Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

frozenphil posted:

How much does it cost again?
The new 5.0 is faster than the ZR1 if you add a blower and drag radials to it. :can:

I brought a 42" plasma and a gas grill home in my '03 Mustang, so I'm not sure what the argument is here.

Where, on the roof? It's not like I bought the car for running errands anyway, that's what the fiance's car is for.

killbot posted:

I think you missed my point. Some Mustang owners/fans (like yourself apparently) have a one-dimensional view on judging cars, ie. 0-60 times, Nurburgring, etc. Others would like to have a car that's easy to live with AND has good performance. I fall in the latter camp, and I believe that more complex and advanced tech (including the suspension) will make the car better to own and use every day.

But if you're driving Mustangs against ZR1s all day then yeah, the current one is good enough.

Very good point. 99% of Mustang owners are going to be daily drivers not track beasts. I would love a little bit better suspension in the Mustang. The IRS is very good but it's still not perfect. It's probably as good as what's in the Camaro but it's definitely not as good as what BMW is throwing out there. The technology has been around for long enough that it's time to adapt or die for the Mustang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

mungtor posted:

What I think you're not getting is that the people currently buying Mustangs are buying them specifically because it falls into the one-dimension that they want. They are interested (for better or worse) in 1/4 mile and 0-60 times and there is nothing else that is as good at those things at the price.

I think Phil's view is that if you make the Mustang a "better" car with an IRS, etc, etc, it might have a broader journalist appeal but will also be competing against a much broader market segment with less product differentiation.

This is maybe overthinking it. The Mustang is a lot of things to a lot of people. It has to give off the image of a Mustang more than it needs to live up to any particular task. Granted, Ford should do their homework and not have an IRS that sucks for drag racing like the Cobra one did, but I don't think that image evaporates just because of IRS. It wouldn't be an abandonment of the customer base like the Probe was.

kronix posted:

Where, on the roof? It's not like I bought the car for running errands anyway, that's what the fiance's car is for.
A lot of people do use the Mustang just for driving around, though. I don't think the Mustang makes that many concessions against daily use.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

mungtor posted:

What I think you're not getting is that the people currently buying Mustangs are buying them specifically because it falls into the one-dimension that they want. They are interested (for better or worse) in 1/4 mile and 0-60 times and there is nothing else that is as good at those things at the price.

I think Phil's view is that if you make the Mustang a "better" car with an IRS, etc, etc, it might have a broader journalist appeal but will also be competing against a much broader market segment with less product differentiation. Outside of AI, not many people are going to cross-shop a Mustang and a BMW, nor will people shopping for an Accord suddenly consider it.

Once you remove it from it's current niche there really isn't anything that makes it significantly more desirable than a lot of other choices. Once it goes IRS I'll be more likely to look at one, but that's probably because I'll have close to 150k on the GTO by then.
Exactly.

kronix posted:

Very good point. 99% of Mustang owners are going to be daily drivers not track beasts. I would love a little bit better suspension in the Mustang. The IRS is very good but it's still not perfect. It's probably as good as what's in the Camaro but it's definitely not as good as what BMW is throwing out there. The technology has been around for long enough that it's time to adapt or die for the Mustang.
You know the rear seats fold almost flat, right?
I guess I don't see what's so wrong with a rear suspension that has proven itself for durability, performance, reliability, and that costs less. I also seriously doubt the lack of IRS is all of the sudden going to mean the Mustang won't sell. The only people who give a poo poo about the lack of an IRS in the Mustang are journalists, people who would never buy a Mustang anyway, and British fops with terrible hair.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
Well, for countries that haven't had 50 years of Mustangs going down their roads, their knowledge of the car comes from those same journalists, including the one with bad hair and teeth. And when they write in their magazines or say on their tv shows (dubbed or subbed in the nation's language) that "the Mustang has a suspension from Noah's Ark" then they're going to take that at face value and buy something else. It's a huge perception thing, one that Ford will have to overcome if they want a successful global Mustang.

They sell Mustangs here in Korea, but all I see are Genesis coupes (of course), 370Z's, and M3's and 335i's. I saw an M-coupe the other day in orange. Nobody wants a Mustang, because they read about its suspension in a magazine. And none of these cars are exactly cheap here either.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

frozenphil posted:

Exactly.

You know the rear seats fold almost flat, right?
I guess I don't see what's so wrong with a rear suspension that has proven itself for durability, performance, reliability, and that costs less. I also seriously doubt the lack of IRS is all of the sudden going to mean the Mustang won't sell. The only people who give a poo poo about the lack of an IRS in the Mustang are journalists, people who would never buy a Mustang anyway, and British fops with terrible hair.

Forget the global market, Europeans aren't rushing out to buy Mustangs no matter what's in the rear. The fact is the Camaro has an IRS and for the most part sells better even though Ford right even though the Mustang has for the most part outsold since the beginning of time.

The vast majority of budget sports car buyers don't care about pushrods or oxcart suspensions or even really gas millage within a certain range. They walk into a dealership looking for a "cool" car and drive it around. If it's fast and "rides well" they're happy. A real IRS will help the "rides well" factor.

That said the Camaro is a loving piece of poo poo. How does anyone drive that coffin?

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

frozenphil posted:

How much does it cost again?
The new 5.0 is faster than the ZR1 if you add a blower and drag radials to it. :can:

Yea, I didnt mean to compare it to the ZR1 since they have very different purposes, just that you can engineer an IRS that will do 8s/9s and handle well, albeit not as cheaply as a SRA.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

shodanjr_gr posted:

Seriously? I moved across the US in my V6 and practically fit my entire dorm room in it...

Seriously, list of things I crammed in a 2003 Mustang all at once:

2 4' tall home theater tower speakers
1 Amplifier for those speakers
1 Logitech Z5500 sound system
2 19" CRT monitors
1 Guitar
1 Guitar Amp
1 Computer
1 Laptop
2 Xbox 360's, in box (I transport them in the boxes for some reason)
4 years worth of engineering textbooks
30+ novels
3 1:8 scale Lego Ferraris
80+ DVD's and Games
~5 die cast cars (all Mustangs)
1 box full of spare cables and adapters
2 (small) toolboxes
All of my bathroom necessities
My entire wardrobe

I did have to make a second trip for the bed, desk, bookshelves, and recliner.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

IOwnCalculus posted:

Hey, he included the 302, 4.6, and Chrysler 318 to try and show how 'comparable' the 4.0 was back then. Not every engine in 1997 was an anemic turd.

I included small v8's just to give some perspective for what slightly bigger engines got you in 1997 compared to the v6s. No poo poo an LS1/LT1 is better, that's an entirely different league of engine. And the 255hp vortec really isn't that impressive considering it has a 1.7L advantage and only makes an extra 45hp.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

Killbot posted:

Well, for countries that haven't had 50 years of Mustangs going down their roads, their knowledge of the car comes from those same journalists, including the one with bad hair and teeth. And when they write in their magazines or say on their tv shows (dubbed or subbed in the nation's language) that "the Mustang has a suspension from Noah's Ark" then they're going to take that at face value and buy something else. It's a huge perception thing, one that Ford will have to overcome if they want a successful global Mustang.

They sell Mustangs here in Korea, but all I see are Genesis coupes (of course), 370Z's, and M3's and 335i's. I saw an M-coupe the other day in orange. Nobody wants a Mustang, because they read about its suspension in a magazine. And none of these cars are exactly cheap here either.

The solid axle is from the dawn of time. This is probably the best implementation of it ever. Like Enzo Ferrari was rumored to say about the Porsche 911 "It's a bad idea, brilliantly executed".

I'd like to see the relative prices of those cars, but I think that no matter what the price or the capabilities of the Mustang you are not going to sway anybody in Korea who was buying a BMW (social status) or the Genesis coupe (buy domestic). You might get some sales from the 370Z, but the numbers won't be high enough to offset lost sales in the US where the perception is that an IRS is expensive, weak and unreliable.

vvvvvvvv -- If I recall, that's mostly because the design was seriously compromised by the insistence that the entire IRS needed to bolt up to the same mounting points as the solid axle offered in all the other models. I'm sure that if they could design the IRS across the board they could do a much better job.

mungtor fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 8, 2011

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Didn't the '03-04 SVT Cobra have a very problematic IRS? I'm wondering if Ford trying to put IRS on the Mustang again is a bad idea...

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Geoj posted:

Didn't the '03-04 SVT Cobra have a very problematic IRS? I'm wondering if Ford trying to put IRS on the Mustang again is a bad idea...
If Ford US actually paid attention to their Australian arm, they'd find a perfectly good IRS for rear wheel drive application here. And it is used in drag racing as well.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

mungtor posted:

The solid axle is from the dawn of time. This is probably the best implementation of it ever. Like Enzo Ferrari was rumored to say about the Porsche 911 "It's a bad idea, brilliantly executed".

I'd like to see the relative prices of those cars, but I think that no matter what the price or the capabilities of the Mustang you are not going to sway anybody in Korea who was buying a BMW (social status) or the Genesis coupe (buy domestic). You might get some sales from the 370Z, but the numbers won't be high enough to offset lost sales in the US where the perception is that an IRS is expensive, weak and unreliable.

No argument on the first point. A set of good (not stock) dampers does wonders for the current Mustang's suspension. But that's not from the factory, and people who are used to cars that ride better from the factory are disappointed by the Mustang's stock pogo-stick damping. The Boss is excluded since it rides on (I think) Tokico Illuminas, which are better than the stock ones.

Genesis pricing here is fairly equivalent to US pricing. Still, most Koreans I know would rather buy something foreign than domestic. US car companies could have made it big here while Hyundai was still finding its footing. It's too late now that Hyundai and Kia are pumping out amazing cars, so the US automakers can only play catch-up, at a cost of course. It's either that, or fall further behind, and if that happens then Ford will really start losing money.

And that's just Korea, a small market compared to Europe, which is a lot bigger fish. Just convince Clarkson that it's a great car and it will probably sell. As for China, I don't have enough knowledge of the Chinese car market to comment.

The point about the Australian cars is a good one. IRS doesn't automatically mean drag race failure. Maybe when you're boosting to insane hp, but by then you'd probably need to have a lot more done to the car than switching out the rear.

Killbot fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 9, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Killbot posted:

As for China, I don't have enough knowledge of the Chinese car market to comment.

The Mustang doesn't really have any special appeal to sell to there. The whole muscle/pony car thing is mostly lost on Chinese car enthusiasts.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass
I just bought this bad boy today. I fell in love with the red/kona blue GT500 colour scheme a year ago and finally picked one up today. Since I sold my Z06 last month I've been debating between a CTSV and a GT500 as I wanted a supercharged V8 hotrod. The ford employee pricing helped make that decision alot easier as well.

I had looked at the 5.0's but I love the drool factor of the GT500, plus I prefer the exhaust note of the 5.4L over the 5.0L. I also didn't want to excessively mod this car and just planned to leave it stock with the exception of a catback or longtube headers. My insurance quote for the GT500 was also alot cheaper than a 5.0L or my Vette.

Specs:
2012 GT 500
SVT Performance Package
Recaro Racing Seats (EXTREMELY COMFORTABLE)
Electronic Package with Nav/Sync

Excuse the iPhone pictures, I didn't have my camera with me as it was a unscheduled stop at the dealership that resulted in me leaving with this car.

OrganizedEntropy fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 10, 2011

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Wow, I think that's the first time I've ever seen a color combo I actually like with the skinny stripes.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Q_res posted:

Wow, I think that's the first time I've ever seen a color combo I actually like with the skinny stripes.

Exactly my thoughts. My alternative choices were plain jane red, or sterling grey with red stripes (which was discontinued). I was never a fan of the white stripe package, especially since you end up with white stripes on the seats.

I saw this exact car at a dealership a year ago and had fallen in love, but didn't have room in my garage due to my vette. Luckily that GT500 sold before I could get myself in trouble.

OrganizedEntropy fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 10, 2011

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

OrganizedEntropy posted:

My insurance quote for the GT500 was also alot cheaper than a 5.0L...

Uh.... why?

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

ApathyGifted posted:

Uh.... why?

Lower claims against the GT500 is what they told me. Higher ownership numbers of the GT result in a higher amount of claims. Hell, the insurance on the GT500 is cheaper than on my truck, a 2009 Silverado 4x4.

I'm a diehard GM guy but this GT500 was the first car to seriously make me question that allegiance.

OrganizedEntropy fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 10, 2011

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

OrganizedEntropy posted:

Lower claims against the GT500 is what they told me. Higher ownership numbers of the GT result in a higher amount of claims. Hell, the insurance on the GT500 is cheaper than on my truck, a 2009 Silverado 4x4.

I'm a diehard GM guy but this GT500 was the first car to seriously make me question that allegiance.

Not to mention the average GT500 driver is 52 years old and the average GT owner has been 12 for some time.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

OrganizedEntropy posted:

I just bought this bad boy today

UNF!
So jealous right now. You really can't go wrong with the GT500. Whatever you do, don't go to this link right here if you plan on sticking to those modding plans. I wouldn't want you to see that 675rwhp is $4k away. ;)

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

frozenphil posted:

UNF!
So jealous right now. You really can't go wrong with the GT500. Whatever you do, don't go to this link right here if you plan on sticking to those modding plans. I wouldn't want you to see that 675rwhp is $4k away. ;)

You are such a bastard, frozenphil.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

frozenphil posted:

UNF!

That was the problem I got into with my Z06! I bought it 4 years back, the modding bug started and I ended up with a track car that I road raced the piss out of. Our race track getting shut down took care of that though.

This time around I was looking for something just for cruising to work and back, road trips, burning tires off, etc. I was cross shopping this against the CTSV as it was the only comparable GM that appealed to me (mainly the supercharged V8) but the Cadillac doesn't have the attitude of the Mustang. Driving it felt sterile in comparison. It took me one test drive to fall in love with the Mustang, I couldn't peel the grin off my face.

And I was definitely not impressed with the Camaro....waiting for the ZL1 is one thing, but I felt that the ergonomics of the interior and the visibility were a let down. It reminded me of the last time I got stuck with a Hummer H3 rental on a business trip.

OrganizedEntropy fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 10, 2011

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

http://youtu.be/Y4cskOQHZ_0

quote:

JPC Racing in house built Single Turbo System for the 2011 up Mustang GT 5.0. All Stainless piping, Billet Precision 76mm Ball Bearing Turbo. This vehicle is stock to the mufflers other than our turbo system. 615rwhp on 6psi of boost and 93octane. Car has ran a best of a 10.94 @ 131mph on drag radial tires!

The tuner kit price will be 6999.95 (as of now we are not offering this kit with a smaller turbo but it will be available in the future).
From a couple different places; emphasis mine.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

OrganizedEntropy posted:

Recaro Racing Seats (EXTREMELY COMFORTABLE)

Great looking car! One thing that pisses me off about the GT is it doesn't have performance oriented seats, or even the option unless you go for the Boss or Cobra.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Congrats on the GT500! One of these days I'll get one. one day... in colors that don't make my eyes bleed. Maybe it's just the lighting/not so good camera?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Devyl posted:

in colors that don't make my eyes bleed. Maybe it's just the lighting/not so good camera?

I'm not gonna knock the choice, but I probably wouldn't get a car in red and blue.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

oRenj9 posted:

Great looking car! One thing that pisses me off about the GT is it doesn't have performance oriented seats, or even the option unless you go for the Boss or Cobra.

Are you serious? Yeah, they're not Recaros and if you want a 4 point they're not gonna work but they hold you in pretty well and they're super comfortable.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

kronix posted:

Are you serious? Yeah, they're not Recaros and if you want a 4 point they're not gonna work but they hold you in pretty well and they're super comfortable.

It's not a factory option, but at the very least the dealerships around where I live will put in seats for you on delivery.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

kimbo305 posted:

I'm not gonna knock the choice, but I probably wouldn't get a car in red and blue.

Yeah, it's going to be a VERY unique colour combo! The pictures were with a iPhone 4 with bad lighting, but in person it's a real love/hate combo. I found the other colour & stripe combinations abit boring in comparison. Heck, my dealership had a silver/red BOSS 302 Laguna Seca and this GT500 was catching more attention in the parking lot.

The worst part is that my uncle has a early 60's Jaguar race car in the EXACTLY same blue/red colour & stripe combination, so we're going to have some colour coordination in the parking lot at work now. :gay:

Although I was also drooling over the Grabber Blue/Red Stripe combo at the car shows when the 2010 GT500's came out so I'm probably just blind or retarded.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

That is one awesome GT500. I wonder if those factory Recaros can be installed into previous S197 Mustangs (with the airbag and all.)

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

OrganizedEntropy posted:

Yeah, it's going to be a VERY unique colour combo! The pictures were with a iPhone 4 with bad lighting, but in person it's a real love/hate combo. I found the other colour & stripe combinations abit boring in comparison. Heck, my dealership had a silver/red BOSS 302 Laguna Seca and this GT500 was catching more attention in the parking lot.

The worst part is that my uncle has a early 60's Jaguar race car in the EXACTLY same blue/red colour & stripe combination, so we're going to have some colour coordination in the parking lot at work now. :gay:

Although I was also drooling over the Grabber Blue/Red Stripe combo at the car shows when the 2010 GT500's came out so I'm probably just blind or retarded.

I have to say my favorite is the black with grey stripe. There's one that parks at a construction site near my job and it's stupid badass. Then again I like something understated which doesn't exactly jive with what the general GT500 owner is going for.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Sorry, but the correct answer to, "most badass GT500 color combo" goes directly to flat black on black.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

kronix posted:

I have to say my favorite is the black with grey stripe. There's one that parks at a construction site near my job and it's stupid badass. Then again I like something understated which doesn't exactly jive with what the general GT500 owner is going for.

The other problem is that the SVT Performance Package stripes restrict you to loud combinations. If you want a low key GT500, the base car allows you alot more freedom with the stripe combinations. On the SVTPP cars, the stripes are automatically high contrast as they are either white or red.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

frozenphil posted:

Sorry, but the correct answer to, "most badass GT500 color combo" goes directly to flat black on black.

This is exactly what I've seen near my work, I didn't know it was flat black it looked sorta gray.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I don't really want to like flat-black schemes on most cars, but on this Mustang GT it looks like Mad Max levels of badass to me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1rc3WZZsrU&feature=related

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Number_6 posted:

I don't really want to like flat-black schemes on most cars, but on this Mustang GT it looks like Mad Max levels of badass to me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1rc3WZZsrU&feature=related

I'm kinda skeptical about that "won't harm the paint below" claim.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

VideoTapir posted:

I'm kinda skeptical about that "won't harm the paint below" claim.

They've been vinyl wrapping poo poo for a long time. It actually protects the paint, not harm it.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Lowclock posted:

They've been vinyl wrapping poo poo for a long time. It actually protects the paint, not harm it.

I'm sure it does. I'm thinking more about the removal process and residues. Which, technically isn't harming the paint no matter how bad it is, but kind of renders the distinction moot.

Also, I've spent quite a bit of time undoing old book repairs, many of which were done with materials people thought would last without doing any harm. Time makes fools of a lot of people when it comes to this kind of thing.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

VideoTapir posted:

I'm sure it does. I'm thinking more about the removal process and residues. Which, technically isn't harming the paint no matter how bad it is, but kind of renders the distinction moot.

Also, I've spent quite a bit of time undoing old book repairs, many of which were done with materials people thought would last without doing any harm. Time makes fools of a lot of people when it comes to this kind of thing.

Do you really think people would still be wrapping million+ dollar cars and ridiculously expensive boats with vinyl if it was going to gently caress up the paint underneath? This isn't some brand new thing they're trying out, it's not duct tape or stickers, it's stuff designed specifically for what it's being used for, and has been shown to work well and not damage poo poo like you're thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

VideoTapir posted:

You realize 3m clear bras are the same technology right? thats basically a dealer option now...