Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I have a problem with my Verizon ENV3 I was wondering if anyone here could help me out with. Sometimes when a friend with a Blackberry has texted me the messages have shown up with just "No Content" in them and my phone turns off when I try to read it. The latest time this has happened my phone turned off immeadiately upon recieving the message and it continues to turn itself both off AND back on again over and over without me doing anything to it.

I've tried taking the battery out, I've deleted the no content messages during the few seconds my phone stays on, and I can't figure out how to stop this from happening and get my phone to stay on for more than a couple seconds. It's been doing this for over an hour and the chime it makes when turning itself back on will haunt my dreams forever.

The Env3 is one of the buggiest feature phones we have ever had. whats your firmware version? Its under settings, phone info...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taran
Nov 2, 2002

What? I don't get to yell "I'LL FINISH THIS" anymore?

Grimey Drawer
I hope that Verizon store employees are getting overtime pay or something for working today, because the rush of people scrambling to get last-minute smartphones was pretty impressive to see here in Boston.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Mighty Horse posted:

The Env3 is one of the buggiest feature phones we have ever had. whats your firmware version? Its under settings, phone info...

I can't get the phone to stay on long enough to really check it, but I think it says the Software Version is "VX920V02".

typ0ninja
Jan 9, 2005

So how exactly does the new phone credit thing work?
I am out of my 2 year contract now and just sitting on my unlimited data with my droid 1. Will I still be able to use this free phone credit without signing a new contact or is this not known yet?
In other words, if I don't buy a phone today will I lose the chance to get an upgrade discount?

typ0ninja fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 6, 2011

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

typ0ninja posted:

So how exactly does the new phone credit thing work?
I am out of my 2 year contract now and just sitting on my unlimited data with my droid 1. Will I still be able to use this free phone credit without signing a new contact or is this not known yet?
In other words, if I don't buy a phone today will I lose the change to get an upgrade discount?

According to the internets, you should be able to upgrade whenever and keep your unlimited data plan forever as long as you still have service, even if you get a new phone.

typ0ninja
Jan 9, 2005

Ugg boots posted:

According to the internets, you should be able to upgrade whenever and keep your unlimited data plan forever as long as you still have service, even if you get a new phone.

Cool, thank you! I think I'm gonna wait for a better crop of 4g phones to come out, and for Austin to have better coverage of said 4g. Last I checked it was only available in the airport but is planned to expand.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

So I ordered a phone from Letstalk.com and there was an authorization issue. They were closed this weekend due to the 4th and it only got fixed yesterday. I won't actually get the phone till tomorrow, and the upgrade hasn't shown up as having happened yet on my verizon.com account management page. Am I hosed? :ohdear:

My invoice through letstalk says it'll add $30 monthly unlimited, so hopefully it'll get backdated to the 3rd/5th, but I'm worried and don't have a spare smartphone lying around to put on my line just in case.

Should I be worried?

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.

Taran posted:

I hope that Verizon store employees are getting overtime pay or something for working today, because the rush of people scrambling to get last-minute smartphones was pretty impressive to see here in Boston.

Off the charts busy. I'm on my fifteen minute lunch break (usually an hour).

9PoolPony
Feb 19, 2010
So there's $10 per gig you go over with the new model...

My question is if I use 2.1 gigs in a month, am I charged $10 when I use the .1 or only once I've used the whole gig?

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
We've been busy too. I'm glad some people are smart to lock in while things are good.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

9PoolPony posted:

So there's $10 per gig you go over with the new model...

My question is if I use 2.1 gigs in a month, am I charged $10 when I use the .1 or only once I've used the whole gig?
Nope. You just bought yourself another gig. Better use it up before they run out of them.

cuddlefish
Nov 11, 2003

That was a game.

This is paintball.
Just wanted to thank the guys who linked the Pixi a couple days ago. Mine arrived today and I'm all locked in now and can wait to use my upgrade on a really nice phone. Thanks thread! :glomp:

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

Mighty Horse posted:

I would agree with that statement. When I got hired, our techs were seeing like 5 a day. I still get to activate several replacements a month. No wonder the LG Octane is not named the Env4.

Only phone we sold that approaches the Env 3 in bugginess (well besides the env touch) would be the Devour. Wow did Motorola outfit a decently built phone with broken unfixable Blur-tastic software.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

For anyone in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, PA area, it looks like they flipped the 4G switch today. I just got my first signal. It's pretty drat nice.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

Gonkish posted:

For anyone in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, PA area, it looks like they flipped the 4G switch today. I just got my first signal. It's pretty drat nice.

What phone do you have and how do you like it?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Ugg boots posted:

What phone do you have and how do you like it?

My phone is a Thunderbolt. Stock, unrooted, the battery life was pretty terrible but rooted with BAMF Remix 1.6.3 and the free version of Juice Defender it's pretty much awesome. I came from a Blackberry Storm 1, so it's like night and day. The battery life could still be better, but I don't typically do things that cause a heavy drain, like streaming video or whatever, so it's not bad enough for me to go and buy an extended battery or anything.

The 4G is pretty drat nice. It's faster than my father's cable modem, which I guess is to be expected considering Comcast is and always has been complete poo poo.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004
Argh, got an old Droid from a friend and Verizon's website is telling me this when I try to activate it:

quote:

The phone associated with the Device ID you entered has already been activated. Please contact us at 800-922-0204 if you want to switch phones with another customer.

I know he hasn't had service on it for months, since he switched from Verizon to AT&T when the iPhone 3G (I think) came out. I'm currently on hold waiting for a representative, but I figure it might be a while...

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

Ugg boots posted:

Argh, got an old Droid from a friend and Verizon's website is telling me this when I try to activate it:

I know he hasn't had service on it for months, since he switched from Verizon to AT&T when the iPhone 3G (I think) came out. I'm currently on hold waiting for a representative, but I figure it might be a while...

They pretty much told me to gently caress off and that they couldn't do anything about activating it because it's already on an active line. I know it's not true, and I also know that if it were on an active line then I'd be able to just *228 to tie it back into that account, no?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Anyone here have a Samsung Continuum Galaxy S? My wife and I are thinking about upgrading and we could get two of those phones for $50 through Verizon. We have been looking for smartphones but I have not heard too much about the Galaxy. Any information would be appreciated.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Anyone here have a Samsung Continuum Galaxy S? My wife and I are thinking about upgrading and we could get two of those phones for $50 through Verizon. We have been looking for smartphones but I have not heard too much about the Galaxy. Any information would be appreciated.

The Continuum was already outdated when it was released last year and is pretty much the poster child for Samsung's piss-poor software support. You would be better off with literally any phone in the store except the Citrus and Vortex.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Ugg boots posted:

They pretty much told me to gently caress off and that they couldn't do anything about activating it because it's already on an active line. I know it's not true, and I also know that if it were on an active line then I'd be able to just *228 to tie it back into that account, no?

It sounds like your friend is wrong. You should ask him to contact Verizon to deactivate it.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

WeaselWeaz posted:

It sounds like your friend is wrong. You should ask him to contact Verizon to deactivate it.

Do they not deactivate phones automatically when you cancel your service? He's had his iPhone on AT&T for 6+ months, I really doubt he's unknowingly paying a $100 cell-phone bill every month. I did ask him to call, though, so hopefully that goes well.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
im willing to bet he owes money on it, thats why its still tied up

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

My current contract expires on Monday, and I'm eligible for NE2. The Droid 3 is supposedly going on sale today sometime. If I call up Verizon is there any chance they'll give me a NE2 discount a few days early or am I going to have to wait until Monday to order my new phone?

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Hopefully someone will be able to settle this for me. A week ago, I bought an HTC Incredible 2 that caused me an endless string of problems and never held a charge. After a battery swap that didn't work, the rep told me to bring it in and they'd replace it because it's defective. They replaced the phone and I brought it home. It worked much better, but I've had a whole other slew of issues with it (it intermittedly turning gps on without my consent, 3g being incredibly spotty in areas that even the last phone worked well in, problems syncing with my computer, and more) and I've decided to return it and just get an iPhone so I can be done with it all and get back to phone simplicity. I'm going to pay their restocking fee and just get rid of this thing. Tomorrow will be 7 days, so I'm well within my return window.

My question is, I noticed tonight their return policy says "You are permitted to make one exchange. You may return or exchange wireless devices and accessories purchased from Verizon Wireless within 14 days of purchase. A restocking fee of $35 ($70 for netbooks and tablets) applies to any return or exchange of a wireless device." When the guy replaced my defective phone, was that considered an exchange, and therefore counted as my one exchange? I didn't pay any kind of restocking fee, and he never mentioned waiving any fees, just that he was going to exchange a bad item. Did I, by exchanging my defective phone, screw myself out of getting a new phone at the contract price?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Is there any price match period after in-store purchases?

That leaked screencap that suggested an iPhone 4 price drop also showed the Thunderbolt as being free. I bought one Thunderbolt a week and a half ago, and another one on Saturday.

The leak could be total bullshit, but if it turns out to be real, is there any way to get some money back if it happens within 14 or 30 days of when I bought the phones?

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Penguissimo posted:

The Continuum was already outdated when it was released last year and is pretty much the poster child for Samsung's piss-poor software support. You would be better off with literally any phone in the store except the Citrus and Vortex.

The vortex is Verizon's Optimus One. Which is a great budget phone.

The Continuum is a poo poo high end phone (at it's time). The Continuum is a Fascinate with a bit more hardware, yet it's $50 while the fascinate is still $100. There's a reason for that.

Spec wise the vortex is worse, real world it's probably better. I still wouldn't recommend on verizon. The amount you spend on the contract will dwarf what you spend on a phone, but the phone has a much bigger effect on your happiness, but at 70 it's probably the best cheap phone on verizon.

The fascinate itself the next price up, $100, but it's also poo poo, but slightly less poo poo than the Continuum.

Next up, at $150, the incredible 2 is excellent.

Although, if I were you, I'd buy at http://wireless.amazon.com/. The upgrade price there for the Vortex would be would be $.01, one cent. Likewise it would be $70 to upgrade to the incredible 2.

As a disclaimer if you cancel within 6 months amazon will charge you an extra fee on top of Verizon's ETF. That is the only catch though, and I suspect you're planning on paying your bills and keeping your service.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Aurium posted:

The vortex is Verizon's Optimus One. Which is a great budget phone.

The Continuum is a poo poo high end phone (at it's time). The Continuum is a Fascinate with a bit more hardware, yet it's $50 while the fascinate is still $100. There's a reason for that.

Spec wise the vortex is worse, real world it's probably better. I still wouldn't recommend on verizon. The amount you spend on the contract will dwarf what you spend on a phone, but the phone has a much bigger effect on your happiness, but at 70 it's probably the best cheap phone on verizon.

The fascinate itself the next price up, $100, but it's also poo poo, but slightly less poo poo than the Continuum.

Next up, at $150, the incredible 2 is excellent.

Although, if I were you, I'd buy at http://wireless.amazon.com/. The upgrade price there for the Vortex would be would be $.01, one cent. Likewise it would be $70 to upgrade to the incredible 2.

As a disclaimer if you cancel within 6 months amazon will charge you an extra fee on top of Verizon's ETF. That is the only catch though, and I suspect you're planning on paying your bills and keeping your service.

Seconded about the Vortex. The LG Optimus is a stupidly zippy little phone, and is a tank compared phones twice its price. The only issue is that it is outdated before it leaves the store (though isn't that the case with most of the phones we get with Verizon? Compared to the Continuum however, it is a much better user experience, even if it doesn't look or feel as fancy. My wife's is pretty impressive for what it is, and the nice thing is that it is also cheap enough that, if it breaks, you can get a replacement without having to break the bank.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

kitten smoothie posted:

That leaked screencap that suggested an iPhone 4 price drop also showed the Thunderbolt as being free. I bought one Thunderbolt a week and a half ago, and another one on Saturday.

The leak could be total bullshit, but if it turns out to be real, is there any way to get some money back if it happens within 14 or 30 days of when I bought the phones?

Uh, I'd love to know this too because I just spent $200 on my Thunderbolt.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I recently moved from an apartment that had great signal to a house that has pretty poor signal. Before I start paying for two forms of Internet again (cable + 3G), is there a recommended signal booster device that I can buy? Googling comes up with a lot of results but I have no idea where to begin with this sort of thing.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

kitten smoothie posted:

Generally yes - if nothing else, demand they return the phone then sell it back out to you at the new price and eat the restocking fee. Verizon will only price-match themselves, however, and only in the same channel (ie, you can't get a retail store to match an online price).

Space Butler posted:

Hopefully someone will be able to settle this for me. A week ago, I bought an HTC Incredible 2 that caused me an endless string of problems and never held a charge. After a battery swap that didn't work, the rep told me to bring it in and they'd replace it because it's defective. They replaced the phone and I brought it home. It worked much better, but I've had a whole other slew of issues with it (it intermittedly turning gps on without my consent, 3g being incredibly spotty in areas that even the last phone worked well in, problems syncing with my computer, and more) and I've decided to return it and just get an iPhone so I can be done with it all and get back to phone simplicity. I'm going to pay their restocking fee and just get rid of this thing. Tomorrow will be 7 days, so I'm well within my return window.

My question is, I noticed tonight their return policy says "You are permitted to make one exchange. You may return or exchange wireless devices and accessories purchased from Verizon Wireless within 14 days of purchase. A restocking fee of $35 ($70 for netbooks and tablets) applies to any return or exchange of a wireless device." When the guy replaced my defective phone, was that considered an exchange, and therefore counted as my one exchange? I didn't pay any kind of restocking fee, and he never mentioned waiving any fees, just that he was going to exchange a bad item. Did I, by exchanging my defective phone, screw myself out of getting a new phone at the contract price?

DOA returns don't count against the 1 exchange, so you should be fine.

Mighty Horse posted:

im willing to bet he owes money on it, thats why its still tied up

Yeah, this, 99% chance. Your buddy probably has an outstanding balance with Verizon.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
Regarding the new data plans and discounts, when I check the Change Features page it does apply my 12% discount to the new plans.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

yamdankee posted:

I recently moved from an apartment that had great signal to a house that has pretty poor signal. Before I start paying for two forms of Internet again (cable + 3G), is there a recommended signal booster device that I can buy? Googling comes up with a lot of results but I have no idea where to begin with this sort of thing.

You could try something like this: http://www.szelins.com/Mini_Repeater_Booster_Amplifier.html which would attach outside (where there might be better signal) and transmit that signal inside.

There's really not that much out there, though from what I've been able to find. I've been contemplating something like this just for my basement, since my signal goes to utter poo poo the instant my phone gets below ground level.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

yamdankee posted:

There is a signal booster thread in IYG and goons who have used specific boosters and recommend them.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

So my wife got her new Incredible 2, which is awesome, so now I am horribly jealous. I hope the bionic ends up being great, I'm really jonesing to upgrade my Droid.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

King Burgundy posted:

So my wife got her new Incredible 2, which is awesome, so now I am horribly jealous. I hope the bionic ends up being great, I'm really jonesing to upgrade my Droid.

I think it will be.

Really, just watch out for Droid 3 reviews right now. The Bionic is going to be using the same (or virtually same) SoC and it will be the same version of new blur. So far from what I've seen the initial impressions of the Droid 3 with new blur are really good. It's supposed to be very fast and minimally invasive.

So, if the Droid 3 ends up being good, the Bionic should as well since it's nearly the same phone, just minus the keyboard and plus the LTE radio.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.

bull3964 posted:

So, if the Droid 3 ends up being good, the Bionic should as well since it's nearly the same phone, just minus the keyboard and plus the LTE radio.

And double the memory, no? Is the screen resolution the same as the D3?

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

The latest CyanogenMod 7.1 RC1 for my OG Droid has made a world of difference, its back to feeling like a very quick and responsive phone, after 7.0 had seemed to slow it down quite a bit.

I still can't get over the 2GB for $30/month insanity. That would be a more appropriate (but still fairly conservative) daily limit. I'm going to make this OG Droid last me until I switch to Sprint when my contract is up, which would be pretty soon but unfortunately got extended out another year due to adding a second line/phone for my wife last year.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I think it will be.

Really, just watch out for Droid 3 reviews right now. The Bionic is going to be using the same (or virtually same) SoC and it will be the same version of new blur. So far from what I've seen the initial impressions of the Droid 3 with new blur are really good. It's supposed to be very fast and minimally invasive.

That is awesome!

I'm pretty sure we are all in agreement that custom UIs are loving stupid, but at least Sammy and Moto seem to be making their UIs a little lighter as time goes on. Instead of, you know, bogging the phone down with a ton of poo poo no one wants.

Edit: I'm watching some of the Moto videos online and I'm liking some of the stuff I'm seeing in MotoBlur. There is some nice eye candy, the only problem is it will probably go away when you switch launchers...

which you will because the launcher only has four icons, one of them being the app drawer icon, and you can only change three of them.

Even though I'm not interested in purchasing the D3 I'm pretty excited to handle it and play with it. Loves me some physical keyboards.

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

bull3964 posted:

I think it will be.

The blur on the D3 is very fast, minimally invasive and very slick looking. Also the keyboard is really really nice.

• Locked thread