Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

the_american_dream posted:

OK I need some help from any of you guys who are pretty good at stealth, goin on a "No Alarms" unless scripted run

Taipei: On the bugging the warehouse mission, just made it onto the rooftop with the 2 patrolling ground guards and the 4 on the ledges. I can get the 2 patrollers and the guard on the close ledge immediately to the left, but can not find a working strategy for the 3 by the dish. I get one on the edge and the other somehow sees everytime. I have first level chainshot, silent run, and shadow agent (started on recruit). Seems the only way to get any of the guards is with chainshot but it doesnt cool down fast enough to get the alerted guard who sees. Any advice would be appreciated.

Look how naturally violence comes to you. You're not a man. You're a malfunctioning piece of multimillion dollar military hardware.

Have you tried not harming them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Look how naturally violence comes to you. You're not a man. You're a malfunctioning piece of multimillion dollar military hardware.

Indeed. The answer to your question, the_american_dream, is Remote Hack. You see an objective surrounded by hostiles you need to ask yourself: what, me worry?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Telamon posted:

Indeed. The answer to your question, the_american_dream, is Remote Hack. You see an objective surrounded by hostiles you need to ask yourself: what, me worry?

Or if he's one of the smelly unfortunates who never invested in sabotage, shadow operative and an EMP will suffice as a brutish and inelegant solution. But really, that whole mission is better with Remote Hack.

Thing a lot of people don't know every time I post it: You can use remote hack on security cameras. They'll still pan back and forth but they won't set off alarms when you're caught in them.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

You can stealth kill all the guys on the ground, and crit shot the guys on the roof. For the guys near the copter, hit the one on the right while the one on the left is turned away.

Also if you want to be super :smug:, do the whole mission non-lethal and get out without being detected. Also, make sure you plant 6 bugs, and then once you get out undetected, bluff Albatross. You impress him, the site stays up, and you get ongoing intel dumps.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Thing a lot of people don't know every time I post it: You can use remote hack on security cameras. They'll still pan back and forth but they won't set off alarms when you're caught in them.

:aaaaa:

DancingKittycat
Jun 1, 2007

Bis 34 war i Sozialist, wor aa ka Beruf
I already posted a few pages back, but nobody seemed to know a solution.

My game crashes in Rome, protecting the transmitter in the ruins. It happens reliably after killing a few enemies. Reloading an earlier save doesn't help.

Does anyone know a solution? The only suggested fix I found via googling is installing a crack (which I want to avoid + wouldn't work on Steam anyhow, I think?)

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I just beat this after doing some of Saudi and just losing interest for months and while the dialogue and ramifications of your actions are great the thing that for some reason keeps me entertained for hours is levelling up in stealth and just walking up to enemies completely invisible and taking them down one by one all right in front of another, like they don't give a single gently caress.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Only have one skill point in sabotage so no remote hack. Started as recruit and Taipei was the first place I went out of Saudi Arabia. Can I toss an EMP or am I basically screwed for not having high enough level

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

the_american_dream posted:

Only have one skill point in sabotage so no remote hack. Started as recruit and Taipei was the first place I went out of Saudi Arabia. Can I toss an EMP or am I basically screwed for not having high enough level

Track the patrolling guys on the ground. You can get each one without being seen. There's a guard on the upper level behind where you start, in the corner. Put your back to a vent so the ground patrols don't see you, and crit shot him. Then hit the ground guys, then crit shot the right roof guard while the left one has his back turned, then crit shot him.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Just beat the game. Thanks for getting me to purchase it, thread.

Heavy spoilers on my runthrough:
Played as professional rookie, apprehended Nasri and tried to apprehend Saheed but blew him up, went to Taipei (saved the president but not the riots), then Moscow, and ultimately let Madison die in Rome to stop the bombs. Thought everyone who I had contacted would come to help me at the final mission, so chose SEI as my handler (expected Albatross and Heck to just also show up since I contacted them in missions, so I'm sort of sad I didn't see the result of Albatross). Didn't know where the gently caress Mina was in the final mission, found out that Scarlet was the sniper then she kills Leland. Turned Marburg on Leland. I think I had sex with everyone possible, which was Mina, Madison, Scarlet and SEI, and spared pretty much everyone I could.

I see that Parker can be turned, and Madison's his daughter. Crazy stuff. To be fair I didn't even meet Parker until killing him in the final mission.

So preparing for my playthrough as a veteran. What order should I do the missions (and what decisions do you guys suggest) to blow my mind for a second playthrough? Is there any good reason to make other characters absolutely loathe you? Should I be a snarky veteran who does Rome-Moscow-Taipei?

edit:Oh hey looks like perhaps I missed a scarlet room as well as the mina room well awesome no not awesome

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jul 10, 2011

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I'm doing the last mission now, and I managed to turn Marburg and Parker. TFG.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Another solution is to use the noisemaker to get one of them to jump from the elevated position he's in, I believe.

The Viper
Oct 4, 2009
In Rome: I saved Madison instead of the people. Then she left me. I'm roleplaying the suave but professional agent who looks like he has it all under control but inside he's really hurting about letting those people die. Now he has an obsession with not killing anyone. Even folks who are letting rip at him with an assault rifle get a tranq dart to the neck. The incident in Rome didn't make him numb, it made him MORE empathetic. At some stage I expect this will interfere with the mission.

This loving game.

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011
This loving game

Just had recruit playthrough, and in the last mission I chose to ally with Halbech. Its so amazing how the game makes you feel there are no wrong choices, as looking back Yancy Westridge is an even bigger oval office than Leland. Leland just has a kickin rad pompadour like his idol Elvis, while Westridge is some hypocritical fuckwit who has no compunctions throwing family-less duty driven rookies to the wolves in the name of national security. In my veteran playthrough, I reckon I'll ally with Halbech and take out both Leland AND Westridge.

Also, has anyone commented on the music for the game? It fits the spy feel so well. The brass horns make me think I'm in some Bond film (or The Incredibles).

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Kaizer88 posted:

while Westridge is some hypocritical fuckwit who has no compunctions throwing family-less duty driven rookies to the wolves in the name of national security.

You sure about that :ssh:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
How do I put points in the last two pips of a skill? I just leveled, have 10 AP, but can't put them into pistols to max out the skill.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Kaizer88 posted:

Also, has anyone commented on the music for the game? It fits the spy feel so well. The brass horns make me think I'm in some Bond film (or The Incredibles).

Interesting thing: Remember breakbeat producer BT? He did Never Gonna Come Back Down around 2000ish?

He did the game's music.

Maybe that explains the five seconds or so of dubsteppy stuff before it breaks into traditional sounding movie score.

Wildtortilla posted:

How do I put points in the last two pips of a skill? I just leveled, have 10 AP, but can't put them into pistols to max out the skill.

They unlock at a later level -- like 14 or 15. Remember that if you don't want to, you don't have to spend AP right away. You can save it for when those open up, or just when you find a situation where you'd really like an extra in sabotage, stealth etc, .

Billy Bob FORTRAN
Nov 4, 2007

*THIS IS*
*HOW A*
*SOLDIER*
*~LIVES~*

:qqsay:
"That's big talk coming from someone dressed like a seat cover."

:drat:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kaizer88 posted:

This loving game

Just had recruit playthrough, and in the last mission I chose to ally with Halbech. Its so amazing how the game makes you feel there are no wrong choices, as looking back Yancy Westridge is an even bigger oval office than Leland. Leland just has a kickin rad pompadour like his idol Elvis, while Westridge is some hypocritical fuckwit who has no compunctions throwing family-less duty driven rookies to the wolves in the name of national security. In my veteran playthrough, I reckon I'll ally with Halbech and take out both Leland AND Westridge.

If course going the seriously join Halbech route is sort of hard since it takes lots of self-control to avoid trolling Leland or using him as a good punching bag.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

This one?
That definitely fits the spirit of things, but I was referring to a screenshot of an assault rifle from the game with some mods on it.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

etalian posted:

If course going the seriously join Halbech route is sort of hard since it takes lots of self-control to avoid trolling Leland or using him as a good punching bag.

I got 15+ rep with him both playthroughs. I really enjoy manipulating him. Though on my FISTS OF PATRIOTISM run he can piss off

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

TheTatteredKing posted:

I got 15+ rep with him both playthroughs. I really enjoy manipulating him. Though on my FISTS OF PATRIOTISM run he can piss off

The best troll is playing along with him then suddenly turning on him at the very end thanks to some remote mine goodness.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

^^^^ You aren't so good with this "spoiler" thing, are you?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You sure about that :ssh:

I mean, his original plan was for Mike to get killed by the missile strike, right?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

etalian posted:

WHAT ARE SPOILERS I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THESE THINGS

For gently caress's sake.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Doc Hawkins posted:

^^^^ You aren't so good with this "spoiler" thing, are you?

I mean, his original plan was for Mike to get killed by the missile strike, right?

Don't read if you have not heard everything there is to know from Parker near the end!! The missile strike was Mina's doing iirc, and she didn't intend for it to kill Mike, but to use it to convince him that he'd have to go rogue, etc

Also RE: the music, this was my favourite track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOYac7TPZQ4

Unfortunately can't find tracks from the game in good quality.

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 10, 2011

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

THE PWNER posted:

The missile strike was Mina's doing iirc, and she didn't intend for it to kill Mike, but to use it to convince him that he'd have to go rogue, etc

Don't read this spoiler (wrt missile strike). Find out for yourself.

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

THE PWNER posted:

Don't read if you have not heard everything there is to know from Parker near the end!! The missile strike was Mina's doing iirc, and she didn't intend for it to kill Mike, but to use it to convince him that he'd have to go rogue, etc

More missile strike spoilers: I don't know if that's quite true. From the talks I've had with Mina/Parker/Leland, the missile strike was always part of the operation; Halbech wanted Alpha Protocol to find the missiles/Shadheed so they could destroy the evidence, which included the agent on site. What Mina did was cut you off from the agency - she was the one who sent out those intelligence feeds identifying Mike as a rogue agent so that he wouldn't just return to AP headquarters and be quietly executed.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Green Bean posted:

More missile strike spoilers: I don't know if that's quite true. From the talks I've had with Mina/Parker/Leland, the missile strike was always part of the operation; Halbech wanted Alpha Protocol to find the missiles/Shadheed so they could destroy the evidence, which included the agent on site. What Mina did was cut you off from the agency - she was the one who sent out those intelligence feeds identifying Mike as a rogue agent so that he wouldn't just return to AP headquarters and be quietly executed.

don't read if you didn't read the last 2 spoilers: When I spoke to Parker, I distinctly remember him saying "What about the missile strike?" followed by something about Mina. Maybe I remembered wrong.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

THE PWNER posted:

Also RE: the music, this was my favourite track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOYac7TPZQ4

Fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The mansion level was pretty awesome but it had too many naked man statues.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

THE PWNER posted:

If you have the PC version you can extract music and dialogue files using this tool.
The music is located in the upk files located in [alpha protocol dir]\apgame\cookedpc\packages\music

Regarding the missile strike I never bought into the theory that Mina was the one who launched the missiles at you. It was clearly Halbech who did that in order to destroy the evidence. Mina did however cut you off from the government and Alpha Protocol at the same time in order to get you to work for her. And if you want to feel anger at that been done to you then the game allows you to express that.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Hank Morgan posted:

Regarding the missile strike I never bought into the theory that Mina was the one who launched the missiles at you. It was clearly Halbech who did that in order to destroy the evidence. Mina did however cut you off from the government and Alpha Protocol at the same time in order to get you to work for her. And if you want to feel anger at that been done to you then the game allows you to express that.

While that might be true to an extent Leland will be confused about the missile strike, apparently not having any clue about the one aimed at Mike.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

Hank Morgan posted:

If you have the PC version you can extract music and dialogue files using this tool.
The music is located in the upk files located in [alpha protocol dir]\apgame\cookedpc\packages\music

End spoilers I thought if you contacted Parker at the end, he says that he initiated the missile strikes on orders from Halbech. But, I thought he said they didn't really want to kill you either. Westridge was probably gonna order you to vacate the area before Mina cuts him off, but you can't really know that for sure. Too bad you can't ask him about it at the end of the game if he's the boss.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
I suppose it could be argued that when Mina flagged Mike as going rogue that whomever had their finger on the missile launch button paniced. The original plan could have been to just recover the missiles, bring Mike back to the controlled enviroment of the Greybox and then destroy the evidence. When Mike was flagged as rogue they decided they had to both destroy the missiles and kill Mike.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Torsade de Pointes posted:

End spoilers I thought if you contacted Parker at the end, he says that he initiated the missile strikes on orders from Halbech. But, I thought he said they didn't really want to kill you either. Westridge was probably gonna order you to vacate the area before Mina cuts him off, but you can't really know that for sure. Too bad you can't ask him about it at the end of the game if he's the boss.

Here's what happened: Halbech wanted the missiles erased to cover up their involvement with Shaheed. Parker, being Halbech's main man in Alpha Protocol, then authorized the missile strike on Mike's location. He didn't give a poo poo about what happened to Mike; if he died, aces, if not, then they could unperson him when he got back to HQ. Mina, seeing the opportunity, instead terminated Mike's agent status immediately after the missiles struck, and coaxed him into opposing Alpha Protocol and Halbech instead.

Mina never authorized the missiles. Any confusion or whatever on Leland's part can be attributed to Parker being cagey as hell.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Hank Morgan posted:

I suppose it could be argued that when Mina flagged Mike as going rogue that whomever had their finger on the missile launch button paniced. The original plan could have been to just recover the missiles, bring Mike back to the controlled enviroment of the Greybox and then destroy the evidence. When Mike was flagged as rogue they decided they had to both destroy the missiles and kill Mike.

One thing I wonder is how the missiles get there so quickly. I would assume they couldn't launch them until you pin down the convoy in one location. Tomahawks can only fly about 500 mph. They'd have to be launching them from pretty close by to hit the convoy in that time frame.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

Here's what happened: Halbech wanted the missiles erased to cover up their involvement with Shaheed. Parker, being Halbech's main man in Alpha Protocol, then authorized the missile strike on Mike's location. He didn't give a poo poo about what happened to Mike; if he died, aces, if not, then they could unperson him when he got back to HQ. Mina, seeing the opportunity, instead terminated Mike's agent status immediately after the missiles struck, and coaxed him into opposing Alpha Protocol and Halbech instead.

Mina never authorized the missiles. Any confusion or whatever on Leland's part can be attributed to Parker being cagey as hell.

That's pretty much what I thought except for the kill you part when you get back. Parker himself says that he just wanted to observe you after you got back. He didn't really want to kill you unless he was forced into it because you are a valuable asset. Mike impressed him because Parker thought he had real low odds of succeeding before going into Saudi Arabia.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Torsade de Pointes posted:

That's pretty much what I thought except for the kill you part when you get back. Parker himself says that he just wanted to observe you after you got back. He didn't really want to kill you unless he was forced into it because you are a valuable asset. Mike impressed him because Parker thought he had real low odds of succeeding before going into Saudi Arabia.

Well, I never said "kill," though I really doubt someone like Parker would take a chance on continuing to use Mike as an asset after an event like that. He'd probably have a couple of years at the most before someone disappeared him.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm ready to play Alpha Protocol and it doesn't work :(

When I start the game I get the splash screen to choose if I want to start the game or look at the read me and what not. After clicking start game it automatically minimizes down to my task bar. When I click on it on my task bar it opens up a white box that says not responding. Haven't been able to get it work yet.

I can run this game according to Can You Run It as well, so its not that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Okay, I've been able to do pretty good with everything so far but here near the end the boss fight with the smug man-baby is complete bullshit. He does 95 damage with one shot and the constantly spawning soldiers make it impossible to get to his fortified position. The sniper encampment in the tower is not much better because he sees me just fine and I can't get but two shots in him before I drop dead. And if I get out of the sight of his death ray gun he carpet bombs the stage.

edit: For the record, I was trying not to abuse Chain Shot because my mouse doesn't want to cooperate with precision aiming at all. Turns out that shadow operative was the ticket. But god drat!

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 10, 2011

• Locked thread