc.? I've been trying to find them because I swear I read about that here, but I can't seem to find anything.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Pretty sure that was here. Pack mules loaded up with purple (explosion) potions.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Guys, was I imagining it or were there some posts in this thread about griefing in UO where people made suicide donkeys etc. by putting explosive stuff in packs on the donkeys and leaving them around banks etc.? I've been trying to find them because I swear I read about that here, but I can't seem to find anything.

I think I mentioned this about 5000 pages ago but in Space Station 13 I used to set monkeys loose throughout the station wearing backpacks that were either empty or contained massive time bombs. Hijinks ensued and then I was banned from the scientist job but it was totally worth it.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Here4DaGangBang posted:

It could be done with any animal. We called them horse bombs. You'd kill a horse and fill it's loot window with explode potions or lava bombs. Then you'd throw one on the ground and let it count down. Just before it explodes you put it with the others in the dead horse. Cast resurrection on the horse and you're ready to go. Take the horse into a big group of people at the bank and say "All drop." The horse will dump it's inventory and pretty much instantly explode. If you put in enough potions you could kill maxed out players in one hit this way.

KimJongUnstoppable
Sep 18, 2010

Juche Lyfe 4 Ever!
I can't remember where it is in the thread, but it was back near the beginning. If you were to search for that post, I think the guy referred to them as Llama Bombs.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Nebelwerfer posted:

Camp engineers building boats as Sailor, as soon as boat spawn jump into it, propel that bitch into insane speed with your superior sailing skill and just ram into damaged ships until they break and drown their crew. Raid castles for that sweet, delicious, farmed gold while no-one's looking, make rp-knights lose their poo poo and spam abuse-button when you hold them up as peasant with siege crossbow and demand their money, then one-shot them in middle of their chivalrious speech.

Surprisingly historically accurate!

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

zygotesix posted:

I can't remember where it is in the thread, but it was back near the beginning. If you were to search for that post, I think the guy referred to them as Llama Bombs.

Brilliant, thank you!

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Please excuse the long-rear end post.

Backstabbing your teammate in random team ladder games for Warcraft 3 is a very easy way to piss somebody off, but it always felt a little boring to me. So I'd try to get a little creative with it and instead screw over my teammates by being completely useless. For example, I might do nothing but make a pen of farms and fill it with mechanical sheep, then roleplay my archmage hero as a shepherd the entire match.

I actually managed to pull through and win doing this kind of poo poo a couple times. Once I chose night elves and did nothing but build a ton of their structures, which are capable of attacking enemy units and can uproot and walk around at sub-glacial speeds to reposition themselves. The enemy team ignored me for ages, and once I had a massive forest of tree-buildings, I uprooted them all and waited 10+ minutes for them to slowly shamble towards the enemy bases, which they somehow took out and won the match.

Another time I only built massive numbers of worker units and made it my mission to deforest the entirety of the map, making it clear to my teammates that I wasn't interested in war and was running a peaceful logging business. I was wiped out a couple times but it's pretty easy to rebuild when you aspire for nothing but peons. Towards the end of the game, the enemy side took down both of my allies but suffered heavy casualties. Seeing as I only had peons, they went in and tried to finish me off. It didn't work. My peons swarmed over them like locusts, with new peons being churned out for every one that fell. My massive peon army then went in to destroy all of their bases. It was a glorious working class revolution.

For more Warcraft-related poo poo, I played an alliance rogue in vanilla WoW. Nearly every day over the course of several months, I'd hang out stealthed in Orgrimmar, the opposing capital, and kill people over and over as they tried to bank and auction. I'd also kill off all of the supply vendors in well-traveled areas of the city, which the game penalized you for, but I didn't really mind. Pretty funny when you have 15 people crowding a vendor only to pop in out of nowhere, take it out, and vanish without a trace to everybody's bewilderment. Sometimes my friends would come along and we'd continually murder the flightmaster as well. Extra fun when I dual boxed on my friend's account with a lowbie horde spy, so I could see everyone getting pissy in general chat. A spy was also pretty useful for getting people to pvp flag themselves by asking for buffs, or to lure lone people to isolated areas.

I also had a warlock. Warlocks can enslave mobs that are classified as demons and temporarily use them as a combat pet. It's typically a pretty useless skill, but there was one very unique type of succubus at the beginning of the first expansion. One of her abilities was a straightforward damaging attack that took a hefty chunk out of something's health bar and had a short cooldown. The neat thing about that ability was that unlike every other offensive ability in the game, it would work if you had players of your faction targeted. So I'd enslave this thing and run around friendly towns murdering everyone, and they couldn't do a drat thing about it. Couldn't even slow down or root the succubus. Once she was after someone, they were hosed.

The last thing I'll mention is something I only did once, as I was told to stop by some GMs (though they seemed about as disappointed as I was to have it end). In Orgrimmar, there was this guy called the battlemaster. For horde to enter the pvp battlegrounds, they needed to talk to this guy and then wait in a queue. This meant the building was typically pretty packed. What we did was hide up here in a place that you aren't supposed to be able to get up to:

Nobody ever saw us even though we were up there for a couple hours, aside from a few horde guys we knew who came up to watch the show. The interesting thing about the battlemaster NPC is that he does a very strong AoE whirlwind attack every few seconds in combat. However, if you went up on that platform he didn't know what the gently caress was going on and just stood in place, using his whirlwind every time the cooldown finished. This whirlwind also damaged horde members who didn't have a fairly high reputation with his faction. So every 10 seconds or so, half the people around him would fall over dead and take an armor durability hit while everyone else was confused as poo poo.

Many, many people died that day. I screenshotted the first few. I really like the last section where 6 people die at once.

Good times. I was also one of those assholes who kept the infamous blood plague thriving, which can be read about here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrupted_Blood_incident

Doing dumb stuff like this was really the only thing that kept me playing WoW. Playing it normally seems boring in comparison.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 6, 2011

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Vargs posted:

Please excuse the long-rear end post.

Backstabbing your teammate in random team ladder games for Warcraft 3 is a very easy way to piss somebody off, but it always felt a little boring to me. So I'd try to get a little creative with it and instead screw over my teammates by being completely useless. For example, I might do nothing but make a pen of farms and fill it with mechanical sheep, then roleplay my archmage hero as a shepherd the entire match.

I actually managed to pull through and win doing this kind of poo poo a couple times. Once I chose night elves and did nothing but build a ton of their structures, which are capable of attacking enemy units and can uproot and walk around as sub-glacial speeds to reposition themselves. The enemy team ignored me for ages, and once I had a massive forest of tree-buildings, I uprooted them all and waited 10+ minutes for them to slowly shamble towards the enemy bases, which they somehow took out and won the match.

Another time I only built massive numbers of worker units and made it my mission to deforest the entirety of the map, making it clear to my teammates that I wasn't interested in war and was running a peaceful logging business. I was wiped out a couple times but it's pretty easy to rebuild when you aspire for nothing but peons. Towards the end of the game, the enemy side took down both of my allies but took heavy casualties. Seeing as I only had peons, they went in and tried to finish me off. It didn't work. My peons swarmed over them like locusts, with new peons being churned out for every one that fell. My massive peon army then went in to destroy all of their bases. It was a glorious working class revolution.

These are great.

quote:

For more Warcraft-related poo poo, I played an alliance rogue in vanilla WoW. Nearly every day over the course of several months, I'd hang out stealthed in Orgrimmar, the opposing capital, and kill people over and over as they tried to bank and auction.

That was you! :argh:

Actually, the only people I've seen sneaking into Orgrimmar were trying to get the achievement for fishing some unique mudskipper or crawdad or some poo poo (obviously, this was after they added achievements). Which would take hours, not even counting any times you get killed and have to make your slow and painful way back.

I guess what I'm saying is: WoW is the ultimate grief.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 5, 2011

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Vargs posted:

I actually managed to pull through and win doing this kind of poo poo a couple times. Once I chose night elves and did nothing but build a ton of their structures, which are capable of attacking enemy units and can uproot and walk around as sub-glacial speeds to reposition themselves. The enemy team ignored me for ages, and once I had a massive forest of tree-buildings, I uprooted them all and waited 10+ minutes for them to slowly shamble towards the enemy bases, which they somehow took out and won the match.

This was the foundation for one of my most memorable W3 moments - most of my actual friends played but were considerably more serious and competitive in the game than myself. At one gathering though, we were gathered around one guy's PC, messing around a little, and I pitched the bright idea that we try the above tactic.

The matchup happened to be 2v2 and our ally happened to be Night Elves as well. I don't think I'll ever forget the tension, laughter and triumphant yells and high-fives as our glacial forces ruined the enemy bases and, seeing our successful assaults, the further laughter as our teammate earnestly uprooted his structures and marched upon the enemy.

In a somewhat related case of reverse-grief, I had a bit of a reputation in my clan (a group of jokers who didn't really play very seriously at all) for running the game on a system that could barely handle Warcraft 3 - a PIII monster with 192MB RAM and Voodoo3 ~3dfx~ graphics. My friends' response to this? As a gameplay fix, flying units in Warcraft 3 had their collision removed at one point, meaning that they could fly as a gigantic clump. Thus it was decreed that the funniest way to beat me in a casual 4-man free-for-all would be to max out an army with gyrocopters/flying machines (low-cost aerial units) and assault me in one giant clump, leaving my computer grinding along at 1-2FPS so I'd be completely incapable of performing any kind of mid-battle micromanagement. :(

No harm done though, it was funny enough to be worth the embarrassment.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Sung bible songs on halo with my friend. Constantly.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Now that I've got Blizzard game griefing on the mind, I just remembered a fun thing I spent a bit of time doing after Starcraft 2's release.

One of the more popular custom maps at the time was called Parasite. It was set on a large, isolated space ship and at the beginning, one player would randomly be chosen as the parasite. Everybody only controlled a single unit. The parasite could morph into a human player, and his name would not be displayed on mouseover while in parasite form. His job was to evolve and exterminate all of the humans on the ship while trying sabotage ship functions and throw off suspicion as to his identity as the parasite. The humans' job was to survive, discern which of them was the parasite, and band together to find/kill it. Which could be problematic, seeing as nobody had map vision to one another and everybody had a very short line of sight, combined with the fact that the game kind of encourages people to spread out a bit. If the parasite died, the remaining humans won. If a human died, he was instantly booted from the game. Lots of social manipulation going on, with everybody very suspicious of one another.

It was a pretty drat fun map once you got the hang of how it worked. A very Alien/The Thing kind of experience. Unfortunately, the most fun part was being the parasite, and that was a rare occurrence. So eventually I took to griefing the poo poo out of all my fellow humans. Casting suspicion on innocents until they end up being gunned down by their teammates was always a laugh, and there were plenty of opportunities to sabotage equipment and kill those who were alone. Just took out the generator? Start freaking out in chat about how you saw xxXgokuultimateXxx head towards it just a second prior to its shutdown and gather some people to go hunt him down, even though in actuality he didn't do anything worse than choose a horrible name. Steal all the food and supplies, or blow up the shop and everyone crowding around it. Blame it on someone else, and try to earn the trust of everyone you're plotting to murder.

My favorite trick was picking up a remotely detonated mine from the equipment storage. I'd place it right on top of the main ship control console, where it was pretty much impossible to notice. You also had a little bit of line of sight where you placed your mine, so you'd be able to see anybody who walked over it. I'd then head into an escape shuttle and start firing upon the main ship. This gives everybody alert message spam, and the only good way to stop the ship from being destroyed is to head to the main control room and use the defense system to shoot down the shuttle. The control room that houses my mine, which one-hit kills anyone within its significantly large radius. I only wish my little shuttle had a :smug: emote for the ship pilot to see the second before I hit the detonation button.

After the brave defenders were turned into chunks, I could dock my shuttle and nobody would be the wiser as to who it was. I could just go grab another mine and do it again if I wanted, and often killed off my entire team one-by-one in doing so, especially since the survivors had no idea how their crewmates died unless they were standing in the doorway of the control room watching as it all happened. Sometimes you even get the parasite, as he tends not to be interested in going down with the ship either.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Vargs posted:

Now that I've got Blizzard game griefing on the mind, I just remembered a fun thing I spent a bit of time doing after Starcraft 2's release.

Oh god ahahahaha, this is fantastic. I've pretty much never played a blizzard game, but all of your stories are amazing.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Vargs posted:

One of the more popular custom maps at the time was called Parasite. It was set on a large, isolated space ship and at the beginning,

Do people still play this game mode, by chance? Because it sounds amazing and like a reason to actually buy SC2.

Mr. Giggles
Nov 4, 2009

Vargs posted:

One of the more popular custom maps at the time was called Parasite.

I played the WC3 version of this mod. It's almost like it was made exclusively with griefing in mind. There's so many different ways to gently caress with people or totally ruin the game that the possibilities were endless. Simple stuff like having the ship's security guns target everyone "to cleanse the ship of infection" or false witch hunts were entertaining. Also I believe there was a frost suit that shot a slowing beam that slowed movement by like 95%, but you could target it on allies to basically permanently slow them. Also using the captain's card to lock people in closets or such was nice.

But working with another person really ramped up the dastardly antics. You could have one guy as the parasite rushing to a shuttle to escape to the planet, and subsequently the other guy would shout over the radio that "it's in the shuttle going to the planet" or whatever, and the other players would rush to take control of the other shuttles. But once they'd get inside, if you had collected all of the remote bombs in the game you could arrange them in a big "LOL" on the floor of the ship and detonate them as they rushed off to get the parasite.

Also shutting off the oxygen and detonating the little closets that had oxygen tanks in them as people approached never failed.

And the cyborg or whatever could arrest people and place them in little jail cells that were really hard to break out of. I think he also had a stun you could use on somebody permanently.

The possibilities with that mod were endless really. I wasn't very creative with it, but there were always new and unique opportunities to grief people in every game.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Sankis posted:

Do people still play this game mode, by chance? Because it sounds amazing and like a reason to actually buy SC2.

I have no idea, I haven't played the game in awhile. Certainly kept me more occupied than actual vanilla SC2 multiplayer did though. I'm loving awful at RTS games.

I was digging through some old WoW screenshots and found a few other choice bits. The pictures may be a little harder to follow, but it's all I've got.

As I mentioned before, I played both a rogue and a warlock. Warlocks have a spell that creates a portal. If two other people in the group touch the portal, you can teleport somebody else in the group to the three of you. Warlocks also have a buff spell that lets the target breathe underwater.

There are very few truly deep bits of water in vanilla WoW, but one of them is off the coast of the underused zone of Azshara. Azshara also happened to be the home of a world dragon, which would spawn maybe once a week or so at a random time. So there was always a bit of a rush to get people together to kill it once it's been spotted before another guild does.

I also happened to be part of the prime raiding guild on the server, and had a lot of friends in the only other alliance guild around our level of progression. One day after finishing said world dragon, myself and a few of those friends were kind of bored and decided to gently caress with some people. We dove as deep as possible into the ocean off Azshara with waterbreathing spells enabled, and got to summoning other players.

Most of the people we got were max level, and we convinced them to join our group and accept the summon by pretending we were low on numbers and needed some help taking out the dragon. With the promise of loot, and the reassurance of our guild tags, most accepted. Every single one drowned. Getting your corpse back from the bottom of the sea in that zone was a relative bitch and a half.

We also snagged a few lowbies by promising to run them through dungeons. Here's a screenshot of a couple. I almost feel bad.

Note Demonicangel dead in the distance, and the setup for convincing people to join us in the chat box.

This one seemed so nice, too. Another corpse in the distance, and the chat log says it all.

Mr. Giggles posted:

But working with another person really ramped up the dastardly antics.

Yeah, I really felt like I missed out only playing solo :( None of my buddies had the patience for the map's fairly steep learning curve.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Nov 14, 2012

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Your posts reminded me of a couple of things I did in WoW back when the second expansion had been out for a while. I'll try to explain the best I can for people who don't play WoW.

In a certain area of the world there was this huge boss-level (basically an enemy you needed 25+ people to beat) demon called Doom Lord Kazzak, one of the few non-dungeon bosses in the game at the time. One of his abilities was a curse that slowly drained your mana, and when your mana was gone, you'd explode, dealing fairly massive area damage. At the time I played a Paladin, a mana-based class with a 10 second invulnerability spell (also called 'a bubble').

So one day I got an idea and went over to where he was, aggroed him from as far a distance as I could, and waited for him to put the curse on me (sometimes he didn't do it so some luck was needed). Once I got it, I bubbled, teleported to my hometown, ran out of the inn to the mailbox and watched the carnage as the manabomb blew up. I did this at a peak hour and the mailbox is always crowded as hell. 39 kills, and I survived. :haw: I wish I had the screenshots of the confusion that followed. Sadly they hotfixed the curse a few days after that so it would vanish if you left the zone Kazzak was in.

The second thing I did was when a new small area called Isle of Quel'danas had come out where both Alliance and Horde players hung out, did daily quests and the new dungeon/raid that had opened there. All over the island were neutral guards (neither Horde nor Alliance) that would insta-kill you if you attacked a player of the other faction while on the island. The first day it opened the place was swarming with players, with some trying PvP and getting promptly killed by the guards. The character I was playing was a druid, with Engineering as his main profession. Engineering allows you to build semi-useless but fun gadgets, one of which was a mind-control cap. It allowed you - with a fairly low percentage of success - to enslave an enemy and make them your pet for a short time. I tried this on an enemy player and for some reason the guards got pissed at him instead of me the second he got possessed. The first thing I did after that was telling all the Engineers in my guild about it, so I got 15-20 people come over with mind-control caps. So many dead bodies. So many.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Sankis posted:

Garry's Mod has a similar version of this, Trouble in Terrorist Town. Same idea, except multiple people are "parasites," or traitors. Also, traitors get all sorts of fun tools.

There was also another GMod mod like that around for a while that was actually more like the SC2 one, with an alien that had special powers and leveled them up as he killed more players. Unfortunately, that one never caught on.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Sounds like all of you guys above would really love SS13 (Space Station 13).

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Since we seem to be on the topic of WoW griefing I may as well chip in.

Back when Cataclysm was in beta, while there was the option of copying your own character or creating a premade on the testing servers, a lot of people were making new characters with the intention of leveling through the newly-updated low level zones.

Cue me creating a premade level 85 rogue and becoming a Horde equivalent of Simo Häyhä. One of the low-level towns, Darkshire, has a building where the rooftop is accessible if you jump from an adjacent ledge where the flight master was located. I spent a full week sniping level 20-something humans, occasionally killing the flight master to prevent the easiest means of escape. And thanks to my stealth ability I was safe when they logged in to their own premades and tried to hunt me down.

I ended that week with what must have been hundreds of lowbie kills, most of them from people who had tried to resurrect and run instead of respawning at the graveyard. And I didn't die once :laugh:

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
I don't think it's been mentioned, but back when the Lich King expansion for World of Warcraft dropped, there was a tiny bug for the new class - Death Knights. One of the specialisations for the class is Unholy, which features a permanent ghoul pet that among it's various abilities is Leap.
Leap does exactly what it says, stunning baddies it's used on, but can also be used to get your pet to hurl itself to safety towards a friendly target out of fire patches on the floor, or whatever. Blizzard however, appeared to have forgotten to make sure that all the NPCs standing around the various cities wouldn't interpret having my rotting pet hurl itself at them as an aggressive action.
So you could, to pluck an example from the air, run up to the city's Flight Master (needed to travel to other places) or BattleMaster (needed to start PvP at the time), get the ghoul to jump on them, use the DK's Taunt to get them to attack you, and then just walk off, leaving a crowd of players unable to PvP or travel to other places faster than their ground mount. i.e. bloody slow.
Unsurprisingly, it was patched fairly soon.

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 6, 2011

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Beach Bum posted:

Does this still not exist on anything but the BYOND engine? The Ship was fun but SS13 was far better, why can't we get a Steam port :argh:

For that reason, a Murder Mansion steam port needs to happen too.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Fabulousity posted:

Yep: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkitz59M5xs

My account is no longer active, but as far as I know I have a level 60 DK on a server somewhere still parked under Alterac.

Another fun WoW glitch that showed up sometime around when ICC was opening up: There was a quest in Icecrown where you'd end up getting a "pet" abomination that you could order around. One of the commands that you could issue it was to explode itself knocking back all enemies in range a pretty ridiculous distance. This also impacted other players in range regardless of faction causing them to go flying pretty far, even taking damage when getting blasted across flat terrain. Normally the abomination pet would despawn once you left the particular area it was meant to be used in unless you used a hearthstone or similar effect. Hearthstones return the player back to a pre-selected location and when used with one of these abomination pets in tow it would fail to despawn and would appear at the target hearth location with the player.

At the time the city of Dalaran was the main hub of all player activity. The city itself sits far, far above the zone it occupies with a main landing area that players land and take off from and generally congregate within.

You can probably see where this is going.

Get abomination pet, hearth back to Dalaran, run out to the landing where dozens of of players are just sitting around, position the abomination appropriately, then KABOOM. If positioned right unlucky players would be blasted over the exterior landing wall and fall several thousand meters to their deaths. I was using a shaman with inscription so I got to make 3 kamikaze runs every half hour when I got bored. Once people started running at the sight of the incoming abomination (they're quite large as seen in the video) I started using baby spice items to shrink them so they'd be less easy to notice waddling into the crowd.

I never got nasty tells or anything, probably because I was blowing away AFKers. The most acknowledgement I got was from someone standing nearby when I blasted 4+ people off the landing at once and that was a high five, not outrage.

We did this but managed to get a warlock involved, so we had a group of people flying to Icecrown, picking up an Abomination, and then getting ported back. We pretty much cleared the landing of people, and even managed to send Mal'Ganis Superstar Miarose over the edge.

Almanac
Mar 16, 2008

OLD SCHOOL
Back in vanilla WoW, a friend and I liked to mess around with the opposing faction by doing a simple lure-and-gank. I had just started playing, so I was running around as a level 30 hunter (pretty weak), while my buddy was a raid-geared level 60 PVP rogue.

Basically, it went like this. I was playing Horde, so I'd go to the outskirts of an Alliance mid-low level area and literally just start bugging out. I'd do the Tauren peanut butter-jelly dance, start spamming flares, yelling, kamikazi'ing my pet into NPC guards, etc. If I had the opportunity, I'd kill a player, but that was pretty rare.

Now, the Alliance guys on this server were paranoid. Any Horde incursion, they would call in max-level guys. So they did. Without fail, within about five minutes of me acting the fool, I'd have a few level 60's coming at me. They would run full tilt at me and then drop over dead, one or two-shotted from backstabs from my buddy, literally falling at my feet as I did train impressions and such.

We did this any number of times and kept it going 30-45 minutes each time, and lured an ungodly amount of Alliance players over to the area. It got to the point eventually where I could walk around alone near Alliance camps and nobody would bother my character, even if my buddy wasn't on. I miss those days.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Stoat posted:

Does this still not exist on anything but the BYOND engine? The Ship was fun but SS13 was far better, why can't we get a Steam port :argh:

Steam isn't a development platform, it's a distribution platform. Do you mean you wish it was ported to the Source Engine?

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Beach Bum posted:

I actually thought they was talking in code about SS13, especially the bit about locking someone in the cabinet with the captains ID (although last I played over a year ago it involved welding so no idea what new additions have been added)

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
One grief in WCIII I can remember (that happened to me when I was still too young/naive to recognize what was happening and just leave and spare myself the trouble :argh:) was moonwell mazing. It was a 3v3 game, and one of the 3 enemies was a night elf.

He did nothing but build a giant maze of moonwells. Covering half the map. For those who don't know, Moonwells in Warcraft are your obligatory supply structure - you need a bunch to support your units - but they also build up energy over time which you can use to heal your units, or just set it to automatically heal nearby friendly units.

Now if you're building a sane number of moonwells (about 10) the heal is handy but not gamebreaking, but when you have 200 of them it's absurd because as soon as your dudes drain the wells in one area you just run into another. So me and my teammates had to deal with 9 enemy heroes who, when cornered, would just run to another part of the maze and instantly zip back to full health. Eventually they'd kill our armies through attrition, then just rebuild the maze.

The game ended when the gold mines tapped out and we got raped by 9 level 10 heroes.

Years later I would use this strategy to beat the last mission of Reign of Chaos on hard. gently caress you archimonde, you ain't got poo poo on my mountain of moonwells. :smug:

President Ark fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 6, 2011

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

World in Conflict is an odd beast to play in if you dont take it seriously.

Apparently players don't like it if you get nothing but light tanks and armored transports and spew AT missiles everywhere.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Stoat posted:

That just made me think of Bloody Good Time. I think there are literally no populated servers for that game anymore, sadly. :(

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Agean90 posted:

World in Conflict is an odd beast to play in if you dont take it seriously.

Apparently players don't like it if you get nothing but light tanks and armored transports and spew AT missiles everywhere.

It used to be really nice online but as with all games with dead communities, all the players left are rear end in a top hat elitists. It's hard to take pleasure in griefing them when almost anything you do will get them mad anyways.

My favourite thing to do was spamming infantry truck transports and capturing areas solo at the start of the match, thereby hoarding all the granted tactical aid points to myself because trucks were faster than most other units. Nuking your own team was great fun as well, especially on the assault maps.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Der Luftwaffle posted:

It used to be really nice online but as with all games with dead communities, all the players left are rear end in a top hat elitists. It's hard to take pleasure in griefing them when almost anything you do will get them mad anyways.

It actually got me kicked from a server one time. Apparently scoring top 3 in the game 3 times in a row against people who've played the game 5x longer than I have using unorthodox tactics means I suck. The more you know.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Stoat posted:

As was explained to me, Because byond was intended to be used by retards who can't program right the byond engine has things built in to be able to handle poo poo that would slow down other engines, and consitering the number of variables on every mundane individual object such as a smoke cloud that lasts for 1 second just to vanish normally it would get to be a clusterfuck of lag if done on any other engine.

I don't know if it's a poo poo explanation but I also would love to see source station 13

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

CitizenKain posted:

We did this but managed to get a warlock involved, so we had a group of people flying to Icecrown, picking up an Abomination, and then getting ported back. We pretty much cleared the landing of people, and even managed to send Mal'Ganis Superstar Miarose over the edge.

Who/what is Miarose?

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

-Troika- posted:

Who/what is Miarose?

Mia Rose is a porn star who plays WoW under her own name on Mal'Ganis, the same realm as Goon Squad.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

-Troika- posted:

Who/what is Miarose?

A porn star who starred in WoW-themed porn. Also an attention whore.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Never thought I'd see the day when a porn star would play WoW. Huh.

Screaming Idiot posted:

A porn star who starred in WoW-themed porn. Also an attention whore.

Oh, of course. But not without being a goonette!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I spent a round breaking plates over peoples heads in SS13... they knock down automatically for a second and its hilarious

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

AtomikKrab posted:

I spent a round breaking plates over peoples heads in SS13... they knock down automatically for a second and its hilarious

Really. I didn't know this. I must test this theory. Repeatedly. On the captain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Beverage
Sep 26, 2007

Full of vitamin chill
With the heavily tile based Alien Swarm SDK stuff, it really should be possible. It'd be such a better game.

• Locked thread