Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Truth posted:

So I needed to find boots in the 35-40 dollar range fast since I'm starting up a league next weekend, I pop into my local sport store and tried on what they had in stock in my size, I really liked the fit of the Adidas F5's, never worn a speed boot before, how are these generally? Are they a bit poo poo compared to the higher end F series?

If you try and avoid putting spin/bend on the ball when it's a bit wet out (because it won't work) you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I had the best goalkeeping game of my life tonight against the 2nd best team in the indoor league. We still lost 11-1. That is how bad our team is, hahaha.

McDutchy
May 1, 2009
We just demolished a team in intermurals 7-1. I scored a cracker from one of our forwards' cutbacks- just stuck it straight in the net at the near post with my left. All 7 came from different people, too. The best one was a slow curver from the biggest guy on our team across most of the box that rolled into the side netting.

Right now we're on top of our division in the league at 4-0-0- and the next best team was at 2-1-0 before tonight, and that loss was to us. I think we might have clinched playoffs tonight, but I'm not sure. Either way, whole thing was really fun and we played great- possession in the midfield, etc.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Urgh. kickoff is in two hours, it's blowing half a gale and pissing down.

And I can't find my thermals.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Welp. As of today I am not only the treasurer of my local football team, I'm also the manager AND the caretaker secretary. Target for next season: positive goal difference and less than 25 disciplinary points.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Scikar posted:

Welp. As of today I am not only the treasurer of my local football team, I'm also the manager AND the caretaker secretary. Target for next season: positive goal difference and less than 25 disciplinary points.

Congratulations. Which team? :)

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

It's named after the village I live in so I'd prefer not to say. We finished 3rd from bottom in the bottom division of the district Sunday league this season though, above a team in a very similar position to our own (lots of youngsters who need proper training to get anywhere) and a team which lost every single match they played all season. I think that says it all really.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Playing last night tried to nick the ball off the keeper as he was lashing it out of the air, whacked my foot with it, came of pretty much immediately as i couldn't run. But team was playing poo poo so I tried to play on in the second half.

Wake up today to find my foot swollen as gently caress and cannot put any weight on it. Apparently my toe got dislocated and relocated and in doing so tore the ligaments around the joint...

6-8 weeks of no football :( fuuuuck

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Played my first 11 a side game pretty much in 10-15 years on Monday (I've mostly been playing 7 a side recently) and was desperate to impress my new teammates.

I played forward, and ended up scoring a 30 yard screamer into the top corner. In my own goal. Bugger.

(I was chasing down their fast winger, got ahead of him and stuck my foot in and just cleared it as hard as I could, and it happened to go in the goal)

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Sigh looks like Ill be the keeper for the summer.

Ive really never played much keeper. Anyone have any advice.

I want to start wearing knee pads... im always bruising my knees sailing and so any time I dive for a ball, it hurts like mad. But I also dont want to be a giant wuss.

Had a nice save tonight. We were down 3-1 with 2 minutes to go and had a corner so I went down to the other side of the field to try to score. Loose ball, they came up with it.... beat their striker back down the field and made the save.

So very tired.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

BlueBayou posted:

I want to start wearing knee pads... im always bruising my knees sailing and so any time I dive for a ball, it hurts like mad. But I also dont want to be a giant wuss.

Had a nice save tonight. We were down 3-1 with 2 minutes to go and had a corner so I went down to the other side of the field to try to score. Loose ball, they came up with it.... beat their striker back down the field and made the save.

So very tired.

http://www.jbgoalkeeping.com/

Read it, it's pretty great.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Six months after rupturing my Achilles tendon I'm about to start training again. I'm running pretty freely now but I'm a little anxious about turning quickly on it. Really don't want to be a cripple for the next six months :ohdear:

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

Ewar Woowar posted:

Six months after rupturing my Achilles tendon I'm about to start training again. I'm running pretty freely now but I'm a little anxious about turning quickly on it. Really don't want to be a cripple for the next six months :ohdear:

sprained my ankle in march and im still not confident about playing again. :(

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

BlueBayou posted:

So very tired.

Seconding the JB Goalkeeping site. Start with the section on positioning, it's probably the most important thing you'll read. Communicate with the defense and coordinate it, you've got the best view of the field and should use it to your team's advantage. Be loud, repetitive, and specific with your commands; not only will it make it easier on your teammates but it'll disrupt the attackers and maybe even psych them out (unless you have a voice like a cartoon character or something).

Seems we're in the same boat, I've been in goal for my company's intramural summer league and tonight we play in the final! Although it looks like I'll be back at defender, supposedly we have no subs and one guy's still recovering from a groin pull so he'll most likely be back there tonight. :ohdear:

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Thirding JB Goalkeeping, great advice, positioning especially.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Yeah its been a great read so far.

I mostly only watch really high level football so I'm always thinking that I'm playing against a really good team. I'll be moving up on the bloke who has the ball, but always worried out of my mind that he's going to get a good solid cross over to another fellow and I'll have no chance. But honestly, the level of play in my league is so low that if they manage the cross, they deserve the goal.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

BlueBayou posted:

Yeah its been a great read so far.

I mostly only watch really high level football so I'm always thinking that I'm playing against a really good team. I'll be moving up on the bloke who has the ball, but always worried out of my mind that he's going to get a good solid cross over to another fellow and I'll have no chance. But honestly, the level of play in my league is so low that if they manage the cross, they deserve the goal.

Well in one on ones all you can do is cut down the angle for the shot and to do that you get in their face as they approach goal. You can't worry about an opportunistic sideways pass to a team mate, that's your defenders' job. If you've got two players bearing down you still need to commit otherwise you just get caught in no man's land. Keepers statistically lose one on ones/one on twos because the odds are always in the favour of the striker, much like penalties. Your job is to keep goal, not other areas of the pitch, you worry about shots on goal not potential passes around you in those situations. Worry about what you can affect (shots), not what you can't affect.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

Ninpo posted:

Well in one on ones all you can do is cut down the angle for the shot and to do that you get in their face as they approach goal. You can't worry about an opportunistic sideways pass to a team mate, that's your defenders' job. If you've got two players bearing down you still need to commit otherwise you just get caught in no man's land. Keepers statistically lose one on ones/one on twos because the odds are always in the favour of the striker, much like penalties. Your job is to keep goal, not other areas of the pitch, you worry about shots on goal not potential passes around you in those situations. Worry about what you can affect (shots), not what you can't affect.

Yeah. I just need to get in the right mindset. It's hard to just focus on shots. Hopefully I can get the team out for some practice since we have a bye next week so our next game is in 2 weeks.

I'm actually getting pretty jazzed about being keeper. I'm going to go buy a long sleeved red jersey to wear when I'm in goal.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

My team took the league title. Played the team in front of us by 3 pts and 5 GD, secured a 3-0 win :)

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Mine lost, thanks to two shots slipping right through my over-moistened gloves. :(

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Lazlow posted:

Mine lost, thanks to two shots slipping right through my over-moistened gloves. :(

G..Gomes?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Bobby Digital posted:

http://www.jbgoalkeeping.com/

Read it, it's pretty great.

Perfect timing with this post as I've basically taken on the mantle of being goalie for the team I play with and I've never ever played goalie in my life. Thanks!

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Ninpo posted:

G..Gomes?

Heh. Pro tip: Get someone else to slowly pour, or better yet sprinkle, some water on your gloves rather than doing it yourself while you're running back on the field so you don't pour half the bottle on your hand. Hell, bring a little spray bottle for it, even.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Lazlow posted:

Heh. Pro tip: Get someone else to slowly pour, or better yet sprinkle, some water on your gloves rather than doing it yourself while you're running back on the field so you don't pour half the bottle on your hand. Hell, bring a little spray bottle for it, even.

Pffft what, spit on them ffs.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
rolled my ankle good tonight, gently caress this gay earth

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Ninpo posted:

seriously

if ever you could empty quote

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Ninpo posted:

I never have enough :smith:

Seriously though, if you can hock enough spit to cover most of both gloves there's something wrong with you

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Lazlow posted:

I never have enough :smith:

Seriously though, if you can hock enough spit to cover most of both gloves there's something wrong with you

You're moistening gloves to make them tacky, not putting up wallpaper.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

BlueBayou posted:

Don't wear knee pads. Not only will you look like a total moron, but ideally you shouldn't be landing on your knees much in goal anyway. I almost never have bruises on my knees after a game, it's usually my hips and my thighs that take the most damage.

Positioning is key, make sure when you're off your line that you know where the goalposts are at all times, there's nothing worse than being caught in no-man's land.

Also prepare to scream at your defenders. A lot.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Also, wind up opposing players. It's pretty much the best part.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Dell_Zincht posted:

Don't wear knee pads. Not only will you look like a total moron, but ideally you shouldn't be landing on your knees much in goal anyway. I almost never have bruises on my knees after a game, it's usually my hips and my thighs that take the most damage.

Positioning is key, make sure when you're off your line that you know where the goalposts are at all times, there's nothing worse than being caught in no-man's land.

Also prepare to scream at your defenders. A lot.

If you're playing on artificial turf you absolutely want to wear them though, that poo poo will cut your legs up if you're making dives.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Guitar_Hero posted:

If you're playing on artificial turf you absolutely want to wear them though, that poo poo will cut your legs up if you're making dives.

I play on astroturf on a weekly basis, and have never seen a single goalkeeper wearing knee-pads. This is in the UK though, maybe we're just not as soft? :shobon:

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Guitar_Hero posted:

yeah for reals

that stuff with the little rubber bits gives you some EVIL burns which take weeks to heal since they are burns, not grazes

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Alctel posted:

yeah for reals

that stuff with the little rubber bits gives you some EVIL burns which take weeks to heal since they are burns, not grazes

^^^ Yep this exactly. Dell, you probably play on a different type of turf?

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Nope, I play on the turf with the little rubber bits as well. Although it has to be said, I wear tracksuit pants and not shorts, so I am a little bit more protected.

Honestly though, I've never seen a goalkeeper wearing knee pads.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Dell_Zincht posted:

Nope, I play on the turf with the little rubber bits as well. Although it has to be said, I wear tracksuit pants and not shorts, so I am a little bit more protected.

Honestly though, I've never seen a goalkeeper wearing knee pads.

Yeah, track pants or anything like that is fine tbh, but if you're playing in 25-30 degree weather you don't want to be wearing those. Most people here don't have the long UnderArmour style stuff that can keep you cool while being long enough to protect your legs hence knee pads are pretty common for keepers.

edit: maybe we are just soft though

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Bobby Digital posted:

Also, wind up opposing players. It's pretty much the best part.

Also screaming 'ref ref he pushed me ref' at every corner or free kick

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
We play on artificial grass and since I live in Norther California, it gets cold at night in the summer. So I often wear pants... which hide the knee pads. Though I probably wont wear knee pads since my pads are my motorcycle pads and are really bulky.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Lol I've considered wearing knee pads playing up front on astroturf, the number of times I've been at full pelt and taken down and ended up sliding in my knees is too many to count.

My knees are covered in scars.

Would look like a bellend tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
what kind of kneepads do u guys use? links?