Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Has there been any talk of getting some DLC for this game?

I just played through the fight with Sis last night and this time took the dialogue option of speaking to Albatross about her locket, which irritated him and made her happy, and opened up some dossier info on the two of them implying that there had been more content about how they had met that had been cut from the game. I would love to see more of that.

Hell, I'd love to play a prequel as a young Albatross before G22. He owns.

Edit: What's the policy on spoilers in the games forum? I'm used to dealing with TVIV rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
All this talk about turning off AA is confusing me since I'm pretty sure the proper dialogue text appears regardless for me.

Can someone explain what it looks like with AA disabled v AA enabled?

I always get choices like:
"Suave, Aggressive, Sympathetic, Silent", etc.

Does turning off AA result in more text than that or something? I'm confused.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Yes, that's all you get. Some people are missing it (and in at least one case in the last thread didn't know there was supposed to be text, meaning that they executed people accidentally all the time).

DancingKittycat
Jun 1, 2007

Bis 34 war i Sozialist, wor aa ka Beruf
My game is constantly crashing in Rome (Ruins mission, while protecting the comm array) . Didn't see anything about it in the OP.

Google turned up a crack as a possible solution. Beside not wanting any viruses, this is not an option for me since I bought the game on Steam. Am I screwed?

Using an earlier save (Safehouse autosave) didn't help.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Rabbit Hill posted:

I just played through the fight with Sis last night and this time took the dialogue option of speaking to Albatross about her locket, which irritated him and made her happy, and opened up some dossier info on the two of them implying that there had been more content about how they had met that had been cut from the game. I would love to see more of that.

Actually, I believe in this particular case, its the other way around. This bit was added in late, to flesh out the characters a little more, but is why its also a little flimsier.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Rabbit Hill posted:

Has there been any talk of getting some DLC for this game?

Hell, I'd love to play a prequel as a young Albatross before G22. He owns.

Edit: What's the policy on spoilers in the games forum? I'm used to dealing with TVIV rules.

Generally we attempt using as many spoilers as possible in this particular thread, because the game is rife with stuff that you won't see on each playthrough.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I finally finished downloading this game off Steam and started playing a bit of it. The hacking game sure was confusing as gently caress the first few times I attempted it. It would be easier if the drat thing didn't move so slowly.

So far I'm really liking the dialogue and conversations. Rookie Thornton is kinda funny, Suave Thornton seems fun but it's like you piss everyone off.

Parselmouth
Feb 4, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
This loving game.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Rabbit Hill posted:

Per the rules thread, the forum policy is to use spoiler tags only for actual spoilers (ie, no joke spoilers). There's no requirement to spoil everything, though.

For this thread in specific, though - as it says in the OP - spoiler tag loving everything, ideally accompanied with some non-spoilered text indicating what the spoiler relates to, because this game branches so much that even people who've played it through ten times are still finding new things.

This is doubly important right now, since there's an influx of new players from the Steam sale.

Eddain posted:

I finally finished downloading this game off Steam and started playing a bit of it. The hacking game sure was confusing as gently caress the first few times I attempted it. It would be easier if the drat thing didn't move so slowly.

It moves at a fixed speed no matter how fast your mouse is moving, basically treating the mouse like an analog stick.

quote:

So far I'm really liking the dialogue and conversations. Rookie Thornton is kinda funny, Suave Thornton seems fun but it's like you piss everyone off.

That's because you do piss everyone off. In my last playthrough, as Suave Thorton, I actually ended up with Mina and Steven Heck really liking me, but pretty much everyone else couldn't stand the sight of me.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 7, 2011

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Is it even possible for Heck not to like you? I've never annoyed him I don't think no matter what option I chose.

WhenInRome
Jun 17, 2011

Wandle Cax posted:

Yeah I know about the sprint button and i'm running away, i'm just finding it difficult for some reason. If I get the Heck poisoned cocaine and I would have to do the whole level again, how much easier does it make the fight?

Without the coke, Brayko's nearly impossible. With the coke, he dies after snorting it 3 times. TURN UP THE RADIO!

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Jose posted:

Is it even possible for Heck not to like you? I've never annoyed him I don't think no matter what option I chose.

Heck doesn't like boring people who just talk business and not the fun explody kind of business.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Finally got to the first actual tough decision for me (havn't done Moscow yet, though): Saving Madison vs the bombs. I chose to let her die for the greater good etc but I actually had to think about it for a little bit. I like that there's no "save everything" option like, say, in BioWare games! (unless I missed it)

Decisions before this were really easy:
-Let Shaheed live, because everything i'd heard about Halbech before that point made me think they were assholes so I had every reason to believe he was telling the truth
-Save President Sung and let the riots occur, because the president dying will probably lead to more instability than some riots
-Let Omen Deng live (I was planning to just hear him out and then kill him anyway if the option came up, but good thing I let him live because at the point i'm at, he still seems to have been entirely innocent).

I hope the others from this point have just as many downsides, like actual main characters (that you may like) dying. Kill my only friend for the entire game in Mina and i'll like this game even more, basically.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Jose posted:

Yeah, if you're serious. Or if you call him Steve, I suppose.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Jose posted:

Yeah, you need to have another ally for the end game though, otherwise Steve defaults to his "gently caress YEAH :black101:" persona to fill that spot.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Jose posted:

Heck can only hate you if you have another character who likes you, so that you always have someone on your side for the final mission. If you do Taipei first or piss off everyone in the other hubs, Heck will always like you. If you do another hub and get on good terms with another character (beyond a point where you can turn back and piss them off), Heck can dislike you if you annoy him.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

THE PWNER posted:

Finally got to the first actual tough decision for me (havn't done Moscow yet, though): Saving Madison vs the bombs. I chose to let her die for the greater good etc but I actually had to think about it for a little bit. I like that there's no "save everything" option like, say, in BioWare games! (unless I missed it)

Decisions before this were really easy:
-Let Shaheed live, because everything i'd heard about Halbech before that point made me think they were assholes so I had every reason to believe he was telling the truth
-Save President Sung and let the riots occur, because the president dying will probably lead to more instability than some riots
-Let Omen Deng live (I was planning to just hear him out and then kill him anyway if the option came up, but good thing I let him live because at the point i'm at, he still seems to have been entirely innocent).

I hope the others from this point have just as many downsides, like actual main characters (that you may like) dying. Kill my only friend for the entire game in Mina and i'll like this game even more, basically.

I am baffled that you consider those choices easy and this Rome one hard.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
First play through as recruit is going great so far. How this game has such shoddy reviews is absolutely criminal. Just beat Moscow and heading to Taipei. Moscow was super intense and the boss battles all left me on my toes. Going as a pistol, stealth, and martial arts dude to touch in on my inner James Bond. Is there really any preferred order to play the locales story wise? Mostly just wondering for my next play through as I know I am immediately jumping into veteran mode after this one.

Aerial Tollhouse
Feb 17, 2011
Just finished my first playthrough as a professional Thorton. Man, that game has some good writing. Moments of it felt like Fallout 2, where if you want to be good, you have to really think about what the right choice is. My thoughts on the endgame:
After seeing the end credits, maybe letting Shaheed live wasn't a good idea. The twist about Scarlet really blindsided me. I also didn't know that saving her meant Steve would stop being my handler.
Turned Parker, didn't see why people were puzzled by how to do it. Mina died, I wasn't clear on which door was which, so I might replay that part. It bugs me that Westridge just disappears.
Where did Marburg go in the end, is there a way you can actually kill him?

Definitely gonna do a second playthrough with this info. Can't decide if I want to do a corrected version of this, or an aggressive one.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Aerial Tollhouse posted:

Definitely gonna do a second playthrough with this info. Can't decide if I want to do a corrected version of this, or an aggressive one.

Aggressive. Save the world once, THEN SMASH IT. :black101:

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Aerial Tollhouse posted:

Just finished my first playthrough as a professional Thorton. Man, that game has some good writing. Moments of it felt like Fallout 2, where if you want to be good, you have to really think about what the right choice is. My thoughts on the endgame:
After seeing the end credits, maybe letting Shaheed live wasn't a good idea. The twist about Scarlet really blindsided me. I also didn't know that saving her meant Steve would stop being my handler.
Turned Parker, didn't see why people were puzzled by how to do it. Mina died, I wasn't clear on which door was which, so I might replay that part. It bugs me that Westridge just disappears.
Where did Marburg go in the end, is there a way you can actually kill him?

Mina - yeah, a lot of people miss her door and get frustrated. And depending on how your relationship was with her, there may be things about her you have yet to learn.

Marburg - usually you at least see him in the Greybox. Depending on your relationship with him and how much you know about him and Parker, a lot of different things can happen with those two.

Westridge can actually appear in the endgame. It depends on how respectful you were of America and American agents and soldiers during your time rogue. Kill the CIA agents in Rome or Marines in Moscow, or cooperate too much with Shaheed and his buddies, Westridge may not be thrilled about that. He doesn't always, though, it also depends some on the final conversation with Leland.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

gohuskies posted:

Mina - yeah, a lot of people miss her door and get frustrated. And depending on how your relationship was with her, there may be things about her you have yet to learn.

Marburg - usually you at least see him in the Greybox. Depending on your relationship with him and how much you know about him and Parker, a lot of different things can happen with those two.

Westridge can actually appear in the endgame. It depends on how respectful you were of America and American agents and soldiers during your time rogue. Kill the CIA agents in Rome or Marines in Moscow, or cooperate too much with Shaheed and his buddies, Westridge may not be thrilled about that. He doesn't always, though, it also depends some on the final conversation with Leland.

With that third spoiler, it depends all on that final conversation with Leland, or if you let Shaheed live and agree to take down the United States during your final meeting with him. Doing that opens up Westridge as the boss fight, with Leland's conclusion coming right after.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Is it intended to be set up in a way that you can see the full text of the conversations? Or is it meant to be "Agressive, Joking, Curious" etc. Its a bit annoying sometimes but then other times its extremely hilarious as conversations spin out of control. Got out of Saudi and into Taiwan and the game just keeps getting better and better.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
A goon gifted this to me, this game is great. I'm still in Iraq so judging from comments on how people disliked the first level, I'm really going to like it. Am I right in assuming the first four "classes" are the same, given that you can remove skills during character creation? Or do certain skills cost more for different types of classes? I'm planning a mostly stealth/pistols/hand-to-hand style play through, and I went with freelancer. If I made a mistake I should start over while it's still early.

(very early)Impressions

The first couple missions, I was terrible. Every attempt at stealth, I failed almost immediately, so ended up shooting through everything. I ran out of bullets with my pistol which I handled as an infant would.

The third mission I had learned from my mistakes. I bought a silencer. I quickly learned how much I love the kill move, and for one of the areas I finally disabled all the guards without triggering an alarm.

That feels awesome by the way. Tense as you're skirting through some warehouse, hiding everywhere, silently taking out guards. Moving as fast as you can before your enemy-detection wears off (I need one more point for passive). Stand up to look around and there's no one left but you and a bunch of glowing briefcases/ammo-clips and you breathe a sigh of relief.

I read the OP before receiving the game and with all the patches and issues I expected it to be rough around the edges. I did not install any patches/fixes and what I've been playing feels very polished, with good control on an Xbox 360 controller. The lock-picking/hacking mini-games are fairly quick and not difficult (much less-so than games like Bioshock). Really glad I got a chance to play this.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
This game is hilariously easy to break with one build: Stealth, Pistols and.. Tech? Whatever the one that gives brilliance is and the med kit bonuses. You can double chain shot people and turn invisible twice(which is broken as gently caress, you can walk around 1-shotting people right in their face and no one else cares.) Pistols near the end of the game are hilarious, they turn into sniper rifles and you can 1-shot most enemies in the head pretty quick. What stat makes the dot zoom in faster? I thought it was stability, or is it accuracy?

Also, what the hell was the point of Sis? I was liked with her and got the item she gives and then I basically never saw her again after the 2nd meeting with Albatross.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Is it intended to be set up in a way that you can see the full text of the conversations? Or is it meant to be "Agressive, Joking, Curious" etc. Its a bit annoying sometimes but then other times its extremely hilarious as conversations spin out of control. Got out of Saudi and into Taiwan and the game just keeps getting better and better.

The bug in the OP refers to not being able to see any text at all. The tone of the response is all you're supposed to see, not the entire content of the response.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Jelly posted:

Am I right in assuming the first four "classes" are the same, given that you can remove skills during character creation? Or do certain skills cost more for different types of classes? I'm planning a mostly stealth/pistols/hand-to-hand style play through, and I went with freelancer. If I made a mistake I should start over while it's still early.
You're fine. The only difference between the standard four classes is a tiny bit of flavor dialogue during the tutorial. Since you can remove skills the starting allocations are really just suggestions.

Both the recruit and veteran classes do you give you some additional options from time to time, but those are mostly during the tutorial as well.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

e: ^^^ Actually your class (or rather, your tagged skills) change little things here and there in cutscenes and conversations later in the game, too.

Nashie 0 posted:

(Late Game Spoilers) Hell, given the general demeanor of his character I figured getting Marburg to side with you would be absolutely impossible.

SmugThorton spotted.

Seriously, he reacts much more positively depending on Mike's general demeanor and specific behavior in a few things. He's just this old school kinda guy. Who kills innocent people to make a point.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 7, 2011

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'm looking forward to my veteran run through. Going to be aggressive, a dick to everyone and not use stealth this time. Going to pump all of my points into Tech aptitude, toughness but not sure what weapon. Thinking about doing martial arts again but this time just running around kicking everyone in the face rather than stealthing most of it

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Jose posted:

I'm looking forward to my veteran run through. Going to be aggressive, a dick to everyone and not use stealth this time. Going to pump all of my points into Tech aptitude, toughness but not sure what weapon. Thinking about doing martial arts again but this time just running around kicking everyone in the face rather than stealthing most of it

Shotgun.

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

Jose posted:

Shotguns are awesome for the knockdown/stomp combo or OH GOD FIRE BULLETS, or SMG if you want to run around like a maniac and not worry about setting up criticals. For a secondary I recommend carrying an assault rifle around because even totally untrained you can use one to pick off a distant enemy if he's too annoying to close with.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Other skills aside, on a Vet run you should always stick a rank or two in Chain Shot no matter what other weapon you're using, just to have that panic button on hand.

That said, Uzis and Shotguns are tons of fun on Veteran (Assault Rifles, not so much). Uzis are bullet-hell street sweepers after being leveled up some, and shotguns look cool, have some nice feedback, and make you change up your approach a little thanks to the charge-shot-stomp method of dispatching enemies. They also murder the helicopter encounter in the final level. And they've got a neat idle animation, for what that amounts to.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
Am I right in getting the impression that Stealth gameplay past the first sections of the game is more about using invisibility skills than sneaking around? I haven't gone past Stealth level 5, and trying to use my ingrained Solid Snake tactical espionage maneuvers just leads to people spotting me from fifty feet away and then I have to create a ton more orphans. I got through Arabia fine just being careful and clever about guard patterns and timing, but now I'm in Russia at Brayko's mansion and it seems like there's just way too many guards to do it the old fashioned way

edit: been wearing plainclothes too

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Nitevision posted:

I got through Arabia fine just being careful and clever about guard patterns and timing, but now I'm in Russia at Brayko's mansion and it seems like there's just way too many guards to do it the old fashioned way

If it helps, they're probably not very good parents, what with being organised crime thugs. If anything, you'd be doing their orphans a favour by getting them the life insurance early.

Also is it even possible to get through the ambush without killing anyone? (Not counting using tranqs or CQC)

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 7, 2011

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Nitevision posted:

Am I right in getting the impression that Stealth gameplay past the first sections of the game is more about using invisibility skills than sneaking around? I haven't gone past Stealth level 5, and trying to use my ingrained Solid Snake tactical espionage maneuvers just leads to people spotting me from fifty feet away and then I have to create a ton more orphans. I got through Arabia fine just being careful and clever about guard patterns and timing, but now I'm in Russia at Brayko's mansion and it seems like there's just way too many guards to do it the old fashioned way

There are a LOT of guards at Brayko's so I'm not surprised you are having trouble stealthing there. You really need to lean on the invisibility if you want to do much stealth. The evasion skill that automatically makes you invisible if you are sighted can really save your butt also. Once you get the stealth skill higher, the invisibility will last long enough that you can activate it, take out a couple of guards before it wears off, and finish off everyone else with a chain shot as it ends. Trying to play it like Splinter Cell or MGS just leads to you getting seen, as you've experienced.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nitevision posted:

The game's stealth is sort of a joke, yeah. Enemies all have superhuman senses and as you get further into the game you're often dropped into ambush scenarios where enemies know you exist and start shooting you from the word go.

Stealth is more of a way to quickly drop enemies with a minimum of fuss via the invisibility powers. There's no chance of ghosting the game or anything like that.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I kind of wish the Halbech data could be used in cutscenes, like during your chats with Leland say "Oh, by the way, how're your pirates doing?"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

In order to get the Lady's Man perk do I have to choose Sie has my handler for the final mission?

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.
Just finished with Saudi Arabia. Digging it so far. One problem though. After I did the graphic tweaks the menus are having graphical glitches and pop up like this half the time.

I can still navigate and read them fine, so far. Before I try trouble shooting it, curious if anyone knows off-hand what might be causing this or if it came up in the previous thread at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Jose posted:

In general Heck likes Suave responses and dislikes Businesslike. Aggressive is a bit of a crapshoot, one response during his meeting (I think it's the "lard on guns" question) results in Mike going "Are you clinically incapable of getting to the point?" (Heck -1) while after the Chingmei Station mission Aggressive yields a line like "Did they think they could keep anything from spies like us?" (Heck +1)

Edit: Also the best way to piss him off is to do all the other available Taipei missions before you contact him.

Jose posted:

In order to get the Lady's Man perk do I have to choose Sie has my handler for the final mission?

Yes, and she needs to be of a specific mindset about you, probably based both on her feelings for you and your JB type. I managed it once, but flubbed the Scarlet romance on that play and haven't managed to get SIE to want Thorton's ubermensch rod again.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 7, 2011

• Locked thread