Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Duckman2008 posted:

They don't necessarily have the capacity to handle it though, that's my point.
Back to your original question, Duckman, assuming they really are having capacity issues I also think throttling would be the best solution for consumers. But in addition to throttling (most likely) netting them less money, there's also a potential PR problem -- if people start getting throttled, it's an admission that you have a capacity problem. Going to tiers and talking about "heavy users" "carrying their weight" allows you to spin the change as proactive, preventing a performance problem before it exists. Just looking out for you customers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Duckman2008 posted:

They don't necessarily have the capacity to handle it though, that's my point. 700MHz is great on building penetration, but Verizon splits it with AT&T and I think one other. Right now VZ is obviously handling it mostly ok, but long term would still be questionable.

And goodness, it's not like Verzion makes 10 billion in profit per year and thus have a huge war chest if they ever needed to upgrade capacity... :ohdear:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Kyrosiris posted:

And goodness, it's not like Verzion makes 10 billion in profit per year and thus have a huge war chest if they ever needed to upgrade capacity... :ohdear:

See response below, but it isn't about cost, Verizon only has so much capacity at 700MHz. It doesn't matter if you have the money to build more towers, if you max out on your spectral assets at that frequency well you're SoL. To give you general numbers:

Verizon: 40MHz of spectrum
AT&T: 40MHz of spectrum
Sprint: 120 MHz of spectrum.

Am I biased because I sell Sprint? Probably, but having a lot less spectrum with a ton more users means something has to give. I'll be the first to say I figured Verizon speeds would have slowed down by now and from what i understand they haven't, but to Verizon's credit they always seem adamant about having the coverage/speeds they advertise, which leads to:

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Back to your original question, Duckman, assuming they really are having capacity issues I also think throttling would be the best solution for consumers. But in addition to throttling (most likely) netting them less money, there's also a potential PR problem -- if people start getting throttled, it's an admission that you have a capacity problem. Going to tiers and talking about "heavy users" "carrying their weight" allows you to spin the change as proactive, preventing a performance problem before it exists. Just looking out for you customers.

Interesting thought process on the PR aspect. Its interesting how Verizon's marketing is so heavily on being the best network, and the steps they could be taking to get there.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Hamburglar posted:

Verizon actually sells a signal booster. It's made by Samsung and it's great. Actually, it's more of a signal "maker" than a booster. It hooks up to your computer's router and actually makes calls through that instead. I went from not being able to making a single call in my house to never having a dropped call ever.

Only thing that sucks about it is it doesn't do data at all, so while you'll get 5 bars, it will be CDMA only. Don't expect to get text messages in a timely fashion (and forget about MMS).

a) He wanted a booster so he didn't have to get cable internet so the signal extender would do him no good since he doesn't have a source of internet to hook it up to.

b) The current version of the signal extender does 3G data.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Duckman2008 posted:

See response below, but it isn't about cost, Verizon only has so much capacity at 700MHz. It doesn't matter if you have the money to build more towers, if you max out on your spectral assets at that frequency well you're SoL. To give you general numbers:

Verizon: 40MHz of spectrum
AT&T: 40MHz of spectrum
Sprint: 120 MHz of spectrum.

Am I biased because I sell Sprint? Probably, but having a lot less spectrum with a ton more users means something has to give. I'll be the first to say I figured Verizon speeds would have slowed down by now and from what i understand they haven't, but to Verizon's credit they always seem adamant about having the coverage/speeds they advertise, which leads to:

Interesting thought process on the PR aspect. Its interesting how Verizon's marketing is so heavily on being the best network, and the steps they could be taking to get there.

Its 40MHZ coast to coast, and all in the same band, AND thats just 700mhz LTE, AND they OWN it. Sprint's is all over the spectrum, most of it isn't adjacent, so no help with speeds there, much of it is over 2GHZ which is awful for mobile communications, and they only have as little as 10 MHZ in some places, and they don't even have 100% control of it all.

The reason for the tiers on Verizon is simple, out of touch, greedy corporate types decided upon them, nothing to do with bandwidth limitations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Keep in mind as well that Verizon is eventually going to phase out their CDMA networks. There's nothing stopping them from lighting up LTE on additional bands when that happens.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

AppleCobbler posted:

It's like they decided long term contracting opportunity wasn't worth a quick cash grab. I know of two people personally who switched from AT&T on the 6th to get unlimited data.
We did this too, but for more mercenary reasons. Our five-line plan's contract with AT&T expired last month, and we cancelled to sip on unlimited LTE while the sipping was still good. Most of us have actually been fine to consciously limit our usage to less than 200 MB, thanks to abundant Wi-Fi at home/work/restaurants. I don't really suspect that having unlimited data is going to become an indispensible part of my life since I don't stream baseball games in my car or whatever, but since we're paying Verizon prices anyway for the next two years I'm definitely going to try to get my money's worth.

I think the problem here is pretty obviously not tiers, it's the same problem we've always had with Verizon. It's that their tier pricing is a stratospherically poor value and is cheerfully out of touch with reality. The lack of a $10-15 200ish MB option means a Verizon smartphone is still a lovely value for light users even in a capped world, and asking thirty bucks for an amount of data you can blast through in a couple hours in addition to banning employer discounts from data plans is disgusting (e.g. for my company, AT&T's $25 plan is actually only $19).

Despite some otherwise sensationalist complaining, I think bull3964 has the right idea about waiting to churn until they finally revoke unlimited data. That's absolutely what we'll be doing, unless they strategically wait to do it until after the T-Mobile buyout such that data pricing is raised to the point of being identical. Churning pre-emptively is a pretty bad idea. Show them that you'll give them money until they actually take away your data.

I'm surprised that people think switching to Sprint is a good idea. They've been a poor choice since O.G. SERO was taken away. They force you to pay for messaging, they haphazardly slap you with device-specific fees (i.e. "cool phone tax"), and what good is unlimited WiMax data when it doesn't work indoors because it's on the 2500 band?

kbar fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 8, 2011

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
Anyone have experience with the $30/mo unlimited 4GLTE tethering on Verizon? Supposedly you can still get locked in if you have an unlimited data wireless plan, and I'm trying to figure out if it's truly unlimited or not. Like, could I sit in my apartment and tether my rear end off?

MY ABACUS! fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 8, 2011

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Any employee happen to know why we got a $6.00 credit on our bill? The Adjustment section shows this, which I've never seen before:

Promo Prorate PDA-Android for xxx-xxx-xxxx on 07/03/11

07/03 is the last day of our billing cycle. The number listed is the primary line, and $6.00 happens to be the same as our 20% feature discount on that line -- but the feature discount is already applied to the bill. There is nothing unusual about our previous four or five bills, either.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

What is the difference between Verizon and Sprint services in terms of data and calling reception? My wife and I are considering switching from Verizon to Sprint but I would like to stay with Verizon so I need selling points (or points to agree with her if it would be better to go with Sprint)

Edit: Has anyone here tried out Pre-owned phones through Verizon? Any info on the certified pre-owned set up would be greatly appreciated.

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 8, 2011

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

New to Verizon, got a Palm Pixi Plus off Amazon. I can make outgoing calls fine, but certain people cannot call me. Right now I've narrowed it down to just T-Mobile, but it could be ATT or Sprint as well. Verizon lines and all the landlines I've tried can get through.

The error that callers get is "All circuits are busy please try again later DE-35555"

At the Verizon store they had me call *73 but that didn't work. Then they said it was T-Mobile's network and they couldn't do anything.

Any ideas?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Thunderbolt OTA leaked tonight. It's not GB(gently caress off, Big Red) but it will fix the reboots and GPS. Also it's apparently filled with more bloatware bullshit so yay.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

All Verizon Phones (Samsung Fascinate) should work flawlessly with Google Voice, correct?

It's not working for me.

Slow and Serious
Mar 20, 2007

It runs ok.
I currently have a Droid X but I want to also have a white iPhone 4 to change it up. I've done some searching on the web to see if it's possible to switch between phones quickly by myself. I get some results saying you can like here and here. Just dial *228 and listen to the options.

I have my eyes on a few Verizon iPhones with clean ESNs so I'm just wondering if it really is as easy as those posts make it seem, if I have to call Verizon prior to doing this, or if there will be any huge problems besides contacts/texts being out of sync?

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

Slow and Serious posted:

I currently have a Droid X but I want to also have a white iPhone 4 to change it up. I've done some searching on the web to see if it's possible to switch between phones quickly by myself. I get some results saying you can like here and here. Just dial *228 and listen to the options.

I have my eyes on a few Verizon iPhones with clean ESNs so I'm just wondering if it really is as easy as those posts make it seem, if I have to call Verizon prior to doing this, or if there will be any huge problems besides contacts/texts being out of sync?

I've done it a few times. Every once in awhile it would error out and I'd have to call up Verizon but that would still only take a couple minutes to finish.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Tab8715 posted:

All Verizon Phones (Samsung Fascinate) should work flawlessly with Google Voice, correct?

It's not working for me.

In all honesty, I haven't been able to get a single phone to work with Google Voice. Not my Craptivate, not my Atrix, and not my Thunderbolt. Every time I switched from My Carrier to GV, it gave me a failure.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Well got the TB OTA up and running. GPS is definitely fixed, it's incredibly fast. I'm sure reboots are fixed as well as rooted people have basically been running this OTA for weeks now and they said it worked for them.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

What is the difference between Verizon and Sprint services in terms of data and calling reception? My wife and I are considering switching from Verizon to Sprint but I would like to stay with Verizon so I need selling points (or points to agree with her if it would be better to go with Sprint)

Edit: Has anyone here tried out Pre-owned phones through Verizon? Any info on the certified pre-owned set up would be greatly appreciated.

Verizon does have the best reception nationwide. Especially if you go to rural areas, Verizon is most likely to have coverage. Same goes for having some kind of internet, and there is no doubt they have now surpassed sprint on 4g coverage and will have the best 4g coverage (and probably fastest too ).

Sprint is cheaper and puts all value in one. If you use call text and internet, for most people sprint has good rates. Sprint offers roaming off verizon where they dont have coverage, so in theory it is the same coverage but cheaper. Not necessarily the case, I would say that depends on where you live.

3g internet speeds are the same. 4g verizon kills sprint 4g, for new smartphone users sprints big thing is unlimited internet.

My main thing would be do you have smartphones on verizon yet? If you do, you have unlimited internet and it is a no brainer to stay with verizon and stay grandfathered. If you do not, well then weigh the costs and value difference, see which one is better.

Kalibar is mostly on the money with the point that the data caps are just poorly priced (i still think they should be throttled). Personally, sprint 4g in nashville mossssstly works fine, so I dont have a lot of problems with 2500mhz. But I know other cities have that problem, so it is a valid point.

bull3964 posted:

Keep in mind as well that Verizon is eventually going to phase out their CDMA networks. There's nothing stopping them from lighting up LTE on additional bands when that happens.

A good point, all I would question is whether current phones could read a 8000mhz lte band or if they would not be able to pick up the new frequency? And if I got verizons 3g frequency wrong I am sorry, long day.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 9, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Duckman2008 posted:

A good point, all I would question is whether current phones could read a 8000mhz lte band or if they would not be able to pick up the new frequency? And if I got verizons 3g frequency wrong I am sorry, long day.

Verizon is operating 700mhz LTE, 850/1900mhz CDMA right now. Their LTE products at the moment are only capable of 700mhz as far as I know, but that's something that can easily change in future phones. 700mhz will be there no matter what, newer devices would be able to utilize 850/1900mhz if verizon decides that they want to use that spectrum for LTE. There's not really much point in building those extra bands in now as it will be more than 2 years before the complete switchover to LTE would happen.

It would be silly for them to not use that spectrum once they phase over completely.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I have a pre owned droid x. As far as I could tell it was a brand new phone, and it came with a bigger memory card. Great deal as far as I can tell.

Daspied
Jul 2, 2009
Is there any way to get on the unlimited data plan? maybe through a reseller or there telephone, any ideas?

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Daspied posted:

Is there any way to get on the unlimited data plan? maybe through a reseller or there telephone, any ideas?
Find someone leaving Verizon who has unlimited data and do an assumption of liability on their account?

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Duckman2008 posted:

There still don't have a lot of LTE users yet. The last shareholders meeting they had they pretty much stated that they had around 600,000 users countrywide, so give a few months and the unlimited rush, let's say its 800,000. That still is a pretty slim chance that enough users will be in a area to cause a slowdown.

Sprint had that spectrum yes and not a lot of phone/myfi users, but clearwire is also using it and had six million users on it, and can't afford to scale it which is why it's slowed.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.

waffle iron posted:

Find someone leaving Verizon who has unlimited data and do an assumption of liability on their account?

Unlimited falls off when an assumption of liability is processed.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Seriously? That's absurd.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

kalibar posted:

Seriously? That's absurd.

Not really. Verizon would like everyone to be on tiered data plans--they're not going to bend over backwards to let people transfer around their unlimited plans forever.

I can't believe people are asking how to get unlimited plans now, after like 10 months of advanced notice that it was eventually coming and at least a month of knowing that July 7th was the cutoff.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

maduin posted:

I can't believe people are asking how to get unlimited plans now, after like 10 months of advanced notice that it was eventually coming and at least a month of knowing that July 7th was the cutoff.
So first, someone is always going to ask, no reason to get upset over that.

Second, while we've known for months that it was going to happen and have known for at least a few weeks the exact conditions and day under which tiered plans would be dropped, there's folks who don't routinely visit IYG who are just now finding out, and I'm not going to fault them for that.

I'd like to think that if I stop in AI someday to ask an "obvious" car question, that I wouldn't get horribly flamed for it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

maduin posted:

Not really.

The only way it's not absurd is if you're a Verizon shareholder or sycophant.

Daspied
Jul 2, 2009

maduin posted:

Because it's possible for everyone to visit the Verizon store in the middle of the week? Two days after they confirmed it.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

maduin posted:

Not really. Verizon would like everyone to be on tiered data plans--they're not going to bend over backwards to let people transfer around their unlimited plans forever.
It's not about new people signing up, it's about people who already signed contracts. It's universally understood that you can transfer the responsibility of a contract to someone else in the event you don't want it anymore and know somebody who does. It's loving bullshit for Verizon to decide that they'll be removing the desirable characteristics of a signed agreement while fighting tooth and nail to uphold said "agreement" if the contractholder exercises his or her contractual right to transfer liability.

Is it written in Verizon's ToS that "we will start loving with your agreement if you change financial responsibility"?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kalibar posted:

It's not about new people signing up, it's about people who already signed contracts. It's universally understood that you can transfer the responsibility of a contract to someone else in the event you don't want it anymore and know somebody who does. It's loving bullshit for Verizon to decide that they'll be removing the desirable characteristics of a signed agreement while fighting tooth and nail to uphold said "agreement" if the contractholder exercises his or her contractual right to transfer liability.

Is it written in Verizon's ToS that "we will start loving with your agreement if you change financial responsibility"?

Verizon has their positives, but bending over backwards to customers is not one of their known traits. It was a logical thought and a bummer, but I'm not exactly surprised Verizon is keeping a loophole closed. I will even go as far as saying the positive is you won't have assholes selling grandfathered unlimited internet Verizon plans for $xxx dollars. Same reason Sprint charges the $10 a month data plan even if it is a Palm Centro, Instinct or Windows Mobile 6.x phone, they want the stuff to die out and they don't want a "black market."

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

You've got a pretty fuckin' weird definition of "loophole."

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

Same reason Sprint charges the $10 a month data plan even if it is a Palm Centro, Instinct or Windows Mobile 6.x phone, they want the stuff to die out and they don't want a "black market."
But you can still do a ToL on an on-contract pre-smartphone-tax Optimus or something right?

I can understand Verizon stripping unlimited data during ToL for off-contract accounts, but that's a pretty hosed up thing to do on-contract. Kalibar has a point there.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

But you can still do a ToL on an on-contract pre-smartphone-tax Optimus or something right?

I can understand Verizon stripping unlimited data during ToL for off-contract accounts, but that's a pretty hosed up thing to do on-contract. Kalibar has a point there.

I would think so on point one, yes. I honestly have yet to have that come up.

I'm not defending them on it, I'm just saying I don't know why anyone is surprised? Verizon has a history of dicking over customers, as do cell carriers in general. Maybe I'm being overtly pessimistic?

decoy octopus
Oct 26, 2005

You fat Loco, you fat
Messed up is buying a Droid 2 off contract to replace a broken smartphone and taking it to a verizon store to activate and having them switch you off unlimited data even though your aren't really changing anything but your hardware. Happened to a customer who came in today.

It's just going to get worse from here honestly. Alltel people got the worst deal, if you had a decent priced plan from Alltel and wanted to upgrade you had to change your plan to a verizon one, and if you had say 4 phones that were alltel phones and only wanted to upgrade one you had to upgrade them all

I mean I'm thankful for the data plan change because our sales went through the roof but I feel for people who are on Verizon who pay the same price for less

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

decoy octopus posted:

Messed up is buying a Droid 2 off contract to replace a broken smartphone and taking it to a verizon store to activate and having them switch you off unlimited data even though your aren't really changing anything but your hardware. Happened to a customer who came in today.
Could/did you fix it for them?

decoy octopus
Oct 26, 2005

You fat Loco, you fat

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Could/did you fix it for them?

Nothing I could really do for them and with my Verizon rep (The only one with any kind of power to help me in those situations) is on vacation but while she was upset she kinda just took it and thanked me for trying. It was weird

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

decoy octopus posted:

Messed up is buying a Droid 2 off contract to replace a broken smartphone and taking it to a verizon store to activate and having them switch you off unlimited data even though your aren't really changing anything but your hardware.
I thought hardware activation (or even subsidized upgrade) wasn't supposed to do that. Mistake I presume?

I assume if this is one of those "oops! can't change it back" scenarios that ETFs on said contract are waived at that point. At least in the sense of "I'm not paying it" and disputing any credit dings that might come out of it.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

decoy octopus posted:

Nothing I could really do for them and with my Verizon rep (The only one with any kind of power to help me in those situations) is on vacation but while she was upset she kinda just took it and thanked me for trying. It was weird
Are you a corporate rep, or do you work for an indirect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

decoy octopus
Oct 26, 2005

You fat Loco, you fat

kalibar posted:

Are you a corporate rep, or do you work for an indirect?

Indirect

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I thought hardware activation (or even subsidized upgrade) wasn't supposed to do that. Mistake I presume?

I assume if this is one of those "oops! can't change it back" scenarios that ETFs on said contract are waived at that point. At least in the sense of "I'm not paying it" and disputing any credit dings that might come out of it.

She went to the corporate store and I assume it's an oopsie but I feel that it was someone dicking her over. I say dicking her over because if you need to swap equipment just a *228 did it but if they did it through the system there's the chance they changed her data plan

• Locked thread