Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
I think the best part of that intro bit is that while you're talking, If you yell at SIE to shut her hole you gain rep with Mina for prioritizing her conversation over SIE's and you gain rep with SIE for being a dom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Holy Calamity! posted:

Yeah you can, that's the only way I'd know about it! I'm playing the 360 version :v: There are times where you can cut people off. I just love how this game rewards you for almost everything.

Really? I've tried to get it and never found it. And I've seen other people note that it's impossible to get. Can you be more specific in spoilers? [I'd note that I play the PC version.]

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Going to play through the game again on recruit. How good is martial arts? Is it best to get huge health and armour and run around or go for stealth instead?

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Midnight Voyager posted:

Really? I've tried to get it and never found it. And I've seen other people note that it's impossible to get. Can you be more specific in spoilers? [I'd note that I play the PC version.]

Hmm, I'm trying to remember the exact exchange that prompted me getting it- I think it was refusing Albatross' offer for help and telling him I'd already gotten someone better after previously immediately hanging up on Westridge when he was trying to brief me in Saudi Arabia. If it wasn't that exchange I'm pretty sure it was something with Albatross, I've been generally negative towards him this entire run.

Sorry my memory's hazy, I've just been playing for the last few hours. I definitely got it though, I went back to the perk list to read the description because it caused me to laugh so hard once I got it after hanging up on Albatross.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Jesus Christ where did the last six hours go.

This game really is underrated. I find the combat enjoyable enough, though I wonder how the hell someone would ever manage to pure stealth this thing. Stealth seems more useful for setting up shots than anything.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Running around invisible stabbing people or whatever the takedown is was so much fun last time. I remember just completely clearing out rooms like that

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Zorak posted:

This game really is underrated. I find the combat enjoyable enough, though I wonder how the hell someone would ever manage to pure stealth this thing. Stealth seems more useful for setting up shots than anything.

Pure stealth would be a ton of waiting at first, but once you get the later ranks of Shadow Operative and Brilliance (resets all cooldowns) you're an unstoppable killing machine. It's definitely not the way the game's meant to be played, however- a mix of stealth and gunplay or martial arts is the way to go. Stealthily kill as many people as you can and quickly off the rest with your other abilities.

I find the combat incredibly enjoyable on every Veteran run, you're pretty much always an unstoppable killing machine and it's fun to take out entire rooms as quickly and efficiently as possible. I don't even take equipment anymore, I just get 15 EMPs so I never have to stop for anything :v:

Jose posted:

Running around invisible stabbing people or whatever the takedown is was so much fun last time. I remember just completely clearing out rooms like that

Yeah, the stealth takedowns are visceral as hell and :krad: as a result. I can't help but let out happy-go-lucky "Murder!" cry when Mike takes someone out.

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 6, 2011

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Wow hacking really sucks poo poo. I'll never be able to do this.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Evil Agita posted:

Wow hacking really sucks poo poo. I'll never be able to do this.

Can someone describe why it's so awful for those of us playing on consoles? For us it's literally "move the thumbsticks" so all the rage towards that particular minigame is pretty funny

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
For me the problem is that the boxes move so loving slowly and the one moved with the mouse can be a bit wonky to aim sometimes. It's not that bad though.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Holy Calamity! posted:

Can someone describe why it's so awful for those of us playing on consoles? For us it's literally "move the thumbsticks" so all the rage towards that particular minigame is pretty funny

Moving the right-hand code fragment is really counter-intuitive. It's controlled by the mouse but it doesn't follow the cursor. You have to keep moving the mouse in the direction you want to go, as if you were continually turning the camera. The left-hand fragment is WASD so that's fine.

Billy Bob FORTRAN
Nov 4, 2007

*THIS IS*
*HOW A*
*SOLDIER*
*~LIVES~*

:qqsay:
Every time I want to hate this game for some pedantic, mechanical reason, it reels me back in with good writing and interesting characters. I just finished Saudi Arabia and the game instantly became way better.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

I'm having some mouse issues which is making the hacking thing more annoying. I think my computer can ALMOST run the game fine, and I'm having fun other than the hacking.

shadowzero313
Feb 6, 2009

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

So yeah also grabbed this during the sale, aside from the stuff in the OP, here are some other universal tweaks that every UT3-engine game should have. First off, in APInput.ini

[Engine.PlayerInput]
bEnableMouseSmoothing=False

This will do nothing but delay your mouse responsiveness, and if it behaves like every other recent UT3 game it's been implemented in, it will suck. Mouse smoothing is the product of days when optical/laser mice were seen as completely optional, why newer games insist on it is beyond me

For APEngine.ini:

[ALAudio.ALAudioDevice]
MaxChannels=X

X is depending on your sound card. In most cases you can have 64 audio channels instead of the default 32. If your card is generic onboard sound, 32 is probably the most you can handle, but any relatively-recent Asus/Creative card will most likely be able to handle 64. 128 channels are mostly dependant on if the game has XRAM support or not (all two of them, and this isn't one)

[Engine.Engine]
AllowShadowVolumes=TRUE
bEnableVSMShadows=True
DepthBias=-2

[SystemSettings]
StaticDecals=True
DynamicDecals=True
DynamicLights=True
DynamicShadows=True
LightEnvironmentShadows=True
CompositeDynamicLights=True
DirectionalLightmaps=True
MotionBlur=(your choice on this one, I never liked it, but if you want it, set to true, if not, false)
DepthOfField=True
AmbientOcclusion=True
Bloom=True
QualityBloom=True
Distortion=True
DropParticleDistortion=True
SpeedTreeLeaves=True
SpeedTreeFronds=True
OnlyStreamInTextures=True
LensFlares=True
FogVolumes=True
FloatingPointRenderTargets=True
Trilinear=True
OneFrameThreadLag=False
UseVsync=True
UpscaleScreenPercentage=True
Fullscreen=True
AllowD3D10=False
EnableHighPolyChars=True
SkeletalMeshLODBias=-2
ParticleLODBias=-2
DetailMode=2
ShadowFilterQualityBias=-2
MaxAnisotropy=16
MaxMultisamples=(antialiasing never seems to really work on the software level, so just force it through CCC or nVidia CP, making whatever number here irrelevant)
MinShadowResolution=128
MaxShadowResolution=1024
ScreenPercentage=100.000000
SceneCaptureStreamingMultiplier=2.000000
FoliageDrawRadiusMultiplier=2.000000
ShadowTexelsPerPixel=3.000000
bEnableVSMShadows=True
bEnableBranchingPCFShadows=True
bAllowBetterModulatedShadows=True
bEnableForegroundShadowsOnWorld=True
EnableEyefinityDisplayMode=True
ShadowFilterRadius=2.500000
ShadowDepthBias=-2

Basically all the eye candy options enabled/tweaked. For a gauge on what this can run nicely on, I'm on a 5770 with 4x Edge-detect AA enabled

And if you're having problems with PhysX, or think its gay and don't want the GPU overheard, change the following to this:

bDisablePhysXHardwareSupport=True

Repost for the new thread

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Hooray, time for one of my favorite missions in the game: Identifying Jabril Al-Bara w/ the sniper rifle. I love it because I have decided to always massacre everyone in attendance rather than going through the trouble of identifying them. The game allows you to do this as long as you leave no survivors. It doesn't even piss Mina off too much, oddly enough.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I simply cannot get this game to work. It's on Steam, so it should have the proper patches and such, but it just crashes immediately upon start up. Or, more accurately, it just 100% refuses to start up at all. Any ideas?

edit: Sorry if this has been mentioned, I just don't see it anywhere. :smith:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Holy Calamity! posted:

The box for mouse is REALLY sensitive. I've got a stupid expensive nerd mouse and sometimes had trouble picking the spot I wanted. If you could just bind it to WASD and the numpad or arrow keys, it'd be perfect.

nucleicmaxid posted:

I simply cannot get this game to work. It's on Steam, so it should have the proper patches and such, but it just crashes immediately upon start up. Or, more accurately, it just 100% refuses to start up at all. Any ideas?

edit: Sorry if this has been mentioned, I just don't see it anywhere. :smith:

What exactly happens with refusing to start? Does Steam do anything? do you get to the game screen and crash out? I had trouble loading some Steam games yesterday. It might have nothing to do with AP.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Got this cause of this thread and the Steam sale yesterday, started playing right as the download finished and didn't stop until I beat it at 4am. Holy crap this game is good, sure the combat isn't perfect but it's still fun. I did my first playthrough as recruit w/ stealth/pistols/melee, and the stealth is annoying but workable if you are careful. My only complaint would be that there are very few missions that it's possible to go undetected.

I have already started a second playthrough and love all the things I have missed and the different dialogue options.

Valen
Oct 1, 2009

Holy Calamity! posted:

The left code is driven by WASD which works great especially given that it's on a grid. The right code, however, is moved with the mouse. This works decidedly less well. Imagine, if you will, drinking a handle of vodka, while sitting on your hand until it is good and numb, then try playing Minesweeper. It's laggy, moves like it's under water and they don't even disable the mouse pointer so that's flying all over the drat screen yet has very little relation to how the right code box is actually moving.

I picked this up from the Steam sale and movement in general seems kind of bad. I feel like I'm only just barely in control of Mike. Maybe I have something set wrong.

edit:

shadowzero313 posted:

I did what was in the OP but not this, maybe this will fix things.

Valen fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 6, 2011

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

shadowzero313 posted:

Thanks dude! That mouse smoothing tweak has just made this game fun.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What exactly happens with refusing to start? Does Steam do anything? do you get to the game screen and crash out? I had trouble loading some Steam games yesterday. It might have nothing to do with AP.

I get to the launcher. Then I click play, I get what looks like a loading icon over my mouse, then nothing happens. At all. If I watch the task manager, the game starts, then just ceases to run a few seconds later, with no real change to my screen. It fails to actually launch.

edit: I've done all the tricks listed, from disabling HID compliant whatevers, and running it in xp compatibility mode.

Yngwie Mangosteen fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 6, 2011

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
http://i.imgur.com/VuKMY.jpg

That dude actually hanged like that after I shot him. Ragdoll physics derp.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
Anyone know how to adjust the FOV? It's kind of making GBS threads me...

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Zorak posted:

Shadow Operative and Brilliance turns Mike into a throat punching poltergeist.

It's fantastic.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Holy Cheese posted:

http://i.imgur.com/VuKMY.jpg

That dude actually hanged like that after I shot him. Ragdoll physics derp.

I once shot a guy and he turned into a giraffe:

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.

shadowzero313 posted:

quote:

MaxMultisamples=(antialiasing never seems to really work on the software level, so just force it through CCC or nVidia CP, making whatever number here irrelevant)

What is CCC?

Also, thanks for reposting that. About to jump back in to see what the changes look like now.

Edit: Ah, thanks.

Vizrt fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 6, 2011

Valen
Oct 1, 2009

Vizrt posted:

What is CCC?

Also, thanks for reposting that. About to jump back in to see what the changes look like now.

Catalyst Control Center. ATI/AMD's driver control panel.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

Valen posted:

Catalyst Control Center. ATI/AMD's driver control panel.

I have to say after switching to an ATI card I have had a lot less trouble with drivers, everything just works. A bit like the nvidia ones used to.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Lynx posted:

I really really really hope this happens to me after punching a guy in the throat. Between this and the hilarious cartwheels enemies do after being shot I can forgive the game's shortcomings. Now if only my video card would stop overheating.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
In case anyone was wondering, I figured out what was wrong. I had NVIDIA PhysX drivers installed from an old card, but I'm using a Radeon card now. Uninstalling them allowed the game to install the right one, and now it works. :unsmith:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Lynx posted:

That reminds me of playing Mass Effect and fighting Liara's mother, Benezia. There were so many biotic effects going off during that fight my first time through that they started to glitch and merge and my character turned into taffy slowly dissolving into syrup and sinking through the staircase. It was hilarious to watch, but sadly I could not have screenshot it.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Holy Cheese posted:

I have to say after switching to an ATI card I have had a lot less trouble with drivers, everything just works. A bit like the nvidia ones used to.

Funny you should say that. Just yesterday I was having a hell of a time figuring out why model and UI textures in The Witcher (the first one) got all blurry. Turns out it was because of some CCC settings, which for some reason stopped working properly after the last time I updated my ATI drivers.

Who decided it would be a good idea to have a whole other set of graphical settings in addition to what the application has?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zorak posted:

Yeah all the boss fights means you need some solid combat skilss, regular stealth skills are really amazing though for going to town on regular bad guys.

Especially when you get Brilliance ability and can spam the cloak ability back to back. Plus it resets all the emergency stealth skills.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

404notfound posted:

Who decided it would be a good idea to have a whole other set of graphical settings in addition to what the application has?

Presumably, people who were sick of going "goddamnit, this game would look so much better with mipmapping and FSAA and anisotropic filtering, but it's a console port made by retards and there's no way to enable those in-game" and decided to make it possible to force them on in the driver.

The real problem isn't the fact that you can do this, it's the fact that the default isn't "let the program decide" and/or that a driver update might change the settings behind your back.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

nucleicmaxid posted:

In case anyone was wondering, I figured out what was wrong. I had NVIDIA PhysX drivers installed from an old card, but I'm using a Radeon card now. Uninstalling them allowed the game to install the right one, and now it works. :unsmith:

:pcgaming:

Also, :hfive: and congrats on being able to play now.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Rabbit Hill posted:

I'm on my second playthrough, playing as a recruit, and in the very beginning Greybox stage I only got one training course -- weapons training with Mina as my handler. Is that the only course available or did I miss any other(s)? I'm actually at the Saudi endgame stage now but I'll go back and start another game if I missed something (I want to experience EVERYTHING).

No offence, man, but you just made the funniest post in the thread. "It's my second playthrough, I'll surely be able to experience everything I missed out in my first! :downs: "

Again, no offence, though I think it's really sad that most modern RPGs have it set up that two playthroughs are all you need to see everything a game offers :(

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Something about the stealth knife stab animation skeeves me out, a few of those and I stuck with non-lethal the rest of the time

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Trying to redownload this from Steam and give it another go, but the drat thing's downloading at like 50kB/s. So annoying, I want to get back into the CYOA-disguised-as-a-game :(

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

RentACop posted:

Something about the stealth knife stab animation skeeves me out, a few of those and I stuck with non-lethal the rest of the time

Someone once mentioned it was the 'correct' way to actually knife someone in the throat but hell if I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

No offence, man, but you just made the funniest post in the thread. "It's my second playthrough, I'll surely be able to experience everything I missed out in my first! :downs: "

Again, no offence, though I think it's really sad that most modern RPGs have it set up that two playthroughs are all you need to see everything a game offers :(

Really it's more :shobon: than :downs:.

Ledneh posted:

Trying to redownload this from Steam and give it another go, but the drat thing's downloading at like 50kB/s. So annoying, I want to get back into the CYOA-disguised-as-a-game :(

Try switching to a less heavily loaded server - Russia's been good to me today.

• Locked thread