Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

LAWLandMine posted:

So I'm ready to play Alpha Protocol and it doesn't work :(

When I start the game I get the splash screen to choose if I want to start the game or look at the read me and what not. After clicking start game it automatically minimizes down to my task bar. When I click on it on my task bar it opens up a white box that says not responding. Haven't been able to get it work yet.

I can run this game according to Can You Run It as well, so its not that.

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread about drivers and physx causing problems for them. You could try that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

Lotish posted:

Okay, I've been able to do pretty good with everything so far but here near the end the boss fight with the smug man-baby is complete bullshit. He does 95 damage with one shot and the constantly spawning soldiers make it impossible to get to his fortified position. The sniper encampment in the tower is not much better because he sees me just fine and I can't get but two shots in him before I drop dead. And if I get out of the sight of his death ray gun he carpet bombs the stage.

The tower with the sniper rifle in it is the way to go. I don't think I even took damage fighting him that way. Just run or stealth your way to that door. If you've got an EMP grenade use it and climb the ladder. If you don't, just kick the door in. Then shoot him a couple times in the face with the sniper rifle. Alternatively, if you have stealth and chain shot you can stealth up to the middle of the battlefield, unload a master chainshot on him, and run back to the start. Do this one or two more times and the fight is over.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Torsade de Pointes posted:

The tower with the sniper rifle in it is the way to go. I don't think I even took damage fighting him that way. Just run or stealth your way to that door. If you've got an EMP grenade use it and climb the ladder. If you don't, just kick the door in. Then shoot him a couple times in the face with the sniper rifle. Alternatively, if you have stealth and chain shot you can stealth up to the middle of the battlefield, unload a master chainshot on him, and run back to the start. Do this one or two more times and the fight is over.

If you're having trouble with any boss fight and you have a bunch of pistols experience then chain shot is always just the strategy.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hank Morgan posted:

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread about drivers and physx causing problems for them. You could try that.

My graphics drivers were already updated but I uninstalled and updated again anyway and its still the same thing. :(

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

piratepilates posted:

If you're having trouble with any boss fight and you have a bunch of pistols experience then chain shot is always just the strategy.

Especially if you have Brilliance and also a good AP ammo supply.

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!
So I've decided to play this again, but I'm still having issues with the camera/ mouse jerking and zipping around every time the game loads something. Is that what the APEngine fix in the first post is for or is this a different issue? The game isn't unplayable, but the constant spazzing out of the camera does get irritating.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

etalian posted:

Especially if you have Brilliance and also a good AP ammo supply.

Hey since you're here and all, go back and spoiler tag your drat post about the ending of the game that a lot of people just bought.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I never got the chance to punch Leland during the interrogation room conversations. In the end he just signaled the guards to come and take me to the medical room. I did tell him he had something on his tie though.

:(

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Chasiubao posted:

I never got the chance to punch Leland during the interrogation room conversations. In the end he just signaled the guards to come and take me to the medical room. I did tell him he had something on his tie though.

:(

I think it's tied to getting half-way Ok rep with Leland by giving away the true story during the interrogation, puts him off guard so you can beat him up later.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
No, the option comes up about halfway through the final interrogation no matter what you do. But if you've got good rep with Leland and string him along his "I Want You" spiel for a bit, the "Punch" option instead has Mike slamming Leland's face into the table.

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.
Is my game bugged or can you not save your progress after the orientation stuff? I've started twice now, finished all 3 orientation tests, seen the "Checkpoint Reached" text pop up, but the game won't let me save my progress manually, and there are no auto-saves.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Hank Morgan posted:

Regarding the missile strike I never bought into the theory that Mina was the one who launched the missiles at you. It was clearly Halbech who did that in order to destroy the evidence. Mina did however cut you off from the government and Alpha Protocol at the same time in order to get you to work for her. And if you want to feel anger at that been done to you then the game allows you to express that.

I executed Mina back at Alpha Protocol because I was tired of being manipulated and lied to and after we'd spent that magical night together I thought I deserved better. I'd been pretty good about sparing every single person up until that point and Mike just snapped. He couldn't take it any more.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Completed my first run through last night as a completly Professional Soldier. No matter what the mission was the most important Sorry Madison and Mina though I was able to save Albatross and get the data on Halbech. Can you do that for the other missions if you have the appropriate skills?

Now Im going through the game on Hard as a Suave Recruit, speccing in stealth, martial arts and pistol.

Gonna go for my no kill run.

After that its a completly Aggressive Veteran.

This game truly is great.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Do not play the game on hard as a recruit.

Don't do this.

If you're gonna play hard, play it on Veteran. And even then, only play hard if you want to get the achievement, and then never touch it again.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Trying a fresh install on Steam but I have a feeling it isn't gonna do much. Reinstalled physx and updated Nvidia drivers.

NotATroll
Jan 22, 2010
IsATroll
I wish I had something insightful to add, but like many, the Steam sale turned me from not knowing anything about this game to regarding it as one of my absolute favourites. Already beaten it twice, thinking about going for a third round of it despite my huge backlog.

Turn up the Radio! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHLXnyY537c

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

LAWLandMine posted:

Trying a fresh install on Steam but I have a feeling it isn't gonna do much. Reinstalled physx and updated Nvidia drivers.

http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?showtopic=55130 First result on google for physx and Alpha protocol. Thread seems to suggest switching to an older driver.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Crappy Jack posted:

Don't do this.

If you're gonna play hard, play it on Veteran. And even then, only play hard if you want to get the achievement, and then never touch it again.

I'm playing on Hard Recruit with Shotguns/Assault Rifles and no stealth or hacking :unsmigghh:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Category Fun! posted:

I'm playing on Hard Recruit with Shotguns/Assault Rifles and no stealth or hacking :unsmigghh:

Oh, okay. Just wanted to make Excelsior aware that there will be no fun if they go for a subtle playthrough. Everybody will spot you, and all the minigames will be literally impossible. It would be much better to play a shotgun recruit who's paranoid and on the run or something; things will not go well if you try to play professionally on hard.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Crappy Jack posted:

Oh, okay. Just wanted to make Excelsior aware that there will be no fun if they go for a subtle playthrough. Everybody will spot you, and all the minigames will be literally impossible. It would be much better to play a shotgun recruit who's paranoid and on the run or something; things will not go well if you try to play professionally on hard.

Oh no, I'm really just killing everyone and being a dick for no reason.

Like in real life

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Crappy Jack posted:

Played Hard as a Recruit both achievements in one go.

I earned Rising Star, bitch. :c00lbert:

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hank Morgan posted:

http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?showtopic=55130 First result on google for physx and Alpha protocol. Thread seems to suggest switching to an older driver.

Tried that already. Uninstalled and installed the version that is in the game folder. Still didn't work. Trying a fresh install.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Now, tell me what else I can't do :fsmug:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Oh god, if you pick "flirtatious" in your last exchange with Scarlet on the plane you get:

Scarlet: Let me know if you do anything scandalous.
Mike: Will doooooooo. :quagmire:

I find Mike's voice actor's performance spotty, but when he's on, he's on.
Leland's voice actor is phenomenal -- he hits every single word at exactly the right tone calculated to be as smug and punchable as humanly possible. That guy needs an award.

I tried to get Marburg to at least dislike me in our first meeting but it seems that it's not just always being smug is the way to go about that -- you also have to kill CIA agents and Al-Bara? I got two positive rep points for being quiet and not attracting attention while in Rome during that conversation, much to my dismay.

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 10, 2011

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Rabbit Hill posted:

Oh god, if you pick "flirtatious" in your last exchange with Scarlet on the plane you get:

Scarlet: Let me know if you do anything scandalous.
Mike: Will doooooooo. :quagmire:

I find Mike's voice actor's performance spotty, but when he's on, he's on.
Leland's voice actor is phenomenal -- he hits every single word at exactly the right tone calculated to be as smug and punchable as humanly possible. That guy needs an award.

I tried to get Marburg to at least dislike me in our first meeting but it seems that it's not just always being smug is the way to go about that -- you also have to kill CIA agents and Al-Bara? I got two positive rep points for being quiet and not attracting attention while in Rome during that conversation, much to my dismay.

I didn't do both of those.

I ghosted the CIA Listening Post, capped Al-Bara, and was just a smug little poo poo to Marburg whenever possible.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Okay, I love some of the Veteran dialogue options. Vet Mike has no time for shenanigans.

As for the voice acting, it seems to work well for a raw recruit, which makes me wonder if that's not the "real" Mike. Some of it seems a little off for a more experienced agent, though.

Is there a way to get through Parker's challenge without being seen or punching any throats? Even with maxed stealth for that level I can't seem to get by the first guard without being detected somehow. He turns around before I get through the door and blows through my low level evasion.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I've done it on Recruit. It's a hassle, and I think all you get is avoiding a -1 rep, but I did it anyway. :shepface:

Basically, take your time, observe all the guard's motions, check your Awareness when you come back to the lobby area, because a new guard comes back, and most importantly of all: don't bother, it's not worth it.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 10, 2011

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

Lotish posted:

Is there a way to get through Parker's challenge without being seen or punching any throats? Even with maxed stealth for that level I can't seem to get by the first guard without being detected somehow. He turns around before I get through the door and blows through my low level evasion.

Silent Running, use it. You're wearing heavy armor as a veteran. It's either that or stay in your hospital gown.

Edit: If you mean ghosting it, I'm not sure if that's possible. It is perfectly fine to knock all the guards out as long as they aren't alerted to your presence.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Silent Running, use it. You're wearing heavy armor as a veteran.

If you don't open your locker first then you get to do it in your PJs.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lotish posted:

As for the voice acting, it seems to work well for a raw recruit, which makes me wonder if that's not the "real" Mike. Some of it seems a little off for a more experienced agent, though.

I personally try to think of it as the age vs experience dilemma: Mike might be a veteran agent, but then, everyone coming back from their third or fourth tour in Iraq is a veteran soldier, too, and some of these guys coming off their multiple tours are younger than I am. A veteran agent can know what he's doing, but still act sketchily immature.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 10, 2011

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Rabbit Hill posted:

I'm pretty sure you must have the suave perk to bait him into fighting you to the death if that's what you're going for. I did one run where I had him at -6 rep. I took out Al-bara and the CIA guards with lethal force. I used all suave dialog options with him, but he ran away at the end. I had the aggressive perk instead of suave perk on that run.

I did another run where I had the suave perk and ghosted the CIA listening post and spared Al-bara. I took all the suave dialogue options with Marburg and only got him to -3. However, this time he stayed to fight me to death.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
I think another choice early that matters regarding Marburg's liking is when Westridge asks in the Greybox interrogation room why you signed up for the job, don't choose duty. If you choose duty, Marburg mentions it at the cafe and you get +2 with him which makes it tougher to get your rep low enough for him to really hate you.

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.
In an impressive feat of perseverance (or an inability to duck), you've sustained 5000 points of damage across your career without dying. Now seriously, find some cover-- you've made your point. Damage Resistance +10%

This game. :allears:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The one for hanging up on people is my favourite.

"You're either a very busy man, or just kind of a jerk."

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Silent Running, use it. You're wearing heavy armor as a veteran. It's either that or stay in your hospital gown.

Edit: If you mean ghosting it, I'm not sure if that's possible. It is perfectly fine to knock all the guards out as long as they aren't alerted to your presence.

Yeah, I meant ghosting it. I was wanting to see if Alan will approve if you do, since he gets pissed if you have any encounters.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
In Moscow, what do I get for sending the weapons to Grigori as opposed to myself, beyond points with Mina or Grigori?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

It is, like I said, I've done it. It changes the dialogue with Parker very slightly: instead of Thorton saying "whatever, they don't know it was me" and Parker scoffing and getting -1 rep, Mike says "No one saw me that I know of," and Parker says "that'll have to do."

Coming from Parker, that's high praise.

e: apparently I am wrong

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 11, 2011

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Polaron posted:

In Moscow, what do I get for sending the weapons to Grigori as opposed to myself, beyond points with Mina or Grigori?

You get about thirty grand or so, as well as some very darkly humorous e-mails. It's also implied those weapons go on to supply Al-Samad.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

You get about thirty grand or so, as well as some very darkly humorous e-mails. It's also implied those weapons go on to supply Al-Samad.

The post-game news report said casualties were low in a terrorist attack because all they had were Cold War-era weapons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Chasiubao posted:

The post-game news report said casualties were low in a terrorist attack because all they had were Cold War-era weapons

This has many, many variables. :v:

• Locked thread