Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Dropbear posted:

First of all, why are there race restricted items for sale / craft when you can only equip your main character that is always human? Basically it seems that there's a bunch of items for sale (some with ludicrous prices) that do absolutely nothing. Why?

If you have an item in your inventory and someone else can use it, they'll ask for it. What they can use is kind of sketchy though and requires some trial and error.

Alternatively, there's an .ini setting you can flip so that you can manually equip your other party members. But that can get a little weird when they start upgrading their equipment.

quote:

Second, about battles. Does distance somehow come into it? Looks like mobs just warp around the combat map freely and you can't move your units (besides attacking), so the map itself seems to mean gently caress-all. I assume you can't place your healer-unions behind the other unions either, since the enemies just warp right at them?

Distance and positioning does mean something but it's pretty weird (like the rest of the game). Unions can pass through each other if they are not targeting one another, BUT you can do things like intercept enemy unions if you target a union who is not targeting you. To make that less confusing, imagine the layout:
code:
A  [C]
  B
If C is the enemy group and he's targeting A, but your group B is targeting C, you will intercept C before it reaches A. Of course that also depends on what A was doing, and how fast A/B/C all are. And of course most of the time you won't really know what the enemy unions are going to do anyway.

So 90% of the time it doesn't mean much, but there are times (especially in the harder boss battles) where it actually can be pretty important. Attacking the closest union to you can often mean avoid getting intercepted, which is a very good thing since setting intercepted means taking extra damage and losing moral.

quote:

Why do unions seem to use their skills randomly, and is there some way to affect it? I mean, if I select "Use Mystic Arts" I might have one guy cast a spell while the others just hit the mobs with their weapons. Sometimes you have four guys casting spells. Sometimes the "Heal that other union"-command has more people attacking with mystic arts than "Use mystic arts"-command! :psyduck:

Yeah this is kind of janky, but it's worse towards the beginning of the game usually. What skills they pick to do is based off what skills they have, what class they are, what their moral is, what personality they have, and most importantly, how much AP they have. Also some skills (the green "super" arts like Omnistrike and summons) can only be used by the union leader.

The best way to control what you get is to switch between targets and find the best option among all of them. Some times you have to give up better positioning (see above) to do so, but often it's worth it. Make sure you hit the button so you can see exactly what choices they are making when you do this, though you can pretty much eyeball it by seeing what spends the most AP (assuming that's what you want to do).

Oh and on this note, don't be afraid to break Deadlocks! The game sort of makes it sound like this is a really bad thing, but in some situations it's actually just fine. Basically doing so just means that if the union you broke from manages to re-Deadlock you, you instead get Raidlocked. Which is generally bad, but in some situations (like saving yourself from dieing by issuing a 'heal yourself' Deadlock breaking command) it's not that bad of an option. Breaking Deadlock to heal yourself I believe is guaranteed to activate before the enemy can Raidlock you.

And of course if you have multiple people Deadlocking the enemy union in the first place, that's not a problem.

quote:

Also, how do I give items to people? I know they ask for certain items when you get them as drops, but if half my party keeps begging me for iron ore and I have a bunch of it, there doesn't seem to be any way to actually give it to them? Or have I missed something?

Yeah this is probably one of the most annoying bits of the game. Once a crafting bit is in your inventory, it's yours and you can't give it up. To get them what they need, you can do any of these:

1) After a battle is over, they'll claim any bits they want.
2) Any monster corpses that you split, if anyone needs any of the parts that you get from the split, they'll get an extra copy of them.
3) When you disassemble an item, if anyone needs any of the parts that you get from doing so, they'll get an extra copy of them.
4) If someone specifically requests if you can go and buy an item for them, when you buy that item, they will also get themselves one.
5) When you get items with Mr.Diggs, if anyone needs any of them, they'll get an extra copy.

quote:

The stats are also never explained anywhere! I mean, some characters have stats like "Love" or "Gluttony" or "Bravery" and the game doesn't bother giving you the faintest clue what they do.

It's a mystery. Seriously, nobody really knows for sure, but the general assumption is that is has subtle effects on certain situations in combat, like when characters decide to reassess and so on.

Honestly I'm wondering if it's possible to hack around with the game code in UnrealEd and see what the hell they do.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

Maybe regional licensing issues? Drakensang is cheaper in the DE, for example.

The UK copies are from US stores. One reviewer on Amazon did say that the UK version will redeem on a US Steam account. Guess that answers that. :v:

Think I'm gonna hold off till the end of the week at least, in the faint hope that it becomes a Steam daily deal like just about the rest of the Square Enix library.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I tried those RPGmaker games at the start of the thread, and just couldn't get into them at all. But this thread has had me bust out my old school games and start playing suikoden 2 again which is nice.

One thing I didn't see mention in the entire thread is Legend of the Dragoon. I thought the game was a fun deviation from the rest of the RPGs at the time. It's like the game is trying to be different, but not too different.

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent
Personally, I thought that Legend of the Dragoon did some interesting things with gameplay, had some interesting characters and some interesting story elements. But the overall pacing was tedious to the point of frustration. Theres way too much trudging about. Random battles are entirely too frequent. The Addition system while interesting gets pretty drat old after the 1000th time youve had to time out your button presses the exact same way (on the bright side by the end you can do it in your sleep since youve done it so much) The titular dragoon powers were underwhelming to the point that often the additions are a more attractive alternative and youre only transforming to fire off a healing spell since you cant use magic without transforming. Interesting in concept but fundamentally flawed.

Oh and you can only ever hold 32 items what the poo poo is that about?

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I remember thinking Dragoon was a revolutionary, mind blowingly awesome game. God I loved that poo poo, poorly translated dialogue and all.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I like having to do stuff in battle to test myself beyond just pressing attack, and Legend of Dragoon was the closest you got at the time. Then Shadow Hearts came out and I never looked back.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I think what I liked most about it was that the characters were all cliche, but comfortably so. Like putting on old shoes that are worn in just the way you like.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Mind if I ask what site everyone uses to get RPG news? I usually read siliconera, than rpgfan and rpgamer. I'm just wondering if theres any better sites out there since the way I found this was typing "rpg news" into google a few years back.

EDIT: Forgot to add RPGland, they have a nice little section called RPG Deals which shows RPG games that are on sale at various locations. Update every Monday.

casual poster fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jul 8, 2011

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

casual poster posted:

Mind if I ask what site everyone uses to get RPG news? I usually read siliconera, than rpgfan and rpgamer. I'm just wondering if theres any better sites out there since the way I found this was typing "rpg news" into google a few years back.

EDIT: Forgot to add RPGland, they have a nice little section called RPG Deals which shows RPG games that are on sale at various locations. Update every Monday.

I only use something awful dot com.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

The Last Remnant for PC is today's daily deal for $9.99. Check out the demo. It's secretly a SaGa game in disguise.

edit: if you have Archives, here's The Last Remnant megathread. Most of the images that were hosted on Waffleimages are dead now, but the information is still good for new players. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3004257

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 8, 2011

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

CainFortea posted:

I only use something awful dot com.

Never heard of it.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Gyoru posted:

The Last Remnant for PC is today's daily deal for $9.99. Check out the demo. It's secretly a SaGa game in disguise.

edit: if you have Archives, here's The Last Remnant megathread. Most of the images that were hosted on Waffleimages are dead now, but the information is still good for new players. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3004257

Wow, 1UP and IGN really stand out as haters for it.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
TLR is one of those good games that got sunk by bad reviews. It didn't help that the 360 version was godawful - the PC version is much better.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Lone Rogue posted:

Wow, 1UP and IGN really stand out as haters for it.

...did you read the 1up review or just the metacritic blurb? That seemed pretty fair to me.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
It's a surprisingly cool game marred by some unfortunate design decisions when it comes to the combat system. But yeah, I enjoyed the poo poo out of TLR.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Because I'm an idiot and ordered TLR off Amazon the night before it went on Steam's daily deals (and too late to cancel it), I'm holding a contest in the Steam thread for that copy. There's already a couple entries if you want to try your artistic hand at it.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Here are the changes found in the PC version of The Last Remnant:

Ch-ch-ch-changes posted:

Battle

-Allies now have the option to cure a friendly union's curse status ailment via "Cure them even if it kills them!" command. (this command is in the XBOX 360 version as well, but is only available when the union is enthralled - it will not be available when the union is cursed)
-Arcana require substantially more AP.
-Attributes required for formation upgrades are vastly different.
-Crimson Flare, a new arcana, is now available.
-Enemies hit considerably harder and have higher HP.
-Healing no longer raises morale.
-Morale increased by Critical Hits has been dramatically reduced.
-Linking additional enemies together does not increase your Battle Rank further than having fought them separately.
-New formations now available, such as Eremurus Rain.
-Special commands, such as the use of David's Gae Bolg, are no longer interrupted by being raidlocked by a different union or having targeted enemy union defeated by an ally.
-Turbo Mode is now available, which dramatically increases combat speed when enabled.
-Unique Arts now require AP.
-Remnant Arts can only be performed by union leader, Weapon Arts now require high union morale.
-Wards now affect the entire union.
-Rare Monsters have significantly higher HP than their XBOX 360 counterparts.

Items

-Components and consumables are now categorized.
-Creation or customization of some items require fewer components.
-Items are now color-coded based on their rarity.
-New items available via Blueprint 4.
-Weapon's model can be displayed when viewing its stats.
-Weapon's stats have changed.
-Some very rare monster specific drops can now be split from these monsters as well (Godwood Timber, Spiritwood Timber).

Leaders

-The leader limit is no longer imposed.
-The stat cap has been lifted for all characters to allow a maximum of 255 for each stat.
-Rush can now be removed from the active party.
-Khrynia learns a new Unique Art: Dual Snowpetal.
-Leaders' arts can be disabled, filtering which skills the unit may use in combat.
-Leaders' requested components are displayed when viewing their stats.
-Leaders' wield style can be changed depending on their weapon.
-Some classes will prevent wield style changes in battle now, as well as shields.
-The experience required to advance Wield Style skills has been reduced, and the experience required to advance Weapon Type skills has been increased.
-Three new classes are now available: Ataraxian, Cleric, and Ninja.
-The Guardian, Fencer, and Warrior classes now require non-sovani wield styles and are thus not available to Sovani.
-The Gladiator class now requires Power Grip and Wards.
-Hybrid classes can now be achieved by units who do not start in one.
-Some leaders now have a different weapon upgrade path, which caused some units to learn new Weapon Arts while others lost theirs.
-Some leaders request weapons that do not coincide with their weapon upgrade path.
-Some leaders have had their starting class, equipment, arts, and hiring wage changed.
-The Seven are recruitable after completing Union of the Golden Chalice Task #70: For Our Lord.

Sidequests

-At Hatred's End is no longer required in order to activate Things Unchangeable.
-Duke of Ghor now has a … when you speak with him between base battles.
-The Assistant's component requirements have lowered.
-The DLC content is now unlocked differently, with the majority requiring the completion of certain guild tasks.
-The Leader Extraordinaire guild tasks requiring three units of a single class now only require one.
-The Monsterslayer guild tasks require different enemies to be defeated.

New Game+

-New Game+ is an option available after having completed the game's storyline.
-The following are carried over to the new game: components, formations, magazines, maps, Mr. Diggs's status (including his Digs count), customization level, and items that unlock arts for Rush (effectively Rush gains the first tier of those arts). You will also begin with a certain amount of gold based on the number of quests you have completed.
-Additionally, Hard Mode is available in which monsters are considerably stronger than their counterparts in normal difficulty.
-Monsters have less HP in Hard Mode.

Miscellaneous

-Auto Save is now available, which automatically saves after having changed zones or having won a battle.
-Battle Rank viewable outside of combat in main menu.
-Characters with … are now identified with markers on the map.
-Enemies can no longer be respawned by saving and reloading in the next area.
-New saving opportunities are now available, such as before the base's boss.
-Units in reserve no longer gain skills.
-A warning message is now displayed if game progress is saved between subsequent boss fights.
-Mr Diggs's digging animations are now much quicker.
-The loading screens that explained some of the game's mechanics have been disabled.
-Many areas of the game have had their spawn tables altered or repopulated.
-Starting battle music now coincides with starting morale in most battles.
-"Turn the Tide" and "Beat the Odds" now play during the second half instead of after entering Elysion.
-Union highlighting during the selection phase has been toned down (ie: ally unions don't look quite as blue).
-Camera in battle doesn't swing around as wildly anymore.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Syrg Sapphire posted:

...did you read the 1up review or just the metacritic blurb? That seemed pretty fair to me.

I just saw 8s and 9s from everyone EXCEPT those two.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
hey...can anyone recommend me any games that are similar (if they exist) to Seiken Densetsu 3? I've played Terranigma, which while awesome in its own right, really felt more like Zelda with levels/grinding attached.

I never tried any of the new mana games, though what I've heard of Children of Mana makes it sound terrible and I don't want to touch it.

I've played: Terranigma, Secret of Mana, Legend of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3, some of Final Fantasy Adventure.

Consoles I have: ps2, ps3, DS-lite and a pretty up to date gaming pc.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Dolphin Fetus posted:

hey...can anyone recommend me any games that are similar (if they exist) to Seiken Densetsu 3? I've played Terranigma, which while awesome in its own right, really felt more like Zelda with levels/grinding attached.

I never tried any of the new mana games, though what I've heard of Children of Mana makes it sound terrible and I don't want to touch it.

I've played: Terranigma, Secret of Mana, Legend of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3, some of Final Fantasy Adventure.

Check out Soma Bringer for DS. It was only released in Japan but has a fan translation, so you're going to have to either emulate it on the computer or use a flash cart. I didn't like it as much as SOM/SD3 but it's quite well-regarded and in the same particular vein of action RPGs.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 8, 2011

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Dolphin Fetus posted:

You don't want to play any of the newer Mana games. They ruined the franchise forever with the PS2's Dawn of Mana. I don't remember anything about Children of Mana so by all rights that was terrible too.

SD3 has the best game in the series and will probably stay that way for a long time. :smith:

On the PS2: Shining Force Neo and Shining Force EXA are both party-based action RPGs. They're loot heavy dungeon crawlers. I personally enjoyed both of them even though they're not "proper" Shining Force games. Just remember to mute the voice volume to 0 if you want to keep your sanity.

On the DS: Soma Bringer is a good party-based action RPG. It was never localized, but there's a 99% complete English fan translation. Google for it or search GBAtemp.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Have you played the first Kingdom Hearts? As silly and incomprehensible as the plot is, the action and combat are pretty solid.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Gyoru posted:

I normally dislike PC gaming, mostly because my laptop is not built for gaming. But with my love of SaGa and this being 75% off, I figured I could at least give the demo a whirl and see if my machine can handle it without emitting a death rattle. After a couple of hours of tweeking and playing around, I will definitely be buying this game and cursing your soul forever for pointing out it was on sale. Goodbye, free time!

EDIT: drat, Steam makes this process pretty drat easy. It makes me wanna browse the catalog and see what else I can get my hands on...

Captain Vittles fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 9, 2011

Kaelitz
Jan 30, 2009
I know it's been mentioned in the thread earlier, but with the topic of the Steam daily deals happening, it's worth noting that Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga is also on a daily deal $19.99, down 50% from its regular price of $39.99. This is the same savings as two weekends ago when it was the weekend deal, so if you missed out then, get it now.

It's a bloody fun as hell game. I've sunk about 8 hours into it and I've only just gotten past the very beginning area and gotten a bigger jump now that I've been granted the dragon powers, though I can't transform yet and that's barely anywhere into it. There are tons of little things everywhere to find and do.

If you're one of those people who swears off your main quest objective to get the little things done beforehand, and likes to search every nook and cranny, then you'll wet yourself over this game.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Not only is it one of the better third person RPGs out there right now with 40 hours of content to play through, it's probably also the only game to make the Gamebryo engine look pretty. That, ladies and gentlemen, it's an accomplishment.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Fallout 3 has a Steam sale for :10bux:. Is it worth getting if I liked New Vegas?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Don't see why not. Sure, FO3 is $10 good. Hell, I've never finished it (and probably never will) and got it when it came out in 08 and still think I got my money's worth.

Plus the GotY edition that comes with all the DLCs? That's like... the entire FO3 game for the price of one FO3 DLC on XBox Live.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Sam. posted:

Fallout 3 has a Steam sale for :10bux:. Is it worth getting if I liked New Vegas?

Definitely worth it. Even if you don't like the stock game for some reason, the Fallout 3 modding community is huge and incredibly active. It's far more active than even the New Vegas one right now by a very, very large margin.

Plus you need to own FO3 to use any FO3 in FNV type mods, of which I believe are getting pretty damned close to being nearly perfected.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
All right, I got FO3, though with the speed of my connection WW3 might as well happen before it finishes downloading.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

I'm an hour into The Last Remnant and I already hate Rush's guts. He's just a perfect storm of :downs: and :smug:.

Does he ever get any less awful?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Troffen posted:

I'm an hour into The Last Remnant and I already hate Rush's guts. He's just a perfect storm of :downs: and :smug:.

Sounds on the par for a jRPG (some would say Square-Enix?) protagonist.

Have you tried switching the voices to Japanese? Might make it easier to swallow.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Finally getting my poo poo together in The Witcher 2, beforehand I killed an endrega queen with a normal sword, now I killed it with a silver one! Sometimes however quests are really vague, or don't give you any direction and just say "Find X" with no way points, or hints in the journal.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Troffen posted:

He's all right. He's not the worst jRPG main but he's not the best either. He just shows a lot of concern for his sister though you do see him mature a bit as they come to depend on his skills throughout the story.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Sucks that you don't have a PSP, because I'd recommend Ys7 if you did. That'd probably be just what you're looking for.

Weren't they supposed to eventually do a PC port of Ys7? Or was that just rumors?

Drunken Butterfly
Jan 6, 2011

NO SWEETS!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Sucks that you don't have a PSP, because I'd recommend Ys7 if you did. That'd probably be just what you're looking for.

Weren't they supposed to eventually do a PC port of Ys7? Or was that just rumors?

No clue, but god I loved Ys7. Ys:The Ark of Napishtim is a good alternative and it's on the ps2.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Ys: Oath in Felghana is another really good one. PC, in Japanese, with a fan translation.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

Ys: Oath in Felghana is another really good one. PC, in Japanese, with a fan translation.

And XSEED's released the PSP version, on disc and PSN, with a cleaned-up version of the fan translation (with aid from said translators, no less). If you like action-RPGs even a little, there's no reason not to get it.

Which is to say, get a PSP drat it. It's pretty much become the main RPG machine in Japan and if you don't own one you are going to miss out on a fuckton of excellent, exclusive games.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

iastudent posted:

Have you tried switching the voices to Japanese? Might make it easier to swallow.
They really had some odd choices for VAs in the English version for whatever reason.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

SpaceDrake posted:

And XSEED's released the PSP version, on disc and PSN, with a cleaned-up version of the fan translation (with aid from said translators, no less). If you like action-RPGs even a little, there's no reason not to get it.

Which is to say, get a PSP drat it. It's pretty much become the main RPG machine in Japan and if you don't own one you are going to miss out on a fuckton of excellent, exclusive games.

Don't forget about the DS, it has just as many. Handhelds are the consoles of this generation (RPG-wise atleast).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whack
Feb 14, 2008

casual poster posted:

Handhelds are the consoles of this generation (RPG-wise atleast).

I hope this trend doesn't continue. I love RPGs but handhelds just don't do it for me so I miss out on a lot of excellent games.

Anyway,a couple months ago I linked a YouTube video of some guy sperging out over the way people use the JRPG term. He got a lot of flak for it so he made a scrpited version that is even more ridiculous and earnest than the last one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgxQSK4ff6A

Most people probably won't give a poo poo about this, but laughing at people like this is a guilty pleasure of mine and I wanted to hear goons take on it.