Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I'm running around in the final mission.

I killed Darcy on the 3rd attempt after realizing I had Shadow Operative and Chain Shot and getting lucky enough to activate Chain Shot when his head was actually showing. I had no idea that one of the other towers had a sniper rifle. Maybe next time.

However, the mother loving infinite missile launching helicopter keeps killing me over and over.

Is there some secret to getting past it that I haven't figured out or is it just Shadow Operative to a good spot, pick off the soldiers one at a time, then grab the rocket launchers and hope for the best?

Because, Shadow Operative doesn't work against the helicopter. It still aims directly for me even when I'm invisible and hits me when I'm backed up in the sniper towers like it has magic Mike-seeking missiles that can change course and bend around roofs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Parselmouth posted:

Yes :black101:

Thankfully, it's one of the few thingss that won't change thanks to your actions.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Caseus Maximus posted:

I killed Darcy on the 3rd attempt after realizing I had Shadow Operative and Chain Shot and getting lucky enough to activate Chain Shot when his head was actually showing. I had no idea that one of the other towers had a sniper rifle. Maybe next time.

However, the mother loving infinite missile launching helicopter keeps killing me over and over.

Is there some secret to getting past it that I haven't figured out or is it just Shadow Operative to a good spot, pick off the soldiers one at a time, then grab the rocket launchers and hope for the best?

Because, Shadow Operative doesn't work against the helicopter. It still aims directly for me even when I'm invisible and hits me when I'm backed up in the sniper towers like it has magic Mike-seeking missiles that can change course and bend around roofs.

They don't track you and fire at a regular interval. Kill the guards, grab the rocket launchers and aim for the rotors. Worse comes to worse, you can hide in the building at the far end of the battle area and shoot out of a hole in the roof at the helicopter without it being able to target you.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Caseus Maximus posted:

There are a few areas where it can't hit you like behind a pile of rocks next to some stairs at the 'second' part of the fight, stay there and pick off the guards and get healed up then run for the missiles, fire at the helicopter, use chain shot on it, run back and wait until you can do this all again.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Chasiubao posted:

There's a belief (not sure if it's true) that Unreal Engine games have a weird load time bug on some procs. Try setting the affinity to a single core, then back to both cores (if you have a dual core machine that is!)

Does the app have to be running to set the affinity? If I alt-tab out of it, it
won't come back up when I alt-tab back in to it.

If not, how do I set the core affinity without the app running.

It runs fine on my 6 core desktop, but my dual-core laptop has issues.

Soonmot posted:

They don't track you and fire at a regular interval. Kill the guards, grab the rocket launchers and aim for the rotors. Worse comes to worse, you can hide in the building at the far end of the battle area and shoot out of a hole in the roof at the helicopter without it being able to target you.

Are you talking about the one right underneath the helicopter? If so, it hit me with a missile when I was trying to do what you suggest. I was shooting out of the opening in the roof at it and suddenly I was a flying rag doll of death.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Caseus Maximus posted:

Yes. It's a per-process setting that isn't persisted.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Caseus Maximus posted:

If not, how do I set the core affinity without the app running.

It runs fine on my 6 core desktop, but my dual-core laptop has issues.

Are you talking about the one right underneath the helicopter? If so, it hit me with a missile when I was trying to do what you suggest. I was shooting out of the opening in the roof at it and suddenly I was a flying rag doll of death.

Huh. I've never actually done because I've always blown it away before then. :smug:

Seriously, though, if you just hang out in the middle/back of the upper area and move from side to side when it fires, you'll be fine unloading with pistols or AR.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Scorchy posted:

Try going into the AP install directory, go into Support/DirectX/ and run DXSETUP.exe. Reboot once you're done.

Did this, still doing the same thing.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Billy Bob FORTRAN posted:

"That's big talk coming from someone dressed like a seat cover."

:drat:

How many gay cheetahs gave their lives for this jacket?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Anyone have a link to a video with Heck's "the goddamn bees" line? I thought it was at the end of the hotel mission but the videos I've found pick the Suave or Professional responses - I think he says it in response to Aggressive.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Does this game end up more playable on the console? I've tried a lot of things to get my PC version working smoothly and I am not exactly a neophyte when it comes to INI hacks and such. I just can't get it to a state where I don't get annoyed every 5 minutes by camera jitters or the variable mouse sensitivity, and such.

Is this all gone in the console version?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Rascyc posted:

Does this game end up more playable on the console? I've tried a lot of things to get my PC version working smoothly and I am not exactly a neophyte when it comes to INI hacks and such. I just can't get it to a state where I don't get annoyed every 5 minutes by camera jitters or the variable mouse sensitivity, and such.

I played through it on the 360 and I haven't had any issues at all with it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Rascyc posted:

Not only that, but if you plug in a wired 360 controller it's all gone in the PC version too.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.
I would like to recommend a gadget heavy play through if you haven't done so. It is quite amusing to lay down traps and lure guards into it with your noise maker. Also, stealthing up to guards and planting bombs at their feet and not getting harmed by your weapons. It's like I'm a suicide bomber, without the suicide part :v:

You will still probably want to have some relevant weapon training to fall back on in case you run out of gadgets during the mission.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

ElectricSheep posted:

How many gay cheetahs gave their lives for this jacket?

"There's still probably enough coke residue on this knife to get someone very VERY high."

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

piratepilates posted:

I played through it on the 360 and I haven't had any issues at all with it.

Ditto, I've played through on both 360 and PS3 with few issues besides the odd glitching-through-walls/ladders 2 or 3 times in 4+ playthroughs. If anyone's having trouble with the PC version you can probably find a copy of Alpha Protocol at a local gamestop for $14

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 11, 2011

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Vizrt posted:

Just started my second playthrough as recruit. I never noticed one of the photos in the Moscow safehouse on my first playthrough. Got a good laugh out of me when I noticed it this time. Doesn't seem like a spoiler but more of a minor easter egg. Was thinking of using it for an avatar. Need to figure out some good accompanying text though.
http://www.amazon.com/Running-Scared-Gregory-Hines/dp/B00005N89R/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1310365815&sr=8-2

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Now that, I had not seen. TFG.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Taipei after Moscow Spoilers.
Correct. You can intercept an e-mail from them talking about how Albatross has gone offline and if you killed Sis, how there's no sign of her either. Not sure what happens if you kill Albatross but spare Sis.

As far as I'm aware if you don't kill Sis on the boat she'll be captured at Brayko's mission. If she's killed on the boat, then that 'frees up' Albatross for the mansion mission.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I paid 5 dollars for this game on a Steam sale and now I wish I had paid 20 so the developers got more money.

I don't know how much more I can praise a game than that.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

poptart_fairy posted:

As far as I'm aware if you don't kill Sis on the boat she'll be captured at Brayko's mission. If she's killed on the boat, then that 'frees up' Albatross for the mansion mission.

Wait, what? How can you kill albatross before the mansion mission without killing Sis?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

GetWellGamers posted:

Wait, what? How can you kill albatross before the mansion mission without killing Sis?

No no, I never said that. Read it again. :v:

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Right, but if Albatross is alive, it'll always be him at the mansion, and there's no way to my knowledge to kill him prior. I mean, right? I've never, ever seen sis at the mansion in any playthrough, at least not in the chair all tied up.

TFG :psyduck:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
...welp, in that case colour me as confused as you are. :psyboom:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

poptart_fairy posted:

I spared Sis and Albatross still got his damnfool rear end captured. That said, with this game, you can never be sure :tinfoil:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

poptart_fairy posted:

I think it's either Albatross or SIE who gets captured, depending on which one you chose as your handler on the Embassy mission. I've never even seen Sis appear on that mission.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Not only that, but if you plug in a wired 360 controller it's all gone in the PC version too.

I tried this on my PC and setting it to the 360 controller made the game lag like it was having a molasses seizure and I could scarcely get out of the menu because it was so unresponsive. This game has some quirks.

Also: "The man had enough cocaine in his system to make a baleen whale see Jesus."

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jul 11, 2011

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Caseus Maximus posted:

My first game, I was able to shoot it from the tower under the helicopter, but in my second game, for some reason doing that just made me blow myself up all the time. So I did it by running out of that tower around the side to the open area on the right (right next to the health locker), shooting at the helicopter with the missile launchers, and running back into the tower by the time it fired on me. Doing that for 3-4 times and then running out to that area to shoot at it with the assault rifle worked for me. I also took the time to first kill all the guys from the position of that tower.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Just beat the game for the first time last night. I must say, it is much better than I was initially expecting.

PROS;
- A truly dynamic storyline. It changes literally as you play.
- Specialize in a role.
- Fun and interesting character development.
- Choose your mission - play the missions you want.
- Upgrade system (Guns, armor, etc)
- Open, dynamic levels. - Not as open as, say Deus Ex, but they really do provide many options.

Cons:
- Melee combat system makes it hard to fight multiple enemies at once.
- While the story is good, parts of it are pretty cliche and corny.
- Sneaking at the start is hard. You seem to often - even late in the game - get spotted when you really shouldnt.
- You cant just jump off ledges, no matter how short. You HAVE to be at an exact area to get off of something.

Overall, it was a very fun game. I certainly do intend to play it again later and see other plotlines.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm so conflicted on whether to go SMG or shotgun for my veteran Jack Bauer play style. Full toughness, full one of those, then what should I stick points into, sabotage or technical aptitude?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jose posted:

I'm so conflicted on whether to go SMG or shotgun for my veteran Jack Bauer play style. Full toughness, full one of those, then what should I stick points into, sabotage or technical aptitude?

Sabotage is useless after the first couple of ranks unless you're going for a heavy gadget run (to anyone ready to jump in and say how Sabotage is totally super-awesome, shut up, I don't care). Tech Apt is like chocolate and blue jeans, it goes great with just about everything.

I'd recommend going Shotgun, because while SMG's are fun in their own way they're still basically bullet hoses whose strategy amounts to "point, press trigger, make die." Shotgun gameplay revolves around quick use of charged shots and well-placed melee, which should be a welcome change of pace after a pistols run.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
Question: Is there a Game+ mode?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Nope. Veteran drops a metric ton of points on you right out of the gate, but your perks, money, equipment, etc. are always reset.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Jesus gently caress. I have fought Brayko in Moscow like six times, and I loving always die. Last night, I finally beat the fucker with like 11 health to spare, and, literally just before the scene is about to end, Windows automatically minimized AP to ask me if I want to install a Java update. And of course, after that, I couldn't maximize the window again, and had to force AP to quit. I prayed that it saved my progress just after the fight, but NOOOOOOOOO! So I thought "Oh well, at least I know how to win now." and tried again, only to die yet again.

I'm seriously considering quitting and never playing this game again, because that fight is so loving frustrating for me. Ugh. I just want to move on... :negative:

Apart from that though, I love this game. It's glitchy and sometimes ridiculously frustrating, but I love how dynamic the story is.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Jesus gently caress. I have fought Brayko in Moscow like six times, and I loving always die. Last night, I finally beat the fucker with like 11 health to spare, and, literally just before the scene is about to end, Windows automatically minimized AP to ask me if I want to install a Java update. And of course, after that, I couldn't maximize the window again, and had to force AP to quit. I prayed that it saved my progress just after the fight, but NOOOOOOOOO! So I thought "Oh well, at least I know how to win now." and tried again, only to die yet again.

I'm seriously considering quitting and never playing this game again, because that fight is so loving frustrating for me. Ugh. I just want to move on... :negative:

Apart from that though, I love this game. It's glitchy and sometimes ridiculously frustrating, but I love how dynamic the story is.

I sympathize. Allow me to soothe your nerves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHLXnyY537c&feature=player_detailpage#t=49s

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

More practical advice: take a relaxing trip to Taipei, meet some folks, see what new intel options open up for that level.

strategery posted:

Question: Is there a Game+ mode?

Yes and no. It's called "Veteran", it doesn't let you keep things from previous playthroughs, but it gives you enough points to max out anything you could want.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

A hint for making it easier:
Have you been to Taipei yet? Maybe make a visit out there first. Meet some people. Come back and try the mission with some new intelligence.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
^^^ Yeah, that would have made it easier for me too. :)

Jesus gently caress. I have fought Brayko in Moscow like six times, and I loving always die.

That was, by far, the toughest fight in the game for me, and (I'm pretty sure I'm) almost at the end. I've closed off Taipei and Moscow.

For me, it took a combination of Chain Shot, Iron Will, and Fury, along with a couple of Incendiary Bombs and normal frags. I was so pissed at the fucker when I finally defeated him that I executed him without even thinking about it, and then regretted it after, because I'm not sure what I might have closed off by doing so. :(

I'm trying to decide what I'm going to do on my second playthrough re: specialization and general approach to things...

strategery
Apr 21, 2004

aas Bandit posted:

^^^ Yeah, that would have made it easier for me too. :)

That was, by far, the toughest fight in the game for me, and (I'm pretty sure I'm) almost at the end. I've closed off Taipei and Moscow.

For me, it took a combination of Chain Shot, Iron Will, and Fury, along with a couple of Incendiary Bombs and normal frags. I was so pissed at the fucker when I finally defeated him that I executed him without even thinking about it, and then regretted it after, because I'm not sure what I might have closed off by doing so. :(

I'm trying to decide what I'm going to do on my second playthrough re: specialization and general approach to things...

I had tough times in boss fights until i learned to just spam the paused pistol shot special attack. Killed every boss in 1 use every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Oxxidation posted:

Sabotage is useless after the first couple of ranks unless you're going for a heavy gadget run (to anyone ready to jump in and say how Sabotage is totally super-awesome, shut up, I don't care). Tech Apt is like chocolate and blue jeans, it goes great with just about everything.

I'd recommend going Shotgun, because while SMG's are fun in their own way they're still basically bullet hoses whose strategy amounts to "point, press trigger, make die." Shotgun gameplay revolves around quick use of charged shots and well-placed melee, which should be a welcome change of pace after a pistols run.

Outside of a few special cases currently in the final mission where I've used an assault rifle, I've played this run full stealth and melee everywhere else. Also done a pistols + stealth run before

• Locked thread