Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

magimix posted:

Hell yes. My last playthrough was Melee/AR focused. AR was just there for the very few occasions when I couldn't get all up in someones face. Beyond that, I beat the poo poo out of almost every enemy in the game, including all the bosses apart from two (who I couldn't reach).

Melee plus Tougness is a potent talent combo, giving you Fury and Iron Will, allowing you to inflict damage at a crazy rate, benefit from time dilation, while being incredibly tough. Edit: And to be sure, the viability of melee doesn't depend on the use of Fury or Iron Will - they are just two cherries on the cake, as it were.

Fury + Epinephrine spikes = even crazier damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

magimix posted:

Hell yes. My last playthrough was Melee/AR focused. AR was just there for the very few occasions when I couldn't get all up in someones face. Beyond that, I beat the poo poo out of almost every enemy in the game, including all the bosses apart from two (who I couldn't reach).

Melee plus Tougness is a potent talent combo, giving you Fury and Iron Will, allowing you to inflict damage at a crazy rate, benefit from time dilation, while being incredibly tough. Edit: And to be sure, the viability of melee doesn't depend on the use of Fury or Iron Will - they are just two cherries on the cake, as it were.

I dunno, I had maxed melee my first playthrough with pistols and stealth, and it just ended up getting em shot in the face a lot when I tried it on bosses... the only one I had any headway with was Marburg in Rome, and even then I couldn't finish him with it and had to resort to my pistol. I should do a full melee/gadgets run.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Fuzz posted:

Can you actually Melee any of the bosses to death in this game? Like, ANY of them?

You can definitely do it to Brayko, because I punched him to death when his AI glitched out and he froze during one of his coke rampages.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

404notfound posted:

Stealth runs get really easy once you pump up the stealth line a bit. At level 5 awareness becomes a passive ability so you always know where guards are and which way they're facing. Then once you have evasion and shadow operative, you can literally turn invisible, walk right up in front of somebody and do a takedown, which doesn't break your invisibility, so you can take down the guy next to him too. When you don't need to worry about somebody seeing you, use silent running to sprint up behind him and knock him out.

With near maxed stealth you can just use Shadow Operative before entering a room/area and takedown every enemy. Lasts something ridiculous like 30 seconds

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

Can you actually Melee any of the bosses to death in this game? Like, ANY of them?

There's only one that you can't and that boss is optional.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fuzz posted:

But it takes a long time since they can block and also have a knock-down insta-recover special move.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
Enjoying this game a lot so far (just finished Saudi Arabia) but holy poo poo why would they let someone be a secret agent if he can't loving shoot. At all. God I would bleed for some MGS-style ironsights. Running around CQCing people is so much faster and less frustrating than trying to shoot them

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nitevision posted:

Enjoying this game a lot so far (just finished Saudi Arabia) but holy poo poo why would they let someone be a secret agent if he can't loving shoot. At all. God I would bleed for some MGS-style ironsights. Running around CQCing people is so much faster and less frustrating than trying to shoot them

The first part is sort of miserable due to the lovely gear and also barebones skills/active abilities.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Nitevision posted:

If you're using pistols or AR, wait for the targeting reticule to shrink and turn red. Go for short bursts with the SMGs and hit bullet storm right before your clip empties. With shotguns, go hog wild!

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I feel like I'm playing the Michael Weston origin story and that's a good thing.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
You can most definitely beat up the russian miniboss championchik, he glitched in a pillar when I tiger knee'd him he'd get knocked over and do a flip and continued to repeat this when I kept tiger kneeing him. Quickest boss fight to date, about 5 seconds.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Soonmot posted:

There's only one that you can't and that boss is optional.

Darcy isn't optional.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Dr. Stab posted:

Darcy isn't optional.

He was referring to SIE but you're right, there's actually two bosses you can't melee.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Nitevision posted:

If it makes you feel any better once you max pistols you are basically an aimbot.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Soonmot posted:

If you're using pistols or AR, wait for the targeting reticule to shrink and turn red. Go for short bursts with the SMGs and hit bullet storm right before your clip empties. With shotguns, go hog wild!

Yeah, the thing about pistols is they're not accurate at all unless you've got the crit reticule going. Think of it as Mike needing to take a second to line up a shot; that yellow dot means nothing.

If the shot ain't crit, your aim is poo poo.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
It's not like the pistols in, well, any other game where you go tap-tap-tap-tap. Wait for the crit reticle to line up, one bullet one kill.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

Lynx posted:

He was referring to SIE but you're right, there's actually two bosses you can't melee.

They give you a sniper rifle to use in that non-optional boss fight. So, you're not really screwed if you're all melee in that one. Whereas during the optional boss fight, you have to use your own guns.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Roman posted:

IIRC he worked on the CQC system but that's about it.
Yes.

WhenInRome
Jun 17, 2011
So, just did my first playthrough, and this game is awesome. It's the only game where I've truly felt bad for killing someone. I maxed out Martial Arts and Toughness, so I could punch a sentry gun until it exploded. (Spy sappin' punchin' mah sentry!) One question (spoilers related to the endgame)If you chose to talk to Parker instead of downloading intel to your PDA, was he telling the truth when he said that Mina gave them the coordinates for the missile strike?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I paid 5 dollars for this game which was clearly not enough money. Loving this right now. Bearded Thorton just feels so right.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

WhenInRome posted:

So, just did my first playthrough, and this game is awesome. It's the only game where I've truly felt bad for killing someone. I maxed out Martial Arts and Toughness, so I could punch a sentry gun until it exploded. (Spy sappin' punchin' mah sentry!) One question (spoilers related to the endgame)If you chose to talk to Parker instead of downloading intel to your PDA, was he telling the truth when he said that Mina gave them the coordinates for the missile strike?
If you really don't want to go back and find out for yourself... Yes, he was.

Mina was inserted as a mole into Alpha Protocol by another organization, most likely the NSA, to bring it down from the inside. She is the one responsible for sending the missiles at you and cutting your communications with Westridge. She did this so that you would be forced to work as a rogue agent, because she believed it was only in that capacity you'd be able to take down Alpha Protocol and Halbech.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Bought this game at launch but it was buggy for me and I lacked a 360 controller but now I'm up to play through it. Should I play as Recruit or one of the 4 other choices?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

LP97S posted:

Bought this game at launch but it was buggy for me and I lacked a 360 controller but now I'm up to play through it. Should I play as Recruit or one of the 4 other choices?

Recruit just so you unlock Veteran mode. You're most likely going to play through more than once and having Veteran unlocked makes subsequent playthroughs all the more enjoyable.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I'm liking this game but I am having a frustrating time with the Brayko boss.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
So is it at all possible to not aggro the Russian Playboy dude on the Yacht mission in Moscow? I peacefully ko'd all his guards but as soon he saw me he whipped out his guns and I was forced to fight him. I KO'd him with tranquilizers hoping for an interrogation cutscene but instead a random chick showed up and killed him..

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Wandle Cax posted:

Have you met people in the other hubs? Maybe some of the contacts you might meet elsewhere could help you out. It's possible to switch between hubs if you have a save back at the safehouse and are willing to sacrifice your progress in the level, you don't have to go straight through each.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

HeyEng posted:

I paid 5 dollars for this game which was clearly not enough money. Loving this right now. Bearded Thorton just feels so right.

If it makes you feel better. I bought it twice, a retail copy on release and the other day for $5. It has some rough edges, but it's great. It's a shame they wont do another to really nail the gameplay down.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Didnt really have a desire to do another run through of this despite loving this game the first time. Doing recruit mode now after reading the thread and yea this is the Best Game.

CAPTAIN SHIT
Mar 10, 2001

guff

GetWellGamers posted:

Question: If I mine the hell out of the front of the embassy before I go in, will they still be there when I come out?

Probably not. I haven't tried this course myself, but I remember mining the hell out of the Roman Ruins before starting the final sequence, and then dying. When I reloaded the save, my mine traps were gone and all the ones I had used were gone from my inventory.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Wandle Cax posted:

This might come as a surprise to you, but there's a sprint button. Most people only discovered it out of necessity during this fight. when he is all drugged up, you don't stand a fucknut's chance of doing anything to him. Even the beefiest Thorton I've ever made got taken down in seconds in melee. Therefore, run, motherfucker, run, until he drops to his knees and you can shoot him a bit. Otherwise, you can go visit some intel contacts in, say, Taipei, and get some assistance for this boss.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Finished Taiwan and Saudi Arabia and man if Dragon Age 2 didn't convince me to ignore reviewers for the rest of my days, playing through this game after buying it for $7 did. It deserves so much more.

Anyway, Omen Deng was pretty goddamn challenging on Hard for a character that had up until that point hardly even shot a bullet during missions with maxed out stealth and like 2 levels of pistol training, but it was an hour of progress until I finally got him down.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Exercu posted:

This might come as a surprise to you, but there's a sprint button. Most people only discovered it out of necessity during this fight. when he is all drugged up, you don't stand a fucknut's chance of doing anything to him. Even the beefiest Thorton I've ever made got taken down in seconds in melee. Therefore, run, motherfucker, run, until he drops to his knees and you can shoot him a bit. Otherwise, you can go visit some intel contacts in, say, Taipei, and get some assistance for this boss.

Yeah I know about the sprint button and i'm running away, i'm just finding it difficult for some reason. If I get the Heck poisoned cocaine and I would have to do the whole level again, how much easier does it make the fight?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Is it possible to play a full pro-halbech route?

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Haha, on the final boss fight I threw a grenade into the room and it somehow glitched the boss out and made him leap through the hole in the wall. Easy kill!

Here's a pic. Spoilers!

:siren: http://i.imgur.com/5rImg.jpg :siren:

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Jose posted:

Is it possible to play a full pro-halbech route?

If you're asking if it's possible to work with them from the start of the game, no, your only option is to switch sides during the conversation with Leland at the Greybox.

Nashie 0
Mar 19, 2009
4 pages into the thread I'd already found out a tonne of stuff I missed out on my first playthrough. I think I really need to go and finish my veteran run, right this moment.

Possibly the best revelation so far would be the stuff about Marburg. (Late Game Spoilers) I killed the guy directly after he blew up a museum wing full of civilians. I had no idea you could face him off at Greybox. Hell, given the general demeanor of his character I figured getting Marburg to side with you would be absolutely impossible.

Also, (Early Spoilers) Is it possible to have anyone other than Mina Tang be your handler? I remember thinking it was just because my relationship with her was higher than the others because I was going for the achievement to screw every woman from here to Taipei. On the one hand, without her as your handler the oppurtunity for romance would be long gone but I heard about the end game bosses differing from playthrough to playthrough and it would kick all kinds of rear end to have Parker be my handler throughout my next playthrough.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Wandle Cax posted:

Yeah I know about the sprint button and i'm running away, i'm just finding it difficult for some reason. If I get the Heck poisoned cocaine and I would have to do the whole level again, how much easier does it make the fight?

I was able to beat it the first try with the spoiled info. Also it helps to Run in circles around the gate in the middle. He never caught me, or was even close really

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Nashie 0 posted:

Also, (Early Spoilers) Is it possible to have anyone other than Mina Tang be your handler? I remember thinking it was just because my relationship with her was higher than the others because I was going for the achievement to screw every woman from here to Taipei. On the one hand, without her as your handler the oppurtunity for romance would be long gone but I heard about the end game bosses differing from playthrough to playthrough and it would kick all kinds of rear end to have Parker be my handler throughout my next playthrough.

No, unfortunately. Except for a select few missions, this is fixed, although it's clear they originally wanted to implement player choice.

Nashie 0
Mar 19, 2009

John Dough posted:

No, unfortunately. Except for a select few missions, this is fixed, although it's clear they originally wanted to implement player choice.

Ah, thanks. I suppose it doesn't matter that much as there's plenty of choices elsewhere in the game. Besides, I never did get the achievement for getting laid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmccaff
Nov 8, 2010
Really enjoying the game so far. The only bug I've encountered is when I go to load the game after dieing, the screen goes black and I have to alt tab out and restart the game. I always manually load as advised in the OP. Any way to prevent this?

dmccaff fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 7, 2011

• Locked thread