Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

Prostituting your sisters: totally cool.

Well, you know what they say about omelettes and eggs. v:v:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, okay, he's a sociopath who literally whored out his own family and has probably gutted more people than Jack the Ripper.

But he has a DISCO BALL. IN HIS HOUSE.

A DISCO BALL.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I unironically want Brayko's jacket IRL. Do those exist. Where can i buy one. :ohdear:

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Technique posted:

I unironically want Brayko's jacket IRL. Do those exist. Where can i buy one. :ohdear:

You need to find an unspecified number of gay cheetahs first.

The Viper
Oct 4, 2009
Man, I'm really getting into this game. Just had my first meeting with Marburg. That poo poo was INTENSE. The conversation went everywhere, but in a really believable way. Even Mass Effect suffered from some of the 'Dialogue recorded on different days' problem but poo poo, I cant see any of that here.

Also, it's got a Pope Urban II reference in it. Hard. loving. Core.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
This is a really broad question, but: should I be sticking almost exclusively to one attitude/posture throughout the conversations? I keep catching myself playing to different people's personalities, so my responses have been really varied and I haven't necessarily stuck to one "character." Am I going to run into any downsides or upsides to this?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RichterIX posted:

This is a really broad question, but: should I be sticking almost exclusively to one attitude/posture throughout the conversations? I keep catching myself playing to different people's personalities, so my responses have been really varied and I haven't necessarily stuck to one "character." Am I going to run into any downsides or upsides to this?

Every approach, even an approach that's never one specific approach, gets you different perks and reactions. You won't be screwing yourself by going all over the place.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

RichterIX posted:

No.

There is no need to min/max anything. The game won't punish you.

Just do what feels right, and it'll work out.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
You actually get a perk for trying out all three approaches in the same conversation.

Also, remember, at the start of the game your character is established as someone good at verbal manipulation, so don't worry about roleplaying an inconsistent character, your responses can be as sincere as you want them to be.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

CCKeane posted:

There is no need to min/max anything. The game won't punish you.

Yeah this isn't Mass Effect :p

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yup. Characters will acknowledge drat near every combination of dialogue options possible - some good, some bad, all perfectly in character and none of them will punish you OOCly.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think you need to pretty much max out smug suave to get Marburg to hate you in Rome, though.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
After being misled by the hype in the Saints Row 2 thread, I was weary about ignoring the negative reviews and checking out Alpha Protocol. But god drat you guys were right. The AI is mediocre ("hey, 3 of my buddies are lying dead at the bottom of this ladder? I should climb up it and see what happens") but the game is so well designed, it's a masterpiece in its own way. And I'm still early in my first playthrough, so I haven't even had any "this loving game" moments yet.

If you're reading this post and you're on the fence about buying Alpha Protocol, do it. You won't regret it.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

The Viper posted:

The conversation went everywhere, but in a really believable way.

Didnt even think about this but its completely true. It really is an injustice that we wont see a sequel

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.

diegetic poster posted:

After being misled by the hype in the Saints Row 2 thread, I was weary about ignoring the negative reviews and checking out Alpha Protocol. But god drat you guys were right. The AI is mediocre ("hey, 3 of my buddies are lying dead at the bottom of this ladder? I should climb up it and see what happens") but the game is so well designed, it's a masterpiece in its own way. And I'm still early in my first playthrough, so I haven't even had any "this loving game" moments yet.

If you're reading this post and you're on the fence about buying Alpha Protocol, do it. You won't regret it.

The "This loving Game" moments all happen in subsequent playthroughs. On your first playthrough, all the dialog feels natural and organic, but for all you know, it's the same exact dialog no matter what you do. On later playthroughs you realize how much variation there actually is in what you hear and what you can experience.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Mistikman posted:

The "This loving Game" moments all happen in subsequent playthroughs. On your first playthrough, all the dialog feels natural and organic, but for all you know, it's the same exact dialog no matter what you do. On later playthroughs you realize how much variation there actually is in what you hear and what you can experience.

Exactly. Even if it's not huge stuff, you'll notice little variations that stand out. Even that little plane ride after Saudi with Scarlet can have some big changes depending on how you act around her. Nothing huge, but even the difference between her cracking a joke on one playthrough and being all business in the next one on the same line is proof of how much time and effort went into the conversations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The Viper posted:

Man, I'm really getting into this game. Just had my first meeting with Marburg. That poo poo was INTENSE. The conversation went everywhere, but in a really believable way. Even Mass Effect suffered from some of the 'Dialogue recorded on different days' problem but poo poo, I cant see any of that here.

Also, it's got a Pope Urban II reference in it. Hard. loving. Core.

There are a few minor points of dialogue where someone's tone/equalization will change from one statement to the next, usually in video conferences where they do a basic spiel, react to something you've done, then continue their spiel, but I've only noticed that with Mina and Westridge.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Holy Calamity! posted:

"6 out of 10" - 'gaming journalism' community

seriously this loving game is the best. I want another so bad!

Yeah, apart from the "game" part that is mostly really mediocre stealth and downright poor gunplay.

The ideas, script and character gallery are all really cool, though. Shame about the gameplay bit.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Yeah, apart from the "game" part that is mostly really mediocre stealth and downright poor gunplay.

The ideas, script and character gallery are all really cool, though. Shame about the gameplay bit.

You mean poor gunplay like Mass Effect 1, a game that was also rightly criticised thoroughly for its diceroll gunplay?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I liked the stealth because at the end you get to run around invisible punching people in the throat.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I like the gunplay, it is very RPG-y in making stats matter. Sure, it's not me2 or whatever where you can just fire your guns perfectly from the start, but it wasn't trying to be.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Hypocrisy posted:

I liked the stealth because at the end you get to run around invisible punching people in the throat.

I have never done a maxed out stealth run. I really should. Instead I usually prefer to hulk the gently caress out and punch everybody into the sun.

The Viper
Oct 4, 2009
Mina: Hey, quick question, did you ever get a password to the (x) server?

Thornton: (Snarky) Sure did! Username:MThornton Password:M1lfLuvvR

This loving game.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

The Viper posted:

This loving game.

Do you happen to be Sean Darcy?

V Even better. She sends you a mail with some money in return for a promise that you never make such a crappy joke again.

Exercu fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 8, 2011

Happydogska
Jan 26, 2003
It always smells like fish.

The Viper posted:

This loving game.
Does that actually work? As in, not the password, but does she actually try it and send a nasty email back to you?

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

The Viper posted:

This loving game.

Oh yeah, this made me laugh pretty hard too. They have a few "realistic" things like this in the game that don't make the game feel like it takes itself too seriously. A lot of the characters are actually believable, I almost think the person writing most of the dialogue was roleplaying as these characters when they did it, or multiple people were giving realistic input.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

The Viper posted:

This loving game.

I really wish this was referenced if you rescue Mina having just hosed SIE.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Am I the only one who didnt think SIE looked any older than the other female characters?

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
My favorite email of them all is the sarcastic Time-cube rant you can send to Heck. I've been looking for a screenshot of it, but I haven't had any luck. I'll have to remember to get one the next time I play.

Best part is it actually gets you +2 rep with him.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

the_american_dream posted:

Am I the only one who didnt think SIE looked any older than the other female characters?

I didn't think SIE looked older than anybody either.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009
Welp, I just completed my latest playthrough, and I finally managed to (endgame spoilers ahead) get Marburg to kill Parker for cutting him loose in his Deus Vult days (thanks Oxxidation!) and get Scarlet to shoot me while confronting Leland.

Now all I need to do is (Moscow spoiler) figure out the trigger that lets you get Brayko to kill Championchik and I can die a happy man.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Lynx posted:

Now all I need to do is (Moscow spoiler) figure out the trigger that lets you get Brayko to kill Championchik and I can die a happy man.

How to do it: Be a total rear end to Surkov. Make him hate you. Then, spare Brayko and figure out through his coversation that Surkov was Halbech's contact in Russia. When you confront Surkov, before you normally fight Championchik, one of your conversation options at the bottom will be Brayko. Choose that. Enjoy.

"This Mike here's a big talker. He talk about this, I talk about that. We talk about you, old man!"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Potsticker posted:

How to do it: Be a total rear end to Surkov. Make him hate you. Then, spare Brayko and figure out through his coversation that Surkov was Halbech's contact in Russia. When you confront Surkov, before you normally fight Championchik, one of your conversation options at the bottom will be Brayko. Choose that. Enjoy.

"This Mike here's a big talker. He talk about this, I talk about that. We talk about you, old man!"

"Your friend is busy winning gold medal in dying."

Bloomington
Apr 20, 2010

The Viper posted:

This loving game.
My favorite email reply is the one where you tell Steven to please shut the gently caress up, and sign off politely. Simple, but it made me laugh pretty hard.

Oxxidation posted:

:allears: This loving game.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

Alpha Protocol 2: Alpha Alpha Protocol - Featuring Brayko and Heck

"Ooh! Or a bomb, filled with bombs-- strapped to a nuke!"
:allears:

It won't happen, though. At least not through SEGA. Alpha Protocol took way too long to develop and ended up wasting a lot of money.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Even though Mina can be a terribly flat ice queen of a character, she is pretty funny if you stay suave with her.

She told me something about me not being fully equipped compared to other guys :qq:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Mass Effect 1 got off scott free from everyone and it had gameplay just as bad.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

You're playing it wrong. AP's gameplay is all about clearing entire rooms in 5 seconds or less.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Holy Calamity! posted:

You're playing it wrong. AP's gameplay is all about clearing entire rooms in 5 seconds or less.

"Hold on while I shoot six people in the head in less than a second, then turn invisible and stab the survivors in the throat."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Captain Oblivious posted:

Mass Effect 1 got off scott free from everyone and it had gameplay just as bad.
I'd say it's quite a bit worse, personally. The enemies didn't even react to being shot in that game. They were just walking health bars with erratic AI that took way too long to kill (and god help you if they have immunity).

Not too mention it was even buggier and was completely lacking in polish. But, since it had Bioware's name on the box it got off scott-free and won multiple GotY awards.

That's not to say I disliked Mass Effect, it was fun for what it was, I just think it's criminal that it got such warm reception while Alpha Protocol got poo poo on for pretty much the exact same problems.

• Locked thread