Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Surely Verizon will continue to adjust how much data you get with the $30 data plan based on average usage info, as speeds keep increasing. But what's to stop everyone with grandfathered unlimited plans download useless crap 24/7 to raise the averages? Someone should make an app that downloads and discards useless data nonstop at full speed. Sooner or later they will inevitably kill the old unlimited plans, so people with unlimited plans would be helping out their future tiered selves too. :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

sadus posted:

But what's to stop everyone with grandfathered unlimited plans download useless crap 24/7 to raise the averages?
Statistics? Verizon could use a median or quantile-based approach, or really anything that ignores the top 1% (ab)users.

sadus posted:

Someone should make an app that downloads and discards useless data nonstop at full speed.
Right, because loving over a shared network for absolutely zero benefit is somehow going to result in a better experience for everyone.

I realize you're being facetious, but the problem is that if someone wrote and released such an app, even as a parody, xda-type folks are stupid enough to jump on it big time.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

sadus posted:

Surely Verizon will continue to adjust how much data you get with the $30 data plan based on average usage info, as speeds keep increasing.

Hah, as if.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend
In your contract, it clearly states that you fall into abnormal usage or are in the top 5% of data used, they will throttle you to 2g like T-Mobile does.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Any idea what sort of usage puts you in the top 5%?

I have had a Thunderbolt for only 8 days and have been streaming a lot from Google Music at work, and it looks like I've used up 1.7 GB so far.

Meanwhile my wife has had a Thunderbolt for barely a day, and she has burned through 100MB without even streaming any music. When she had an iPhone 4 on AT&T she used maybe 250MB/month, tops.

I'm glad I got in on the unlimited data before it was too late; these LTE phones make it stupid easy to use up tons of data.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

kitten smoothie posted:

Any idea what sort of usage puts you in the top 5%?

I have had a Thunderbolt for only 8 days and have been streaming a lot from Google Music at work, and it looks like I've used up 1.7 GB so far.

I've run up an average of about 5gb a month from streaming music. One month I had 8.5gb. Nothing serious, but I basically had to TRY and use that much data, and that was with music streaming 20+ hours a week (I use it to stream Slacker Radio at my bar over the speakers). Never heard anything from them, so I assume it was within acceptable usage.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
I just ordered a Thunderbolt from Amazon Wireless, and I'm coming from T-Mobile. The delivery date is July 7. I am able to get a monthly discount through my employer, but the phone must be activated before I can register a Verizon website account to apply the discount. Will I be able to apply the discount July 7 and keep my unlimited data?

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

tvgm2 posted:

I just ordered a Thunderbolt from Amazon Wireless, and I'm coming from T-Mobile. The delivery date is July 7. I am able to get a monthly discount through my employer, but the phone must be activated before I can register a Verizon website account to apply the discount. Will I be able to apply the discount July 7 and keep my unlimited data?
Literally came here to ask this, almost. You'll obviously be able to apply the discount, but I would speculate that you wouldn't be able to get the discount on the data plan since they're apparently taking away employer discounts on data after the 7th.

Anyone have any further insight on that, and/or know if employer discounts added before the 7th will persist on data? Losing another $6/month is a shame.

DM Zero
Dec 8, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm going to be switching to Verizon from AT&T in the next day or two (coming from an iPhone 3g that is on its last legs). Does anyone have recommendations on where to get a phone from (Verizon retailer? Best Buy? Amazon?) and whether the Droid Charge or the HTC Thunderbolt generally seems better based on experiences? I'm an enthusiast and plan to root the phone and all that good stuff. Strict tech specs seem to favor the HTC Thunderbolt with the exception that the Charge has an HDMI port.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

DM Zero posted:

Does anyone have recommendations on where to get a phone from (Verizon retailer? Best Buy? Amazon?)
Amazon Wireless often has cheaper prices than Verizon. Best Buy Mobile is advantageous if there's any mail-in rebates, since they just deduct it as an instant rebate at the time of purchase, although the carriers themselves have been moving away from mail-in rebates recently anyways.

Otherwise there's not much of a difference between them.

DM Zero posted:

whether the Droid Charge or the HTC Thunderbolt generally seems better based on experiences?
Feel free to peruse the devices thread for my concerns on the Charge. But the short answer is that the ThunderBolt already has CyanogenMod builds available (although not yet stable) whereas CyanogenMod support for the Charge is going to be difficult as it is with other Samsung CDMA devices.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Feel free to peruse the devices thread for my concerns on the Charge. But the short answer is that the ThunderBolt already has CyanogenMod builds available (although not yet stable) whereas CyanogenMod support for the Charge is going to be difficult as it is with other Samsung CDMA devices.

The gingerbread sense roms for the ThunderBolt are solid. Cm7 isn't the only game in town.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The current CM7 build for Thunderbolt currently has issues with 4G (specifically, 4G "waking back up" after you leave wifi coverage -- you lose data service altogether after leaving wifi). But the wifi-3G handoff works fine if you lock it into 3G. Supposedly the maintainer of this build has fixed it, but they haven't re-rolled a new build yet.

Otherwise CM7 seems pretty awesome on the Thunderbolt. I tried it last week and liked it, but I flashed back to stock in the meantime until the 4G stuff is ironed out. I will go back the instant it's fixed.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

AppleCobbler posted:

The gingerbread sense roms for the ThunderBolt are solid. Cm7 isn't the only game in town.
Sure. I didn't make it clear, but one the biggest distinction between HTC and CDMA Samsung is CyanogenMod. But yes, there's plenty of other options for the ThunderBolt as well.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver
Also wondering about applying an employee discount to unlimited data ON July 7th. We ordered through Amazon Wireless this weekend, to get in before the tiered data, and we SHOULD be receiving the phones on Thursday, the 7th. We will be calling that same day to apply the discount. I don't see why we would lose the unlimited data, but rules can be weird and finnicky. Just want to be sure before I outright cancel my current T-mobile account

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Flyboy925 posted:

Also wondering about applying an employee discount to unlimited data ON July 7th. We ordered through Amazon Wireless this weekend, to get in before the tiered data, and we SHOULD be receiving the phones on Thursday, the 7th. We will be calling that same day to apply the discount. I don't see why we would lose the unlimited data, but rules can be weird and finnicky. Just want to be sure before I outright cancel my current T-mobile account
If your order is completed before July 7th you will get to keep unlimited data even if it ships later and you activate the phones after that date.

Lines with grandfathered unlimited follow grandfathered rules so 29.99 on the primary qualifies if your employer profile allows for discounts.

The new discount rules only apply to new tiered pricing plans but this is actually a good thing if you go for anything higher than $30.00 on secondary lines as the discount will kick in where it would not have pre-tiered pricing.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver

The Blarghonauts posted:

If your order is completed before July 7th you will get to keep unlimited data even if it ships later and you activate the phones after that date.

Lines with grandfathered unlimited follow grandfathered rules so 29.99 on the primary qualifies if your employer profile allows for discounts.

The new discount rules only apply to new tiered pricing plans but this is actually a good thing if you go for anything higher than $30.00 on secondary lines as the discount will kick in where it would not have pre-tiered pricing.

Yep, order has been approved and processed, phones shipped, and VZW did call to get the numbers set up to be ported. So I assume that everything will be golden then.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

e: nvm

kbar fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Oct 21, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

kalibar posted:

I consulted the mindless drones in Verizon's chat about whether or not we'd get to keep the employer discount on data. They say yes (which could just as easily be wrong), but hey, at least I have something in writing.

I'm going to scream bloody murder if they revoke it. That's an extra $144 per two-year contract, and I'm signing up for service under the assumption that the discount will stay in place.

The lovely part is that I'm sure they'll argue that a $6/month "change to your discount" isn't materially adverse even though it absolutely is. Hopefully they just leave it the hell alone.

Definitely agreeing with you that you should be grandfathered in, but I want to note that I have nightmares about having customers like you (extremely determined and specific) :)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Evidence is mounting that August 4th will be the launch day for Bionic (possibly with direct fill being a week early on July 28th to fulfill the promise of a "late july launch")

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Evidence is mounting that August 4th will be the launch day for Bionic (possibly with direct fill being a week early on July 28th to fulfill the promise of a "late july launch")

Has there been any word on the bootloader? I assume it's still locked, but with the Atrix situation and August being the earliest possible part of "late 2011", I stupidly cling to hope.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2011/07/05/verizon-confirms-unlimited-smartphone-data-plans-to-be-retired-on-july-7th/

New Plans

$10/75MB
$30/2GB
$50/5GB
$80/10GB

Overage $10/1GB

Hadn't heard about the $10/75MB. I forsee that one causing a lot of fun for Verizon employees.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.

serewit posted:

http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2011/07/05/verizon-confirms-unlimited-smartphone-data-plans-to-be-retired-on-july-7th/

New Plans

$10/75MB
$30/2GB
$50/5GB
$80/10GB

Overage $10/1GB

Hadn't heard about the $10/75MB. I forsee that one causing a lot of fun for Verizon employees.

$10/75MB is actually a plan that Verizon currently offers. It's for basic phones only, and will remain this way after the 7th.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

SpacedOut posted:

$10/75MB is actually a plan that Verizon currently offers. It's for basic phones only, and will remain this way after the 7th.

Whatcha wanna bet that they'll advertise it as "Data plans starting at $10!" and not mention that little detail in the marketing? Anything to drive people into the stores, I suppose.

ForkPat
Aug 5, 2003

All the food is poison
I guess I should have confirmed this before buying a cheap Pixi from Amazon to replace a feature phone:

Do I need to be in a contract in order to keep unlimited data, or can I simply have unlimited data on my month-to-month plan to keep it? There seems to be conflicting info on various web sites.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

PorkFat posted:

I guess I should have confirmed this before buying a cheap Pixi from Amazon to replace a feature phone:

Do I need to be in a contract in order to keep unlimited data, or can I simply have unlimited data on my month-to-month plan to keep it? There seems to be conflicting info on various web sites.

From what I've heard, month-to-month is fine. As long as you are holding onto that same unlimited data plan, you should be able to keep it.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Anyone have any idea when my Thunderbolt will finally get Gingerbread?

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

nickhimself posted:

Anyone have any idea when my Thunderbolt will finally get Gingerbread?

In about an hour if you grow a pair and flash one of the stable gingerbread ROMs that are available.

Simtex
Feb 15, 2008

SpacedOut posted:

Confirming what jfreder said. I just found out at work today, dumbphone unlimited plans will not be upgradable to smartphone unlimited plans, only smartphone tiered plans.

My cousin has this issue I believe. He's got a dumbphone right now, his upgrade date? July 7th, exactly (talk about bad luck).

So from what you're saying, he can't even ask them to just sell him the plan now, without him actually having a smartphone? You can't just say "let me pay you more money for features I can't use"?

Could he purchase a smartphone phone from Verizon at full price on the 6th and upgrade his plan, then return it the next day (I assume they have the 15 day no-hassle return policy) and switch to an upgrade price smartphone?

Simtex fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 6, 2011

decoy octopus
Oct 26, 2005

You fat Loco, you fat

Simtex posted:

My cousin has this issue I believe. He's got a dumbphone right now, his upgrade date? July 7th, exactly (talk about bad luck).

So from what you're saying, he can't even ask them to just sell him the plan now, without him actually having a smartphone?

Could he purchase a smartphone phone from Verizon at full price on the 6th and upgrade his plan, then return it the next day (I assume they have the 15 day no hassle-return policy) and switch to an upgrade price smartphone?

Call customer service and ask them to bump it up a day. They'll usually do it (As long as you've been a customer eg: bill paid on time etc) for a day or two.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004
I'm commandeering a friend's old Droid to replace my wife's EnV3 tomorrow so that she can get in on the unlimited data plan (which I think is a good plan, yes?), but the biggest question I have right now is how transferring upgrades works. We're on a family plan, and my line is eligible for an upgrade (not NE2 yet, though) and her line isn't eligible for an upgrade until September. Can I buy a new phone online and activate it onto her account just fine, having the upgrade come from my line and not affect her September upgrade schedule? I have read online that this is true, but when I went to do it online it wanted to change my features while I was ordering the phone, so that had me concerned that it wouldn't be that easy to do.

Chiken n' Waffles
Mar 11, 2001
I have a couples questions:

1) I have a primary and secondary line both with blackberry curves and unlimited data. I imagine that those count as smartphones and will grandfather in and we can upgrade our phones whenever we want. Correct?

2) I am eligible for a new upgrade! I have no freaking idea what to pick and it seems like I always get a phone right before a wave of new, great phones come out. Is there anything coming out it the immediate future I should be aware of? Anyone have any recommendations? I was thinking about the Charge or Thunderbolt but I see that the Droid 3 might be out soon? Halp :(

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

decoy octopus posted:

Call customer service and ask them to bump it up a day. They'll usually do it (As long as you've been a customer eg: bill paid on time etc) for a day or two.

Failing that, just buy a smartphone at full price before the date and return it after and use the upgrade. You would only be out the $35 restocking fee.

decoy octopus
Oct 26, 2005

You fat Loco, you fat

Ugg boots posted:

I'm commandeering a friend's old Droid to replace my wife's EnV3 tomorrow so that she can get in on the unlimited data plan (which I think is a good plan, yes?), but the biggest question I have right now is how transferring upgrades works. We're on a family plan, and my line is eligible for an upgrade (not NE2 yet, though) and her line isn't eligible for an upgrade until September. Can I buy a new phone online and activate it onto her account just fine, having the upgrade come from my line and not affect her September upgrade schedule? I have read online that this is true, but when I went to do it online it wanted to change my features while I was ordering the phone, so that had me concerned that it wouldn't be that easy to do.

Yeah I do it all the time it's called an alternate upgrade order the phone and when it comes just call customer service and have them swap equipment around. Just don't call from either phone you'd be swapping around

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

decoy octopus posted:

Yeah I do it all the time it's called an alternate upgrade order the phone and when it comes just call customer service and have them swap equipment around. Just don't call from either phone you'd be swapping around

Am I right in thinking that I'll be able to switch my wife's line over to a Droid (that hasn't been on an active line for months) by just going online and activating the phone by putting in the ESN?

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
It should prompt you after you plug in the ESN to add the data plan and you'll be good to go. If not, call customer service or go to a store.

Obviously you finish the activation by dialing *228. You will also probably want to unlink whatever Gmail was originally on that phone and add/create your own.

murkdotdoc
Oct 26, 2005
In-store I'm eligible for an upgrade, online I am not. My actual upgrade date is the end of August but my phone has fallen apart and I'd like to get it taken care of ASAP. If I purchase in-store (Droid Incredible 2) it's $200 with $50 MIR. If I order online through amazon it's one flat $80 charge. Is there anyway to use up my eligibility online same as in-store now instead of waiting?

decoy octopus
Oct 26, 2005

You fat Loco, you fat

Ugg boots posted:

Am I right in thinking that I'll be able to switch my wife's line over to a Droid (that hasn't been on an active line for months) by just going online and activating the phone by putting in the ESN?

or *228 option 1 -> enter your wife's phone number -> last four of social/password as long as the droid you're switching to isn't currently active

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I have a problem with my Verizon ENV3 I was wondering if anyone here could help me out with. Sometimes when a friend with a Blackberry has texted me the messages have shown up with just "No Content" in them and my phone turns off when I try to read it. The latest time this has happened my phone turned off immeadiately upon recieving the message and it continues to turn itself both off AND back on again over and over without me doing anything to it.

I've tried taking the battery out, I've deleted the no content messages during the few seconds my phone stays on, and I can't figure out how to stop this from happening and get my phone to stay on for more than a couple seconds. It's been doing this for over an hour and the chime it makes when turning itself back on will haunt my dreams forever.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

murkdotdoc posted:

In-store I'm eligible for an upgrade, online I am not. My actual upgrade date is the end of August but my phone has fallen apart and I'd like to get it taken care of ASAP. If I purchase in-store (Droid Incredible 2) it's $200 with $50 MIR. If I order online through amazon it's one flat $80 charge. Is there anyway to use up my eligibility online same as in-store now instead of waiting?
Have you tried Costco? I was eligible online but went to Costco and got the Inc2 for $50 with a free car charger and a couple other doodads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
How did you get it for $50? It's $80 at my Costco.

• Locked thread