Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

CommissarMega posted:

Again, no offence, though I think it's really sad that most modern RPGs have it set up that two playthroughs are all you need to see everything a game offers :(

Obviously it takes 3 playthroughs. You have to complete 3 different runs to max out your Professional, Suave, and Aggressive meters. Make sure you hit all the proper QTEs as well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ToxicFrog posted:

Try switching to a less heavily loaded server - Russia's been good to me today.

drat, that's a good idea, thanks.

(go figure that I'm getting 3.5MB/s from loving Siberia instead of 50kB/s from Los Angeles when I live in Nevada...)

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Ledneh posted:

(go figure that I'm getting 3.5MB/s from loving Siberia instead of 50kB/s from Los Angeles when I live in Nevada...)

Distance has much more of an effect on latency than on throughput.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

RentACop posted:

Something about the stealth knife stab animation skeeves me out, a few of those and I stuck with non-lethal the rest of the time

Or the non-lethal ball stomp animation

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ledneh posted:

Yeah, I've been getting ~1.5MBps from Russia (which is about the most my lovely Canadian connection can handle) vs ~100KBps from a server less than an hour's drive away from me.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

404notfound posted:

Funny you should say that. Just yesterday I was having a hell of a time figuring out why model and UI textures in The Witcher (the first one) got all blurry. Turns out it was because of some CCC settings, which for some reason stopped working properly after the last time I updated my ATI drivers.

Who decided it would be a good idea to have a whole other set of graphical settings in addition to what the application has?

If everything was unified we would be playing on the xbox.

I'd rather play on the PC thanks. :D

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sometimes you have to make a silent takedown.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

SynthOrange posted:

If only you could prod with the prod in this game.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

Next Deus Ex game still has a edge since the hookers try to unsuccessfully use kung fu on the PC.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
I'm thinking this game is probably a lot more fun on consoles.

The hacking and lock picking mini games aren't hard, its just that the controls move like molasses. Sometimes it takes like a full 5 seconds for me to move the pins in the lockpicking game into the right spot even if I am moving the mouse as fast as it will go.

The hacking game is the same. I'll see the code right away but if its on the other side of the grid there is no way I can get the mouse to the correct area before it does the code update thing and moves it.

I'm toying with mouse sensitivity now, but it doesn't help all that much and it totally fucks up combat because outside of the minigames the newly sensitive mouse moves like its on crack.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Okay, anyone playing for the first time should at least finish up the first set of field missions (Saudi Arabia)before deciding to stop playing. I just got past that area and am now starting to understand the goon praise. Both the story and the action dramatically improve after that point.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Basically if you haven't met a character named Steven Heck yet you have no basis or grounds upon which to judge this game :colbert:

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Evil Agita posted:

The hacking and lock picking mini games aren't hard, its just that the controls move like molasses. Sometimes it takes like a full 5 seconds for me to move the pins in the lockpicking game into the right spot even if I am moving the mouse as fast as it will go.

The hacking game is the same. I'll see the code right away but if its on the other side of the grid there is no way I can get the mouse to the correct area before it does the code update thing and moves it.

I'm toying with mouse sensitivity now, but it doesn't help all that much and it totally fucks up combat because outside of the minigames the newly sensitive mouse moves like its on crack.

Something weird is going on with your mouse sensativity/DPI/something because I can do the lockpick thing in less than a second, fastest three pin lock completion at 3.24 seconds.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.
Is there some place that has a complete list of the perks you can earn and how to earn them? I've played through the game a bunch, but I'm sure there are a few perks I didn't find.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Torsade de Pointes posted:

Is there some place that has a complete list of the perks you can earn and how to earn them? I've played through the game a bunch, but I'm sure there are a few perks I didn't find.

http://alphaprotocol.wikia.com/wiki/Perks

This is all of 'em but not how to get them. You can probably find that in any further Google search though.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Evil Agita posted:

Mouse sensitivity has absolutely nothing to do with how the minigames behave. Don't bother adjusting it for that.

The thing to realize is that in the minigames, it treats the mouse like an analog stick. So if the mouse is moving downwards, it moves the pin or code down at a fixed speed, no matter how fast the mouse is moving.

Eventually you will get into a habit of just moving the mouse slowly in the direction you want.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
So no one knows how to fix the FOV? :(

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Ingram posted:

So no one knows how to fix the FOV? :(

I found this, see if it helps

http://alphaprotocol.wikia.com/wiki/FOV

Valen
Oct 1, 2009

Evil Agita posted:

The best part of the lockpicking minigame is when maneuvering a pin into position, the mouse pointer gets moved over "Abort" and you click the pin in place, only to get kicked out of lockpicking. Seriously, who the gently caress thought this was a good idea? :downs:

The .INI file changes posted by shadowzero313 on the last page at least made the hacking minigame playable with a mouse. It's still not fun but at least I don't totally want to ragequit the game any more.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
I love everything else about the game but there's absolutely no way that treating the mouse as a joystick input in minigames wasn't just plain lazy. :v:

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I decided to buy this finally thanks to the steam sale and i'm glad I did. I've only completed the tutorial mission and i'm extremely satisfied with the gameplay so far, havn't even gotten to the Real Hard Choice RPG parts yet.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
For those having trouble with the hacking/lockpicking minigame, just buy EMPs. You never really need to upgrade your weapons, and doubly so if you specialize in pistols.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Will EMPs work on plain old locked stuff like wooden doors?

its annoying as hell to fail picking one of those for it to somehow set off an alarm.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Evil Agita posted:

its annoying as hell to fail picking one of those for it to somehow set off an alarm.

Yeah, they do - I assume that they are actually a bit more high tech on that basis ;)

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

Evil Agita posted:

EMP's work on everything locked. Please don't give up on the game as it's pretty good. Also buy a 360 pad for your PC.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!

Holy Cheese posted:

EMP's work on everything locked. Please don't give up on the game as it's pretty good. Also buy a 360 pad for your PC.

Does the 360 pad fix problems with the camera sperging out and jumping you into a random direction? That's seriously been a borderline dealbreaker for me.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Holy Cheese posted:

Also, I'll just jump back in to mention that the second level of sabotage makes stuff a fair bit easier, and it's pretty cheap to pick up. I grab it for every play through.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Golashes posted:

Does the 360 pad fix problems with the camera sperging out and jumping you into a random direction? That's seriously been a borderline dealbreaker for me.

Actually yeah I think so, I've never had the issues. The camera stutter seems to be caused by level assets loading in the background as you're progressing through the mission. The APEngine.ini fixes in the OP should mitigate most of that.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Golashes posted:

I've only had this problem once, and oddly, always at the same place (checkpoint in the Nasri mission, right before the first courtyard)- how frequent is it for you?

beanbrew
Jan 3, 2011

the way is not in the sky

the way is in the heart
My guess is that the camera tends to freak out like that when it loads the next area, but I'm just making poo poo up. :v:

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Hannibal Smith posted:

One more piece of advice for newcomers: Don't shut the game off the instant the credits start. There's a newsreel voiceover that plays while they roll that gives closure to a lot of the major events of the game. There were a few people in the last thread who didn't realize that even after playing a few times.

Beat the game 3 times, never knew about this. It starts about 5-10 seconds after the credits start rolling, and you can press any button to go right back to the main menu before prior to that. Once again, this loving game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

beanbrew posted:

My guess is that the camera tends to freak out like that when it loads the next area, but I'm just making poo poo up. :v:

I pretty much hear my ram going hard, pause the game until it dies down, then continue on. A lot better than me cursing at lag causing my death and starting over.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Hey, I own this, obviously, thought it took like a year for me to get my free copy from Sega, but I realllly don't want to install and play to check this one thing out. On top of being really painful to play through stuff I'd really like to have done better, I'm really bad at it.

Anywhere, where was I, right, ok, can someone check the computer in the roman ruins that you have to hack to set up the bomb (or whatever, I can't actually remember what that mission is about, despite having designed it) and take a screenshot of the image on the monitor?

I put an easteregg there but I've never heard anyone mention it, so I wonder if it's just really subtle or if it got removed at some point.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So can anyone tell me how viable a stealth/martial arts run would be? I'd quite like to do the whole game without using a gun if its not going to be too hard. Will be playing on recruit this time as well

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I somehow bugged my game so that awareness doesn't work (it just pops up the awareness icon then nothing happens, no CD or anything) - is it going to keep being bugged when I get the permanent awareness?

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Jose posted:

So can anyone tell me how viable a stealth/martial arts run would be? I'd quite like to do the whole game without using a gun if its not going to be too hard. Will be playing on recruit this time as well

Do an normal recruit run first as that will unlock veteran level for you if you haven't unlocked it yet. The extra skill points you get on veteran will make a huge difference if you are going the martial arts route as otherwise you will be struggling in the early game on recruit due to a shortage of skill points.
If you do a recruit run make sure you take every recruit dialogue choice in the tutorial so you get a skill point bonus.

Edit: I don't have any save games available but maybe someone should upload a profile that has unlocked veteran if that's possible.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Jose posted:

There's no problem running even a non-stealthy martial arts run. Thorton is a serious beast in hand to hand combat.

V Heck, you can even run it as a semi-stealth run without a lot of stealth. It's hard to activate alarms when you're being punched in the face by someone sprinting around the corner.

Exercu fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jul 6, 2011

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I can't see myself doing a veteran run anytime soon but want to experience the recruit dialogue options. Will just go martial arts and have it suck at the start

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I only just read the bit in the OP about turning off anti-aliasing to see the text of the dialogue choices. All this time ......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Scorchy posted:

Someone once mentioned it was the 'correct' way to actually knife someone in the throat but hell if I know.

Most of the animations that people have complained are unrealistic suffer because they are realistic and other video game ones aren't. The crouching animation is the best example of this.

• Locked thread