Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Potsticker posted:

My favorite "this loving game" moment was when I found out you could get (Moscow spoilers) Brayko to kill Surkov.

Wait, the gently caress, what, this loving game.

Add another thing to the list of stuff I want to try on my fourth playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Requesting that the thread title be changed to "Alpha Protocol: This loving Game!"

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Yeah, I got ladies man on my first playthrough as well, it seems pretty easy to catch onto what most people respond to into this game based on their personality and quick trial and error.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

the_american_dream posted:

SIE Answer aggresive to everything she says ever. I managed to get ladies man on my first playthrough :smug:

I managed to accidently get 3 of them (accidently apart from clicking the "Yes, let's gently caress" button, I mean), but there was like 3 total conversations with Madison and I guess I somehow missed her. Which is good because we can't have Mike Thorton, savior of the world, longing after a dead woman

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

THE PWNER posted:

I managed to accidently get 3 of them (accidently apart from clicking the "Yes, let's gently caress" button, I mean), but there was like 3 total conversations with Madison and I guess I somehow missed her. Which is good because we can't have Mike Thorton, savior of the world, longing after a dead woman

I think you just wake her up when you walk in on her asleep but I'm not entirely sure.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

One Sick Puppy posted:

Edit: is there any way to turn Parker to your side in the end and NOT have him die? I like Parker and seeing him stabbed in the neck kind of sucks

It is possible. To do it, I believe you can't tell Marburg about Parker's past. Also, don't tell Parker about Marburg nearly killing or actually killing his daughter depending on how Rome played out for you. You also need Parker to like you somewhat and contact him at the end of the game. Make sure you use logic during that conversation to explain how his plan is flawed

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Man, I'm at the end of Rome and trying to fight Marburg as stealth/martial arts is ridiculous. I'm just getting destroyed every single time. Doesn't anyone have advice? The fact he blocks constantly at the end of a combo and it only does a tiny bit of damage once his armour is off is making it near impossible to do proper damage to him

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

One Sick Puppy posted:

I think you just wake her up when you walk in on her asleep but I'm not entirely sure.

Yeah, but depending on your reputation you can get three different scenes. That doesn't happen unless you have high enough rep.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

One Sick Puppy posted:

I gotta say I've never laughed quite as much at most video games as I have with this one. Stephen Heck, Mike's comments when looking at his souvenirs, pretty much everything involving Brayko ("how many gay cheetahs had to die to make this jacket?"), and just how much of a snarky rear end in a top hat Mike is in general.

This game does have its glitches and quirks but it's so well written it's one of my favorites and I can't believe I got it for five bucks.

Edit: is there any way to turn Parker to your side in the end and NOT have him die? I like Parker and seeing him stabbed in the neck kind of sucks

Yes. (I apparently had a hell of a first playthrough). I dont remember how I did exactly though I did not know about the Madison connection, so I know that has nothing to do with it

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

Jose posted:

Man, I'm at the end of Rome and trying to fight Marburg as stealth/martial arts is ridiculous. I'm just getting destroyed every single time. Doesn't anyone have advice? The fact he blocks constantly at the end of a combo and it only does a tiny bit of damage once his armour is off is making it near impossible to do proper damage to him

You are using fury when you attack him right? You could also try chucking grenades and setting some traps. Soften him up with a grenade or a few shots from whatever weapons you're carrying then go in and melee his health down some. Use any epinephrine spikes that you're carrying.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Jose posted:

Rome You WILL NOT beat Marburg or the Taipei boss with just martial arts, or the Russian boss for that matter. You simply can not beat the game without a reliable fire arm

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Rome You WILL NOT beat Marburg or the Taipei boss with just martial arts, or the Russian boss for that matter. You simply can not beat the game without a reliable fire arm

This isn't true.

Martial arts have a number of buffs, but even without them, I had no trouble going through the games with just MA.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Potsticker posted:

My favorite "this loving game" moment was when I found out you could get (Moscow spoilers) Brayko to kill Surkov.

I can get this event without any bother but I have a feverish memory of seeing or reading about Brayko killing Championchik for me but I can't seem to trigger this. Any ideas on how if possible?

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Jose posted:

Lay a mine down near you, when he charges you it will strip his entire armor bar.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

I beat the everliving poo poo out of Rome boss with no problem. I beat him so hard that when I read his dossiar info that he was an exceptional martial artist I chuckled. The Russian got his drugs poisoned so he was easy to take down with fists. The Taipei boss, though, was a complete motherfucker, but I still managed to do it.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

CCKeane posted:

This isn't true.

Martial arts have a number of buffs, but even without them, I had no trouble going through the games with just MA.

I'm sure that was harder than my strategy for the last half of the game, which was "run around in circles waiting for the 6 shot thing to come off cooldown which literally 2 shots (or 12 shots, I guess) every boss if you line it up for a crit headshot"

joneswt
Feb 22, 2011

I've only beat through the game once and I had Marburg's respect up to +10, 100% dossier, and I chose "Deus Vult" at the conversation near the end. He just told Leland to go gently caress himself and walked out into the night. Is the outcome of the "suave" strategy you guys were talking about a few pages back different than this?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

joneswt posted:

I've only beat through the game once and I had Marburg's respect up to +10, 100% dossier, and I chose "Deus Vult" at the conversation near the end. He just told Leland to go gently caress himself and walked out into the night. Is the outcome of the "suave" strategy you guys were talking about a few pages back different than this?

No, Going Suave Makes him poo poo himself with anger in Rome, and means he will fight you to the death instead of running away at the end.

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
I bought this game at release, but this new thread got me to go another few rounds with it. Just finished a Professional Stealth+Pistols patriot who saved the world, and obviously now I have to do another playthrough. I'm thinking a gadget-focused run with a fun combination of Suave and Aggressive sociopathy. I'll probably level up Pistols, if only for the boss fights, but is going pure gadget a viable possibility or will I run out of money and gadgets halfway through every mission? If it is viable, does anyone have any advice/favourite strategies?

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Green Bean posted:

I bought this game at release, but this new thread got me to go another few rounds with it. Just finished a Professional Stealth+Pistols patriot who saved the world, and obviously now I have to do another playthrough. I'm thinking a gadget-focused run with a fun combination of Suave and Aggressive sociopathy. I'll probably level up Pistols, if only for the boss fights, but is going pure gadget a viable possibility or will I run out of money and gadgets halfway through every mission? If it is viable, does anyone have any advice/favourite strategies?

Gadgeteer is one of the most fun builds you can do. You get perks for carrying extra gadgets when you use a particular gadget enough times and if you choose to blackmail Halbech at every opportunity you should be okay for cash. Combine with a suitably leveled weapon for emergencies or even martial arts and you can really go to town on enemies. Incendiary bombs are probably the best gadget weapon as they have a wide radius, last a long time and the AI is dumb enough to run into the fire.
You'll still probably have most of your kills/takedowns done with stealth though.

Hank Morgan fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 8, 2011

The Viper
Oct 4, 2009
Alpha Protocol : This loving Game.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

You can definitely bring down the Rome boss with martial arts. It's more challenging 'cause you don't have an instant MAKE IT DEAD button, but it's totally possible.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

THE PWNER posted:

I'm sure that was harder than my strategy for the last half of the game, which was "run around in circles waiting for the 6 shot thing to come off cooldown which literally 2 shots (or 12 shots, I guess) every boss if you line it up for a crit headshot"

Almost certainly, but I still took everybody down on the first or second try.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Question about the end of Moscow What exactly do you have to do to call in Brayko to deal with Surkov? I have managed to do this before, but I forgot what exactly was involved. I know you can't accept Surkov's deal when you meet him in that last mission. Do you need to avoid taking his cash? Do you have to have a positive rep with Brayko? I think I managed to get that before, but this time I can't seem to find the right options to increase his reputation after the boss fight. I tried it once already and had a neutral rep with Brayko, but I never got the option to sic him on Surkov.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

CCKeane posted:

This isn't true.

Even on recruit/hard, popping epinephrine spikes + fury equals your opponent in a world of hurt, even Rome Boss can't fight sensibly against that poo poo.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Torsade de Pointes posted:

Question about the end of Moscow What exactly do you have to do to call in Brayko to deal with Surkov? I have managed to do this before, but I forgot what exactly was involved. I know you can't accept Surkov's deal when you meet him in that last mission. Do you need to avoid taking his cash? Do you have to have a positive rep with Brayko? I think I managed to get that before, but this time I can't seem to find the right options to increase his reputation after the boss fight. I tried it once already and had a neutral rep with Brayko, but I never got the option to sic him on Surkov.

This is the only unique event I haven't gotten, but I think I know how to set it off. Get Surkov pissed at you before encountering him for the final time (-3 Rep or lower). This is easy to do if you don't endear yourself to him at the embassy, stick to Suave during your second meeting, and reject his proposal to let Brayko take the fall for the weapons deals. He'll sic Championchik on you automatically then.

As for Brayko, you can't gain positive Rep with him, period. But if you want to play it safe, he does seem cool with Suave responses.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

ShineDog posted:

No, Going Suave Makes him poo poo himself with anger in Rome, and means he will fight you to the death instead of running away at the end.

Do you need to go suave in every conversation with Marburg or just the last one in the Museum for him to fight to the death? Looks like I'll be replaying that level tonight...

I love this thread. On each page there are maybe 10 things that I never encountered in my games.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

One Sick Puppy posted:

Yes; I've found at least two ways if you can convince Marburg to abandon Leland, or goad him into fighting you to the death in Rome and then kill him, he's not around to kill Parker.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Rabbit Hill posted:

Do you need to go suave in every conversation with Marburg or just the last one in the Museum for him to fight to the death? Looks like I'll be replaying that level tonight...

I love this thread. On each page there are maybe 10 things that I never encountered in my games.

All of them, and not just the ones with him. You need to have more suave responses overall (get the suave perk in the greybox) otherwise he knows you're just trying to piss him off.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

This is the only unique event I haven't gotten, but I think I know how to set it off. Get Surkov pissed at you before encountering him for the final time (-3 Rep or lower). This is easy to do if you don't endear yourself to him at the embassy, stick to Suave during your second meeting, and reject his proposal to let Brayko take the fall for the weapons deals. He'll sic Championchik on you automatically then.

As for Brayko, you can't gain positive Rep with him, period. But if you want to play it safe, he does seem cool with Suave responses.

Ok, I just made a dumb mistake. I thought the call in Brayko option was seperate from the execute choice. I did spare him and not take the cash. I'm gonna see if taking the cash still lets you do it. I'm not sure about the rep with Surkov. I had him at 0 and was able to do it. I got Bryako up to +1 after letting him execute Surkov. I would swear that I was able to get him like +2 or +3 in one run. Maybe it depends on if you're stealthy during the mission and what kind of reputation Mike has? I still haven't figured out how to get Brayko to kill Championchik for you.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, going to Rome first can make it a lot easier. You can enough reputation as a dick to really get to Marburg, but if you mix things up outside of it other NPCs won't condemn you in the same way.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Hank Morgan posted:

I can get this event without any bother but I have a feverish memory of seeing or reading about Brayko killing Championchik for me but I can't seem to trigger this. Any ideas on how if possible?

I just realized I never fought Championchik at all, which I just knew I would have to after seeing him in that one cutscene

I wonder why

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 8, 2011

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Tiler Kiwi and others disclaiming my post posted:

I beat the everliving poo poo out of Rome boss with no problem. I beat him so hard that when I read his dossiar info that he was an exceptional martial artist I chuckled. The Russian got his drugs poisoned so he was easy to take down with fists. The Taipei boss, though, was a complete motherfucker, but I still managed to do it.

Well gently caress me then :shobon:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I just realized I never fought Championchik at all, which I just knew I would have to after seeing him in Surkov's office that one cutscene.

I wonder why

You never went after Surkov. Perhaps you were a little too hasty in taking out Brayko?

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 8, 2011

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

I just realized I never fought Championchik at all, which I just knew I would have to after seeing him in Surkov's office that one cutscene.

I wonder why

You need to do two things there. You must let Brayko live long enough to figure out Surkov was lying to you and he's the one that's been dealing with Halbech all along. This lets you do the final Moscow mission. In that mission, you will confront Surkov and you can't agree to his deal if he likes you. He probably won't offer you the deal if he doesn't like you. Then, you get to fight Championchik.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Torsade de Pointes posted:

Ok, I just made a dumb mistake. I thought the call in Brayko option was seperate from the execute choice. I did spare him and not take the cash. I'm gonna see if taking the cash still lets you do it. I'm not sure about the rep with Surkov. I had him at 0 and was able to do it. I got Bryako up to +1 after letting him execute Surkov. I would swear that I was able to get him like +2 or +3 in one run. Maybe it depends on if you're stealthy during the mission and what kind of reputation Mike has? I still haven't figured out how to get Brayko to kill Championchik for you.

None of your approaches really change Brayko's attitude during the mission where you encounter him. If you side with G22, he gets extremely pissed off and asks where the gently caress his guards went. If you side with VCI, he gets extremely pissed off at you driving an APC through his door. If you try to be Professional, he gets extremely pissed off at your boy-scout attitude. If you Intimidate him, he gets extremely pissed off at you thinking that would impress him.

At least if you're Suave he loosens up a little, even if you shoot him in the head.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Crappy Jack posted:

You never went after Surkov. Perhaps you were a little too hasty in taking out Brayko?

Probably should spoil that :/

And yea probably so Up until that point (I did Russia last) I arrested the Arms dealer, let Shaheed go til later, didnt fight Marburg to the death, and let Omen Deng go so I was trigger happy to execute a boss and Brayko was by far the baddest one anyway (if you dont count terrorism I guess)

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Probably should spoil that :/

And yea probably so Up until that point (I did Russia last) I arrested the Arms dealer, let Shaheed go til later, didnt fight Marburg to the death, and let Omen Deng go so I was trigger happy to execute a boss and Brayko was by far the baddest one anyway (if you dont count terrorism I guess)

Brayko is a loving dick, and deserves literally any asskicking he can get. But he's small fry. Utter reprehensible small fry, but small fry.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Exercu posted:

Brayko is a loving dick, and deserves literally any asskicking he can get. But he's small fry. Utter reprehensible small fry, but small fry.

No way, Brayko is the coolest dude ever. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Technique posted:

No way, Brayko is the coolest dude ever. :colbert:

Prostituting your sisters: totally cool.

• Locked thread