Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Bambi posted:

And double the memory, no? Is the screen resolution the same as the D3?

Yeah, double the memory, though we don't know how much is free due to webtop.

sadus posted:

I still can't get over the 2GB for $30/month insanity. That would be a more appropriate (but still fairly conservative) daily limit. I'm going to make this OG Droid last me until I switch to Sprint when my contract is up, which would be pretty soon but unfortunately got extended out another year due to adding a second line/phone for my wife last year.

Why are you even worried about it? You obviously already have data with verizon so the tiers don't affect you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

dominator posted:

Also the keyboard is really really nice.

Man I miss a physical keyboard so much. Everyone kept telling me I would get used to it, and I guess I have gotten better at soft keyboards but man...even the OG Droid's horribly cramped keyboard was preferable to me over the best soft keyboard.

I'm glad it initially seems like a good phone, I hope it gets a little more press than the DX2 did but I doubt it will as it isn't the Bionic. I saw 0 commercials for the Droid X2 I think.

bull3964 posted:

Why are you even worried about it? You obviously already have data with verizon so the tiers don't affect you.

The principle maybe? I dunno, I would rather keep the unlimited data for when I get a sweet 4G phone instead of stand up to the man and make a statement. I'm a pretty big whore like that though.

Jimby Nougats
May 6, 2009

I've absolutely had it with my Eris, but I definitely want to handle both the D3 and Bionic before dropping a huge bundle on either. I'm luckily already on the grandfathered unlimited plan. If only T-Mobile hadn't been gobbled up. I'd gladly drop Verizon forever next spring when my contract is up. At least there are two (hopefully) really solid phones that can last me a long while with those two, though.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Well this is awesome. Last night my Thuderbolt decided to stop seeing 3G access in Greensboro, NC. I've never had a problem out there before. It was completely out of the blue and has not connected since.

I toyed with it for a bit last night. nothing.
I did a firmware reset this morning. nothing.
called tech support and he basically told me that I was in an extended coverage area so I would probably lose 3G once in a while. I told him that in the month and a half I'd been going out there, I had never once lost signal. Also, I was talking to him from my girlfriends Droid which had 3G.

I'm back in Winston-Salem right now and still have no 3G.

What the gently caress happened?

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Mainly just on principle, based on bad childhood memories of my small home town's single cable modem provider also abusing their near monopoly by having really lovely quotas. But even with no ethics in the equation, sooner or later they are bound to cancel the unlimited plan grandfathering, at which point everyone will be hosed. Even if that lets people get out of their contracts without ETFs I'm sure they will be wanting their hardware subsidy money back.

I don't know exactly how fast LTE/4G can go up to, but lets say 25 megabits/sec. Downloading at those speeds it would take 11 minutes to go over your *monthly* quota, that's just an absolute joke.

For hosting providers at least, raw bandwidth costs are about $1 per megabit per month. Used 24/7 that 1 megabit is ~300 GB give or take. At those rates the 2GB/month plan should be 20 cents. I'm sure Verizon has quite a bit more expenses managing all their cell towers and such, but still.

No one really downloads at full speed nonstop, but lets pretend someone did that by mistake somehow (unsecured wireless hotspot, retarded children torrenting the latest Shrek movie, or whatever). If we go with the 25 megabit/sec rate, that's ~7500 GB per month, which would be $80 for the first 10GB, and then an extra $74,900 to pay for the extra GB's at $10/gb. I think I've read LTE goes up to 40 or 50 mbits even so it could even be double that. I guess Verizon has invented diamond-studded platinum bits.

sadus fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 7, 2011

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I want to say that a tech blog did a test and it's possible to blow through your monthly allotment in like 20 something minutes real world (of course it would be 20 something minutes of solid downloading).

poo poo is absolutely ridiculous.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

From my perspective, I would rather my churn stat be directly attributable to removing grandfathered unlimited than do it right now where it gets lost in the mix. They won't be linking churn for smartphone users to data tiers at this point since they are grandfathering all the old accounts with unlimited. They will think you left for another reason.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Codiusprime posted:

I want to say that a tech blog did a test and it's possible to blow through your monthly allotment in like 20 something minutes real world (of course it would be 20 something minutes of solid downloading).

poo poo is absolutely ridiculous.

I would think if you were simply using it for facebook/twitter, email, news and an occasional youtube video, then it would be practically impossible to run through the 2GB in a month. Am i wrong? Heck, my wife and i were waiting to see if we could share the 2Gb between our lines to save money.

Edit: Also, does going through Amazon Wireless for phones have any issues when it comes to activation or employee discounts?

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 7, 2011

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I would think if you were simply using it for facebook/twitter, email, news and an occasional youtube video, then it would be practically impossible to run through the 2GB in a month. Am i wrong?

Depends on *how* occasional the youtube video is.

That is also a ridiculously light usage profile and doesn't get into things like video chat on Skype (which Verizon promotes), Netflix (which Verizon promotes), so on and so forth.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Edit: Also, does going through Amazon Wireless for phones have any issues when it comes to activation or employee discounts?

Amazon wireless is seamless IF you activate it in time*. The corporate discount you can do easily via email at vzw.com/discounts.

*we had an issue where my wife's phone came in early in the week and she was out on business and didn't activate it until Friday. Apparently this triggered some security crap and her number didn't finish fully porting for like 96 hours. She could still use the phone it just couldn't get dialed to. This is not the standard happening.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Any issues with the Blackberry Curve? Since the info on the Continuum has lead to her moving past it, she is looking at the Blackberry Curve (she does not care about touch screen capabilities).

Edit again: Can you upgrade through two different sites? My wife gets an extra $50 credit going through verizon but I can get a cheaper phone going through Amazon? Is she able to upgrade her phone through Verizon while I upgrade my phone through Amazon or am I just pipe dreaming?

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 7, 2011

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Any issues with the Blackberry Curve? Since the info on the Continuum has lead to her moving past it, she is looking at the Blackberry Curve (she does not care about touch screen capabilities).

Edit again: Can you upgrade through two different sites? My wife gets an extra $50 credit going through verizon but I can get a cheaper phone going through Amazon? Is she able to upgrade her phone through Verizon while I upgrade my phone through Amazon or am I just pipe dreaming?

The only issue is that it's an old blackberry. In my opinion, the only real reason to get a blackberry is if you need a blackberry. In actual concrete terms, maps and web browsing are better on android, texting and email will be better on blackberry. The tiny, bad screen is pretty much the death of doing anything else on the curve.

Getting upgrades though different groups is no problem at all.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

sadus posted:

Mainly just on principle, based on bad childhood memories of my small home town's single cable modem provider also abusing their near monopoly by having really lovely quotas. But even with no ethics in the equation, sooner or later they are bound to cancel the unlimited plan grandfathering, at which point everyone will be hosed. Even if that lets people get out of their contracts without ETFs I'm sure they will be wanting their hardware subsidy money back.

I don't know exactly how fast LTE/4G can go up to, but lets say 25 megabits/sec. Downloading at those speeds it would take 11 minutes to go over your *monthly* quota, that's just an absolute joke.

For hosting providers at least, raw bandwidth costs are about $1 per megabit per month. Used 24/7 that 1 megabit is ~300 GB give or take. At those rates the 2GB/month plan should be 20 cents. I'm sure Verizon has quite a bit more expenses managing all their cell towers and such, but still.

No one really downloads at full speed nonstop, but lets pretend someone did that by mistake somehow (unsecured wireless hotspot, retarded children torrenting the latest Shrek movie, or whatever). If we go with the 25 megabit/sec rate, that's ~7500 GB per month, which would be $80 for the first 10GB, and then an extra $74,900 to pay for the extra GB's at $10/gb. I think I've read LTE goes up to 40 or 50 mbits even so it could even be double that. I guess Verizon has invented diamond-studded platinum bits.

I think the rates that Verizon has set out are absolutely ridiculous, but in terms of capping there may not be a perfect option (except for throttling, which still has my vote). Verizon only has so much capacity, and they have a boatload of users switching to smartphones. So its either capped internet or a higher rate of outages and/or slow internet. The comparison of cable to wireless is not really a fair comparison (from what I understand anyway) as wireless cannot even handle close to the amount of usage that cable can.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, and I'd love to hear other's thoughts on this.

And no guarantees Sprint will ever not cap internet either, but they do have a lot more capacity to go the distance, assuming they don't go under.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Caseman posted:

My current contract expires on Monday, and I'm eligible for NE2. The Droid 3 is supposedly going on sale today sometime. If I call up Verizon is there any chance they'll give me a NE2 discount a few days early or am I going to have to wait until Monday to order my new phone?

I know of at least one other goon in this predicament so FYI: Called VZ customer care, and they basically told me their hands are tied, and I have to wait until Monday to call them back and order the phone for my $50 NE2 credit. Seems kind of strange to me but I guess I can wait a couple days.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

sadus posted:

I'm tired of wondering who is right and who is wrong on this. I want to do a real world test. If you guys can tell me a set of things to do every day (browse web for x minutes, watch x minutes of youtube, etc) in addition to my normal routines of using the phone as GPS, looking up businesses on the web, and checking e-mail, I will log every single thing I do every day for one billing cycle, and at the end of the billing cycle, find out exactly how much bandwidth was used.

Obviously, no tethering here. That's a power user thing. Think like normal people on their lunch break or something. I need parameters for the average user.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Aurium posted:

Getting upgrades though different groups is no problem at all.

So even though we are on a family plan, I can upgrade through amazon and my wife can upgrade through verizon. (not trying to be a douche, I just want to make sure)

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Aurium posted:

The only issue is that it's an old blackberry. In my opinion, the only real reason to get a blackberry is if you need a blackberry. In actual concrete terms, maps and web browsing are better on android, texting and email will be better on blackberry.
Considering the availability of the Droid Pro and the Droid 3 I wouldn't even say texting and email will be better on blackberry. Why anybody would seriously consider a blackberry in 2011 is beyond me.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

So was this rumor of $30 unlimited tethering on top of grandfathered unlimited data just a bunch of BS? I looked at the online account manager today and the only tethering plans I see have data caps.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I very much doubt VZW would allow you to tether LTE without limits. They would be none too thrilled with letting anyone blast through 100 gigs of data each month for $30.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

Is there any price match period after in-store purchases?

That leaked screencap that suggested an iPhone 4 price drop also showed the Thunderbolt as being free. I bought one Thunderbolt a week and a half ago, and another one on Saturday.

The leak could be total bullshit, but if it turns out to be real, is there any way to get some money back if it happens within 14 or 30 days of when I bought the phones?

The Price Protection policy allows for credits to your account for price drops within 14 days within the same direct VZW channel. Store or telesales purchases will not price match online orders. Also direct store, telesales or website prices will not match 3rd party retailers like Best Buy or Amazon.

Basically if you bought something directly from VZW and see the price drop call customer service for a credit if it is within 14 days to get an adjustment.

9PoolPony posted:

So there's $10 per gig you go over with the new model...

My question is if I use 2.1 gigs in a month, am I charged $10 when I use the .1 or only once I've used the whole gig?
In the past if you went even one motherfucking bit over the limit you would get charged for overage on any limited plan.

The new tiered pricing plans are supposed to have tolerances for a little overage without charging the $10.00 / GB rate. The exact level of how lenient this is going to be hasn't been told to us yet but something like %5-%10 is probably how they're going to roll.

If I am able to find an official source on some exact numbers I'll let you know

Luminous Cow posted:

I'm tired of wondering who is right and who is wrong on this. I want to do a real world test. If you guys can tell me a set of things to do every day (browse web for x minutes, watch x minutes of youtube, etc) in addition to my normal routines of using the phone as GPS, looking up businesses on the web, and checking e-mail, I will log every single thing I do every day for one billing cycle, and at the end of the billing cycle, find out exactly how much bandwidth was used.

Obviously, no tethering here. That's a power user thing. Think like normal people on their lunch break or something. I need parameters for the average user.

This is the official thing VZW gives out to estimate data usage:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/datacalculator/

The real answer is you don't know exactly what you use until you're using it. Use #DATA or a data monitor widget to keep track throughout your bill cycle so you don't get crazy overage.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

So was this rumor of $30 unlimited tethering on top of grandfathered unlimited data just a bunch of BS? I looked at the online account manager today and the only tethering plans I see have data caps.
The unlimited 4G tethering is a temporary promo. It was supposed to end 05/15/2011 but got extended to (I think) 07/15/2011.

Either way it is defiantly not permanent. Once the promo goes away your phone will prompt you to opt in to a paid feature the exact price and allowance of have not been announced yet.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

kitten smoothie posted:

www.droid-life.com/2011/07/07/verizon-unlimited-3g-customers-can-upgrade-to-4g-lte-and-receive-the-30-unlimited-hotspot-deal/

Seems legit. Looks like you have to be on 4G though.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

The Blarghonauts posted:

This is the official thing VZW gives out to estimate data usage:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/datacalculator/

No voice chat calculator, and a maximum of 2 hours streaming music and 1 hour streaming video a day... Not very realistic at all.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

I stream pandora at work sometimes, do a lot of light browsing, read books, check social media. I use, on average, 1.5gb/month. I imagine that's their "average user" which is why they set the cap at 2 gigs. I'm not defending it, I think the entire idea of bandwidth caps is ridiculous, but I can kind of understand their thinking.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

kitten smoothie posted:

Is there any price match period after in-store purchases?

That leaked screencap that suggested an iPhone 4 price drop also showed the Thunderbolt as being free. I bought one Thunderbolt a week and a half ago, and another one on Saturday.

The leak could be total bullshit, but if it turns out to be real, is there any way to get some money back if it happens within 14 or 30 days of when I bought the phones?

I found this screencap. It's full of errors which make me doubt it's authenticity. First off, the DroidX is listed twice, not even the new DroidX2, the original. It has the Citrus on sale as 14.99 whereas it's currently free. The Thunderbolt is also listed twice and says that at 50% off 299.99 it's free. First off, any amount of money to free is not 50% off. Secondly, the Thunderbolt was never 299.99, it was 249.99.

sadus posted:

No voice chat calculator, and a maximum of 2 hours streaming music and 1 hour streaming video a day... Not very realistic at all.

Voice chat doesn't use data, and they had better hope a limit of one hour a day of video is reasonable, when 10minutes a day is enough to wipe out the standard 2gb a month.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Caseman posted:

I stream pandora at work sometimes, do a lot of light browsing, read books, check social media. I use, on average, 1.5gb/month. I imagine that's their "average user" which is why they set the cap at 2 gigs. I'm not defending it, I think the entire idea of bandwidth caps is ridiculous, but I can kind of understand their thinking.

Right, but define "sometimes". Pandora isn't that heavy on usage - I think Pandora One (the paid Pandora) is 96kbps where the free is even lower? Regardless, it's not that high a bandwidth. There's a difference between that and, say, Netflix or streaming your 320kbps collection off of Google Music.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

sadus posted:

The truth of the matter is you don't live in the same reality as most other smartphone users (neither do I, for that matter).

We can toss out all the calculations and speculation we want, but unless "everyone else" is lying, not many people use more than a couple of Gb of data each month.

I don't see how people can ignore that.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

We can toss out all the calculations and speculation we want, but unless "everyone else" is lying, not many people use more than a couple of Gb of data each month.

Right now. That's what everyone keeps forgetting.

What is going to happen to average data usage when LTE becomes more prolific and Netflix (which IS being pushed hard by Verizon) is more utilized? Pandora might be a data-light use, but Netflix sure as hell isn't.

Do you trust the telcos to actually raise caps to meet demand as new technologies emerge? Because I don't trust the telcos to do a goddamn thing except line their own greedy pockets.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
And I'm sure that when it becomes a problem that the average person is going over the limit, the plans will change because it then will become a PR problem. It's kind of similar to how unlimited text plans largely came due to media coverage of people getting thousands of dollars in overages due to paying a quarter a text.

At the same time, the people using 10 gigs a month now will probably be doing 40-50 by that point, and those people still will be upset. I'm sorry, but you are the minority and are going to be ignored.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Caseman posted:

Agreed. Even at my heaviest I've never hit 2gb, I think. However, I usually have 4G off and use wifi at work and home. It may be different once I'm sitting at the airport for a few hours.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

HTC Thunderbolt

That is all from streaming (MLB at Bat, Amazon MP3, YouTube and other tube sites)

Edit: My wife for comparison, Droid X

JayKay fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jul 8, 2011

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

JayKay posted:

That is all from streaming (MLB at Bat, Amazon MP3, and now Google Music)

It's almost as if streaming services targeted for mobile devices are designed to sip bandwidth, rather than chug! :ohdear: edit - obviously you're personally going to be using a lot more by the end of the month, but 3-4gb after 12 days of high streaming isn't exactly blowing the doors off. I think you're a bit of an edge case. People like your wife are who this is aiming at.

I'm not philosophically opposed to bandwidth caps. I don't really like them, per se, and I think they should have added a lower tier (or just made the entire thing usage-based, $10/gb with discounts if you buy a big bundle in advance), but the hand-wringing by some people here is ridiculous.

vv Yes, $30/5GB would be much more reasonable.

kitten emergency fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 8, 2011

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

My problem with the pricing tiers is that a normal user is going to be easily clearing 2GB if they do any streaming. I'd have less qualms about it if it was $30/5GB instead.

My wife who does no streaming will easily end up in the 1GB-2GB range and all she does is business email, calendar, light surfing, and Facebook.

Fiannaiocht
Aug 21, 2008
Cool my mom used my upgrade to get an iPhone yesterday and now my unlimited data is 2gb. And what possible reason could Verizon have to need my meid and reactivate my phone when it was nothing at all to use my moms upgrade to get my own iPhone a couple of months ago.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WeaselWeaz posted:

Agreed. Even at my heaviest I've never hit 2gb, I think. However, I usually have 4G off and use wifi at work and home. It may be different once I'm sitting at the airport for a few hours.

I don't get this. I use 3G only on my Evo (stock Android still sucks for Sprint 4G), I'm usually on WiFi at home and still hit 2-3GB a month. I do stream a lot of RDio now, but only occasional Netflix. Very little tethering. I'm 6 days in to my current cycle and have already used half a gig.

I think the big thing that sucks about it is people are now moving towards movies (Netflix) and music (iTunes, RDio, Spotify, Google Music) in a cloud. I became a recent RDio convert (Spotify may change that) and my usage has spiked recently as a result, because the main place i use that is in my car driving, which is at least 1 hour a day right there and on occasion much more. Unfortunately, the result is going to be training regular people to "only watch Netflix when on WiFi," which unfortunately defeats the purpose of a smartphone in my opinion.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Whoops, I meant to say no video chat slider in that calculator, not voice chat.

Anyway, if most people don't currently use more than 2GB currently, that's all the more reason not to be over-charging people who do use proper amounts of bandwidth, they have the capacity to handle it. They've had no trouble making more than a billion a month in profit with unmetered plans up until now, price gouging customers is attempting to fix a financial problem that doesn't exist.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Fiannaiocht posted:

Cool my mom used my upgrade to get an iPhone yesterday and now my unlimited data is 2gb. And what possible reason could Verizon have to need my meid and reactivate my phone when it was nothing at all to use my moms upgrade to get my own iPhone a couple of months ago.

bet your mom got suckered in by a dipshit verizon employee

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

sadus posted:

Anyway, if most people don't currently use more than 2GB currently, that's all the more reason not to be over-charging people who do use proper amounts of bandwidth, they have the capacity to handle it. They've had no trouble making more than a billion a month in profit with unmetered plans up until now, price gouging customers is attempting to fix a financial problem that doesn't exist.

The lovely part is that they would have had a serious angle on AT&T. "We have the iPhone, AND we have unlimited data. Beat that, bitch".

It's like they decided long term contracting opportunity wasn't worth a quick cash grab. I know of two people personally who switched from AT&T on the 6th to get unlimited data. And the lines out the door at many major retailers tells you that it's worth it to the consumer too.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

yamdankee posted:

I recently moved from an apartment that had great signal to a house that has pretty poor signal. Before I start paying for two forms of Internet again (cable + 3G), is there a recommended signal booster device that I can buy? Googling comes up with a lot of results but I have no idea where to begin with this sort of thing.

Verizon actually sells a signal booster. It's made by Samsung and it's great. Actually, it's more of a signal "maker" than a booster. It hooks up to your computer's router and actually makes calls through that instead. I went from not being able to making a single call in my house to never having a dropped call ever.

Only thing that sucks about it is it doesn't do data at all, so while you'll get 5 bars, it will be CDMA only. Don't expect to get text messages in a timely fashion (and forget about MMS).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

sadus posted:

They don't necessarily have the capacity to handle it though, that's my point. 700MHz is great on building penetration, but Verizon splits it with AT&T and I think one other. Right now VZ is obviously handling it mostly ok, but long term would still be questionable.

• Locked thread