Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Levantine posted:

You mentioned Skies of Arcadia which is so close to my heart - I've owned both versions and devoured both. Where is our sequel?

Sega doesn't make sequels to anything other than Sonic games. :v:

But seriously that is an excellent question what the hell Sega?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Sega hasn't made a good decision in like a decade. Someone like tri-ace or something should just buy Skies of Arcadia from them.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Pfft. Skies of Arcadia is a game I have fond memories of and I'd jump on a sequel on day one, but a real Sega RPG fan puts Panzer Dragoon Saga II at the top of their list of demands. :colbert:

I had a dream a while ago that Sega announced a new PDS game for Nintendo 3DS, and it was sumptuous. :sigh:

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Sega hasn't made a good decision in like a decade. Someone like tri-ace or something should just buy Skies of Arcadia from them.

If Skies of Arcadia had a tri-ace battle system implemented in it i'd be totally cool with that so long as the pirate exploration remained. Actually, for a game about pirates it was rather sparse on ransacking towns, so maybe put that in too.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

CommissarMega posted:

Also, have some Fortune Summoners stuff from RPS:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/07/04/fortune-summoners-secret-of-the-elemental-stone/

Apparently it's a kind of 2D RPG; as someone who's played and enjoyed the Spirit Engine, I have to say, I'm a lot more stoked about this than I would've been.

This game looks awesome. First time I've ever heard of it and I'm pretty excited. I've never played a side scrolling RPG (only got into the genre about 4 years ago) before. There's a trailer at this link: http://www.siliconera.com/2011/07/03/carpe-fulgur-summon-fortune-summoners-as-their-next-japanese-indie-game/

Apparently theres a series thats influenced by the Mad Max movies called Metal Max, and the 2nd one is being redone in HD: http://www.siliconera.com/2011/07/05/metal-max-2-remake-reloaded-for-nintendo-ds/ Anyone heard of this series before?

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

SatansBestBuddy posted:

But seriously that is an excellent question what the hell Sega?

They made NiGHTS: Journey into Dreams. I wonder if that was their way of stopping fans from complaining for sequels.

"Yeah, go on then, keep complaining at us, you saw what we did to Nights, don't think we won't do it your game".

In summary, I hope Burning Rangers 2 is never even on the cards now.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

SatansBestBuddy posted:

What about the PSO games? You had the original PS games on Genesis/Megadrive and now we have PSO 2 announced the other month, so they're still making relevant stuff.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Polite Tim posted:

If Skies of Arcadia had a tri-ace battle system implemented in it i'd be totally cool with that so long as the pirate exploration remained. Actually, for a game about pirates it was rather sparse on ransacking towns, so maybe put that in too.

As long as they only touch the battle system. Otherwise there will be a billion minor optional things to miss and half the game will only be available after you beat the final boss. I'm too old for easter egg hunt RPGs anymore (unless it's Skies of Arcadia)

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
So. Playing Dragon Quest VI, and well. Is the last boss supposed to be wrecking my poo poo by the third form or am I under-leveled? I can easily get past the first 2 forms but when the final one hits he just levels my party in 4-5 turns. I've got everyone level 40-42.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

casual poster posted:

This game looks awesome. First time I've ever heard of it and I'm pretty excited. I've never played a side scrolling RPG (only got into the genre about 4 years ago) before. There's a trailer at this link: http://www.siliconera.com/2011/07/03/carpe-fulgur-summon-fortune-summoners-as-their-next-japanese-indie-game/

I suggest you try The Spirit Engine 2; links are somewhere on the first page. It's a short (you can complete it in ±6 hours on the outside), free 2D RPG, and very well done.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Sega hasn't made a good decision in like a decade.

They publish Platinum Games games, which is just about the smartest thing they've done this entire console generation.

I honestly don't care how many crappy Sonic games they push out the door, so long as they use that cash to fund stuff like Bayonetta and MadWorld. :3:

That reminds me, I still need to track down Infinite Space, that was an RPG for the DS that I never got around to buying, was it any good?

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

The rules aren't really that hard, just kind of weird. As a general rule you can right click anything to get a decent idea what it is for. Almost all of the skills are fairly useful, except Treat Poison which is worthless.

A general rule of thumb is to make sure one person in your party covers each social and environmental skill. So you only need one person with Seduce, for example, because the dialog options uses the person with the highest rating in that skill. The best idea is to put that skill on someone who is already going to have a high value in the associated stats.

Basically, skills and spells work on 'tests', and each are associated with 3 stats. Take a look at this page: http://en.drakensang.wikia.com/wiki/Talent_Test

So it's useful to bump up both skills and stats. Stats are more expensive so at first you won't be bumping them up much, but later in the game you should be investing a lot into them, because they help with a wide range of things.

Stats are also very important for your base attack, parry, and ranged values.

For fighters, you want to pick a weapon and stick with it. Always make sure to bump up that weapon skill as much as possible. You can choose to distribute that between Attack and Parry as well. I recommend for fighters almost exclusively bumping up Attack. You'll also want to make sure you buy up their useful talents. Knockdown, Stormblade, Strike of Wrath, and anything that inflicts wounds. Also Endurance, Armor Usage, Shield Usage, and to a lesser extent Dodge, are all useful.

Later in the game when you start having enough XP to spend on stat points, Strength is super important since it benefits Attack, Parry, and Ranged, as well as increasing your VI and damage. Agility is also really useful since it helps both attack/parry. Also, don't forget you can spend XP directly on VI, this helps a lot as it's the easiest way to increase your max life.

For ranged characters, take the associated ranged talents as they're all useful. Stat wise, Strength comes first, then Intuition, then Dex. Ranged characters are really awesome if you craft or buy fire/poison arrows.

For mages, you'll be spending most of your points bumping up your favorite spells, and the associated stats for AE (Courage, Intuition, Charisma). Make sure you carefully read the spell descriptions, as some spells don't really benefit from having higher ranks.

Some things to watch out for ...

There are some translation errors in some of the descriptions of things. Cleverness is sometimes abbreviated KL.

AE (Astral Energy), and AsP (Astral Points), are the same thing pretty much. AsP is just the 'point cost' where as AE is your character's pool of it. Just think of them as the same thing. You may see AsP incorrectly abbreviated as AP here and there.

Some spell's 'Modifier' listings are just flat out wrong. For example, Balm of Healing's modifier can increases by +1 for every 4 levels you gain. Some of these are really annoying and confusing.

Crafting skills you only need enough of to meet the minimum requirement for what you are trying to craft. There is no bonus for having more skill. There are also items that can significantly boost these skills. You probably will never need more than 10 skill points in any of these.

It's just fine to save up your XP to spend later.

Not sure what else to say, if you're confused on anything specific let me know.

Edit: I made some big-rear end posts a while ago about tests http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3378573&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=310#post391226533 http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3378573&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=312#post391244509
Cheers mate, lots of good info there. I just wasn't too sure waht to focus on or where to spend my xp, but that's cleared things up. I'll start with a mage and see how it goes from there.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Crossposting this from the Steam thread, it got swept aside with all the talk about today's sales.

iastudent posted:

Trying out the Last Remnant demo now. I know the PC version fixed some issues the 360 one had but is it still normal to get 30+ second load times?

Also had to disable some CPU cores so it didn't run at hyperspeed. Maybe it's tied to that?

Escher
Dec 22, 2005

If only...
So, the evidently super old-school Eschalon RPGs went on sale on Steam. I've been curious about them for a while now. Anyone care to offer a recommendation for or against?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
^ What you see is what you get. They're pretty classic style and filled with running into goblins and killing them. Not much else to say really. They're an okay diversion at work.

iastudent posted:

Crossposting this from the Steam thread, it got swept aside with all the talk about today's sales.

I had zero load times when I played; sorry I can't be any more help other than providing a reference point.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Escher posted:

So, the evidently super old-school Eschalon RPGs went on sale on Steam. I've been curious about them for a while now. Anyone care to offer a recommendation for or against?

If you like the Exile/Avernum style of deep character customization and exploring the nooks and crannies of a world it's not a bad choice.

It should be noted that book II makes I a bit redundant; I guess you could play it for the plot but that's not exactly these games' strong suites.

If it's one of those sales where buying both costs you less than buying one, by all means get both.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

The Black Stones posted:

So. Playing Dragon Quest VI, and well. Is the last boss supposed to be wrecking my poo poo by the third form or am I under-leveled? I can easily get past the first 2 forms but when the final one hits he just levels my party in 4-5 turns. I've got everyone level 40-42.

I managed at 40, but only thanks to me going crazy with classes and had most classes mastered on most characters, so I had a whole lot of tools available. At that level it was definitely a crap shoot, though. I would suggest grinding to at least 45, and maybe check an FAQ to see what skills you might want to pick up while you're at it. Something like Hustle Dance on everyone can really save your bacon.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

casual poster posted:

Apparently theres a series thats influenced by the Mad Max movies called Metal Max, and the 2nd one is being redone in HD: http://www.siliconera.com/2011/07/05/metal-max-2-remake-reloaded-for-nintendo-ds/ Anyone heard of this series before?

The PS2 game Metal Saga is spawned from this series. It's pretty fun, though kind of a niche game. There's a mix of character fighting and vehicle fighting, the usual vehicle customization stuff that comes from having tanks in a game, bounties, random grinding, fetch quests, dungeon crawling... it's a non-linear hodge-podge. That really appeals to me, though I'm a rare case when it comes to this stuff - I actually like SaGa games.

The Black Stones posted:

I got my rear end handed to me at L45, but my job setup was kind of meh. I did some grinding to master Hero on the Prince, which immediately switched the rest of the normal game to Easy Mode. By then I had mastered Dragon on a couple of others, and Sage on two others. Between Lightning Storm, breath attacks and Multiheal, I was able to survive long enough to kill both hands within a turn of each other; Kazapple blew away the head fairly quickly after.

One other quick note; Hustle Dance and Sage's Stone may be free healing, but they aren't as effective as Multiheal. A Sage, with their cheap spells and better healing, is worth keeping around.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

SatansBestBuddy posted:

They publish Platinum Games games, which is just about the smartest thing they've done this entire console generation.

I honestly don't care how many crappy Sonic games they push out the door, so long as they use that cash to fund stuff like Bayonetta and MadWorld. :3:

That reminds me, I still need to track down Infinite Space, that was an RPG for the DS that I never got around to buying, was it any good?

Another very smart move from Sega is the re-releasing of their games on multiple platforms. Not just handhelds (which obviously makes sense) but you can now pick up their games on Steam and everything. Awesome stuff.

Although it would be great to see the original PS RPGs available on more handheld devices. You can play them on the genesis collection for PSP but that's about all I can think of... (Anyone know another platform?)

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Lurchibles posted:

Another very smart move from Sega is the re-releasing of their games on multiple platforms. Not just handhelds (which obviously makes sense) but you can now pick up their games on Steam and everything. Awesome stuff.
This is nice, but I wish they would go the extra mile for things like Panzer Dragoon Saga. There are tons of gems out there that are practically lost to time, and there is little to no recourse for the public to communicate any substantial interest in these things, because MOST people simply will not have a viable means of trying things games.

I can appreciate it is a risk to get a lot of these games in order. A lot of software wasn't well documented, or even archived, so it may turn out that a lot of publishers/developers do not have much/any source code in tact. Just wishing it wasn't re-re-releases of games everyone has already played, even if it is nice they are being released to a platform that will (ideally) remain in tact for longer than a decade.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Levantine posted:

As long as they only touch the battle system. Otherwise there will be a billion minor optional things to miss and half the game will only be available after you beat the final boss. I'm too old for easter egg hunt RPGs anymore (unless it's Skies of Arcadia)

Resonance of Fate was pretty good about not throwing out permanently missable quests, everything's done on a chapter by chapter basis and it tells you if there is anything unfinished before you complete a chapter. (SEGA published too)

It also has no plot, but that's neither here not there

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Kiggles posted:

This is nice, but I wish they would go the extra mile for things like Panzer Dragoon Saga. There are tons of gems out there that are practically lost to time, and there is little to no recourse for the public to communicate any substantial interest in these things, because MOST people simply will not have a viable means of trying things games.

I can appreciate it is a risk to get a lot of these games in order. A lot of software wasn't well documented, or even archived, so it may turn out that a lot of publishers/developers do not have much/any source code in tact. Just wishing it wasn't re-re-releases of games everyone has already played, even if it is nice they are being released to a platform that will (ideally) remain in tact for longer than a decade.

Wasn't there some hilarious drama with the original code of a lot of Saturn and Dreamcast games being lost? I remember people talking about it, but a profusion of "Dreamcast Code" results clouds my google searches.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Polite Tim posted:

Resonance of Fate was pretty good about not throwing out permanently missable quests, everything's done on a chapter by chapter basis and it tells you if there is anything unfinished before you complete a chapter. (SEGA published too)

It also has no plot, but that's neither here not there

Oh there's a plot. It's just nigh incomprehensible and your characters are only actually part of it for the final couple chapters of the game.

Cattywampus
Oct 14, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

Wasn't there some hilarious drama with the original code of a lot of Saturn and Dreamcast games being lost? I remember people talking about it, but a profusion of "Dreamcast Code" results clouds my google searches.

I've heard that was true for Panzer Dragoon Saga but it wouldn't surprise me the least to find out they lost code for other games. I still want to know how in the gently caress do you just up and lose the code?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Lurchibles posted:

Although it would be great to see the original PS RPGs available on more handheld devices. You can play them on the genesis collection for PSP but that's about all I can think of... (Anyone know another platform?)

There's Phantasy Star Collection for the GBA which has the first three PS games.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Polygamy posted:

I've heard that was true for Panzer Dragoon Saga but it wouldn't surprise me the least to find out they lost code for other games. I still want to know how in the gently caress do you just up and lose the code?

If I recall, Sega's policy was to scrap all production materials/builds when things were done, they didn't keep an archive. A lot of programmers and people who worked on things "threw out" stuff they'd worked on and sometimes they come forward with those like the guy who helped with the mass of Sega prototype dumps a few years back now - all from his own collection of poo poo he kept from the incinerator.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Polygamy posted:

This was basically before things like remakes or re-releases really existed, so the idea that the code would somehow be useful after the initial release was practically unheard of. I guess developers just assumed the product would be rebuilt from the ground up. It was right around the turning point, thanks to the GBA and I imagine Japanese cellphone games proving there was a market in straight up porting games. Roughly everything before this point was just deleted after everyone was comfortable the game was "done".

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

iastudent posted:

quote:

Trying out the Last Remnant demo now. I know the PC version fixed some issues the 360 one had but is it still normal to get 30+ second load times?

Also had to disable some CPU cores so it didn't run at hyperspeed. Maybe it's tied to that?

The demo is a bit strange. They just throw you into the game about an hour after the start, skipping all the tutorial-stuff. You have no idea what's going on, and if you do what the characters tell you (i.e. follow the main quest) the demo ends after one area or two. So you basically have to find and do the sidequests in the city to actually test the game.

No idea about the loading times (I can't remember them, so they probably weren't that long).

e: couldn't find anything about your problem, but here are some .ini-file tweaks
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1974930

Tamba fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jul 6, 2011

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Oh there's a plot. It's just nigh incomprehensible and your characters are only actually part of it for the final couple chapters of the game.

The plot is Nathan Drake and some teens unleash a firearm smackdown on 1930s gangsters in a giant clockwork tower while a wee-a-boo cardinal with a pudding bowl haircut and a fanster t shirt follows them around, and that's still a hundred times better than FFXIII.

Also they have magical guns with 10 scopes and 14 barrels that can shoot people into the air

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent
I think the thing I liked most about Resonance of Fate actually was that the three main characters were pretty central to the plot but doing their damnedest to forget about that bullshit and enjoy their lives anyway.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

TheOriginalEd posted:

Resonance of Fate

It also had banter that felt natural, happening all the drat time. It really helped flesh them out a lot.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Thanks to those who gave me suggestions for Dragon Quest VI. Had to grind a bit. But I beat the boss and am now done with the game.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

The Black Stones posted:

Thanks to those who gave me suggestions for Dragon Quest VI. Had to grind a bit. But I beat the boss and am now done with the game.

I will say this much: you MAY have to grind a tiny bit for it, but you would definitely like the reward for offing the post-game bonus boss if the endboss was a hassle...

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
Steam is having a Gothic sale today. They have Gothic 3 and Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods Enhanced Edition. Is Forsaken Gods a stand alone expansion? It isn't very clear. What are the must have fan patches?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Yeah, did Gothic 3 / Forsaken Gods ever get fixed to the point of playability? I remember trying it when it first came out and there were...problems.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Captain Vittles posted:

The PS2 game Metal Saga is spawned from this series. It's pretty fun, though kind of a niche game. There's a mix of character fighting and vehicle fighting, the usual vehicle customization stuff that comes from having tanks in a game, bounties, random grinding, fetch quests, dungeon crawling... it's a non-linear hodge-podge. That really appeals to me, though I'm a rare case when it comes to this stuff - I actually like SaGa games.

Someone else who has actually played Metal Saga? Awesome. That's a game I really wish someone would LP, because it has so much cool stuff that's marred by some rather poor decisions (Grind, general confusion, obscurity of some things). I just want the world as a whole to experience the awesomeness that is ARTILLERY DOGS.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
I got Last Remnant for the PC a while ago, and I'm quite lost with it - wonder if any of you could give me some hints?

First of all, why are there race restricted items for sale / craft when you can only equip your main character that is always human? Basically it seems that there's a bunch of items for sale (some with ludicrous prices) that do absolutely nothing. Why?

Second, about battles. Does distance somehow come into it? Looks like mobs just warp around the combat map freely and you can't move your units (besides attacking), so the map itself seems to mean gently caress-all. I assume you can't place your healer-unions behind the other unions either, since the enemies just warp right at them?

Why do unions seem to use their skills randomly, and is there some way to affect it? I mean, if I select "Use Mystic Arts" I might have one guy cast a spell while the others just hit the mobs with their weapons. Sometimes you have four guys casting spells. Sometimes the "Heal that other union"-command has more people attacking with mystic arts than "Use mystic arts"-command! :psyduck:

Also, how do I give items to people? I know they ask for certain items when you get them as drops, but if half my party keeps begging me for iron ore and I have a bunch of it, there doesn't seem to be any way to actually give it to them? Or have I missed something?

The stats are also never explained anywhere! I mean, some characters have stats like "Love" or "Gluttony" or "Bravery" and the game doesn't bother giving you the faintest clue what they do.

Feels like the developers have tried their utmost to make the thing as confusing as possible, and succeeded. Cheers for any tips!

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Dropbear posted:

I got Last Remnant for the PC a while ago, and I'm quite lost with it - wonder if any of you could give me some hints?

First of all, why are there race restricted items for sale / craft when you can only equip your main character that is always human? Basically it seems that there's a bunch of items for sale (some with ludicrous prices) that do absolutely nothing. Why?

Second, about battles. Does distance somehow come into it? Looks like mobs just warp around the combat map freely and you can't move your units (besides attacking), so the map itself seems to mean gently caress-all. I assume you can't place your healer-unions behind the other unions either, since the enemies just warp right at them?

Why do unions seem to use their skills randomly, and is there some way to affect it? I mean, if I select "Use Mystic Arts" I might have one guy cast a spell while the others just hit the mobs with their weapons. Sometimes you have four guys casting spells. Sometimes the "Heal that other union"-command has more people attacking with mystic arts than "Use mystic arts"-command! :psyduck:

Also, how do I give items to people? I know they ask for certain items when you get them as drops, but if half my party keeps begging me for iron ore and I have a bunch of it, there doesn't seem to be any way to actually give it to them? Or have I missed something?

The stats are also never explained anywhere! I mean, some characters have stats like "Love" or "Gluttony" or "Bravery" and the game doesn't bother giving you the faintest clue what they do.

Feels like the developers have tried their utmost to make the thing as confusing as possible, and succeeded. Cheers for any tips!
You can equip all your party members by changing a setting in a config file. Change bExSettingUseAllMemberEquip=TRUE in Documents\My Games\The Last Remnant\RushGame\Config\RushEngine.ini

For (almost) everything else: http://lastremnant.wikia.com

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Is there any difference between the US and UK versions of Last Remnant PC? Amazon has the UK version for nearly $2 cheaper than the US one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

iastudent posted:

Is there any difference between the US and UK versions of Last Remnant PC? Amazon has the UK version for nearly $2 cheaper than the US one.

Maybe regional licensing issues? Drakensang is cheaper in the DE, for example.