Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah on the back of the head, the one with the plastic clip and four(?) wires that is bundled up into the injector/cas/etc wiring is the one that goes to the ecu. The other sensor on the back looks like a little spark plug and has 1 wire coming out is an analogue sensor that feeds to the gauge cluster (and is beyond worthless).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Tactical Bonnet posted:

gently caress the rear calipers on a NA, by the way. Piston-retracting screws? really? gently caress you guys.

With an allen-wrench socket?

That poo poo's pretty convenient..

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's enough of a pain in the rear end to not make me want to swap out street/autox pads and HPDE pads, but it took me like 5 minutes to figure it out when I swapped out my rotors and rear pads 3 years ago.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

revmoo posted:

It is until the callipers stick and you strip the bolt. I know they can be replaced quite easily but it's still a pain when they go.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
The Mazdaspeed has sat for a week and I still have to mandhandle the new top to get it down. Normal or not?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Define manhandle. It will take a long time (on the order of months of regular use) for a new top, especially vinyl, to get fully broken in.

Not James Buchanan
Jun 23, 2006

Not James Buchanan fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 2, 2013

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
If the top is otherwise in good shape you can always just put a new window in.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Guinness posted:

Define manhandle. It will take a long time (on the order of months of regular use) for a new top, especially vinyl, to get fully broken in.

The window does not fold automatically out of the way, I have to push the whole assembly down firmly to get the top to go down. It probably takes 15-20 pounds of force to get it to go down. It is a cloth top.

It goes up just fine, and I adjusted the latches and it has zero trouble going up, but going down it gets real hung up on the window.

I'm inclined to just take the car back and I probably would have except the loving shop bought a junkyard glovebox to replace the broken one and it's all oxidized and sun damaged to poo poo. It's an insurance job so I know they were just hoping to pocket the difference.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

When I replaced the top on my NA with a glass-windowed vinyl top, it required an extra guiding hand to help the window overcome the friction of the top material when sliding into its little fold-pocket-thing for quite a while, and then I just got in the habit of doing it anyway to help alleviate stress on the stitching/glue around the window since it required almost zero extra effort (I was used to the PITA zipper window OEM top anyway, so it still was less effort than that). And I also had to push down on the top to get it to fold 100% away onto the rear deck due to the stiffness of the new top as well, but that gradually subsided over the course of several months as things stretched out and loosened up.

A new top is going to require a lot of break-in before being as easy/loose/smooth as a 10+ year old top.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 2, 2011

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

What kind of plugs are recommended for a 2003. Should I stick with OEM NGK's or has anyone else had luck running a different plug?

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

revmoo posted:

I love the rear caliper piston retractor on my NB. Compared to that stuff 'screw the piston in with a special tool' bullshit it's a dream.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Previa_fun posted:

What kind of plugs are recommended for a 2003. Should I stick with OEM NGK's or has anyone else had luck running a different plug?

I'm using NKG at the moment but I used whatever the walmart house brand ones are for a year or so with no problems. Probably order NKG if time isn't an issue but if you have to settle for buying some right away, most run of the mill brands should work.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Auto Zone and O'really's stock NGKs.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Gembolah posted:

Soft top question:

The plastic window is basically opaque and the zipper assembly is starting to fall apart on the OEM top of my 1993. I looked into a Robbins top and the local installer charges ~900 for the top and install.

1) Is this a reasonable price for a top + install? I don't really want to spend this much money on it.
2) Could I buy + install a top myself? I was looking on ebay and I saw this. I have no clue whether these tops are good or not, but the seller has good feedback.
3) Is there another solution that I'm not seeing, like repairing the top?

If you read back a few pages there is quite a bit of discussion on replacement tops. I think the general consensus is that it can be a pain to install tops, but if you're patient it's definitely doable and can save you a lot of money.

That said, $900 seems really high, even for a pro install on a Robbins top. I'm in the Seattle area and I see ads on CL all of the time advertising the same thing for $500.

If the zipper assembly wasn't at issue, you could buy a cutout/glue in window replacement from eMiata for pretty cheap. I did that on my last miata and it came out "ok". The main lesson learned was to make sure not to use too much glue and to be careful as heck with it since it is impossible to clean up.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Gembolah posted:

Soft top question:

The plastic window is basically opaque and the zipper assembly is starting to fall apart on the OEM top of my 1993. I looked into a Robbins top and the local installer charges ~900 for the top and install.

1) Is this a reasonable price for a top + install? I don't really want to spend this much money on it.
2) Could I buy + install a top myself? I was looking on ebay and I saw this. I have no clue whether these tops are good or not, but the seller has good feedback.
3) Is there another solution that I'm not seeing, like repairing the top?

I just installed my own. I'm a professional mechanic so I wasn't scared of it or anything but it was kind of a pain. If you don't have a rollbar and you remove the seats first it'd be as easy as it could be. I got the Robbins budget/streamline 1 seam vinyl top with glass for just over $300. If you have tools and at least some kind of mechanical aptitude you should be able to do it over a weekend.

Not James Buchanan
Jun 23, 2006

Not James Buchanan fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 2, 2013

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I was under the impression that the soft top could be installed onto the frame, away from the car, and then bolted in afterwards. Could be a candidate for a dining room table project?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Piano posted:

I was under the impression that the soft top could be installed onto the frame, away from the car, and then bolted in afterwards.

This is correct.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Dunno how useful this could actually be, but here's a video of Edd China changing the top on their NA:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTLedcD06lY&feature=player_detailpage#t=203s

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Test drove a miata today - I'm trying to figure out if it has the LSD or not. It was a '97 green, cloth seats, 5 spoke wheels, no power windows, no ac. From what I can tell, this means it was an "M" edition, which would have the LSD. Am I right?

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

TrueChaos posted:

Test drove a miata today - I'm trying to figure out if it has the LSD or not. It was a '97 green, cloth seats, 5 spoke wheels, no power windows, no ac. From what I can tell, this means it was an "M" edition, which would have the LSD. Am I right?

Was it dark-blue-green or just green with the gold flake?

Refer to this page. The M edition was the green with gold flake, but if it's the dark blue/green, the paint isn't really any indication.

edit: things are completely different outside of America for that chart, afaik.

Jean Eric Burn fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 4, 2011

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
M edition means it has everything. Power windows, power mirrors, power steering, AC, leather seats, etc.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Welp. It's the dark blue/green, and the seller is claiming it has the LSD, seemingly without any other options. Guess the best course of action is probably to get the vin and call mazda customer service.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Adding to the top discussion: I got mine, frame and all, from a fellow in NH who strips cars to make 'em into track day vehicles. $600. I got my hardtop for $600 too, though, so I might just be very lucky.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Ok, finally going to share my most recent change up.

Sold my 95 two weeks ago... I've been wanting a 99+ and managed to find a really good price on one locally despite the "it's sunny out" tax everyone is adding to convertibles on CL.

It's a 99 in white with 135k, most services records, an OEM hard top, torsen rear end, etc. These pictures are before detailing.

The outside needed to be clay barred and waxed desperately, and came out pretty nicely. Considering how old the paint is, I'm reasonably happy with it. The interior is still pending a detail, which it needs because it's stinkyyyy. The nasty rear end seat covers are happily gone though.

I'm probably going to sell the HT locally since I got a deal on a CF one and the OEM units seem to have inflated values thanks to the Spec guys and I can use the difference in cash on other parts.

Plans right now are to replace the original radiator with an aluminum unit since it's turning brown, then sort out the suspension (likely going to try VMAXX coils and a racing beat hollow front bar), install a roll bar (likely Boss Frog unfinished), then wheels and tires, which I picked up a set of rpf1s that need refinishing/powdercoating on CL.

Long term I might supercharge... I don't know. It looks like the cheaper Jackson Racing kit (MP45 I think?) isn't being sold and the only option is the $3k MP62 or spending even more for a cold side or something... I guess I could look at turboing, but after dealing with turbo lag on my last few cars I'm not sure that I want to.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Welp I'm joining the club. Bought a black '99 with hardtop, tan leather interior, power everything, incredible paint, absolutely pristine condition. I'm incredibly excited. 125,000km, so its probably due for a timing belt in the next 5k or so, but thats doable.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Nice! That's about the same mileage mine had when I bought it. I did the belt then too.

Do the trans/diff fluids while your at it as well.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Mat_Drinks posted:

Plans right now are to replace the original radiator with an aluminum unit since it's turning brown,
Waste of money, get an OEM replacement off ebay for $70. I think Aeon is the brand.

Mat_Drinks posted:

then sort out the suspension (likely going to try VMAXX coils and a racing beat hollow front bar),
RB tubular is a good idea, if you're going to spend VMAXX money you may as well spent a little more and buy something else.

Mat_Drinks posted:

Long term I might supercharge... I don't know. It looks like the cheaper Jackson Racing kit (MP45 I think?) isn't being sold and the only option is the $3k MP62 or spending even more for a cold side or something... I guess I could look at turboing, but after dealing with turbo lag on my last few cars I'm not sure that I want to.
The only good supercharger kit is the Rotrex, and that's coming from a guy with an M45 sitting in the basement. If I didn't get it for cheap I'd be going turbo. There is no appreciable lag with a properly sized setup.

destructo fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jul 5, 2011

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

destructo posted:

Waste of money, get an OEM replacement off ebay for $70. I think Aeon is the brand.
Thanks for the tip... I didn't realize that the OEM units could be had so cheaply versus the aluminum ones.

destructo posted:

RB tubular is a good idea, if you're going to spend VMAXX money you may as well spent a little more and buy something else.
What would your suggestions be? I had been thinking about Koni Yellows and GC coilover's but the price on that doesn't seem great for what you're getting (an "ok" setup). People seem to love the FCM setup and the Xida's too, but those are triple the price of the VMAXX, which seems to be getting good reviews for an entry level CO.

destructo posted:

The only good supercharger kit is the Rotrex, and that's coming from a guy with an M45 sitting in the basement.
Rotrex as in the Kraftwerks kit? At least, that's the only one I've heard of, and it looks like they're only willing to sell it directly. Could you explain why you feel it's better? And why is that M45 sitting when you could be enjoying it? :) :)

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
So im looking to pick up a miata as a second car for autocross and weekend duity. not really looking to spend much. Are there any red flags here (other than dumb wheels, he does not have the stock wheels). The plan is to eventually turbo it. The guy says he "has a box of turbo stuff that used to be on it before he bought it". But the FM suspension sounds pretty nice to me.

http://i56.tinypic.com/oktkyc.jpg

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

If you're interested, go now. It's probably already sold. Everyone looks out for M-editions, and with some nice suspension upgrades, this will sell really fast.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

If you're interested, go now. It's probably already sold. Everyone looks out for M-editions, and with some nice suspension upgrades, this will sell really fast.

Im first on the list to look at it. Wanted to make sure the price wasnt outlandish.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Sadi posted:

Im first on the list to look at it. Wanted to make sure the price wasnt outlandish.

I don't think it is... The stats for the price seem good, especially considering the time of the year.

Check the plastic window to make sure it's not cracked, but even those are replaceable.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Sadi posted:

The owner is probably retarded seeing as he put 15x8 0-offset wheels on the thing.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

destructo posted:

The owner is probably retarded seeing as he put 15x8 0-offset wheels on the thing.

Heh, I hadn't even noticed how far those things are sticking out in the back... Who needs wheel bearings?

Also, the style bar has got to go.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen
How much does it suck to replace the top yourself? They have good ones for around $300 on ebay. Mine is real ratty and needs to be replaced, but if I have to pay someone to do it I'll probably just get a hardtop.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

All of a sudden I am starting to dislike the stock NA seats a lot. I'm willing to get another cheap Corbeau or something but I can't legally disable the airbag I guess (to specifically have a quick release) so I don't know if I can even get into a seat with decent bolsters, without having a quick release.

Also seat companies are a bunch of dumb babbys for putting their logo on everything.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

I'm looking at it on Saturday. Just had the 60k service (timing belt, etc), 87k miles. How much do OEM wheels cost? How much of a bitch will it be to remove those stripes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

blugu64 posted:

I'm looking at it on Saturday. Just had the 60k service (timing belt, etc), 87k miles. How much do OEM wheels cost? How much of a bitch will it be to remove those stripes?
Oem wheels should be cheap. Maybe $150-250 depending on which NB wheels they are (NA wheels fit, but would look funky). Strips are probably vinyl, not bad. I'd probably remove that dumb spoiler too.