Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

poptart_fairy posted:

If you have high martial arts it becomes a fullblown headslam. Obsidian. :allears:

Likewise, if you have high tech skills, Mike does all the hacking and decrypting work you do at the safehouses by himself. I think your martial arts skill even affects how you take out Shaheed's bodyguard on the bridge in Saudi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

poptart_fairy posted:

If you have high martial arts it becomes a fullblown headslam. Obsidian. :allears:

Wait what's this? Even cutscene asskickings are influenced by your stats?!

TFG:aaaaa:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Crappy Jack posted:

You think Mike's gonna settle for just punching a guy in the face? If you want Leland to get some comeuppance, it's safe to say there are plenty of options for you to enjoy.

As long as it's not predicated on my pissing him off. The best I've been able to do is keep him at neutral. I just keep picking the wrong options :( Dissing Omen was good for a -1 though :smug:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Chasiubao posted:

As long as it's not predicated on my pissing him off. The best I've been able to do is keep him at neutral. I just keep picking the wrong options :( Dissing Omen was good for a -1 though :smug:

Basically, you can't get Leland to hate you. You'll understand why when you get to the end and see what he's been up to. Leland's only concerned with the bottom line, and even though it's loving up his business, he's still impressed by Mike.

Besides, it's not like Mike could possibly be intentionally playing to that in order to get Leland to let his guard down, right? I mean, surely a guy that Leland likes wouldn't, say, bash his head into the table the second Leland gets too close, right? Generally speaking, getting somebody to like you in no way closes you off from completely dicking them over; in fact, it's usually the best way to get them to drop their guard.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Zorak posted:

Also what did I "do wrong" that I never ever encountered or even heard anything about Westridge after Saudi? Like even in the complex I never ran into him which is :???:

Same with my playthrough; at the final mission debriefing, it just said he had "escaped and possibly gone into hiding", which I found disappointing. I know that you fight him if you take the Halbech route, but still, he was the first character you meet and felt set up to be a major one, kind of irked me that I never even got to quiz him a bit.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Crappy Jack posted:

Likewise, if you have high tech skills, Mike does all the hacking and decrypting work you do at the safehouses by himself.

You have got to be kidding me.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Fag Boy Jim posted:

You have got to be kidding me.

Mina . . . :ohdear:

Parselmouth
Feb 4, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Zorak posted:

Also what did I "do wrong" that I never ever encountered or even heard anything about Westridge after Saudi? Like even in the complex I never ran into him which is :???:

Regarding this, Westridge disappears depending on how you play. It's in his dossier but basically he's had enough spy play and likes to sit in the background managing people. If things go south (like if it looks like you get the upper hand and are going to expose Halbech/Alpha Protocol) he'll disappear. On your next play through you should side against Alpha Protocol/the US Government (maybe by siding with Al-Samad). You'll hear a lot more from him then.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Parselmouth posted:

Regarding this, Westridge disappears depending on how you play. It's in his dossier but basically he's had enough spy play and likes to sit in the background managing people. If things go south (like if it looks like you get the upper hand and are going to expose Halbech/Alpha Protocol) he'll disappear. On your next play through you should side against Alpha Protocol/the US Government (maybe by siding with Al-Samad). You'll hear a lot more from him then.

I was against Alpha Protocol/Halbech, but told Shaheed I wouldn't betray the US. Would he have showed up if I had agreed with Shaheed's offer?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 7 minutes!

THE PWNER posted:

I was against Alpha Protocol/Halbech, but told Shaheed I wouldn't betray the US. Would he have showed up if I had agreed with Shaheed's offer?

Seems like, yeah. I never did it myself aside from in my psycho run though.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

THE PWNER posted:

Yes, he would have. I can confirm this. Hell, even if agree but still kill Shaheed it'll happen. It's how you get the Judge/Jury achievement.

Parselmouth
Feb 4, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

THE PWNER posted:

Yes. I'm there are other scenarios where he shows up too. I don't actually know how many endings there are. Per his dossier I think he only shows up if you end up threatening the United States.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

Yes, he would have. I can confirm this. Hell, even if agree but still kill Shaheed it'll happen. It's how you get the Judge/Jury achievement.

Yeah it all depends if you leave him alive in the first hub.

Near the end of the game you have the option either keep him as a ally or decide to kill him off since he's on of Al-Samad's more effective leaders. Leaving him alive means Al-Samad's terrorism sprees get more dangerous in the middle east.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Which mission in Moscow so Sie turn up in? Or does it not matter what order I do them?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Moscow Railyard.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jose posted:

Which mission in Moscow so Sie turn up in? Or does it not matter what order I do them?

she always shows up in trainyard mission.

Sort of helps to do Rome first since she gets really excited when you tell her about killing off Marburg since they have a bad rivalry.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I managed to beat Marburg but didn't kill him and now he loves me. Think I'm on +9

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You'll lose rep with Sie due to that, I believe, but being RAWR DOM more than compensates for it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

You'll lose rep with Sie due to that, I believe, but being RAWR DOM more than compensates for it.

probably the better path since the only reward for getting Sie to like you is getting badly raped at the end.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

etalian posted:

probably the better path since the only reward for getting Sie to like you is getting badly raped at the end.

The best part is that Westridge was (possibly) watching. "I bet it smells like tuna and cat piss in there.".

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

GetWellGamers posted:

Wait what's this? Even cutscene asskickings are influenced by your stats?!

TFG:aaaaa:

You know the bridge guy in Saudi Arabia? Try it with shitloads of martial arts. :smug: (You may need a stealth approach on this too, I'm not sure.)

edit: Man I hope this becomes an encore sale. There's so many newly minted AP evangelists. I bet a lot more people will try it if others in the steam thread are like "okay I was skeptical as gently caress BUT HOLY poo poo THIS loving GAME"

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 9, 2011

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Chasiubao posted:

I better get to punch Leland's stupid :smug: face in at the end of the game :mad:

You really get to go to town on him later on in the game even though it means missing out on some more his villain tell-all since he can't talk too well when you are beating the living daylights out of him.

HappiestBatman
Apr 16, 2010

The wind rises, tearing dead leaves free. Frogs croak like a cartoon car alarm. Crickets pick up the chorus. A wolf howls. I know how he feels.

\
So, I've run into a bug that's stopped me from progressing. In Rome, I saved the Jibril al-bara party for last out of the initial three missions. Everything goes well until the second part and I try to identify the guard named Peter van der Graaf. Mina doesn't say anything about him and the controls are locked in place like they're waiting for her info.

Please tell me there's a fix. I was having so much fun. :(

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nemisi posted:

The best part is that Westridge was (possibly) watching. "I bet it smells like tuna and cat piss in there.".

Also Mike goes out of way to completely destroy the digital recording to cover-up the whole thing.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

etalian posted:

Also Mike goes out of way to completely destroy the digital recording to cover-up the whole thing.

My play through suggested Mike had saved a copy for himself and AP can't figure out what the encrypted file is but know that he's opened it hundreds of times since.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

HappiestBatman posted:

So, I've run into a bug that's stopped me from progressing. In Rome, I saved the Jibril al-bara party for last out of the initial three missions. Everything goes well until the second part and I try to identify the guard named Peter van der Graaf. Mina doesn't say anything about him and the controls are locked in place like they're waiting for her info.

There might be a better solution, but maybe just scan the others first then shoot him?

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
This is literally the best rpg I've ever played, I feel guilty having spent so little on it. And I'm only half-way through my first playthrough :)

HappiestBatman
Apr 16, 2010

The wind rises, tearing dead leaves free. Frogs croak like a cartoon car alarm. Crickets pick up the chorus. A wolf howls. I know how he feels.

\

Nehru the Damaja posted:

There might be a better solution, but maybe just scan the others first then shoot him?

Yeah, I meant to mention that. I tried that, too. It doesn't move onto the next part, but I can at least move the scope around. That's... sort of an improvement, I guess.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Nehru the Damaja posted:

You know the bridge guy in Saudi Arabia? Try it with shitloads of martial arts. :smug: (You may need a stealth approach on this too, I'm not sure.)

edit: Man I hope this becomes an encore sale. There's so many newly minted AP evangelists. I bet a lot more people will try it if others in the steam thread are like "okay I was skeptical as gently caress BUT HOLY poo poo THIS loving GAME"

Maybe Sega will read this thread and give us a sequel. Though judging by the fact more people are playing outdated versions of Football Manager on steam than AP despite it recently being $7, maybe not.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I love that I can go the whole game getting Leland to love me and completely gently caress him over in the last 30 seconds of the game because I don't need him.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

HappiestBatman posted:

Someone had a fix for this in the old thread but I can't seem to find it right now. IIRC there's a missing Mina audio file that it's trying to play when you ID him. First off try verifying your Steam cache, check for any missing files. If it still doesn't work, upload your savegame somewhere and post the link in the thread, I can probably play past that checkpoint and send it back.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mike the TV posted:

I love that I can go the whole game getting Leland to love me and completely gently caress him over in the last 30 seconds of the game because I don't need him.

If this is the mine in the pocket scene you're talking about, it's one of my favorites in the game. I just gave a big HOORAH what I saw what Thorton did. It's a such perfect way to gently caress a competitor over.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

One Sick Puppy posted:

The next game needs to star Steven Heck

It's going to be a rail shooter :downsrim:

HappiestBatman
Apr 16, 2010

\

Scorchy posted:

Someone had a fix for this in the old thread but I can't seem to find it right now. IIRC there's a missing Mina audio file that it's trying to play when you ID him. First off try verifying your Steam cache, check for any missing files. If it still doesn't work, upload your savegame somewhere and post the link in the thread, I can probably play past that checkpoint and send it back.

Just tried verifying and it didn't work, unfortunately. So here's a link to my save file

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I just finished Saudi Arabi and was prompted to select a class so I went with Operative to customize my skills, however I can't progress passed the skill allocation screen. The "Done" button is unclickable. :( Help!

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

HappiestBatman posted:

Just tried verifying and it didn't work, unfortunately. So here's a link to my save file

Here's your save file back. Rename it to the original savegame name, then dropping back into the folder should work. He's a Dutch flower baron btw :).

Valen
Oct 1, 2009

Wildtortilla posted:

I just finished Saudi Arabi and was prompted to select a class so I went with Operative to customize my skills, however I can't progress passed the skill allocation screen. The "Done" button is unclickable. :( Help!

Click the name of the skills you want to unlock more open pips in. That got me too. :downs:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Valen posted:

Click the name of the skills you want to unlock more open pips in. That got me too. :downs:

I've allocated all my points and I have one remaining I can't use.

Nevermind, I solved it. You have to click "Select Skill" to highlight the skills you want in red. That's goofy.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 9, 2011

HappiestBatman
Apr 16, 2010

\

Scorchy posted:

Here's your save file back. Rename it to the original savegame name, then dropping back into the folder should work. He's a Dutch flower baron btw :).

Thanks a ton, man. I owe you one. drat flower baron was my nemesis for a minute there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valen
Oct 1, 2009

Wildtortilla posted:

I've allocated all my points and I have one remaining I can't use.

You don't click the pips themselves, click the skill name to highlight it. Click "Pistols" instead of the pip for "Chain Shot" for example". You can highlight thee and the Done button should light up.

edit: You got it. And yeah, that seems goofy to me too. They should have explained that better.

• Locked thread