Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I used to play SS13 all the time, and I stopped when Goonstation started to split off from the main code into what it is now. I still play every now and again, but some of the new stuff (new ways to make bombs, Chemistry system) I don't have the hang of yet and every time I try to get back into the game there's like five new things you can do and a revised map, so it's a little hard to do that. I think my favorite round with the new material was the time I was picked to be the Traitor when I was the AI and managed to kill the Captain by sealing him in the injector room in Toxins just as a fire was started in it. From what I saw of the Goonstation changes, I like most of them. Some of the really easily abusable things I kind of dislike (poo flinging, floor mopping, etc), but stuff like the AI, Chemistry, and changes to Atmospherics are outstanding.

Griefing in the older versions could be a lot more difficult, but it could also be a lot more fun. I remember one really old version where you could put people in lockers, and then abuse a glitch to put that same locker in your pocket. I started playing after this was patched out, but I did manage to play on an even older version that still had this once. I've never done it myself though. Breaking a large oxygen tank used to shuffle stuff around a room a lot more too. You could break an oxygen tank in any room and five seconds later all the players would be up against the wall unable to move and every item would be strewn all over the floor sliding around in every direction.

Back when I started playing, making a bomb took over an hour to do because the heater could only siphon and release plasma at an extremely slow rate (now it can empty and fill the entire canister in about a second). The actual process of making a bomb wasn't common knowledge either, it was an unspoken rule that no one who knew how to make one would tell anyone else, so it was quite satisfying when you finally figured out how all of the components worked and managed to have no one find out what you were doing for an hour until you could blow up Security because gently caress those assholes. Basically back in my day, we griefed uphill, through the snow, both ways.

In earlier versions, you could stuff any item into an escape pod, and it had infinite carrying capacity. You could abuse this to stuff all of the plasma tanks in the Engine storage (about 30 or so) on top of each other. Blowing a bomb on top of this in the right spot (bottom right corner of the engine) would create an explosion large enough to consume the entire station. You could also abuse it to drive around the station in an armored vehicle, leaving a big mess everywhere and popping out to murder people and toss their corpses at other people then driving off before they could do anything about it.

Another fun thing to play around with was the DNA machine, which could be used to turn people into monkeys, clones of other people, or give them diseases. Occasionally I would kidnap the entire crew, stuff them in the DNA machine, give them every debilitation in the game, then stuff them into the main Medical bay which I'd have walled off (I'd turn one of the walls on the side of the medical bay into a fake wall so I could open and close it) and laugh as they run around naked, drooling and falling over themselves every couple of steps. You could also use this machine to change your fingerprints, so if you could get someone else's fingerprint records you could get someone else blamed for your actions. One round I managed to get the crew to execute the Captain by doing this, although as I was the traitor I don't think that exactly counts as griefing.

Right after Nuclear mode was added (3-5 or so guys have a nuclear bomb and need to steal the disk to activate it from the station's crew, then detonate it), there was another nuclear bomb hidden on a different Z-level on a station that also had full body armor (SWAT Armor) and multiple heaters on it. The code for it was the same on every round (changed in a later version to be randomized :(), and a player I knew managed to figure out what the code was and gave it to me. I'm pretty sure it was changed to a randomized code simply because I abused it so much by teleporting it into the middle of the station and exploding it. Kind of a dumb grief really, but there were a few times when I used it where it was funny or had good timing.

It's always been very easy to abuse your power as a Security Officer, seeing as you had access to projectile weapons and the only set of see-people-through-walls goggles in the game, along with flashbangs which you can easily permanently blind/deafen people with. I don't really remember ever griefing as a Security Officer though. It was really the only role I'd ever take completely seriously, mostly because I hated how everyone else used it as a position to act like a condescending, self-important rear end in a top hat who'd throw you in the brig for standing in his way in the hallway.

There was also the cheap, easy stuff back then that I assume you can still do, such as filling the station with plasma (poison gas basically) and/or setting it on fire, ejecting the engine with the engineers still in it, welding someone into a locker then tossing them out into space, breaking an airlock to trap people inside of a room, etc.

A lot of these new stories sound like a lot of fun though, I might get back into the game. Occasionally I get a message from a goon to come play again, but it's always like ehhhhhhhhhh... :effort:. It takes a lot of effort to really get into the game, it took me at least three months of regular play to figure out everything when I started. I remember it being pretty easy to pick up the basics though, so for anyone thinking of trying it out you should give it a shot cause it can be pretty fun even if you're not abusing the air system to fill the station with poison or kidnapping people and forcing them to participate in the Thunderdome you set up below spawn.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jul 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hole Wolf
Apr 28, 2011

Sankis posted:

I liked SS13 (I even brought it to SA!) a lot back in the day but the overall stupidity of the people playing got to me. It was nice to read a story about something silly happening, but when everyone went out of their way to do that same silly thing over and over it got old. What, you mean the toxin lab blew up oh my god i am so shocked! Someone is starting a revolution 30 seconds into the game? Okay, cool.

Has it calmed down any?

edit: I guess my problem was that everyone wanted to be the wacky sidekick and there was never the straight man to play off of.

Gibbed 4 is normally pretty calm, but it's summer and SS13 got plugged on 4chan recently so all the servers are at like twice their normal population so it's pretty lovely right now.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The only real griefing I remember that stands out as unusual was ther was a quest chain in World of Warcraft, where if you failed it you got a debuff that made you hostile to your own faction's NPCs (but not players).

If you went into the Orgrimmar and shot one of the NPCs that let you queue for Battlegrounds, they'd immediately rush you and kill you in 1 or 2 hits. The thing is, there was a ledge in the room that NPCs couldn't path up, and if you hit the Battlemaster from there, they'd flag everybody of your faction (... which inluded tons of people in the room trying to queue for BGs) as hostile and just stand there throwing out monstrous cleaving strikes that hit groups of people for massive damage every second or so. You could effectively lock down a large part of the pvp queue because people would rather stand there and scream "WTF?!?!" and die repeatedly than just go to another city.

I was one of the only people on my server that did it, but apparently it was prevalent enough it got fixed in the very next patch. :saddowns:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Sankis posted:

I liked SS13 (I even brought it to SA!) a lot back in the day but the overall stupidity of the people playing got to me. It was nice to read a story about something silly happening, but when everyone went out of their way to do that same silly thing over and over it got old. What, you mean the toxin lab blew up oh my god i am so shocked! Someone is starting a revolution 30 seconds into the game? Okay, cool.

Has it calmed down any?

edit: I guess my problem was that everyone wanted to be the wacky sidekick and there was never the straight man to play off of.
I have to agree. SS13 is a lot of fun and has a lot of potential, but when, in every single round, every single person tries to knock others out and weld them into lockers or turn them into robots or whatever, it loses its charm.
I'm also kind of tired of being knocked out at the start of every round by people that aren't even playing the traitor. For every clever or cinematic story there's fifty "and then some guy randomly brained me with a toolbox, which happens about as fast as you can click thanks to the engine, and then I died/was welded in a locker and left there for the entire round".

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The entire round being as long as two hours.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Zaodai posted:

The only real griefing I remember that stands out as unusual was ther was a quest chain in World of Warcraft, where if you failed it you got a debuff that made you hostile to your own faction's NPCs (but not players).

If you went into the Orgrimmar and shot one of the NPCs that let you queue for Battlegrounds, they'd immediately rush you and kill you in 1 or 2 hits. The thing is, there was a ledge in the room that NPCs couldn't path up, and if you hit the Battlemaster from there, they'd flag everybody of your faction (... which inluded tons of people in the room trying to queue for BGs) as hostile and just stand there throwing out monstrous cleaving strikes that hit groups of people for massive damage every second or so. You could effectively lock down a large part of the pvp queue because people would rather stand there and scream "WTF?!?!" and die repeatedly than just go to another city.

I was one of the only people on my server that did it, but apparently it was prevalent enough it got fixed in the very next patch. :saddowns:

This was described by Vargs in depth, with screenshots, right before the SS13 chat.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Oh one of the most grieftastic jobs is Janitor. Janitors are exactly that, they spawn with a mop, bucket, and can mop the station... wet floors = slip. Also they have 3 cleaner grenades, which are a giant field of slipfoam... and janitors are immune to it thanks to owning a pair of big yellow rubberf galoshes. A Well played janitor can interrupt a grief train in an instant, or grief on his own. Also Traitor janitors can get a poo nuke. Nuke the station in poo with it.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Sankis posted:

Has it calmed down any?

Well, I get the feeling that the admins started cracking down on that a lot near the end of my run, but there were still a lot of idiots who thought it would be hilarious to go flood the halls with CO2.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 7, 2011

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The biggest tip to have fun if you play SS13: don't play as security. Basically ingame security's job is to shut down people causing trouble, which tends to make them the primary targets of anyone else who wants to cause trouble AND the admins, when the frustrated security players eventually have to pull out the stops in a futile attempt to keep 'order'.

The best job if you want to start slow but eventually have some really badass gear is miner.

e: the reason playing security is so miserable, aside from the issues mentioned, is that SS13's control system is a piece of poo poo so it's just tiresome to catch someone running away. Granted it's better than it used to be.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
There really ought to be more lets plays of SS13. That way even the people who are absolutely confused about it can experience it(ie me)

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
I think its just Youtube LP but this guy taught me more or less the ins and outs of some of the more complex/unintuitive stuff http://www.youtube.com/user/jakepistheman#g/c/C801D1C56E0F579F

ohnorobot
Nov 24, 2006

10> OH
20> NO
30> GOTO 10
Ahh SS13 griefing.
Some of the most fun I had in game was when the admins would start to grief the crew. Some of the tools they have at their disposal give you a peek of how complex the game can be, and how creative they can get. Sometimes admins just loving around with griefing end up creating new game modes, or help refine features they plan to release.
Nothing is more terrifying than stepping off of the entrance shuttle to find the hallways pitch black, broken glass everywhere. You grab some emergency O2 and a flashlight and try to book it to the escape shuttle. You turn down a hallway and bounce off of an obstacle, and find yourself in a labyrinth of glass, banana peels, and blood. You hear, "No one, escapes the Minotaur..." and into your field of vision steps a man carrying an axe, splashed with gore, and dressed as Santa Claus. Slipping and crying you stumble over corpses as he easily smashes through the plate glass walls in pursuit. You come to a stop: someone has blown a hole the size of a bus in the escape wing. The only thing left is for you to hold your breath and pray as you leap out and embrace the void.

One SS13 grief I remember from back when Data was so desperately at war with the goons: Data had his own special serious business, high RP server which, as mentioned, ran on a much older, much buggier code. One player, who's name escapes me, dropped in and kept a fairly low profile, because if Data even smelled :10bux: on your breath, you would be banned so fast it would make your head spin. He started collecting random small objects: pens, pieces of paper, flashlights, radios. Then he went to the chapel and put them on the Mass Driver, essentially a futuristic catapult for slinging corpses, or almost corpses into space. Once he got a stack of objects sufficiently huge, he pushed the button and let them fly. Apparently the code then had to account for, compile, and reposition every single item individually for each movement which, being space, is infinite. Crashed the server for several hours as the poor computer tried to work out how to fire a couple hundred pieces of paper in a straight line.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Nothing is more terrifying than stepping off of the entrance shuttle to find the hallways pitch black, broken glass everywhere.

Actually this happens almost every round so uh

ohnorobot
Nov 24, 2006

10> OH
20> NO
30> GOTO 10

-Troika- posted:

Actually this happens almost every round so uh

yeah logging in blind, you pretty much have to expect to hit the ground running. But sometimes, the Labyrinth especially, the bloodbath can be pretty overwhelming.

Jzmisgoo
Sep 15, 2007

Jzm IS goo!!

Sankis posted:

Has it calmed down any?

It's calmed down a bit now that there are more jobs that actually serve a purpose instead of engineers that just start the engine in the first 30 seconds and then have nothing else to do for the entire round.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I normally don't grief unless provoked, but reading these stories makes me want to go out of my way more often.

Halo: Reach

I've never been a fantastic competitive player, but I've always felt I was pretty good at killing the enemy AI so I primarily stuck to Firefight levels. (I've never really struggled with Legendary modes in any Halo game, and I managed to consistently score the most points in Matchmaking Firefights).

Anyways, I was playing with a group of randoms guys for a few maps and all was good. After a time though, one of the players started to get a bit bored. His annoyingly squeaky teenage voice flooded voice chat as he started rambling about pop culture this and how such and such a celebrity is a slut and he'd totally wreck that. The following round he just started swearing a lot and generally was annoying as he got too loving excited over everything, literally screaming into his headset at times. The third round he just sang a pop song terribly over and over again... just the first verse and chorus, I think it was Katy Perry's "I Kissed a Girl."

The other players weren't telling him off so I assume they just muted him. I couldn't be bothered so I just decided to shadow him for the next couple of rounds. He was a decent player so he had few deaths. What I did was I stayed out of sight until he engaged some Covenant troopers. I then shot at him with a battle rifle or assault rifle until his shields dropped. The AI was then able to kill him with only a few hits, causing the player to stop singing and mutter a curse. As he began to die with more frequency he became more frustrated shouting "gently caress" and "what the hell" and "this is bullshit."

The next round I was more brazen and actually ran behind him hitting him with melee to keep his shields down constantly. The first time I did it, he paused to look at me as if shocked. "What are you doing?" he asked, but my only reply was to smack him as soon as his shields began to recharge. At this point he attempted to resume playing the game, but kept dying because he had no shields. "Why are you doing this, Blind sally?" "What have I ever done to you?" "I havent done anything!" "stop it!" "Go away!" "gently caress OFF" He began to get really frustrated.

He started shooting back, but wasn't dumb enough to kill me (a couple team kills and I'd be prompted to boot him), but this just left him further open to enemy fire and so he died more.

When we came back to the lobby he was pissed and started calling me a human being and such, but I had already cued up Katy Perry's "I kissed a girl" and had it blaring into my own headset in the lobby chat. He promptly quit out. In reply, I sent him a friends request with a message that said "good game."

He never accepted.

Castle Crashers

In this instance I was just kind of griefing for the sake of it.

I joined a group of people playing through the game. They were stuck on the Desert Level and seemed to have been throwing themselves at it for a while to no avail, despite being all leveled to their 20s and 30s. I joined with the Peasant character which I hadn't used up until that point, so I was only Level 1.

I've played the gently caress out of Castle Crasher. Had it on the 360 before I sold it, and now I was playing it again on the PS3. So staying alive in this area was now problem, I just wasn't of any use against anything other than a scorpion.

However, these guys with their Ice Swords and DLC Axes and chainsaws (the DLC weapons for the 360 version come standard with the PS3 version) with their higher level characters were getting creamed... on normal difficulty. Once all dead, I had to stop killing scorpions and kill actual enemies, only it took me a really long time. They kept getting bored and annoying and asking for me to bring them back to life, but I ignored them. I slowly plinked away at the enemies health with the bow and arrow until they all died. This happened multiple times much to my teams annoyance.

They also had this weird compulsion of having to dig up every "X" on the map. Whenever thy uncovered a weapon they picked it up, despite already having obtained it and having an infinitely better end-game weapon. They would all take turns picking up the uncovered weapon, it was weird. Now, for anyone who hasn't played Castle Crashers (which is crazy), when you pikc up a new weapon, your old one falls to the ground for any of your team mates to pick up. So I started picking up their awesome weapons. Now, because I was only a level 2-3 player at this point, I couldn't use these weapons. So instead of equipping the awesome level 20 Ice sword or level 30 chainsaw and dropping my 0-level pitch fork, their weapons just disappeared from the level and they were stuck with whatever junk they had dug up from the desert.

This annoyed them to no end. I mean, they hadn't lost their weapons, they could always reclaim them from the blacksmith after the level, but it was inconveniencing them and they were unhappy. This went on for a while. We died a few times and retried the level but I continued doing what I was doing and they were getting fed up. Two guys left the game, but the host was adamant to keep playing, only now he wanted to kick my rear end in an arena.

Now, I was only level 7 at this point, and he was something like 34 or 35. It was not a fair fight. Only I continued to win. I had a couple of tactics... one was to just hang around really close to one of the giant cats on either side of the stage. He wasn't very good and would inevitably get swatted by one of them, to which I would run up and stomp on him repeatedly so that he couldn't get up. This dude screamed as he watched me jump up and down on his character doing only 1 or 2 damage a hit, and yet timing it so that he could rarely get back up. If he did happen to get back on his feet and I wasn't near a cat, I use my shield (he didn't seem to realize there was a block button himself) and block all his hits. The moment he'd get to close to me, I'd pick him up and toss him, then go back to stomping on him repeatedly. Took a while, but I eventually killed him and won the match. Did this four times before he quit too.

(huh, that's a lot of text about mildly annoying people).

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Blind Sally posted:

Castle Crashers

Seriously, the best grief is simply being a better player than other people.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
Just remembered a favorite grief of mine. In CS_Office there was an exit sign you could stand on right above one of the super common entrances for the CT to enter the building. I'd join the Terrorist team, sprint down to that stairwell, hop on top of the exit sign, and shoot at any CT that walked in the building. It wasn't that much of a grief at first, but after you get the pump-action/AWP kills going, people get pretty pissy

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Ok, I just griefed Gib 4 pretty good, and its fairly classic.

I was an electrician, and being that I decided I would block off escape using a bunch of gibbers. Those are what you can stuff people in to make meat. So I get the chef to let me in, scan the gibber and begin, I get one built when a paranoid impulse takes me over, and I make a jetpack thermals and a spare parts vendor (you can make a vendor with parts in it... from parts... less parts. ie infinite loop.) and good thing too, big rear end meteor busts in and takes out the original vendors, normally we would be partsless but I am prepared. I reset up shop and get a space suit and begin building more gibbers, then the shuttle is called. well poo poo but I press on and get 3 more gibbers built to go with the first already set up, and then the hop comes in with guns and demands the thermals, I turn them over and book it for escape. Surprisingly escape was empty with about 2:30 before the shuttle arrives so I set up the gibbers to finish blocking the airlocks and also the one window easily reached.

(The escape shuttle on ss13 has indestructible walls, 2 doorways that hook up to the escape airlocks and a single window facing escape, with those all blocked it becomes practically impossible to get into the shuttle. there are other windows but you need a spacesuit jetpack and skills to breach it in time.)

then I get stunrodded, well poo poo someone is cloaking and I gave away the thermals(Detect cloaker), about 30 seconds left, instead of hurling me into space (would have gotten me away from the shuttle and unable to board.) he begins beating me with a circular saw, then strips me but the shuttle comes. All this time he could stuff me in the gibbers but doesn't then he hurls me into the backwall and throws a bomb at me. I think quickly and guess he has to escape alone. I inform him (lie) that the bomb will take out the gibber blocking the escape airlock at least... so he removes the bomb and begins beating me again realizing how dumb he is I use a little known emote *deathgasp. Using this displays the death message and can fool a dumb player. so he drops the bomb again further away from the gibber and there is a minute on the clock. I think i'm hosed, but he performs the early launch sequence of 3 head ids into the console, 10 seconds left, 8 bomb goes off, due to distance I am not immediately killed. all the while people are beating on the walls and screaming bloody murder at us. 4, I drop into crit 0. I type succumb as the shuttle launches. The traitor was the RD and he had to escape alone, I made him fail his objective (any objective fails and the traitor completely fails), it was only me and him on the shuttle and he could have killed me if he was competent.

And thats how I griefed a space station.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

Just remembered a favorite grief of mine. In CS_Office there was an exit sign you could stand on right above one of the super common entrances for the CT to enter the building. I'd join the Terrorist team, sprint down to that stairwell, hop on top of the exit sign, and shoot at any CT that walked in the building. It wasn't that much of a grief at first, but after you get the pump-action/AWP kills going, people get pretty pissy

So you griefed by running to a good spot and killing enemies? :confused:

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Elman posted:

I'll explain further:

The Exit sign is immediately above the doorway, and you aren't supposed to be able to stand on it. There's no way to shoot a person standing on the sign unless you enter the room, but if you enter the room you're basically dead. The only other way into the room is through the office building itself, and you can keep an eye on that door and the main door at the same time. So you're able to camp for a very long amount of time, and kill the same people who are adamant about shooting you over and over again.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Elman posted:

Counter-Strike is a strange, sad game.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Elman posted:

You'd be surprised how angry this will make most CS players.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
The recent revival in Monday Night Combat reminded me of a grief I pulled off with a couple other goons, PalmTree and TJChap.

Back when Goonday Night Combat was still active, we'd get in on Mumble and play PUG matches. One time, we came across a very vocal individual: typical armchair general type and a colossal prick to boot, he berated his team constantly and would just loving shriek and rave when he lost. I managed to get on his shitlist by having the audacity to use stickybombs and tackles as the Assault class, which he responded to by saying "mash E more human being." This is pretty funny because he exclusively played Assassin, which at the time was pretty much the easy-mode class since all you had to do to kill anyone was lunge and then mash the grapple button, which would cause you to lunge with your sword and immediately grapple before the slashing animation finished.

It dawns on me that not even the other pubbies like this oval office at all, so Palm and I decided to do this to him. He'd go Assassin while I'd plant bombs on him as an Assault, and once he got close enough I'd blow them both to smithereens. The guy lost it in voice chat and pretended to play it cool in the next round... which is where TJ showed up on my team and went to town on the guy, killing him at every opportunity possible.

Finally, Palm and I managed to ring-out Mr. Armchair General, who promptly ragequit after I taunted. I only wish we'd had the foresight to get the whole thing on Fraps.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
Someone pulled a cool stunt in eve online yesterday and got a live event ship killed by using CONCORD(the invincible NPC uberpolice force of eve)
http://kb.eve-incursions.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=154
It was piloted by developer and attacking any players unprovoked didn't cause CONCORD attack as it does for normal players.
The trick was this - one of players provoked CONCORD to go after him and went into AoE weapon range of dev ship, causing it to hit a CONCORD ship and get BBQd. :bravo:

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Pyromancer posted:

Someone pulled a cool stunt in eve online yesterday and got a live event ship killed by using CONCORD(the invincible NPC uberpolice force of eve)
It was piloted by developer and attacking any players unprovoked didn't cause CONCORD attack as it does for normal players.
The trick was this - one of players provoked CONCORD to go after him and went into AoE weapon range of dev ship, causing it to hit a CONCORD ship and get BBQd. :bravo:

Like so many other EVE stories, this sounds like it could be a pretty interesting story if I could understand what your description meant. Would you mind putting that in English because it sounds kind of cool.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Hungryjack posted:

Like so many other EVE stories, this sounds like it could be a pretty interesting story if I could understand what your description meant. Would you mind putting that in English because it sounds kind of cool.

There's only two words in there that you could possible not know the meaning of, it's just poorly worded.

Pyromancer posted:

Someone pulled a cool stunt in the online video game EVE Online yesterday. They got a ship that was being piloted by one of the developers as part of a live event they were doing killed by the NPC police force of the game. This developer was attacking players unprovoked, but CONCORD (the police force) weren't attacking him, like they do if a regular player was displaying this behaviour. What they did was provoke the police force to go after him and then flew into the area of effect weapon range of the developer's ship, causing him to accidentally attack the CONCORD ship and get barbecued by the NPC police.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Tufty posted:

There's only two words in there that you could possible not know the meaning of, it's just poorly worded.

Someone pulled a cool stunt in the online video game EVE Online yesterday. They got a ship that was being piloted by one of the developers as part of a live event they were doing killed by the NPC police force of the game. This developer was attacking players unprovoked, but CONCORD (the police force) weren't attacking him, like they do if a regular player was displaying this behaviour. What they did was provoke the police force to go after him and then flew into the area of effect weapon range of the developer's ship, causing him to accidentally attack the CONCORD ship and get barbecued by the NPC police.

Hmm, that's not as interesting as I'd hoped. So the developer was doing an event where the players were supposed to fight back and kill him? And a player got the NPC police force to do the job for him.

Got it.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Shnag posted:

The assassin had the ability to disguise her self once upgraded, and she also had a access to a transportation device that was invisible to the enemy. So she could drop the exit by her flag post, and place the entrance at the enemies flag. This is one exploit i took advantage of, and it was really hard to defend against. you could watch your flag get stolen and watch them disappear before you have a chance to stop it.

There were plenty of exploits with that thing like getting your team under the floor of the hallway map and setting up turrets in their spawn.

What I really liked to do was push the exit through a spot on that big circular arena map so any teamate taking the teleporter would end up falling into the lava under the map. That was generally my solution whenever some douchey host set the game to 1 life.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Thompsons posted:

The recent revival in Monday Night Combat reminded me of a grief I pulled off with a couple other goons, PalmTree and TJChap.

Back when Goonday Night Combat was still active, we'd get in on Mumble and play PUG matches. One time, we came across a very vocal individual: typical armchair general type and a colossal prick to boot, he berated his team constantly and would just loving shriek and rave when he lost. I managed to get on his shitlist by having the audacity to use stickybombs and tackles as the Assault class, which he responded to by saying "mash E more human being." This is pretty funny because he exclusively played Assassin, which at the time was pretty much the easy-mode class since all you had to do to kill anyone was lunge and then mash the grapple button, which would cause you to lunge with your sword and immediately grapple before the slashing animation finished.

It dawns on me that not even the other pubbies like this oval office at all, so Palm and I decided to do this to him. He'd go Assassin while I'd plant bombs on him as an Assault, and once he got close enough I'd blow them both to smithereens. The guy lost it in voice chat and pretended to play it cool in the next round... which is where TJ showed up on my team and went to town on the guy, killing him at every opportunity possible.

Finally, Palm and I managed to ring-out Mr. Armchair General, who promptly ragequit after I taunted. I only wish we'd had the foresight to get the whole thing on Fraps.

That was a fun one. I think we only Natural Playboy'd the guy once before he left because we kept loving up the bomb toss to latch the bomb on my head, but I think just kicking his rear end was satisfying enough, seeing how good Poo McGoo (TJChap) was compared to everyone else at the time.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Dauntasa posted:

I think I might have been in that round. I was an RD traitor, I had to kill some random Engineer, call the shuttle in 45 minutes, and hijack it. So I chem up and get a sleepypen and a cloaker. One of the chemists leaves the station and I pen the other one. Then I use the rest on a monkey and whip up a batch of initro only to find that it's been changed and there's some new trick to making it that I don't know. So I fill the pen with neurotoxin instead and head to the main station, where I murder the captain and take his IDs. I call the shuttle from the bridge and delete commaster, wait a few minutes, then go to the escape arm to find that someone else is blocking it off by building gibbers. There's a hole in the Arrivals shuttle, so I grab the stun baton from the security checkpoint and float out next to the guy, then stun him. I strip him and I'm about to chuck him into deep space when the shuttle arrives. For some reason, I can't feed him into the gibbers, so I set the bomb the RD starts off with to 3 seconds and drop it next to him. It proceeds to not explode for an entire minute, and then when it does it's the weakest bomb ever made and doesn't kill him. So I run over and start hitting him with a circular saw until he dies, then use my IDs on the console and make the shuttle leave. Then I lose because the jerk fake death-gasped and was actually still alive.

Story from the RD I griefed on SS13, my side earlier in the thread, not as well written BUT I GOT HIM.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

AtomikKrab posted:

Story from the RD I griefed on SS13, my side earlier in the thread, not as well written BUT I GOT HIM.

Yeah, you didn't tell me that the bomb would destroy the gibbers and get me to remove it. It actually went off on the square next to you, it just somehow failed to kill you. I sort of assumed that, after a bomb went off 2 feet away from you and I spent a solid minute sawing your head, you would be dead.

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
I joined SA because of SS13, and we used to do ALOT of griefing in that game. However the griefing story i'm gonna talk about isnt SS13, but dwarf fortress.

You may be wondering how you can grief in Dwarf Fortress, it's a single player game. However over on the bay12 forums they often play sucession games, with each player taking a year to add to the fortress. After my turn some other guys turn was up, and thats when he created the most wonderous griefing in dwarf fortres I've ever seen.

Some people had attempted to grief the sucession games before, but if you just make it outright obvious they'll just rollback to the last save and be done with it, which means you've got to be sneaky. This guy was sneaky.

The guy after him complained that a massive mechanical nightmare had been build in the fortress. He posted screenshots of it but none of us could work out what this sprawling monster was meant to do, it had tons of redundent systems that covered it making it hard to work out, it had different outputs such that no one knew what was real and what was just trickery. However they did work out that atleast part of it was hooked up to lava and water. Mixing lava and water is generally something you do in a controlled enviroment, not in your fort, and so they wisely decided not to pull the leaver.

The grief would never off happened if the guy didnt have an accomplice a couple of turns down the line. On his go he initially acted like any other player, expanding the fortress etc, but at the end he pulled the lever, and the fortress died in a wonderful spectacle of fire, water and falling pillars.

Now the participants were stuck in a difficult situation, they couldnt just reset to before the second guy pulled the lever, because the system was still rigged up, and frankly we were all nooby apart from the guy who built it and none of us could work out how to disable the drat thing well enough that a griefer couldnt repair it in a 5 minute period and break the fortress again. Likewise they didnt want to reset to before the machine was built, as that was several turns ago and meant that a good few peoples turns would be deleted in the process, plus bay12 refer to this as savescumming and hate doing it.

So thats how some amazing person griefed around 20 people in a singleplayer game, and ensured I would play dwarf fortress for a long, long time.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

d3c0y2 posted:

ensured I would play dwarf fortress for a long, long time.

You have been griefed in more ways than you think

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

d3c0y2 posted:

... none of us could work out how to disable the drat thing well enough that a griefer couldnt repair it in a 5 minute period and break the fortress again.

One, remove the lever.

Two, build a few walls around where the lava and water vents are, maybe a few more among the pillars to call it a day.

Honestly from the leadup to the conclusion I was sure the guy had set up one of those enormous timer machines set up to release fire and death into the fortress in exactly three year's time, that would rule. But it's just lever activated? Lame. I guarantee you 99% of the machine did nothing, and the rest was all just some hatches, floodgates, and pillars hooked up to the lever. If the trap was sprung by someone pulling the lever, why not revert to just before the lever pull and scrap it?

Boatmurdered, some gently caress tampered with the annual field-irrigation system so when the next player tried to water the fields it also permaflooded the personal bedrooms of some previous players, killing their avatar dwarves. That's griefy and I hate and love them for it.

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009

Mystic Mongol posted:

One, remove the lever.

Two, build a few walls around where the lava and water vents are, maybe a few more among the pillars to call it a day.

Honestly from the leadup to the conclusion I was sure the guy had set up one of those enormous timer machines set up to release fire and death into the fortress in exactly three year's time, that would rule. But it's just lever activated? Lame. I guarantee you 99% of the machine did nothing, and the rest was all just some hatches, floodgates, and pillars hooked up to the lever. If the trap was sprung by someone pulling the lever, why not revert to just before the lever pull and scrap it?

Boatmurdered, some gently caress tampered with the annual field-irrigation system so when the next player tried to water the fields it also permaflooded the personal bedrooms of some previous players, killing their avatar dwarves. That's griefy and I hate and love them for it.

Yeah i'm aware of all that now, after playing for a long time I could easily break it. However it was a newbie game and it was the sort of game were most people were trying to just gently caress something up and die, and were totally unprepared for the sprawling machine.

I think one guy did try and remove the lever, but the guy simply replaced it. Some basic walls wouldnt of done much good either as you'd be able to very quickly tear them down if you just activated masonry on alot of guys.

If I was in that same situation today I would break the massive water wheel powering the drat thing, then any wood that didnt fall into the river, i'd build into beds and other crap.

kuribo
Aug 2, 2003

Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow.
Okay, so the recent World of Warcraft patch added a quest line that pretty much everyone would want / need to do.

One part of this quest line involves killing a bunch of elementals in a floating tower, about 500 feet above the ocean. If you fall off the tower, or die, your kill counter starts all over again.

Now, Priests have an ability that lets them take control of someone else's character for a very short amount of time. Just long enough to, say, hurl someone off a cliff.

This is how I spent patch night, when that tower was most crowded:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A67eFZR_jog

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

PalmTreeFun posted:

Anal prolapse?

(oh god don't tell me the game actually has that :gonk:)
Nope, if you try to poo poo with no butt in SS13 you explode in a shower of gibs and human feces. This is particularly funny because it's the janitor's job to clean up stains so he has to clean up blood, gibs and poo poo from wherever you decided to do it.

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011
So I was playing Heroes of Newerth with a few friends last night, and randomed the hero Pebbles. autobalance meant one friend was on my team, and the others on the opposing side. This one friend is a real tryhard, abusing me every time I die - which I do a lot, because I'm pretty bad. Anyway, Pebbles has this ability called Chuck, in which you throw the nearest unit at an enemy to deal damage. Better yet, it's on a ten second cooldown.

The game was lost at the twenty minute mark, so I spent the next fifteen sneaking up to my friend and throwing him from his sneaky hiding spots at enemies. If we were being chased, my friend would gladly "volunteer" to sail through the air to buy me time. If they were anywhere near our base, he would suddenly fly over the ramparts in a valiant effort to solo kill the entire enemy team. Whats more, my other friends caught on to my scheme and would run right up to the walls, allowing me to throw him if he left our fountain.

At the end of the game he unironically told me to kill myself and uninvited me from his 21st.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Your one friend sounds like a turd.

• Locked thread