Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

You're in Tucson, I assume?

I feel like if you don't have some of that feeling it's time to give up riding on the street.

I am indeed in Tucson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel that was orange
I took the bike out for a ride to see how it ran. As much as I'd like to say my problem was solved; it's back and now in an even more annoying form.

Previously the GS would not idle or start at all unless I held the throttle completely open. I replaced the fuel line hoses, cleaned out the petcock and cleaned the carbs. Now the bike starts and idles fine when stationary. If anything it starts even easier and idles at about 1500 rpm. Took it out and rode it around with my top speed being 50-60. Came to a stop just fine, but at the next light I stopped at the engine died. I was able to restart, but then I came to another stop and it died again and would only start with the throttle wide open and it would not idle. I repeated this process again and I was able to bring the bike home.

Now it starts and idles just fine. I thought maybe the shift in position was playing with the carbs, but I took it off the center stand, put it on the kick stand and it still idled just fine. It seems like whenever the bike moves on its own power and comes to a stop, this problem appears.

The battery is still good and the gas is fresh, but I'm at a loss here. Tomorrow I'm going to take it out and see if I can't recreate the issue closer to my house.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

kylej posted:

Nah, chain is good. The previous owner put a full exhaust and K&N air filter on the bike and I doubt he ever changed the stock carb configuration. I'm going to cover part of the air filter opening with tape next time I ride to see if the bike settles down. If it does, I'm going to replace the K&N with an OEM filter as a temporary cure until I can save up some cash to get a professional to look at it. I have no garage, limited tools and no friends with mechanical knowledge so I really don't want to start toying around and make things worse.

She could probably use Seafoam though. I'll run some through tonight.

A full stock exhaust for an SV has got to be nearly free. I'd buy one and toss that on. With just a K&N and a stock exhaust you should be fine. Ebay the exhaust for profit and glory.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I like turtles posted:

How did you feel after the first riding portion of your MSF? Was it :swoon: MOTORCYCLES :swoon:? Because I'm really not feeling anything approaching that.

I'm not sure how your instructors have divided up the riding portions, but after bouncing that little XT225 over bumps and slaloming it around traffic cones I couldn't get the grin off my face. The thought of contending with actual traffic was intimidating, but I still didn't want to get off the bike. About a year later I still don't want to get off the bike.

That's just me though. Maybe street riding isn't for you, but doesn't it seem a bit early to give up on it completely?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I was entertained in MSF, but it wasn't life changing.

What was life changing was feeling the biting cold as I came over the crest of Mt Soledad and seeing the lights of San Diego twinkle below me and realizing that I had the freedom to go anywhere from home to Mexico.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I began riding as a "backroad only" rider, every ride was for pleasure and fun specifically away from traffic. I couldn't comprehend why people would want to deal with that, I just wanted to have fun. Now, I'll take the bike anywhere. I enjoy the simple act of operating the bike. I'm in the best position then, for the annoyance of traffic. You don't have the climate control or the stereo, but you do have a quick and fun and probably nimble way to get from place to place. Once you spend time learning how to ride defensively and put yourself in the safest position on the road, annoying traffic riding transforms into the only way I'd want to commute, then as a bonus I have it for fun as well!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I didn't quite get that outright euphoric feeling either, just a feeling of "this is really fun, why don't more people do this?"

I'd say that if you don't spend at significant amount of time at work looking out the window and wishing you were on your bike, perhaps it's not for you. Unless your work includes riding motorcycles, of course :v:

I'd sell my car long before I'd ever want to live without a bike.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I kinda dont have a choice. A lady destroyed my Sierra 4x4 with her Honda Jazz and i bought a motorcycle.

im not really <3 motorcycles. but im not planning on selling it at the first chance.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I did a lot of highway commuting (the most boring motorcycling) and while I wasn't always super excited to ride to work at 5:30am I certainly didn't hate it. When I took the car I absolutely did hate it, though.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Armyman25 posted:

Shoot. I charged my battery up and took it to Advance Auto parts store to get it tested, they said it was a bad battery, and I've got the replacement ready for installation tomorrow.

Well, we shall see if that fixes the problem, otherwise it's time to see how much a starter will set me back.

In other news, I finally got my Indian in the shop, they said that the last shop had the timing advanced as far as it would go and the carb was extremely mal-adjusted. Hopefully these guys know what they're doing and all I need is some adjustment.

Will post an update tomorrow!

What's the word on the Triumph?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Thanks for the advice all, I finished the MSF today and passed both tests, so I'll go ahead and get the endorsement so I easily have the option in the future.
Obstacles were fun, and I think I'll probably enjoy off road - commuting on a bike is more of an if than a when at this point.

This is why I love SA, many of us have our own little holes to hide in, but there's still enough community respect that I can pop into CA and ask questions and get good advice!

Edit: Also holy poo poo I can't move my legs.

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 10, 2011

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

n8r posted:

A full stock exhaust for an SV has got to be nearly free. I'd buy one and toss that on. With just a K&N and a stock exhaust you should be fine. Ebay the exhaust for profit and glory.

I am a gigantic baby that likes noisy exhausts and gaudy appearance mods though :( I'm going to bring it to a local carb guy, have him tune it and call it a day for this riding season. I'll get a nicer exhaust, proper jet kit, etc next year but I've spent enough drat time and money on the bike already and I just want to ride.

I must say I'm stunned how much better the bike rides with a bit of tape over the airbox. Looks ghetto as all hell but it almost completely rid the bike of lean surges.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

kylej posted:

I must say I'm stunned how much better the bike rides with a bit of tape over the airbox. Looks ghetto as all hell but it almost completely rid the bike of lean surges.

I was always amazed at the level that a little tape or a hand over the intake could change things.

Turtles, congrats!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Checked the chain tension. It's even over the whole length of the chain, but now reasonably slack even when cold.

Should I retension it? Is it time for new tensioning bolt jamnuts? Loc-tite? Antiseize?

Also, why is it that aftermarket exhausts make it impossible to change the oil filter? argh.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
What's the best way to remove tire-foam-cleaner stuff from tire treads? The stuff that makes tires really shiney but also slick. The PO got it all over the tire except for the very middle - I've already felt it squirm around because of it while turning.

edit: nvm, soapy water and a brillo pad did the trick it seems

hayden. fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 11, 2011

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Checked the chain tension. It's even over the whole length of the chain, but now reasonably slack even when cold.

Should I retension it? Is it time for new tensioning bolt jamnuts? Loc-tite? Antiseize?

Why the hell would you use loctite on something that's meant to be adjusted all the time? :confused:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

KARMA! posted:

Why the hell would you use loctite on something that's meant to be adjusted all the time? :confused:

There are different versions of loctite. Some is "need a torch to remove" and some are "it'd be nice if this thing didn't wiggle any."

I was aiming towards the second one. Could wonky chain tension be caused by jamnuts wandering around, and if so, how do I fix that? Nylon locknut replacement? It's fairly obvious that the jamnuts that are on there aren't OEM, as they're both different sizes, head profiles, and materials.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Are you sure it is the tensioner loosing up? It seems like "loose nuts" are a red herring to something some sinister. :ohdear:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

kylej posted:

I am a gigantic baby that likes noisy exhausts and gaudy appearance mods though :( I'm going to bring it to a local carb guy, have him tune it and call it a day for this riding season. I'll get a nicer exhaust, proper jet kit, etc next year but I've spent enough drat time and money on the bike already and I just want to ride.

If you go to a slip on w/ the stock air filter you wouldn't need a jet kit I'd bet.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Skier posted:

What's the word on the Triumph?

Tossed a new battery in this morning, fired right up. Hopefully that's all the problem was, I'll see if it starts again tomorrow. Definitely a different ride than the indian, much more nimble.

Armyman25 fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 11, 2011

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

I like turtles posted:

Here's the question: How did you feel after the first riding portion of your MSF? Was it :swoon: MOTORCYCLES :swoon:?...The riding itself is OK, but the prospect of riding with traffic is, I won't say terrifying, but just makes the whole concept of doing (fairly short) daily commutes entirely unattractive.

I think it largely depends on how much prior riding experience you've had. The closer that is to zero, the bigger the permagrin the minute you transition from powerwalking to feet on pegs. In places like Cali, you're issued a minibike while still in the womb, so I can't imagine it being a huge deal. For me it was zero, so I was happier than a fat kid with a ham sandwich.

Deal with the two things as separate challenges. Traffic/commuting is generally not anyone's favorite venue, it's a thing to be tolerated on the way to better roads and destinations. It almost inevitably means that you will discover rural America; this is a good thing. The riding doesn't get special until the first whiff of manure. It's here, as Z3n mentions, that self-actualization is more likely to occur. And once it does, there's usually no turning back.

I'm sure there are people out there who are ambivalent about motorcycling after getting a taste; I just haven't met any yet.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

whats invovled in a port and polish and is it worth it? what about a K&N filter?

i had a K&N on my suzuki sierra and it was great to be able to wash it, but the filter on the bike remains clean.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Kommando posted:

whats invovled in a port and polish and is it worth it? what about a K&N filter?

i had a K&N on my suzuki sierra and it was great to be able to wash it, but the filter on the bike remains clean.

You have to take off the head(s), disassemble, shave metal out of them to make the ports bigger [not really a diy unless you know what you're doing], reassemble with bigger valves, and put the bike back together. Usually you'll need a EFI remap, piggyback fuel controller, or carb rejet to compensate for the way-different fueling requirements.

It's a big expense and you probably want to do it after you've done intake, exhaust, and fueling mods and you've decided you still need MORE power.

K&Ns are a good investment usually if your bike requires $40 filters [drat you Yamaha] because they're reusable. They'll often require some sort of remap/rejet as well because they let more air into the engine.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Kommando posted:

No on the port/polish. I don't bother with K&Ns on my bikes, generally there's no need to lean the bike out more.

Marv Hushman posted:

I think it largely depends on how much prior riding experience you've had. The closer that is to zero, the bigger the permagrin the minute you transition from powerwalking to feet on pegs. In places like Cali, you're issued a minibike while still in the womb, so I can't imagine it being a huge deal. For me it was zero, so I was happier than a fat kid with a ham sandwich.

Deal with the two things as separate challenges. Traffic/commuting is generally not anyone's favorite venue, it's a thing to be tolerated on the way to better roads and destinations. It almost inevitably means that you will discover rural America; this is a good thing. The riding doesn't get special until the first whiff of manure. It's here, as Z3n mentions, that self-actualization is more likely to occur. And once it does, there's usually no turning back.

I'm sure there are people out there who are ambivalent about motorcycling after getting a taste; I just haven't met any yet.

Goddamnit, I guess that's what I get for being born in Oregon. I moved down when I was 5, I guess I missed the grace period to have a minibike. :(

[panic]
Aug 16, 2000

bounce bounce bounce

Marv Hushman posted:

For what it's worth, I had zero riding experience going into the MSF, and while the class gave me confidence that I could ride, I didn't really fall in love with it at all until I went out, bought a bike of my own, and started hitting the road at speeds > 20 MPH. I think it is hard to fall in love on the completely busted bikes they have you ride during MSF, especially when you are waiting in line half the time while the instructors are trying to help the girl that dropped her bike 8 times or the guy that forgot how to use his brakes on Day 3.

So Mr. I like turtles, my advice would be to buy something that you can at least try out on the roads, and see how you feel after that. You may be surprised at how quickly you change your mind.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

So I think I overheated the 636 today.

According to the owners manual the bike isn't overheating until it hits 248F, at which point it will flash "HI". I was at a light with the temp was around 230 and the bike abruptly shut off. It was hard starting but started it again, ran for a few seconds then shut off again. I rolled it off the road, walked into a mattress store and laid down for about 15 minutes. After that I was able to start the bike and ride home, temp never going above 212.

Could this have anything to do with switching to 87 octane? That was my first thought as that's the only thing I've changed on that bike. I also filled it up 20 minutes prior from some no-name gas station I've never been too before. I've been in some pretty good traffic on pretty hot days and I've never had the bike shut off on me. Also oil is good and coolant is between the lines.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Motorcycling didn't "click" for me until I finally got looking through turns on the street. It's amazing how much more speed you can carry through a turn and how much more planted and stable you feel when you actually get looking where you want to go.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

So I think I overheated the 636 today.

According to the owners manual the bike isn't overheating until it hits 248F, at which point it will flash "HI". I was at a light with the temp was around 230 and the bike abruptly shut off. It was hard starting but started it again, ran for a few seconds then shut off again. I rolled it off the road, walked into a mattress store and laid down for about 15 minutes. After that I was able to start the bike and ride home, temp never going above 212.

Could this have anything to do with switching to 87 octane? That was my first thought as that's the only thing I've changed on that bike. I also filled it up 20 minutes prior from some no-name gas station I've never been too before. I've been in some pretty good traffic on pretty hot days and I've never had the bike shut off on me. Also oil is good and coolant is between the lines.

Check the radiator cap, not just the coolant reservoir.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Ok, I'll check it later after it cools down.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

I noticed low pressure in my rear brake pedal a few weeks ago, so I bled the system of air. Got a lot of bubbles out, the fluid was clear, and the pedal was rock solid. I topped off the reservoir and assumed it was fine. However here we are, 2 or so weeks later, and the pedal goes all the way to the stop again. This is indicative of a leak of some sort, no? I don't see any obvious fluid anywhere so I'm not sure where to start looking or how to start troubleshooting. Any ideas?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
That does seem indicative of a leak. You should carefully trace the hydraulic lines from the reservoir to the caliper and inspect for leaks or damage. If you're losing fluid in a low spot it might not be very obvious.

How's the fluid level in the reservoir?

How old are your lines? When they get old they can swell.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Other than being bungee corded to my dad on his Moto Guzzi at like five, this was my first and only riding experience on any powered two wheeled vehicle.

Conceptually, I really only considered using the bike for commuting, because it would be a lot easier and cheaper to park on campus where I work. Back roads and major travel never entered my head as a consideration, but the way motorcycle folks talk that seems to be a major draw.

I'll give the off road playtime a shot, and if I like it I'll buy a dual sport or something. At very least I can ride to playtime then. And I'm sure experience would make the commuting aspect more tolerable - plus if I already have the bike I won't have to justify spending thousands... to save money.

Eleven out of twelve people passed the class. The only guy that didn't was the 20 year old who was actually doing pretty drat well, until he dropped his bike on the quick stop and automatically disqualified.

I suck at U turns, and they said I was a grandma in my cornering test.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Everyone is a grandma in the cornering eval.

[panic]
Aug 16, 2000

bounce bounce bounce
:cool: Not this guy :cool:

My class had 2 people drop bikes on the final eval and they still passed. My MSF instructors were way, way too nice...

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Skier posted:

Everyone is a grandma in the cornering eval.

I was so happy to be on a bike that didn't drag its pipe at the mere thought of a right turn that I had fun with it, leaning that little 250 as far as I could.

Giraffe of pain
Jul 9, 2011

by Ozmaugh

bladesamurai posted:

I noticed low pressure in my rear brake pedal a few weeks ago, so I bled the system of air. Got a lot of bubbles out, the fluid was clear, and the pedal was rock solid. I topped off the reservoir and assumed it was fine. However here we are, 2 or so weeks later, and the pedal goes all the way to the stop again. This is indicative of a leak of some sort, no? I don't see any obvious fluid anywhere so I'm not sure where to start looking or how to start troubleshooting. Any ideas?

A tube leak would probably be obvious. If you don't notice fluid spraying around it's probably burning off at your discs.

It might be caliber rebuild time. Some pictures might help diagnosing this. Also some information about what you ride might be helpful.

I don't like this: "so I bled the system of air". You'll never have to do such a thing, unless you're changing fluid. There's no physical way for air to enter your system unless something is seriously wrong.

Of cause there's also the possibility that your initial bleeding skills sucked, your fluid was water contaminated or you mixed dino fluids with silicone (beware of DOT5 in a 3, 4 0r 5.1 system).

More information and a couple of pictures, and we can probably get you safe on the road again.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Giraffe of pain posted:

I don't like this: "so I bled the system of air". You'll never have to do such a thing, unless you're changing fluid. There's no physical way for air to enter your system unless something is seriously wrong.

Bleeding bubbles is actually routine but it [as you say] shouldn't be actual air. Brake fluid typically boils a little with use and releases bubbles of vapor into the system which, like air, will compress and compromise the system's ability to create proper pressure before you press the lever/pedal to the stop.

Why it has weak pressure after only 2 weeks is cause for scrutiny, though, for sure.

Giraffe of pain
Jul 9, 2011

by Ozmaugh

clutchpuck posted:

Bleeding bubbles is actually routine but it [as you say] shouldn't be actual air. Brake fluid typically boils a little with use and releases bubbles of vapor into the system which, like air, will compress and compromise the system's ability to create proper pressure before you press the lever/pedal to the stop..

Pretty much correct if you run DOT3 or 4. DOT5 or 5.1 won't absorb much air moisture. To routinely bleed your brakes shouldn't be necessary at all.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

"[panic posted:

"]
I think it is hard to fall in love on the completely busted bikes they have you ride during MSF, especially when you are waiting in line half the time while the instructors are trying to help the girl that dropped her bike 8 times or the guy that forgot how to use his brakes on Day 3.

Underfunded sucks, but then it's sort of to be expected with a $25 entrance fee. That won't even get two in and out of a theater nowadays.

We had a fleet of near new Nighthawk 250s, with a handful of runts that had jammed up shifters and other tweakage. Not cool trying to fight a bike under those circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dame
Jun 26, 2008
I grew up around motorcycles, but only got to drive around small dirt bikes. As I grew up, I developed a fear of cars and trucks. (Odd, I know. I think it's the loss of control I feel when I drive them.)

I always admired street bikes, though, especially the Kawasaki Ninjas.

I finally decided to register for a Motorcycle Safety Class in September. And since they give you your license for passing the class (in Texas) if you have an unrestricted regular license, I am currently working on getting my regular license (finally) just so I can take my motorcycle classes and have my motorcycle license right after.

I'm super excited about finally getting a motorcycle license and take classes, and it's enough to pull me through my fear of driving a normal car.

It doesn't help that my husband bought me a 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R as motivation that sits in my living room (until I start to use it) and taunts me.

I'm wondering, should I worry about having trouble with the bikes that might be at the classes if I have a bit of trouble lifting? Are they generally heavy bikes? Maybe I should start lifting something with my arms.

Dame fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 12, 2011