Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

KnightLight posted:

Shotguns are awesome for the knockdown/stomp combo or OH GOD FIRE BULLETS, or SMG if you want to run around like a maniac and not worry about setting up criticals. For a secondary I recommend carrying an assault rifle around because even totally untrained you can use one to pick off a distant enemy if he's too annoying to close with.

Even though it's nice starting out, assault rifles end up being sort of weak since they have the least useful special ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Assault rifles are a great secondary since they're great without points in them (and they have range). And, they're a bad primary because points in them do nothing.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Vizrt posted:

Just finished with Saudi Arabia. Digging it so far. One problem though. After I did the graphic tweaks the menus are having graphical glitches and pop up like this half the time.

I can still navigate and read them fine, so far. Before I try trouble shooting it, curious if anyone knows off-hand what might be causing this or if it came up in the previous thread at all.

Came up for me, and I posted about it in the previous thread here.

The solution I found was to go back into APEngine.ini and turn motion blur on, by setting MotionBlur=true in the [SystemSettings] section.

If, like me, you don't actually like motion blur, scroll down a bit and set GlobalMotionBlurAmount=0.0 as well.

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.

ToxicFrog posted:

The solution I found was to go back into APEngine.ini and turn motion blur on, by setting MotionBlur=true in the [SystemSettings] section.

If, like me, you don't actually like motion blur, scroll down a bit and set GlobalMotionBlurAmount=0.0 as well.

That was it. Thanks for the quick reply.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

ToxicFrog posted:

Is there a good reference for INI file tweaks?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

If you mean "what tweaks should I use as a matter of policy", there's a bunch of AP-specific ones listed in the OP, and someone posted another set of general UE3 tweaks later in the thread (not sure where).

If you mean "what do all the settings do", no idea, but since it uses UE3 there's probably a general UE3 settings document on the net somewhere.

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

etalian posted:

Even though it's nice starting out, assault rifles end up being sort of weak since they have the least useful special ability.

That's why I recommended them as an untrained secondary.

If you are only going to skill up one gun, which is generally a good idea, you still have to carry around another gun for which you have no training. At least the AR is still useful.

On my first playthrough, I specialized in ARs, and had a shotgun with phosphorus rounds for my backup. It did crap damage, but you don't need skill to set people on FIRE.

Plan B: Kill It With Fire? To hell with that, fire is always plan A.

The Viper
Oct 4, 2009
I picked this game up for a tenner after reading the last thread. I was expecting to do my usual thing of 'oh well its broken but i love it'. Nope, I just straight up loving love it. I have no idea why it was reviewed so poorly, great writing, great voice work, nice enough graphics and really deep RPG stuff for a shooter/stealth game. Dove straight into pistols and stealth, figured I'd play a Sam Fisher type. It's working nicely so far, just finished Saudi Arabia.

The best thing is, with the RPG layer and the conversations/choices, I keep thinking 'man, I cant wait to do a second playthrough as an amoral dickhead.' I haven't been this excited since Deus Ex allowed me to stack up boxes to solve every problem.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

This loving game. This loving Steven Heck in the subway. Operation Turbo Panther being Heck just driving by on a loving subway car with a mounted gun on it :black101:.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
This is bizarre and reminds me of why I hate PC gaming. I ordered a new monitor and it arrived today, and after setting it up Alpha Protocol crashes on launch. It worked fine before. I'm getting the bug where after clicking "Play" on the launcher, the screen goes black and then crashes to the desktop. (Win 7) It's just really strange because it worked fine before I changed my monitor. Didn't change anything else.

Category Fun! posted:

The bug in the OP refers to not being able to see any text at all. The tone of the response is all you're supposed to see, not the entire content of the response.

You may want to rephrase it then, because the way it's worded makes it sound like you should be seeing the entire text of the response ("but apparently some people played the entire game thinking you were just supposed to choose the general mood of your dialogue!" makes it sound like just seeing 'Suave' 'professional' and so on is not right). Unless I'm still misunderstanding, all you do is pick the mood of the dialogue.

Also your link at the end of the post is incomplete. Looks like you may have copied a shortened version with the ellipsis in the middle.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Novasol posted:

This loving game. This loving Steven Heck in the subway. Operation Turbo Panther being Heck just driving by on a loving subway car with a mounted gun on it :black101:.

God, the best. I didn't do it the first time, as I was full stealth/nonlethal and thought I'd end up with him alerting everyone and such.

That actually works fine with stealth/nonlethal! It doesn't count against you!

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
After about 10 tries I'm getting a bit annoyed with Surkov. The checkpoint system has me stuck up on the 2nd floor and I think it would be a lot easier if I was able to exit through the front door so he doesn't die by shotguns or grenades before I can get near him.

I wish I could just let him die and carry on with the game but its a mission failed screen if he dies :(

edit: haa! saved him the first try after my complaint post. Good, good.

Evil Agita fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 8, 2011

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.
Another this loving game moment during the Moscow Embassy mission I head slammed Grigori when I met him earlier cause I'm playing rear end in a top hat Thorton. I knew ahead of time this would make them post marines at the embassy. I thought it was supposed to make it tougher to bluff your way past them too. However, I showed up decked out in combat armor during this run and carrying an assault rifle. Instead of having to bluff them, the guards mistook me for the extra security they had requested and let me inside easily.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Torsade de Pointes posted:

Another this loving game moment during the Moscow Embassy mission I head slammed Grigori when I met him earlier cause I'm playing rear end in a top hat Thorton. I knew ahead of time this would make them post marines at the embassy. I thought it was supposed to make it tougher to bluff your way past them too. However, I showed up decked out in combat armor during this run and carrying an assault rifle. Instead of having to bluff them, the guards mistook me for the extra security they had requested and let me inside easily.

Ahahhaha. I've talked my way past that but I didn't know you could do that too.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Whaaaat hahaha no way. That's so subtle. And so Alpha Protocol.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Obsidian :allears:

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

"6 out of 10" - 'gaming journalism' community

seriously this loving game is the best. I want another so bad!

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
This is from a few pages back but I know some people are having the game crash after the launch menu. I had the same issues and they're driver related. Clean out your old drivers, reinstall PhysX. Go to the AP install directory, go into Support/DirectX/ and load DXSETUP.exe. Reboot after that's done and see if it works.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.
Moscow Embassy stuffI would like to believe that the marines requested assistance from the Russians and mistook Thorton for one. In addition to the armor, I had Thorton wearing a Ushanka and sporting a full lumberjack beard. Though I doubt that had anything to do with the success of the ruse :v:

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
*Jumping on the bandwagon*

This loving game.. I never knew until my latest playthrough that you could use Scarlet as your handler after meeting with her.

I got bored with how slowly xp progresses too and felt like maxing crap out for my new playthrough.

It's pretty easy to increase xp and decrease amount needed to get to the next level. Just change settings around in APLevelChart.ini (make a backup since it is possible to break things with absurd values).

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Holy Calamity! posted:

"6 out of 10" - 'gaming journalism' community

seriously this loving game is the best. I want another so bad!

Between the terrible reviews for Alpha Protocol and the glowing reviews for Dragon Age 2, the only source I think I can trust for game news is SA, and to a lesser extent, 4chan's /v/ board.

That's right, goddamn 4chan is more reliable than gaming journalism.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Finished my first (and probably only) playthrough, my only real complaint is that the storyline felt really short. Only took me 14 hours to complete, and I did everything. I was honestly surprised that after I finished the 3 post-Saudi hubs, it went straight to a new safehouse i'd never seen chatting with Mina about a final assault on Alpha Protocol. Felt like something was missing in between there.

Too bad there's no chance of a sequel, the game deserves (and in my opinion NEEDS) one. But the APC entrance in the Brayko mission was loving AMAZING and made up for all the flaws, Especially Mina and Leland reactions to it

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

THE PWNER posted:

Only took me 14 hours to complete, and I did everything.

:cawg:

You're gonna want to try out some different things in a second playthrough.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

THE PWNER posted:

Finished my first (and probably only) playthrough, my only real complaint is that the storyline felt really short. Only took me 14 hours to complete, and I did everything. I was honestly surprised that after I finished the 3 post-Saudi hubs, it went straight to a new safehouse i'd never seen chatting with Mina about a final assault on Alpha Protocol. Felt like something was missing in between there.

Man.

Man, oh, man.

You have NO IDEA how much you've missed.

Try a second playthrough, but with a wholly different style. Went Stealth/Pistols with a Suave Thorton in your first run? Go for a second run as Tough Shotgun Professional- trust me, it'll be worth your while.

If I may go on a tangent, it's really sad how modern 'RPG's have conditioned players to expect nothing more than a One True Path™ through a game, and that all other playthroughs will be just like it, so when a game like Alpha Protocol comes along, people play once and assume that's all the game has to offer.

Seriously, read the following spoiler list to find out what you may have missed, PWNER:
-Did you kill Marburg?
-Spare the gelato shop owner?
-Find Scarlet/Mina when you returned to the Graybox?
-Discover who Madison's dad was?

And that's just a few things- who knows what I've missed?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

CommissarMega posted:

Seriously, read the following spoiler list to find out what you may have missed, PWNER:
-Did you kill Marburg?

I'll add!

-Did you get raped?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Fewd posted:

I'll add!

-Did you get raped?

Oh God let's please not have this fight again

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

CommissarMega posted:

Man.

Man, oh, man.

You have NO IDEA how much you've missed.

Try a second playthrough, but with a wholly different style. Went Stealth/Pistols with a Suave Thorton in your first run? Go for a second run as Tough Shotgun Professional- trust me, it'll be worth your while.

If I may go on a tangent, it's really sad how modern 'RPG's have conditioned players to expect nothing more than a One True Path™ through a game, and that all other playthroughs will be just like it, so when a game like Alpha Protocol comes along, people play once and assume that's all the game has to offer.

-Did you kill Marburg?

By did everything, I meant did all the optional missions (that were available on the path I took). Obviously, there's plenty of things you won't see in 1 playthrough - but i'm not one to replay singleplayer games many times unfortunately. I definitely stand by what I said at the end of the passage you quoted, suddenly being in the last safehouse was pretty abrupt.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

THE PWNER posted:

By did everything, I meant did all the optional missions (that were available on the path I took). Obviously, there's plenty of things you won't see in 1 playthrough - but i'm not one to replay singleplayer games many times unfortunately. I definitely stand by what I said at the end of the passage you quoted, suddenly being in the last safehouse was pretty abrupt.

Well then I don't know what to say- the real meat of AP lies in multiple playthroughs and seeing what you missed and making connections that you just didn't the first time around; if you're the type to only play once and leave, then I have to admit, you just wasted your money on AP.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

CommissarMega posted:

Well then I don't know what to say- the real meat of AP lies in multiple playthroughs and seeing what you missed and making connections that you just didn't the first time around; if you're the type to only play once and leave, then I have to admit, you just wasted your money on AP.

I think $7 for ~15 hours of fun was a pretty good deal. Definitely didn't say the game sucked or anything, I loved it.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
He had fun, who cares if he only plays it once? I'm the same type and had fun with AP when it first came out playing through once - though I enjoyed it more when I came back to it a year later, maybe he will too!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Whoops, I got the impression you didn't like the game :shobon:

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Jose posted:

In order to get the Lady's Man perk do I have to choose Sie has my handler for the final mission?

You'll also need to pick her if you're going for the virgin perk.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
Can I hack my save and drop it to easy? gently caress medium.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Nitevision posted:

I got through Arabia fine just being careful and clever about guard patterns and timing, but now I'm in Russia at Brayko's mansion and it seems like there's just way too many guards to do it the old fashioned way

Naw, it's possible to do - just harder. There's even unique dialogue from the boss if you do it stealthily; he has no idea what the gently caress's going on because you've just come out of nowhere.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

poptart_fairy posted:

Naw, it's possible to do - just harder. There's even unique dialogue from the boss if you do it stealthily; he has no idea what the gently caress's going on because you've just come out of nowhere.

There are three special words coming to mind right now.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Hank Morgan posted:

There are three special words coming to mind right now.

This loving game?

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I gotta say I've never laughed quite as much at most video games as I have with this one. Stephen Heck, Mike's comments when looking at his souvenirs, pretty much everything involving Brayko ("how many gay cheetahs had to die to make this jacket?"), and just how much of a snarky rear end in a top hat Mike is in general.

This game does have its glitches and quirks but it's so well written it's one of my favorites and I can't believe I got it for five bucks.

Edit: is there any way to turn Parker to your side in the end and NOT have him die? I like Parker and seeing him stabbed in the neck kind of sucks

HOTLANTA MAN fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jul 8, 2011

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

My favorite "this loving game" moment was when I found out you could get (Moscow spoilers) Brayko to kill Surkov. It leads into one of the best lines, too. "I give him six-four on the dismount, but he did not stick the landingk." and you don't even have to fight Championchik, either. Your good buddy Brayko takes care of him, too.

My favorite line is, of course, Steven Heck's line at the end of this conversation:
"What you need to do is find this Omen guy, tie him to a chair and give him the bees."
"The bees?"
"The goddamn bees."

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

If this game had Deus Ex Human Revolution's cover system and shooting mechanics it could have been GOTY. It's a shame that as they are they make the game almost unplayable for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Dareon posted:

In general Heck likes Suave responses and dislikes Businesslike. Aggressive is a bit of a crapshoot, one response during his meeting (I think it's the "lard on guns" question) results in Mike going "Are you clinically incapable of getting to the point?" (Heck -1) while after the Chingmei Station mission Aggressive yields a line like "Did they think they could keep anything from spies like us?" (Heck +1)

Edit: Also the best way to piss him off is to do all the other available Taipei missions before you contact him.

Yes, and she needs to be of a specific mindset about you, probably based both on her feelings for you and your JB type. I managed it once, but flubbed the Scarlet romance on that play and haven't managed to get SIE to want Thorton's ubermensch rod again.

SIE Answer aggresive to everything she says ever. I managed to get ladies man on my first playthrough :smug:

• Locked thread