Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Clavius posted:

Link to the Past engine in HTML Canvas. Hooray!

It's pretty beastly. Currently has proper collisions, diagonal tiles, speed changes, dashing, water, ice, bridges you can walk under or over, a z-index for tiles so things are on different 'floors', jumping from ledges, ladders and a whole bunch of neat little touches. I'm currently working on getting objects like rocks and signs and chests working.

I haven't put in any landscape graphics just yet, what's there is a kind of debug drawing mode that shows the behaviour of each tile. Walkable is grey (or blue for water), non-walkable is yellow, bridges are green, things higher on the z-index are lighter.

Version 0.25 in progress

This is pretty amazing so far. Good for a personal project, but I would change the character, story and graphics a bit into a new game instead of releasing a Zelda because Nintendo is known to go after sites like this.

Also, I know this is a really early version, but if this helps out at all, when I went up over the vertical bridge, and tried to go back down it wouldn't let me. I fell off the ledge and went back up the stairs and across the bridge and back the other way to test it again, and it worked. So it looks like there's some kind of bug going on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clavius
Oct 21, 2007

Howdy!

NOG posted:

This is pretty amazing so far. Good for a personal project, but I would change the character, story and graphics a bit into a new game instead of releasing a Zelda because Nintendo is known to go after sites like this.

Also, I know this is a really early version, but if this helps out at all, when I went up over the vertical bridge, and tried to go back down it wouldn't let me. I fell off the ledge and went back up the stairs and across the bridge and back the other way to test it again, and it worked. So it looks like there's some kind of bug going on there.

It's just got Link on it because that's the kind of thing I was going for for an engine. I might make a game out of it later or something and would make my own thing though, I know what nintendo can be like.

I'm trying to replicate that bug with the bridge and can't seem to get it to happen. There's a bug when you're in water or on ice I'll be fixing shortly that can stop you moving for a while, but I can't seem to get anything else to break there. If you can replicate it and tell me the conditions that would be awesome.

quote:

That's fantastic!
I've been trying to get into engines like this since I started programming, but there really aren't any good tutorials or resources (that I've found, anyway). If you ever feel like writing a tutorial or releasing the source, I would be forever in your debt

It's just javascript with html canvas elements, check out the source of the page. I've commented as much as I can for my own sanity. It is by no stretch of the imagination the cleanest thing I've ever written though, so don't get too excited. There's a lot of lines like this:

if (ls[grid_down][x][br_n1]!='1'&&ls[c_grid_down][x][br_n3]<=ls[grid_down][x][br_n3]) { jumpmatch = false; }

Where ls is the landscape array, grid down is the lowest y coordinate of your projected location when pressing the down key, x is the current x co-ordinate looping from the left-most coordinate of your current location to the right most. Doing it in a loop like that allows collision boundaries of any size against a grid with tiles of any size.

The landscape array is structured like this:
+- Y coordinate
+-+- X coordinate
+-+-+- Landscape tile behaviour (walkable, non-walkable, diagonal top left, etc)
+-+-+- Landscape tile attribute (ice, water, shallow water, ladder, etc)
+-+-+- Landscape tile z-index

br_n1 is checking the bridge layer co-ordinate for its behaviour. 1 is non-walkable.

So. At this point we are pushing down, checking the row of projected co-ordinates below for non-walkable tiles. That's the first part.

Now. c_grid_down is the lowest y co-ordinate of your current location. x is the same x co-ordinate as previously explained. br_n3 is that bridge layer co-ordinates z-index. If that is lower or equal to the z-index of the projected co-ordinate, then cancel the jump_match trigger. This is just for jumping off bridges, and there's a few more checks attached to it too. If it goes through it triggers the frame countdown to set off a jump calculation and subsequent animation/movement. If it fails the countdown is reset.

It has four different ones for each direction, and that's a tiny tiny part of the whole thing. It's loving enormous.

I hope that made sense, because it barely did to me typing it.

E: Don't know why I dumped one of the more complicated things about it here, the basics aren't that scary. I was going to write up a blog post about it at some point.

Clavius fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 30, 2011

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

Clavius posted:

Link to the Past engine in HTML Canvas. Hooray!

It's pretty beastly. Currently has proper collisions, diagonal tiles, speed changes, dashing, water, ice, bridges you can walk under or over, a z-index for tiles so things are on different 'floors', jumping from ledges, ladders and a whole bunch of neat little touches. I'm currently working on getting objects like rocks and signs and chests working.

I haven't put in any landscape graphics just yet, what's there is a kind of debug drawing mode that shows the behaviour of each tile. Walkable is grey (or blue for water), non-walkable is yellow, bridges are green, things higher on the z-index are lighter.

Version 0.25 in progress

This is sweet! A long time ago before I was a programmer I was trying to do something similar in Multimedia Fusion. I bet a lot of people could make some really cool stuff with this when it's done if it's documented well.

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe
Wrote some code to cheer up a friend of mine. It's a twitter bot that takes everything our one friend says and makes it uppercase and makes it more ragey since he's such an angry dude. I'm a good friend. :)

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

when i move you move, just like that

Got water somewhat working. Still need to make it threadsafe and then make ocean water. I could probably use this type of water for the ocean, but I think that'd take way too much overhead.

More at http://dangerz.blogspot.com.

edit: I made a video.

dangerz fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 5, 2011

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

dangerz posted:

Got water somewhat working. Still need to make it threadsafe and then make ocean water. I could probably use this type of water for the ocean, but I think that'd take way too much overhead.

More at http://dangerz.blogspot.com .

Cool seed bro.

coinstarpatrick
May 21, 2007

by T. Finn

dangerz posted:

Really enjoying your blog. It's pretty amazing you went from knowing next to no programming to where you are now. Unity3d is a really cool engine.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

dangerz posted:

I've got nothing useful to say except I just read through your blog and enjoyed reading it, great work so far, and keep it up!

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

coinstarpatrick posted:

Really enjoying your blog. It's pretty amazing you went from knowing next to no programming to where you are now. Unity3d is a really cool engine.
To be fair, I've been programming for a long time. This is the first time I've done any sort of 3d/game programming though.

Thanks though :]

poemdexter posted:

Cool seed bro.
I'm assuming this is a cut at the fact that I'm creating a Minecraft clone. I've never written a solid video game before (not including my iPhone games), so I thought I'd try and recreate something that looked simple but really wasn't. This isn't for-profit or anything.

dangerz fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 4, 2011

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

dangerz posted:

I'm assuming this is a cut at the fact that I'm creating a Minecraft clone. I've never written a solid video game before (not including my iPhone games), so I thought I'd try and recreate something that looked simple but really wasn't. This isn't for-profit or anything.

Actually, it was probably a reference to the text "Seed 420" in your images.

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

Anal Volcano posted:

Actually, it was probably a reference to the text "Seed 420" in your images.
Ah ok.. sorry about that.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

dangerz posted:

Ah ok.. sorry about that.

Yah, your seed was set to 420, I assumed it was on purpose :shobon: . I have been following your blog as well as well as dereekb's. My buddy and I were thinking of starting a development blog, but this is such a pet project and our hours of work are so sporadic that I don't think we'd update it as much as we'd like.

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

poemdexter posted:

Yah, your seed was set to 420, I assumed it was on purpose :shobon: . I have been following your blog as well as well as dereekb's. My buddy and I were thinking of starting a development blog, but this is such a pet project and our hours of work are so sporadic that I don't think we'd update it as much as we'd like.
It's all good man.. I just keep getting people trashing me for making a Minecraft clone so I'm stupid defensive. Sorry about that.

While I don't smoke, 420 has def been my favorite seed. I built and tested a lot on it so I've been using it nonstop. I just really like the mountain ranges that it generates and the beach isn't too far away, so I stick with it for testing.

You should definitely create a dev blog. If anything, it's neat to look back and see how much progress you've made. I've also made some friends through my blog that have helped me along the way. Shoot me a message on here or on my blog if you do create one.. I'd definitely read.

Anyway, sorry again for being snippy.

dangerz fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 5, 2011

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

dangerz posted:

It's all good man.. I just keep getting people trashing me for making a Minecraft clone so I'm stupid defensive. Sorry about that.

While I don't smoke, 420 has def been my favorite seed. I built and tested a lot on it so I've been using it nonstop. I just really like the mountain ranges that it generates and the beach isn't too far away, so I stick with it for testing.

You should definitely create a dev blog. If anything, it's neat to look back and see how much progress you've made. I've also made some friends through my blog that have helped me along the way. Shoot me a message on here or on my blog if you do create one.. I'd definitely read.

haha, it's fine. I know very well how the minecraft crowd can be. I'll talk to my buddy about getting a blog up since we already own the domain name for the game. Keep up the cool work.

limpet
Jul 12, 2005

Dapper doggy.
I'm building a little XBMC remote control as a Chome Extension. Most of the basic functionality is there, just looking to skin it now.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

dangerz posted:

Stuff like this is really inspiring. I've been putting a lot of work into improving my programming skills with my work on TerrariViewer and I want to get into something more advanced (such as a game). I have a few ideas and reading your blog and seeing your videos motivates me to just start with something and go from there.

Before seeing your stuff, I had been blocking myself because I put this standard in my head and then I tell myself that I will never be able to meet it.

Thanks a lot, I'll definitely be starting up a blogspot like yours. I agree that it helps with motivation because you can see just how far you have come.

Dolex
May 5, 2001

Genetic Algorithm - GPGPU[OpenCL] - OpenGL Image Approximation with a stochastic search space.

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow

Dolex posted:

Genetic Algorithm - GPGPU[OpenCL] - OpenGL Image Approximation with a stochastic search space.

I'm really really really interested in seeing your source code! (I also tried my hand at learning GPGPU by trying to solve that exact same problem using cuda to speed up certain cpu intensive parts, but I'm a total idiot and my code is all sorts of crusty and terrible)

_aaron
Jul 24, 2007
The underscore is silent.

tripwire posted:

I'm really really really interested in seeing your source code!
Me too; this sounds really neat.

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

I like Avalon 3D (WPF's 3D scene graph), but it's really feature-starved in some pretty important and fundamental areas. Like it doesn't sort transparent triangles. Hilarious. Rather than just use SlimDX and get on with it, I thought I'd implement my own renderer of the same dataset and add the features I want through attached properties and new subclasses. Nothing like expending dozens of times the effort for the same result. First thing is to get it to the same capability level, hence:

A movie in a brush unfortunately requires pattern-matching to apply a hack because RenderTargetBitmap doesn't work properly with VisualBrushes containing MediaElements; I'm guessing it's because RenderTargetBitmap uses software rendering. I can leverage my hack to render to a texture first before copying over to the RenderTargetBitmap, but then the Avalon 3D control doesn't render properly for some reason. I'm surprised I'm having fun doing this, it's usually completely infuriating to have code not work because of factors outside my control (in other words, doing anything at all with WPF).

The Wizard of Oz fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jul 7, 2011

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
There comes a time in every programmer's life where we must implement a spring-physics system. Here's mine:

These are ridiculously fun to play with. My source is here- there are some things I'd still like to simplify, but it's pretty easy to follow.

Dolex
May 5, 2001

http://code.google.com/p/gpgpu-image-approximation/

It's a python script.

edit: That code is not fit for mass consumption, very VERY ugly formatting. I am new to python, so all of my C chops are not welcome it seems! It was my first python project.

Requires PyOpenCL and some other stuff

Dolex fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 8, 2011

ShaunO
Jan 29, 2006

My copy of Concrete Mathematics arrived yesterday so I put up a whiteboard, a trip to the stationery shop to get a few more bits and pieces and I'm really to learn some mad skills. Wish me luck.. hah.

Thinkin about some kind of high sitting chair to put between the desk and the board with a book stand on the desk to make things more comfortable.. hrmm.. either way, whiteboard is drat handy not just for doing sums and poo poo but helping to visualise software ideas and whatnot. (Of course have a thousand whiteboards in the office but never had one at home)

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow

Dolex posted:

http://code.google.com/p/gpgpu-image-approximation/

It's a python script.

edit: That code is not fit for mass consumption, very VERY ugly formatting. I am new to python, so all of my C chops are not welcome it seems! It was my first python project.

Requires PyOpenCL and some other stuff

Awesome, funny we both did ours in python. I was using PyCuda rather than PyOpenCl to do mine. Thanks!
Heres mine: https://bitbucket.org/prb/python-polygon-picture-evolver/overview

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
I made a javascript based fractal generator:

http://nexo.us/demos/fractals.aspx

Makes things like this:

Runs best in Chrome/Opera, sucks in IE.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

ShaunO posted:

Is the set of books on your desk worth getting? I saw one of the set at a Fry's the other day and thought about getting it, but then saw that it was part of a set.

Surface
May 5, 2007
<3 boomstick

nexous posted:

I made a javascript based fractal generator:

http://nexo.us/demos/fractals.aspx

Makes things like this:

Runs best in Chrome/Opera, sucks in IE.

This is cool, the results look very nice, it makes me want to take a crack at writing a fractal generator.

ShaunO
Jan 29, 2006

TJChap2840 posted:

Is the set of books on your desk worth getting? I saw one of the set at a Fry's the other day and thought about getting it, but then saw that it was part of a set.

I've only skimmed through a little bit so far but from what I've read they are very nice books and are also rated very highly as far as I know. My maths isn't strong enough to do fully understand them or do the exercises, so I'm about to crack into Concrete Mathematics. I don't have much of a mathematics background and never went to university so having been programming for a few years now I'm trying to gain some new perspectives to attack when approaching challenges in software design. As well as giving me a solid ground if I would want to do a degree eventually (which would be absolute cakewalk compared to these textbooks). I have no doubt these books are gonna do the trick.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Internet Janitor posted:

There comes a time in every programmer's life where we must implement a spring-physics system. Here's mine:

These are ridiculously fun to play with. My source is here- there are some things I'd still like to simplify, but it's pretty easy to follow.

Nifty, and the source is clear and easy for even an idiot Java newbie like myself to follow. I have a question though: why do you use the synchronized blocks when dealing with the springs and masses?

Dolex
May 5, 2001

I would normally work in openframeworks, but getting linux + c + opencl together s hell

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

TJChap2840 posted:

If you're talking about Knuth's The Art Of Computer Programming and you think really understanding math and by building on that foundation really understanding algorithms is "worth getting" then yes it is worth getting.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
redleader: AWT drawing and events normally occur on their own thread. I'm using synchronized blocks so that no other threads will be able to modify the springs or masses collections if they're being used. This ensures that the call to paint() will not interleave with tick() or reset(). If you take out those blocks, you'll find that the app occasionally generates a ConcurrentModificationException. Make sense?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
So I finished my browser based VIM colorscheme editor a while ago, and there it sits, unused because I never think anything I make is good enough for other people to use. Well, time to stop being such a baby.

http://www.vimtax.com/vimtax

Pick a base theme, then hit Edit. Click on code to change it's color. Any suggestions on other languages to add?

EDIT: Bah, forgot attaching doesn't resize / timg things. Sorry for the table breaking :bang:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Internet Janitor posted:

redleader: AWT drawing and events normally occur on their own thread. I'm using synchronized blocks so that no other threads will be able to modify the springs or masses collections if they're being used. This ensures that the call to paint() will not interleave with tick() or reset(). If you take out those blocks, you'll find that the app occasionally generates a ConcurrentModificationException. Make sense?

Makes sense, thanks. I'm not familiar with AWT so I'm a little surprised that tick() and paint() don't happen in succession.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Lumpy posted:

So I finished my browser based VIM colorscheme editor a while ago, and there it sits, unused because I never think anything I make is good enough for other people to use. Well, time to stop being such a baby.

Pick a base theme, then hit Edit. Click on code to change it's color. Any suggestions on other languages to add?

EDIT: Bah, forgot attaching doesn't resize / timg things. Sorry for the table breaking :bang:

This is really cool, good work! If elflord weren't already perfect in both name and colors I'm sure I'd get a lot of use out of it.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Lumpy posted:

This is amazing/awesome, you might just wanna upload some more of the most popular themes to it for people to use as starting points.

Also it might be worth noting that the CSS for the "VimTax was created by..." thing breaks on my work computer and shows up in the middle of the page, probably not a big deal though since I'm running Debian and whatever old-as-hell version of Firefox/Iceweasel they ship with it - it works on what Firefox is included with Linux Mint.

Good work!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

ClosedBSD posted:

This is amazing/awesome, you might just wanna upload some more of the most popular themes to it for people to use as starting points.

Also it might be worth noting that the CSS for the "VimTax was created by..." thing breaks on my work computer and shows up in the middle of the page, probably not a big deal though since I'm running Debian and whatever old-as-hell version of Firefox/Iceweasel they ship with it - it works on what Firefox is included with Linux Mint.

Good work!

Cool, thanks for the feedback. I have tested it under ubuntu, but not other distros, I'll see if I can figure that bug out. If you have suggestions on other themes to convert, PM me.

Shugyousha
Sep 24, 2007
Just (s)trolling by...

Lumpy posted:

Thank you for this! I used it to tweak "desert" slightly just to my liking.

Maybe I missed it, but is there another way to export the edited version of your colorscheme other than previewing the file and copy & pasting the contents of it?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Shugyousha posted:

Thank you for this! I used it to tweak "desert" slightly just to my liking.

Maybe I missed it, but is there another way to export the edited version of your colorscheme other than previewing the file and copy & pasting the contents of it?

Save it, then you can download it directly. I will be adding a download link from the EDIT screen though.

\/\/ Yup, you guys are my beta testers :v:

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

narbsy
Jun 2, 2007

Lumpy posted:

Looks like the landing page (http://www.vimtax.com) still claims it's not up yet.