Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

coolskillrex remix posted:

Hmmm... isnt bama and stuff getting way more power than this? i dont seem to get it, is it because theyre custom? im pretty ignorant about this

"Approximate peak increase of 16 hp / 7 lb-ft on 93 octane fuel"

is this at the wheels?

I ask because my cousin wants to get his ecu tuned but he doesnt want to touch that poo poo with a ten foot pole because hes afraid if anything goes majorly wrong with his engine he'll be stuck with the bill as theyll try to void his warranty. He has heartthrob x-pipe, corsa extreme axle back, thats it, so maybe custom doesnt matter that much. He'll jump on this immediately probably even though the gains aint that great

Not really, the peak increases are down low in the rev range like every other tune. When Bama gives you a bullshit figure like increasing horsepower by 40 horsepower they mean at someplace in the curve their tune has 40 horsepower more, not that peak horsepower is that much higher.

Also, from what I've read the FRPP tune gives you 60 ft lbs at 1500 RPM which should at least register a little bit on the butt dyno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

quote:

3) If the paint is bad it's not in excellent shape. Even if the car was kept outdoors if it was properly cared for the paint should be fine. In my experience, a hosed outside means other things are hosed. Also, keep in mind 97 wasn't the best year for a Ford anything. They really didn't get their poo poo together until the mid 2000's.

The outside isn't even that hosed, there's just a few spots where the paint's missing, about the size of my thumb, that are all sanded out. Its just that one of them is in a pretty noticeable spot, so it's going to annoy me. Also I don't like white cars. Actually beyond those spots the paint is perfect, no scratches or anything.

quote:

4) This is the most important thing ever and probably should've been #1. DON'T loving BUY CARS FROM FRIENDS ESPECIALLY IF YOU DON'T HAVE A CLUE WHAT YOU ARE DOING. Buying old cars from other people is a bad idea if you ever wish to see this person again. There will be bad feelings if something goes wrong with the car and you'll always have in the back of your mind that they knew you were getting hosed and just didn't care. No friend will sell you a 15 year old car and tell you it's in excellent shape if they have any clue what they're talking about.

Well it's so cheap because he's moving overseas and using it to square off a debt to me. I didn't really expect to ever get paid anyway, so it's more like "bonus! free car!"

Also, excellent shape isn't his evaluation of it, but I've taken a few people out to it who actually know cars (I don't know poo poo) and thats just what I've been told. Also yeah its 15 years old, but its still under 100k miles so its not even that bad.

Drunken Lullabies fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 5, 2011

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

kronix posted:

3) If the paint is bad it's not in excellent shape. Even if the car was kept outdoors if it was properly cared for the paint should be fine.

There are things that can gently caress up the paint that don't say anything about the rest of the car. Desert heat and sun can make clearcoat flake, particularly with dark colors.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

coolskillrex remix posted:

Hmmm... isnt bama and stuff getting way more power than this? i dont seem to get it, is it because theyre custom? im pretty ignorant about this

"Approximate peak increase of 16 hp / 7 lb-ft on 93 octane fuel"

is this at the wheels?

Yeah, Bama is advertising more power. Want to know the trick that aftermarket tuning companies use that Ford doesn't when it comes to power increase numbers? Ford compares 93 octane to 93 octane. Everyone else compares 87 octane stock tunes to their 93 octane aggressive race tune. There's a solid 10hp difference in just switching a stock car from 87 to 93 due to the new ECU's ability to change timing and ignition over such a broad range.
Also, most aftermarket companies bought a brand new Mustang, put it on the dyno when bone stock, and use that number as their base number. The problem with that is cars in general pick up a bunch of power after the first thousand miles or so. When you add in the effects of engine break-in and higher octane gas, you get something like a 20hp difference on a stock car. Now add in Ford's 16hp claim to give us a 36hp difference; basically what the aftermarket folks claim.

Fun little shell game, huh? :)

ssspy007
Aug 5, 2003
I am looking to install a new x/h-pipe and a cat back exhaust on my 1989 Mustang LX 5.0. I currently have shorty headers going to an h-pipe and some sort of flowmasters. (The flowmasters were on the car when I bought it 13 years ago.) I was looking at getting the pypes cat back but I saw earlier in the thread about those being crap. I would prefer to get something that isn't going to drone as much as these flowmasters and hopefully something stainless. Does anyone have a recommendation? Thanks

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

frozenphil posted:

There's a solid 10hp difference in just switching a stock car from 87 to 93 due to the new ECU's ability to change timing and ignition over such a broad range.

So, completely stock, the new Mustangs will perform better with premium compared to regular? drat, I didn't know that! Might be I'll start filling up with premium now.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

frozenphil posted:

If you're nervous, have the dealer "install" the tune for you and keep your warranty.
http://fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=12346

I dont know how true the above is. When I bought my Stang with no miles on the odometer yet, I asked the dealer if they would install ford performance parts in my car and honor the warranty. they said they could sell me a super charger, install it, but would not warranty it.

they WOULD warranty the supercharger based on its warranty, and they would warranty my car based on its warranty. but if the s/c blew up the engine it would be on me to pay for repairs. So a Ford car, with Ford installed parts, installed by Ford Certified installers will void the warranty.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

ssspy007 posted:

I am looking to install a new x/h-pipe and a cat back exhaust on my 1989 Mustang LX 5.0. I currently have shorty headers going to an h-pipe and some sort of flowmasters. (The flowmasters were on the car when I bought it 13 years ago.) I was looking at getting the pypes cat back but I saw earlier in the thread about those being crap. I would prefer to get something that isn't going to drone as much as these flowmasters and hopefully something stainless. Does anyone have a recommendation? Thanks
Mid pipes are mid pipes, there's really no reason to spend a ton of money on them. UPR makes a decent one for under $100. Just remember to match the mid pipe style to the type of muffler you're going to run. Chambered mufflers need h-style mid pipes, while straight through muffler designs use an x-style mid pipe. There isn't any kind of fitment or power reason to do this, just sound. Putting an x-pipe on a car with chambered mufflers like those dronemasters you have will make your car sound like a truck with no mufflers; blat blat blat.

I'm partial to Magnaflow or Dynotech cat-backs. They're all going to drone some, but those two seem to drone less than others while also being well engineered and great sounding.

PT6A posted:

So, completely stock, the new Mustangs will perform better with premium compared to regular? drat, I didn't know that! Might be I'll start filling up with premium now.
Yep, give it a tank or two. You probably won't feel the difference on the street, but you'll notice a couple tenths in the quarter.

kalvick posted:

I dont know how true the above is. When I bought my Stang with no miles on the odometer yet, I asked the dealer if they would install ford performance parts in my car and honor the warranty. they said they could sell me a super charger, install it, but would not warranty it.

they WOULD warranty the supercharger based on its warranty, and they would warranty my car based on its warranty. but if the s/c blew up the engine it would be on me to pay for repairs. So a Ford car, with Ford installed parts, installed by Ford Certified installers will void the warranty.
Some dealers are lovely and refuse to work with their customers. Some understand that treating your customers well results in more money in sales than in warranty work in the long run. A guy on the forums got a new engine from his dealer after a Bama tune popped it while he was at the track. Some dealers suck, some don't; sorry yours sucks.

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 5, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

PT6A posted:

Is this true for both the V6 and the 5.0?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Is this true for both the V6 and the 5.0?

Not sure, but I doubt a tank or two of 93 would hurt anything if you'd like to try. Take the car to the track on 87 and go back after a tank or two or 93 and see what happens.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

frozenphil posted:

Not sure, but I doubt a tank or two of 93 would hurt anything if you'd like to try. Take the car to the track on 87 and go back after a tank or two or 93 and see what happens.

The new V6 is supposed to have variable cam timing as well.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

shodanjr_gr posted:

Right, but I'm not sure if they got the new badass ECU that the 5.0 got.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

frozenphil posted:

Is it all done with knock sensing? I can't think of another way for the ECU to 'detect' premium gas.

Makes me think the engine is constantly running on the ragged edge if the CPU ever hosed up.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

RockSmart posted:

Is it all done with knock sensing? I can't think of another way for the ECU to 'detect' premium gas.

Makes me think the engine is constantly running on the ragged edge if the CPU ever hosed up.

Knock sensors play a part, but the wideband O2 sensors have more to do with it I believe.

Atimo
Feb 21, 2007
Lurking since '03
Fun Shoe
The harmonic balancer in my 1996 3.8l mustang lost some bolts over the weekend, and I need to have it replaced.

http://i54.tinypic.com/34gvgr6.jpg

One bolt held on, and it tore the metal.

http://i51.tinypic.com/htfdjm.jpg

It's the thing that's supposed to go here that drives the fan belt.

Problem is, no one carries a new one, and ford doesn't make them anymore. I'm looking for a replacement, and found this online:

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/HarmonicBalancer/Ford/Mustang/1AEHB00033/296182/1996

I know nothing about engines or repairs. Can anyone tell me if this is the correct replacement part, or if not, what I should buy?

Edit -

Maybe this is the correct part?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/bbk-v6-9498-udp.html

Atimo fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 5, 2011

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Is the balancer damaged or just the pulley that attaches to it?

At any rate, ebay is where I'd look first: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-Ford-Mustand-v6-3-8-crank-pulley-harmonic-balancer-/330564845092

Atimo
Feb 21, 2007
Lurking since '03
Fun Shoe

frozenphil posted:

Is the balancer damaged or just the pulley that attaches to it?

At any rate, ebay is where I'd look first: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-Ford-Mustand-v6-3-8-crank-pulley-harmonic-balancer-/330564845092

I have no idea if the balancer itself is damanged. I thought the pully WAS the balancer. The pulley wheel itself is clearly damaged though.

At this point I think a new pulley, 4 bolts and some thread sealant should fix it. Do you think the whole thing should be pulled out and examined?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Atimo posted:

I have no idea if the balancer itself is damanged. I thought the pully WAS the balancer. The pulley wheel itself is clearly damaged though.

At this point I think a new pulley, 4 bolts and some thread sealant should fix it. Do you think the whole thing should be pulled out and examined?

It's not the best 'baby's first repair job", but it isn't too difficult. Rent the pulley puller from your local auto parts place and give it a look. I'll bet you they stock that part too. The Ford 3.8 isn't exactly an uncommon engine.

Atimo
Feb 21, 2007
Lurking since '03
Fun Shoe

frozenphil posted:

It's not the best 'baby's first repair job", but it isn't too difficult. Rent the pulley puller from your local auto parts place and give it a look. I'll bet you they stock that part too. The Ford 3.8 isn't exactly an uncommon engine.

If any of the local parts stores carried it, I'd have had it fixed the day it broke, not even the ford dealership has it.

Of course I was asking for the balancer, not the pulley, as i thought it was the same thing. I should call again....

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Atimo posted:

If any of the local parts stores carried it, I'd have had it fixed the day it broke, not even the ford dealership has it.

Of course I was asking for the balancer, not the pulley, as i thought it was the same thing. I should call again....

Your local junkyard should have a huge supply of them that they'd probably charge you less than a 10 spot for. If you don't want to pull it yourself, check eBay.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

kronix posted:

Do you have the pony package v6? I'd just be even more impressed if you did. That 3.7l is nuts.

2012 Mustang Club of America Premium, with the 18" PZero Neros and a 3.31 rear.

kimbo305 posted:

Does anyone have a size comparison pic of the 3.7 and the 5.0?
I'm just curious how different they are in size, all things told.

Here's a pic of my 3.7 engine bay. It's a smaaaaaaall engine for the size of the bay.

shodanjr_gr posted:

Yeah, it's a Ti-VCT engine just like the 5.0. Dynos I've seen have had a 6-9hp increase from going from 87->93 on the 3.7l.

frozenphil posted:

I think it was said already, but it's not just the ECU-- it's the wideband O2s and new MAF sensors they're using now that are awesome. And yes, both engines have them.

thetechnoloser fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 6, 2011

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

That's actually pretty cool. Nice car.

I think the reason I'm not chirping the wheels on shifts is because of the torque management. I've been doing research and it sounds like exactly what I'm seeing even when I turn off tc. A slight amount of softness between hard shifts. It's fine I'm not boy racing here and the mt-82 isn't rock solid. There's no reason I *need* to break traction hitting 3rd and 4th gear the car is stupidly fast to 100mph. Merging on the highway at 30-40 MPH in 2nd means I'm at a 100 before I even have a chance to look down.

I'm also really impressed with how high tech the 3.7L motor is. It's still not completely right in my mind that a v6 Mustang is a real sports car. It's supposed to have some lovely old truck V6.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kronix posted:

It's still not completely right in my mind that a v6 Mustang is a real sports car.

I want to say it soooo bad. :(

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

frozenphil posted:

I want to say it soooo bad. :(

What that the 3.7L is in a truck? I thought it was a modified version that was only in the Mustang?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

kronix posted:

What that the 3.7L is in a truck? I thought it was a modified version that was only in the Mustang?

The 4.0 in the 2005-2011 V6s was (and still is?) a truck engine.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

shodanjr_gr posted:

The 4.0 in the 2005-2011 V6s was (and still is?) a truck engine.

I feel sorry whenever I see a 2010 V6--- they have the new styling, but still have the 4.0L boat anchor.

2010- 210/240 4.0l V6

2011+- 305/280 3.7l V6.

Plus I get better gas mileage. I would feel soooo sad if I'd dropped my cash on a 2010 only to see the 3.7s a year later.

I've been really digging my 2012 so far. It pulls better than an old 98 Cobra that my parents had back when I was in high school 10+ years ago.

And I hear the 3.7 is an option on the F-150s, don't quote me on that, I'm decidedly not a truck guy.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
It is, as is the 5.0.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The 3.7L is the base F150 engine, and the 3.5L Ecoboost is an upgrade priced pretty much on par with the 5.0.

They're actually selling more V6 than V8 F150s.

The 3.7L F150 effectively makes the Ranger completely irrelevant, since the old bodystyle won't work going forward and the new 'world' model is almost as big as the F150. Ford has some drat good powerplants these days.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 6, 2011

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Compared to the 5.0, the Ecoboost 3.5 produces equal or better (I forget) horsepower and pound-feet numbers, and the Ecoboost gets better mileage. Despite this being AMURRIKA :patriot: , people are recognizing that the Ecoboost V6 is a better engine than the V8*. The Ecoboost costs a little more than the V8, too.

Too bad V6s still sound like poo poo.

* For the F150.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 6, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

CombatWombat posted:

Compared to the 5.0, the Ecoboost 3.5 produces equal or better (I forget) horsepower and pound-feet numbers, and the Ecoboost gets better mileage. Despite this being AMURRIKA :patriot: , people are recognizing that the Ecoboost V6 is a better engine than the V8*. The Ecoboost costs a little more than the V8, too.

I think the Ecoboost is a substantial markup. Further, PickupTrucks.com said the fuel economy advantage disappears when towing with the Ecoboost. They recommended it as a fuel saving measure if you would be only towing occasionally and mostly just hauling stuff in the bed.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

thetechnoloser posted:

I feel sorry whenever I see a 2010 V6--- they have the new styling, but still have the 4.0L boat anchor.

Don't you badmouth the 4.0!! It's torquey and has enough po...who am I kidding, I want a 2011 :(.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

CombatWombat posted:

Too bad V6s still sound like poo poo.

* For the F150.

The 5.7l Hemi in the Dodge Ram puts out more power than either the 3.5l turbo or the 5.0l, and gets mileage in between, only because it's still sitting in front of a 5 speed trans instead of the Ford's 6 speed. It is also substantially cheaper than either. GM's 6.2l engine is even more powerful than the Chrysler's 5.7 and gets the same fuel economy in the Silverado with the 6 speed as the 5.0l Ford, although I think you can only get it on the expensive top trim truck.

So gently caress your turbo this and turbo that. OHV V8s are where it's at. :colbert:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

If only Dodge transmissions weren't made of tissue paper and chewing gum.

Also there is no Dodge Ram anymore. Perhaps you're referring to the Ram Pickup, built by Fiat?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Fucknag posted:

If only Dodge transmissions weren't made of tissue paper and chewing gum.

Also there is no Dodge Ram anymore. Perhaps you're referring to the Ram Pickup, built by Fiat?

Tell me more about your reliability issues with the 545RFE.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

shodanjr_gr posted:

Don't you badmouth the 4.0!! It's torquey and has enough po...who am I kidding, I want a 2011 :(.

The 4.0 wasn't a terrible motor in 2005, in fact I remember quite a few reviews saying the Mustang was the fastest sub 25k car you could buy at the time.

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS

kronix posted:

The 4.0 wasn't a terrible motor in 2005, in fact I remember quite a few reviews saying the Mustang was the fastest sub 25k car you could buy at the time.

Counterpoint: the 4.0 was a terrible motor in 2005, and in every year before that all the way back to its hideous, maligned birth somewhere in Satan's armpit.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Some Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Counterpoint: the 4.0 was a terrible motor in 2005, and in every year before that all the way back to its hideous, maligned birth somewhere in Satan's armpit.

220 horsepower and good torque numbers wasn't terrible in a budget 2005 "sports car". I still say that it didn't get terrible until 2007 when the mazdaspeed3 and the turbocharged Cobalt SS came around and kicked lots of rear end for under 23k.

It's easy to say "what a piece of poo poo" now. The motor is reliable at the very least.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

The 5.7l Hemi in the Dodge Ram puts out more power than either the 3.5l turbo or the 5.0l, and gets mileage in between, only because it's still sitting in front of a 5 speed trans instead of the Ford's 6 speed. It is also substantially cheaper than either. GM's 6.2l engine is even more powerful than the Chrysler's 5.7 and gets the same fuel economy in the Silverado with the 6 speed as the 5.0l Ford, although I think you can only get it on the expensive top trim truck.

So gently caress your turbo this and turbo that. OHV V8s are where it's at. :colbert:

Tell us more about your HEMI that isn't actually a HEMI.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

Some Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I disagree. When it debuted in 1997, other engines available were:

302: 210hp
4.6 mod: 215hp
chevy 4.3: 180-200hp
3800 SII: 205hp
Chrysler 318: 230hp

Yes the engine was dated by the time 2010 rolled around but it's a stout engine with a good torque band. It also responds very well to FI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

what a long strange thread its been

Throatwarbler posted:

Chrysler still can't make a decent car to put their motors in, nor a transmission to put behind it. Moot point I say.

edit: your a drat liar too, I just looked it up and 388hp for the 5.7 "hemi" is not more than the ~412hp the new 5.0 makes. Unless your talking about the truck 5.0, which if so, who cares about trucks?

goodfuldead fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 7, 2011