Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

Hannibal Smith posted:

My favorite email of them all is the sarcastic Time-cube rant you can send to Heck. I've been looking for a screenshot of it, but I haven't had any luck. I'll have to remember to get one the next time I play.

Best part is it actually gets you +2 rep with him.

This one? Holy crap Steven, we're THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS! It goes deeper than that - the men in charge of the banking system want to DENY 4 Opposite Corner Days! The word Earth indicates One, Entity, or Singularity, but Earth is not an Entity, for the Half of Earth seen from Space cannot exist without the Opposite Half NOT SEEN! Evil God Believers refuse to acknowledge 4 corner Days rotating simultaneously around 4 quadrant created Earth - in only 1 rotation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
Yes! Thank you!

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Hannibal Smith posted:

I'd say it's quite a bit worse, personally. The enemies didn't even react to being shot in that game. They were just walking health bars with erratic AI that took way too long to kill (and god help you if they have immunity).

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE!

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Alright, reading this thread is like hearing everyone laugh at a joke I'm not in on. I'm gonna look for a cheap used copy.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
A joke that's still funny after you hear it times, because the punchline is always different. :stare:

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I think I'm going to end up breaking this game by monkeying with the .ini files. I've found out you can change the skin color in APGame.ini and man Thorton is weird looking now. At first I made him a vampire by accident then accidentally turned him into a racial caricature minus the big lips and eyes. I'm gonna have fun with this. If you're curious I've taken a few screenshots. I think I'm gonna try for Martian red and Alien green next.

Edit: Oh and they're both for Very Pale :v:

CaudaVenenus
Sep 17, 2004

Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you.
I reinstalled the game and I have a problem. In the lockpicking mini-game, the locks move very slowly. Much slower than they used to and that they're supposed to. My mouse sensitivity is fairly high so i don't think it's that. Anyone has an idea what might be causing it ? I did mess around with the .ini files especially to disable acceleration, but I had done that before and didn't have the problem. I can't figure out what variable caused this.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You just know Obsidian would be do blackface and still be able to pull it off.

Obsidian. :allears:

Avelone. :allears:

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!

Holy Calamity! posted:

You're playing it wrong. AP's gameplay is all about clearing entire rooms in 5 seconds or less.

I kind of wish I could still respec and just max out pistols, kung fu, and stealth. It'd be like that class in Mass Effect 2 where you blindly run into people but ten times faster and angrier.

Just finished Moscow (my first area after SA) and I'm starting to enjoy the game now! Lots of interesting factions and choices and combat gets a lot more tolerable once you have a couple of abilities. The linked shot (or whatever the 6 shots in .01 seconds thing is) is basically an auto-kill button.

One problem though - my inventory, clearinghouse, and customization screens are all completely missing textures. Everything is pure white with just shadows. Did I gently caress up an .ini or something? E: fixed this by re-enabling motion blur directly through the config, probably didn't play nice with my save or something.

Golashes fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 8, 2011

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Cowman posted:

I think I'm going to end up breaking this game by monkeying with the .ini files. I've found out you can change the skin color in APGame.ini and man Thorton is weird looking now. At first I made him a vampire by accident then accidentally turned him into a racial caricature minus the big lips and eyes. I'm gonna have fun with this. If you're curious I've taken a few screenshots. I think I'm gonna try for Martian red and Alien green next.

Edit: Oh and they're both for Very Pale :v:

Let me know if you find the value that makes him Blue Man Group blue.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Well I am about ready to give up. I tried removing the drivers that were available for my new monitor in case they did something, but that didn't help. And after searching around on the Steam forums it seems other people have had problems with the game working and then suddenly just failing to launch, so now I suspect the monitor might have been coincidence.

When I try to run Alpha Protocol now, I get the launcher, click Play, get a black screen, then a crash to desktop with Windows telling me "Alpha Protocol has stopped working."

I've tried verifying the integrity of the files, uninstalling, and redownloading it, running it in compatibility mode for Win XP and Vista, deleting the physx drivers so they're reinstalled when I run the game, and even disabling HID Compliant Control Devices through Device Manager, as suggested here: http://www.unigamesity.com/fix-alpha-protocol-stuttering-and-not-starting-problems/

Win 7 64. Game worked fine for a few days, now crashes at launch. Has anybody run into this and managed to fix it or have any suggestions?

Edit: I tried deleting the Alpha Protocol folder from My Documents too, in case something got messed up and then saved there. Didn't help.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!

CaptainCaveman posted:

Well I am about ready to give up. I tried removing the drivers that were available for my new monitor in case they did something, but that didn't help. And after searching around on the Steam forums it seems other people have had problems with the game working and then suddenly just failing to launch, so now I suspect the monitor might have been coincidence.

When I try to run Alpha Protocol now, I get the launcher, click Play, get a black screen, then a crash to desktop with Windows telling me "Alpha Protocol has stopped working."

I've tried verifying the integrity of the files, uninstalling, and redownloading it, running it in compatibility mode for Win XP and Vista, deleting the physx drivers so they're reinstalled when I run the game, and even disabling HID Compliant Control Devices through Device Manager, as suggested here: http://www.unigamesity.com/fix-alpha-protocol-stuttering-and-not-starting-problems/

Win 7 64. Game worked fine for a few days, now crashes at launch. Has anybody run into this and managed to fix it or have any suggestions?

I was dumb and saw an option for DX10 (or 11, i forget) in the ini and thought "ooo pretty!" so I turned it on and it caused this. Check your settings?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Hannibal Smith posted:

My favorite email of them all is the sarcastic Time-cube rant you can send to Heck. I've been looking for a screenshot of it, but I haven't had any luck. I'll have to remember to get one the next time I play.

Best part is it actually gets you +2 rep with him.

Even better is that his reply (or another email of his, I forgot) talks of manipulating commodity prices to see how they impact things like suicide rates, which is exactly what Parker had been doing years earlier, according to his dossier

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Doc Hawkins posted:

Let me know if you find the value that makes him Blue Man Group blue.
Ask and ye shall receive
In order to do this, just open up APGame.ini and go all the way down to the bottom and you'll see the settings for skin color(search [APGame.APCharacterCreationManager] and you'll get there immediately). I've only messed with the Very pale settings (to get this one just set R and G to 0.0 and B to 1.0). Due to there being 3 separate color settings (SkinPigment, SkinPigmentLight, EpidermisColor) and also a blend setting (SkinPigmentBlend) (which I set to 0.0 and began this whole mess), it shouldn't be too hard to mix and match settings to get the color you want.

Edit: Probably need to lighten it, but Thorton is blue.

Edit 2: Messing with the eye brightness leads to an accidental Dune knockoff.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 8, 2011

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

John Dough posted:

Even better is that his reply (or another email of his, I forgot) talks of manipulating commodity prices to see how they impact things like suicide rates, which is exactly what Parker had been doing years earlier, according to his dossier

It would be cool if someone could combine :aaaaa: and :stare: because it would pretty much sum up all reactions to this game in one fell swoop.

dmccaff
Nov 8, 2010
Bar Mass Effect are there any recent games similar to Alpha Protocol and the like? Action RPG (with guns) is fast becoming my favorite genre of games. I was looking at Resonance of Fate but I see it's console only :(

dmccaff fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 8, 2011

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

dmccaff posted:

Bar Mass Effect are there any recent games similar to Alpha Protocol and the like? Action RPG is fast becoming my favorite genre of games. I was looking at Resonance of Fate but I see it's console only :(

You play The Witcher 2 yet?

dmccaff
Nov 8, 2010

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Indeed, I should have said RPG's with guns in a modern/futuristic setting.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Yeah it's a similar more interactive combat RPG similar to Alpha Protocol than just click on targets and letting the background math go along.

Lots of good stuff like bombs, blocking and special spells called Signs.

FINALmasa
Feb 12, 2006

Ask me about how feminists are feminists because they can't get laid.

Don't worry, I'm not some sexist ass, MRAs are MRAs because they can't get laid either. By the way, I am totally an MRA!

dmccaff posted:

Bar Mass Effect are there any recent games similar to Alpha Protocol and the like? Action RPG (with guns) is fast becoming my favorite genre of games. I was looking at Resonance of Fate but I see it's console only :(

Eh, Resonance of Fate isn't really the same thing. Sure, it doesn't really take itself seriously, but it's really grindy and more about the combat than anything else. I quickly burned out on it because it seemed like you had to go through 5-10 pitiful random battles before you could get to a real fight, and it just wasn't worthwhile. The closest I've heard of is Vampire Bloodlines, which seemed pretty decent, and I actually got out of the first town. The major RPG failing is that you have to grind out Diplomacy skills if you actually want to play it correctly, but that was the style at the time.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Golashes posted:

I was dumb and saw an option for DX10 (or 11, i forget) in the ini and thought "ooo pretty!" so I turned it on and it caused this. Check your settings?

Well, I didn't see anything in the ini files for it, but I just tried uninstalling and reinstalling again after updating my video card drivers (even though I had already updated them) and for whatever reason now it's working. I have no idea what happened.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Valen
Oct 1, 2009

dmccaff posted:

There's the new Deus Ex game hitting next month. The gunplay is solid and the dialogue options let you play as very different characters depending on the choices you make and how you go through missions.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
This and the reception Dragon Age 2 got have trained me to hate the professional game media deeply. As someone said, I was expecting a "brilliant but flawed" style of game, but what I got was one of the best games I've played in a long time. What the hell is wrong with those people?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Tiler Kiwi posted:

This and the reception Dragon Age 2 got have trained me to hate the professional game media deeply. As someone said, I was expecting a "brilliant but flawed" style of game, but what I got was one of the best games I've played in a long time. What the hell is wrong with those people?

They all played it a week before release so no one told them to use pistols.

french lies
Apr 16, 2008

Tiler Kiwi posted:

The crouching animation looks a bit off so it's "buggy to the point of unplayability". They're just informing the consumer, man!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Now that's what I'm talking about. Steam sales bringing attention to underappreciated gems is how the system is supposed to work :unsmith: That or the awesome new thread.

Let us all hope there's a massive end-of-sale sale and this can be picked up for a price it can be gifted again.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Lynx posted:

Welp, I just completed my latest playthrough, and I finally managed to (endgame spoilers ahead) get Marburg to kill Parker for cutting him loose in his Deus Vult days (thanks Oxxidation!) and get Scarlet to shoot me while confronting Leland.
Can you post a video of that one? I've seen "Parker goes after Marburg" from several sources, as well as "Marburg walks away after you've killed Leland" but never Marburg goes after Parker / Refuses to go after you when Leland prompts hims"

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 9, 2011

Huitzil
May 25, 2010

by elpintogrande

elf help book posted:

Let's be fair here: the first few hours of the game, in Saudi Arabia, aren't very good as an introduction to the game or as a game in general, and to really appreciate how good the game is you have to beat it multiple times. Games reviewers aren't going to have the time to beat it to completion multiple times to really see its virtues, and most players don't beat games once, much less multiple times. First impressions really do count, and AP gives a lousy one.

Which is a shame because it really is great. Maybe some more extensive use of the flash-forward teases during the SA section would have let people know "don't worry, this isn't another goddamn military shooter set in the desert, poo poo is going to get off the loving chain in short order."

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Can you post a video of that one? I've seen "Parker goes after Marburg" from several sources, as well as "Marburg walks away after you've killed Leland" but never Marburg goes after Parker / Refuses to go after you when Leland prompts hims"

I've already deleted the save, the closest one I have left is from my first hub. If no one beats me to it I'll try and record it when I get there/figure out FRAPS.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Doppelganger posted:

Alright, reading this thread is like hearing everyone laugh at a joke I'm not in on. I'm gonna look for a cheap used copy.

Steam has it for $13 at present (and it was $5 a few days ago when it went on daily sale); if you're patient it'll probably back in the $5-$7.50 range during the Christmas sale if not before.

dmccaff posted:

Fallout: New Vegas? Not as reactive as AP, but it's an RPG, it has guns, and it's by the same developer.

elf help book posted:

Wasn't there at least one review that described pistols as "so underpowered as to be useless" or something like that?

Considering how often game reviews seem to contain poo poo that's just straight up factually wrong, I'd be interested to see what percentage of reviewers played the entire game, what percentage played part of it and then called it a day, and what percentage looked at some other reviews and then made poo poo up without ever installing the game.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Pistol supremacy is in fact one of the things that makes Alpha Protocol so very like Pistol Effect. I mean Mass Effect 1.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've never actually read any of the Alpha Protocol reviews before, but I finally went on Metacritic and checked some out.

My god, they reviewed this game aggressively. People really aren't joking. People got extremely upset over the weirdest little things with the mechanics and just blew its shortcomings wayyyy out of proportion. I also never understood the "so many bugs" mantra. I've played through the game 5 times and experienced less bugs than probably four or five hours in Dragon Age or Mass Effect (barring the weird embassy bug which is just one line of unspoken text anyway).

I guess this is kinda beating a dead horse but drat this game deserved so much more.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

In Training posted:

I've never actually read any of the Alpha Protocol reviews before, but I finally went on Metacritic and checked some out.

My god, they reviewed this game aggressively. People really aren't joking. People got extremely upset over the weirdest little things with the mechanics and just blew its shortcomings wayyyy out of proportion. I also never understood the "so many bugs" mantra. I've played through the game 5 times and experienced less bugs than probably four or five hours in Dragon Age or Mass Effect (barring the weird embassy bug which is just one line of unspoken text anyway).

I guess this is kinda beating a dead horse but drat this game deserved so much more.

Alpha Protocol is pretty flawed especially for production values/annoying technical issues but still much more interesting than Bioware's RPG-lite action games especially the recent lazy Dragon Age 2 game.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I just beat the game again and this time I got to ride off with Mina into the sunset. :3: But gently caress that battle with Leland in the tower, with him using a rocket launcher. In my last game, it was Westbridge up there with a turret, and that was way easier. This time I had to dodge chunks of concrete everywhere, and I still can't figure out how to enter into the tower. I just ended up chainshotting him in the face from the bridge across the way until the cutscene where I punch him repeatedly until I shoot him in the head. And what was really cool was that I took Heck as my handler, like I had the first time, but unlike the first time, I wasn't friendly with Scarlet so she didn't help me out. Instead I got to shoot bad guys with Heck almost the whole time. :neckbeard:

I told my brother I'd give this to him after I was done, but I just can't give it up yet. He'll have to buy his own copy. In my next game as a Veteran, I'm going to use my fists as much as possible. I love charging into a room and punching everybody out SO MUCH.

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty

ToxicFrog posted:

Considering how often game reviews seem to contain poo poo that's just straight up factually wrong, I'd be interested to see what percentage of reviewers played the entire game, what percentage played part of it and then called it a day, and what percentage looked at some other reviews and then made poo poo up without ever installing the game.

Sometimes you get gems like this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headhunter_Redemption#Controversy

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rabbit Hill posted:

I told my brother I'd give this to him after I was done, but I just can't give it up yet. He'll have to buy his own copy. In my next game as a Veteran, I'm going to use my fists as much as possible. I love charging into a room and punching everybody out SO MUCH.

And Flying Knee kick never gets old, sort of sad it didn't have even more melee super moves.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Rabbit Hill posted:

I just beat the game again and this time I got to ride off with Mina into the sunset. :3: But gently caress that battle with Leland in the tower, with him using a rocket launcher. In my last game, it was Westbridge up there with a turret, and that was way easier. This time I had to dodge chunks of concrete everywhere, and I still can't figure out how to enter into the tower.

If you want spoilers on how to enter the tower, here they are: from the corner in which you start, head clockwise around the room. In the next corner is a staircase. Climb it to reach a catwalk running around the room. Follow it counterclockwise and eventually you'll reach a point where it turns left into a bridge and ends in a door to the tower.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Huitzil posted:

Let's be fair here: the first few hours of the game, in Saudi Arabia, aren't very good as an introduction to the game or as a game in general, and to really appreciate how good the game is you have to beat it multiple times. Games reviewers aren't going to have the time to beat it to completion multiple times to really see its virtues, and most players don't beat games once, much less multiple times. First impressions really do count, and AP gives a lousy one.

Which is a shame because it really is great. Maybe some more extensive use of the flash-forward teases during the SA section would have let people know "don't worry, this isn't another goddamn military shooter set in the desert, poo poo is going to get off the loving chain in short order."

Yeah, that would have been pretty awesome. Honestly, the opening with Leland should have said something like "Well, Mr. Thorton, you've travelled all around the world and made quite a mess of things." Or even mentioning Moscow, Taipei and Rome by name. Basically, there should be a bunch of stuff underlining how you are a super-cool agent in a super-tough spot. I'm not even sure what it gains by showing the attack on the plane.

Also speaking of wishing cutscenes were skippable...

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 9, 2011

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Doc Hawkins posted:

Yeah, that would have been pretty awesome. Honestly, the opening with Leland should have said something like "Well, Mr. Thorton, you've travelled all around the world and made quite a mess of things." Or even mentioning Moscow, Taipei and Rome by name. Basically, there should be a bunch of stuff underlining how you are a super-cool agent in a super-tough spot. I'm not even sure what it gains by showing the attack on the plane.

Also speaking of wishing cutscenes were skippable...

I like the way it handles the start because for a short while you think you're the one in charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah, first time through I started off thinking I was the one interrogating Leland. A nice reversal there.

• Locked thread