Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

This has many, many variables. :v:

:ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

Doc Hawkins posted:

It is, like I said, I've done it. It changes the dialogue with Parker very slightly: instead of Thorton saying "whatever, they don't know it was me" and Parker scoffing and getting -1 rep, Mike says "No one saw me that I know of," and Parker says "that'll have to do."

Coming from Parker, that's high praise.

The same thing happens if you knock out all the guards, provided you don't raise their alertness. I knocked them all out last time and he said the exact same thing and I got +1 rep.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Polaron posted:

In Moscow, what do I get for sending the weapons to Grigori as opposed to myself, beyond points with Mina or Grigori?

Beyond what's already been mentioned, you can get some intel on Championchik depending on you response to his thank you e-mail.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Holy Calamity! posted:

Yeah this game nails most of the 'spy' trumps, such as with this hideout introduction. It notably lacks a tuxedo-Thornton fancy party sequence.

There totally was one. The Moscow embassy was originally a tuxedo party.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Torsade de Pointes posted:

The same thing happens if you knock out all the guards, provided you don't raise their alertness. I knocked them all out last time and he said the exact same thing and I got +1 rep.

Huh! My mistake.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

gohuskies posted:

gently caress. Welp, looks like I'll have to play this again!

I tried being an rear end in a top hat veteran this game, but I soon reverted back to awkwardly flippant ladies man Thorton. He just feels the most natural that way. :allears:

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Got this in the Steam sale expecting it to be average and it blew me away. Went full stealth (field agent, spy) and mostly suave first playthrough, trying to decide what do to next. Obvious choice for origin is Recruit, and I'll probably go for SMGs or shotguns or something. Beyond that I'm not really sure how to approach a second playthrough, I can't remember half of the dialogue options I chose. Should I just pick one response and stick with it for 90% of the game or what? My gamer instincts were to try and maximise my reputation with every character at every opportunity, is it actually interesting (plot-wise) to piss people off?

Also I noticed that this game includes 'gently caress off' as a dialogue option twice. Just genius.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Jamsque posted:

Also I noticed that this game includes 'gently caress off' as a dialogue option twice. Just genius.

One conversation of mine had three options to choose from:
-Reject
-gently caress off
-Go to hell

I guess I didn't do the right things beforehand to get a positive option.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Jamsque posted:

Got this in the Steam sale expecting it to be average and it blew me away. Went full stealth (field agent, spy) and mostly suave first playthrough, trying to decide what do to next. Obvious choice for origin is Recruit, and I'll probably go for SMGs or shotguns or something. Beyond that I'm not really sure how to approach a second playthrough, I can't remember half of the dialogue options I chose. Should I just pick one response and stick with it for 90% of the game or what? My gamer instincts were to try and maximise my reputation with every character at every opportunity, is it actually interesting (plot-wise) to piss people off?

Just think of a character type and roleplay that. How would a recruit Thorton handle situations? Maybe he's a bit more green and lacking in experience, so he tends to pick aggressive over professional to compensate. AP is actually great fun to roleplay in.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well gently caress this game I guess. Did a fresh install and reinstalled physx/NVidia drivers. I was excited to play this to.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Is it possible to make a run and gun build? My stealthy Thornton was really fragile, I never really like I could go head-to-head with guys using guns or melee, and until I maxxed out the range on the pistol crit shot I had no way of dealing with enemies that were on the other side of open environments.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Jamsque posted:

Is it possible to make a run and gun build? My stealthy Thornton was really fragile, I never really like I could go head-to-head with guys using guns or melee, and until I maxxed out the range on the pistol crit shot I had no way of dealing with enemies that were on the other side of open environments.

I'm doing toughness/SMGs and it's a blast to hit Bullet Storm and charge at people with guns blazing like a crazy person.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
^^^ This guy has the right idea.

Jamsque posted:

All the weapons are pretty good once you put the points into them. SMGs are a very underrated build. I usually recommend a bulletstorm-brilliance-bulletstorm combo to absolute demolish your enemies. Just hold down the trigger and charge into them. Shotgun rear end in a top hat is another popular build.
Just pump your toughness a bit more than in a stealth build and use the technical skills that boost your weapon damage/armour and you should do fine.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Thanks for all these tips, one final dumb question:

If I do go for a SMG/Shotgun rear end in a top hat build, is it worth dumping 5 points in to stealth to get the over-head markers or are those points better spent elsewhere?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jamsque posted:

Thanks for all these tips, one final dumb question:

If I do go for a SMG/Shotgun rear end in a top hat build, is it worth dumping 5 points in to stealth to get the over-head markers or are those points better spent elsewhere?

Always get awareness, it's worth it in every run you can do. I always pick it up as soon as I can.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Yeah "Always get awareness first every single run no matter what" should really be in the OP, knowing where all the guards are at all times is pretty much required unless you want to be blind going into every encounter. Lets you see all the guards patrol routes and what you're dealing with and such.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Don't listen to these guys; if you don't care about alarms, Awareness is totally optional. I've beaten the game without a single point in stealth.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.

Jamsque posted:

Extremely.

"Bitch."

"rear end in a top hat."

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.
Here's something I never thought to try out. (Moscow and Taiwan spoilers) Does anyone know what happens if you kill Albatross in the assault on Brayko's mansion and then do the G22 mission in Taiwan? Is that mission still available? Does someone else from G22 contact you at the end? Does the end sequence where you get contacted just not happen?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Jamsque posted:

Do what feels right, no matter what the game rewards you. Also, after doing stealthy professional, shotgun rear end in a top hat Thorton is a popular second style.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

LAWLandMine posted:

Trying a fresh install on Steam but I have a feeling it isn't gonna do much. Reinstalled physx and updated Nvidia drivers.

Try going into the AP install directory, go into Support/DirectX/ and run DXSETUP.exe. Reboot once you're done.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Here's something I never thought to try out. (Moscow and Taiwan spoilers) Does anyone know what happens if you kill Albatross in the assault on Brayko's mansion and then do the G22 mission in Taiwan? Is that mission still available? Does someone else from G22 contact you at the end? Does the end sequence where you get contacted just not happen?

I've done this. The mission is still available but you don't get the post-mission dialogue.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I've done this. The mission is still available but you don't get the post-mission dialogue.

So do G22 never find the bugs then?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Just finished my first play through. GAME loving OWNS.

Bioware should take note of how to do romance. Or should I say bromance. Stephen Heck and Michael just boated off into the sunset talking about how much poo poo they just hosed up!

Now I just have to find time to start a second play through...

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Wildtortilla posted:

Bioware should take note of how to do romance. Or should I say bromance. Stephen Heck and Michael just boated off into the sunset talking about how much poo poo they just hosed up!

True Fact: Originally, I'm On a Boat was going to play for that ending, we've been told.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jamsque posted:

My gamer instincts were to try and maximise my reputation with every character at every opportunity, is it actually interesting (plot-wise) to piss people off?

Yes Jack Bauer aggressive spy is pretty hilarious especially getting everyone to hate your guts especially when you smash battles over their head or just execute them outright after hearing their pathetic attempts at bribery.

Wildtortilla posted:

Especially all the extra intel buy options you get from Steve Heck Everything from poisoning Brakyo's coke supply at the Moscow hub so he takes damage during the boss fight when he does his coke snort or having him do a driveby in the Taipei Metro level with a mini-guy to clear the entire platform

etalian fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 11, 2011

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Lynx posted:

So do G22 never find the bugs then?

Taipei after Moscow Spoilers.
Correct. You can intercept an e-mail from them talking about how Albatross has gone offline and if you killed Sis, how there's no sign of her either. Not sure what happens if you kill Albatross but spare Sis.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

In Training posted:

Always get awareness, it's worth it in every run you can do. I always pick it up as soon as I can.

Yeah it's a really handy wall-hack that's very handy even for combat focused characters to avoid surprises.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
This is a really good game, having a lot of fun with a stealth/pistols run. On the third mission in Moscow. I even enjoyed Saudi Arabia. But one thing is really starting to kill my enjoyment of it -- I'm having horrendously long loading times, especially if I have to reload from last checkpoint in the middle of a mission. Like several minutes to load. Is this standard? Is there any fix for it other than "get a better PC?" I'm hoping there's an .ini change or something I can do. My computer isn't that bad, more advanced games than this load up a lot quicker. Aside from a few minor geometry type bugs here and there, that's my only gripe with this game, but it's getting frustrating.

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.
Just started my second playthrough as recruit. I never noticed one of the photos in the Moscow safehouse on my first playthrough. Got a good laugh out of me when I noticed it this time. Doesn't seem like a spoiler but more of a minor easter egg. Was thinking of using it for an avatar. Need to figure out some good accompanying text though.

The Photo

Using SMGs this time around and not giving a gently caress about alarms. Quite fun so far. Just finished Saudi Arabia. Can't wait to see how everything changes the second time around.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vizrt posted:

Just started my second playthrough as recruit. I never noticed one of the photos in the Moscow safehouse on my first playthrough. Got a good laugh out of me when I noticed it this time. Doesn't seem like a spoiler but more of a minor easter egg. Was thinking of using it for an avatar. Need to figure out some good accompanying text though.

The Photo

Using SMGs this time around and not giving a gently caress about alarms. Quite fun so far. Just finished Saudi Arabia. Can't wait to see how everything changes the second time around.

Make sure you spare Brayko in the Moscow hub for the best safehouse upgrades.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Vizrt posted:

The Photo

"He addressed it to Mike Thor...n...ton. With an n."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Vizrt posted:

The Photo

Doesn't Mike comment on the photo if you examine it? How about, for the text bit, "Mike and Sean, gently caress YEAH!!!", which, if I remember correctly, is what Mike noted was written on the photo (yes, with three exclamation points!)?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

StarkRavingMad posted:

This is a really good game, having a lot of fun with a stealth/pistols run. On the third mission in Moscow. I even enjoyed Saudi Arabia. But one thing is really starting to kill my enjoyment of it -- I'm having horrendously long loading times, especially if I have to reload from last checkpoint in the middle of a mission. Like several minutes to load. Is this standard? Is there any fix for it other than "get a better PC?" I'm hoping there's an .ini change or something I can do. My computer isn't that bad, more advanced games than this load up a lot quicker. Aside from a few minor geometry type bugs here and there, that's my only gripe with this game, but it's getting frustrating.

There's a belief (not sure if it's true) that Unreal Engine games have a weird load time bug on some procs. Try setting the affinity to a single core, then back to both cores (if you have a dual core machine that is!)

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.

etalian posted:

Make sure you spare Brayko in the Moscow hub for the best safehouse upgrades.

Haha, yes. I loved that upgrade. I remember him stating as much during the dialogue but didn't actually expect it in the safehouse.

Davin Valkri posted:

Doesn't Mike comment on the photo if you examine it? How about, for the text bit, "Mike and Sean, gently caress YEAH!!!", which, if I remember correctly, is what Mike noted was written on the photo (yes, with three exclamation points!)?

He says something about buddy cop flicks for that photo. The one you're talking about is upstairs by the bed. Going to use that quote though, it fits.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Vizrt posted:

The Photo

If it's not "Mike and Sean, gently caress yeah!!!" [with three exclamation points] I don't even know what to tell you.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Chasiubao posted:

There's a belief (not sure if it's true) that Unreal Engine games have a weird load time bug on some procs. Try setting the affinity to a single core, then back to both cores (if you have a dual core machine that is!)

Holy poo poo, I love you. Worked like a charm, my load times went from like 3 minutes to 30 seconds.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Vizrt posted:

The Photo

...Does Mike always have kaczynski-beard in that picture?

Parselmouth
Feb 4, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Doc Hawkins posted:

...Does Mike always have kaczynski-beard in that picture?

Yes :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

StarkRavingMad posted:

Holy poo poo, I love you. Worked like a charm, my load times went from like 3 minutes to 30 seconds.

Also works on ME 2. Then I went out and got a quad core and it's not an issue anymore :smug:

• Locked thread