Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Played with my friend's D3 today and it's far and away the best smartphone on Big Red right now. Zippier than any of the LTE phones and the new Blur is actually pretty decent. I might even forgo the Bionic in the hopes that they'll release a 4G version of the D3 a few months down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

doctor thodt posted:

Played with my friend's D3 today and it's far and away the best smartphone on Big Red right now. Zippier than any of the LTE phones and the new Blur is actually pretty decent. I might even forgo the Bionic in the hopes that they'll release a 4G version of the D3 a few months down the line.

Isn't the Bionic supposed to basically be a D3 - keyboard + LTE? I'm still hoping for an LTE Galaxy S II announced sometime soon otherwise I'll grab a Bionic.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yes, but I love the keyboard.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

doctor thodt posted:

Ah yeah that limits things. I thought I needed a keyboard until I realized I never used the keyboard on my Droid 1. I like how thin the phones get when you dump the keyboard as well. My roommate's D3 is a bit thick for me.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

doctor thodt posted:

"You'll never use then keyboard after a month with the phone heh heh"
:goonsay:

Serious time: how is the keyboard on the D3? How would it compare to the keyboards you've used on other phones? Two of my friends are about to make the jump to smartphones and they both have an Env Touch. They told me they absolutely had to have keyboards, and since their not powerusers (I doubt they'll even be close to the new 2GB cap) I told them the Droid 3 was currently the best phone on verizon for what they want.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

"You'll never use then keyboard after a month with the phone heh heh"
:goonsay:

Serious time: how is the keyboard on the D3? How would it compare to the keyboards you've used on other phones? Two of my friends are about to make the jump to smartphones and they both have an Env Touch. They told me they absolutely had to have keyboards, and since their not powerusers (I doubt they'll even be close to the new 2GB cap) I told them the Droid 3 was currently the best phone on verizon for what they want.

I think most people who say things like that about the physical keyboard aren't heavy texters. I burn through 5k texts a month on average and there's just no substitute for the convenience of a tactile experience (especially because I can text by feel, which you can't do with a touch screen). I'm also pretty proficient with Swype, and I'm still significantly faster with the physical keyboard. I understand that plenty of people can get along just fine without them - as it happens, I can too. But it still makes things a whole lot easier. My last several years on Verizon have consister of a Voyager, an OG Droid and a Droid 2, and the D3 feels like it has the best keyboard of them all. I didn't even remember how great it is to have dedicated numbers until they were at my fingertips again today. If you're absolutely dead-set on a slider, I can't think of any better phone available.

Though granted I only got to use the thing for about 20 minutes so I can't speak to long-term performance or battery usage, but I guess some reviews should be popping up any day now.

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 10, 2011

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

doctor thodt posted:

I think most people who say things like that about the physical keyboard aren't heavy texters. I burn through 5k texts a month on average and there's just no substitute for the convenience of a tactile experience (especially because I can text by feel, which you can't do with a touch screen). I'm also pretty proficient with Swype, and I'm still significantly faster with the physical keyboard. I understand that plenty of people can get along just fine without them - as it happens, I can too. But it still makes things a whole lot easier.
This should go in an OP somewhere. I don't think physical keyboards are worthwhile for the thickness they add, but if you're banging out thousands of texts a month it's pretty silly to throw the "hurp durp haev you tried swyep lol???" argument out.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

I've never listened to people who knock to OG Droid keyboard. I have worn out the sliding mechanism on two of these things from using the keyboards so much. One more day until i can order my droid 3. ONE MORE.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

doctor thodt posted:

I think most people who say things like that about the physical keyboard aren't heavy texters. I burn through 5k texts a month on average and there's just no substitute for the convenience of a tactile experience (especially because I can text by feel, which you can't do with a touch screen). I'm also pretty proficient with Swype, and I'm still significantly faster with the physical keyboard. I understand that plenty of people can get along just fine without them - as it happens, I can too. But it still makes things a whole lot easier. My last several years on Verizon have consister of a Voyager, an OG Droid and a Droid 2, and the D3 feels like it has the best keyboard of them all. I didn't even remember how great it is to have dedicated numbers until they were at my fingertips again today. If you're absolutely dead-set on a slider, I can't think of any better phone available.

Though granted I only got to use the thing for about 20 minutes so I can't speak to long-term performance or battery usage, but I guess some reviews should be popping up any day now.

This is pretty much the situation their both in. I wouldn't be surprised if they both sent ~4k text a month easily.

I would probably get the D3 myself if it had 4G :negative: my area doesn't even have 4G yet but i want to future-proof myself so im getting a Bionic whenever it launches.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
My sister has a Droid 2 with Verizon and she just got it replaced again, making it like the 8th Droid 2 she's had now. They keep replacing it free of charge so I'm assuming it's something wrong with the phones themselves and I think after two times its just getting ridiculous. She keeps begging them to just give her another phone (different model) but they keep refusing, but they do say she can pay for a new phone at a discounted price.

This sounds like a load of bullshit to me. Is there anything she can do to get a different phone (for free) because at the rate this is going she's gonna go back into the store to get her 9th one in a month.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Ziir posted:

My sister has a Droid 2 with Verizon and she just got it replaced again, making it like the 8th Droid 2 she's had now. They keep replacing it free of charge so I'm assuming it's something wrong with the phones themselves and I think after two times its just getting ridiculous. She keeps begging them to just give her another phone (different model) but they keep refusing, but they do say she can pay for a new phone at a discounted price.

This sounds like a load of bullshit to me. Is there anything she can do to get a different phone (for free) because at the rate this is going she's gonna go back into the store to get her 9th one in a month.

My girlfriend's Palm Pixi kept breaking last summer and after her 3rd or 4th unit, she got them to agree to send a Blackberry Curve instead of another pixi.

They basically told her she can pick whatever phone that is of equal or lesser value to what she paid for her pixi. The curve was the best "smartphone" they had :v: I would think after EIGHT D2's they would do the same for your sister...

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

My girlfriend's Palm Pixi kept breaking last summer and after her 3rd or 4th unit, she got them to agree to send a Blackberry Curve instead of another pixi.

They basically told her she can pick whatever phone that is of equal or lesser value to what she paid for her pixi. The curve was the best "smartphone" they had :v: I would think after EIGHT D2's they would do the same for your sister...

So it is possible then? I'll relay the info to her and basically just tell her to keep complaining. I'm pretty sure the Droid 2 is worthless now though because don't they have more recent models?

ForkPat
Aug 5, 2003

All the food is poison

Ziir posted:

...don't they have more recent models?

Like the Droid 3 the last 15 posts have been about?

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Ziir posted:

I have never had a problem getting a different type of phone as a replacement. Usually after one warranty replacement, I will ask the person nicely if they would be willing to replace it for a different type of phone, and thy have done it every time. Over the past 8 months, I've done the following...

Droid Incredible > Droid X

Droid X > Incredible 2 (I received a warranty replacement of a Droid X first, but after that one was also messed up, they sent the Inc2)

Fiance's Ally > Droid 2 (this was as a secondary line, which was really surprising to me...but I think it's because the Ally's are so terrible)

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

AppleCobbler posted:

In all honesty, I haven't been able to get a single phone to work with Google Voice. Not my Craptivate, not my Atrix, and not my Thunderbolt. Every time I switched from My Carrier to GV, it gave me a failure.

Gah. Really, has anyone had success?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Tab8715 posted:

I'm not sure of what you want to use it for, but my Droid X is set up to automatically have GV handle international calls, and that works fine (both outgoing and incoming).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Ziir posted:

That seems like a load of bullshit, and she should keep pushing. Worst case though, I would think she could get a new phone for $200ish and then sell the Droid 2 for about equivalent?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Ziir posted:

My sister has a Droid 2 with Verizon and she just got it replaced again, making it like the 8th Droid 2 she's had now.

This sounds like a load of bullshit to me.

Sounds like a load of bullshit to me as well, sounds like she just treats her phones like poo poo. My roommate's Droid 2's still been kicking since launch.

Irregardless, I'm stoked to upgrade to my Droid 3 once the release hits the brick and mortar stores. I'd like 4G, but, realistically, I wouldn't be using it too much anyway. Something to look forward to on the next upgrade cycle, perhaps when battery technology has advanced to the point when keeping 4G on all the time would be an actual possibility.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.

Ziir posted:

Switching to a different phone is a possibility. Have her speak with a manager.

That being said, the Droid 2 is not a phone I see many issues with, and I'm a fairly satisfied Droid 2 user myself. It can be a bit slow at times, but I think it's just because Motorola had to make some trade-offs hardware wise to compensate for the extra cost of building a slider/keyboard device. But I certainly don't see any outright problems with it.

Speaking entirely in a non-Verizon capacity, and to be perfectly blunt, may I point out, since the Droid 2 itself doesn't have any known issues, what is the only common denominator between your sister's 8 different Droid 2s?

deadwing posted:

Irregardless
:suicide:

SpacedOut fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 11, 2011

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki
Ok, for Verizon employee's, totally confused on this one-

I did an assumption of liability on my line today, and I was told that I would be shifting from being in a contract till March 2013 to July 2012 (assumption of liability contracts are apparently all 1 year contracts), yet my upgrade date would still be December 2012.....5 months after my contract is up. Was the lady wrong? How the hell does this work? Couldn't I just in theory walk in a store, cancel and re-sign up that day if I wanted to get a discounted phone?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Professorbx posted:

Ok, for Verizon employee's, totally confused on this one-

I did an assumption of liability on my line today, and I was told that I would be shifting from being in a contract till March 2013 to July 2012 (assumption of liability contracts are apparently all 1 year contracts), yet my upgrade date would still be December 2012.....5 months after my contract is up. Was the lady wrong? How the hell does this work? Couldn't I just in theory walk in a store, cancel and re-sign up that day if I wanted to get a discounted phone?

Things get weird with AoL's sometimes. Your upgrade date is 4 months prior to the end of your contract, but 1 year term won't give you a discount so they're splitting the difference? I don't know why you wouldn't have kept the remainder of your existing agreement. Did you move your line off an existing line into a new one on your own name?

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

I only use Google Voice as my voicemail service, but it has worked flawlessly on the past 4 phones I've had (Original Droid, Incredible, Droid X, Incredible 2).

In each case, Google Voice will show that it is trying to "verify" my information for a long length of time without ever connecting properly. I just do a restart however, and it ends up working perfectly when the phone comes back on.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Edit: i posted in the wrong thread.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 11, 2011

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over
I'm very happy with my Droid 2. The battery life is pretty bad at this point so I used the "free battery replacement" through my Best Buy warranty. Turns out they consider a battery with 15% less total charge a "comparable" model. gently caress Best Buy.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

serewit posted:

Things get weird with AoL's sometimes. Your upgrade date is 4 months prior to the end of your contract, but 1 year term won't give you a discount so they're splitting the difference? I don't know why you wouldn't have kept the remainder of your existing agreement. Did you move your line off an existing line into a new one on your own name?

Sorry if I wasn't clear (was way late at night)- I had a 2 year contract that was only 4 months in-the AOL moved it up from having a total (not counting my early upgrade) of 1 year 8 months left on my contract to only having 1 year on my contract left. So my contract will be ending 8 months earlier than before, and 4 months before my early upgrade would have taken effect. I'm just wondering, how is it that my contract can be up for renewal, yet I wouldn't be eligable for an upgrade for another 5 months, even though I would (if I didn't re-sign) be month to month with them if I didn't sign up till my upgrade date?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Professorbx posted:

Sorry if I wasn't clear (was way late at night)- I had a 2 year contract that was only 4 months in-the AOL moved it up from having a total (not counting my early upgrade) of 1 year 8 months left on my contract to only having 1 year on my contract left. So my contract will be ending 8 months earlier than before, and 4 months before my early upgrade would have taken effect. I'm just wondering, how is it that my contract can be up for renewal, yet I wouldn't be eligable for an upgrade for another 5 months, even though I would (if I didn't re-sign) be month to month with them if I didn't sign up till my upgrade date?

Ah, VISION, how I don't miss your antics with contract dates... basically, the upgrade discount is a seperate feature that is determined by the start date of your contract and not the end date if that makes any sense. I'm not entirely sure why they put you on a 1 year, though, unless you were a secondary line or were joining FSP... I imagine you could call in and get them to fix it by changing your upgrade date to the new proper one.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy
A question: are all Pentile screens the same? I was all set to grab the Droid 3. I've heard amazing things about the speed and pick-up, and my OG Droid is on its last legs. I've been waiting for this phone for months.

I stopped in at a Verizon store this weekend to look at the Droid X2s, just to see what the Pentile screens looked like in person, and was so disappointed. The colors looked flat and desaturated, and I could see the pixels without trying -- the Google logo on the web browser looked pixellated and jaggy.

Is it even worth looking at the Droid 3 when it comes out, or will its Pentile screen be the same?

And is there any other keyboard Android phone planning to come to Verizon? I've been due for an upgrade for two months, and haven't used it yet, because my options seemed to be the Droid 2 (I heard conflicting reports about MotoBlur and its battery life) or the Droid 3, and ... that's about it.

I'd rather stay with Verizon than switch, if nothing else than because I hated AT&T and I have family in rural areas, so I'm not sure how well Sprint's coverage would work*, but a physical keyboard is a must-have, and my Droid won't last much longer, so they're not making this easy on me.

(*I heard Sprint has great coverage in cities and isn't as great in the vast rural stretches; I could be way off on this, though.)

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Is there anywhere I can see the most recent info on the Bionic? Googling is just bringing up lots of junk that conflicts with each other or old blog posts from when it got renamed.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

slackerbitch posted:

A question: are all Pentile screens the same? I was all set to grab the Droid 3. I've heard amazing things about the speed and pick-up, and my OG Droid is on its last legs. I've been waiting for this phone for months.

I stopped in at a Verizon store this weekend to look at the Droid X2s, just to see what the Pentile screens looked like in person, and was so disappointed. The colors looked flat and desaturated, and I could see the pixels without trying -- the Google logo on the web browser looked pixellated and jaggy.

Is it even worth looking at the Droid 3 when it comes out, or will its Pentile screen be the same?

And is there any other keyboard Android phone planning to come to Verizon? I've been due for an upgrade for two months, and haven't used it yet, because my options seemed to be the Droid 2 (I heard conflicting reports about MotoBlur and its battery life) or the Droid 3, and ... that's about it.

I'd rather stay with Verizon than switch, if nothing else than because I hated AT&T and I have family in rural areas, so I'm not sure how well Sprint's coverage would work*, but a physical keyboard is a must-have, and my Droid won't last much longer, so they're not making this easy on me.

(*I heard Sprint has great coverage in cities and isn't as great in the vast rural stretches; I could be way off on this, though.)

I think for most people they either notice Pentile or they don't. One review of the DX2 I read said the the screen made the phone almost unusable, another review called it one of the best screens on a handset today. Unfortunately as far as physical keyboards go the D3 is probably your only choice. I would think long and hard about how much I need that keyboard before giving up unlimited data (Verizon) data though*. Just me.

I'm pretty sure Sprint users can roam on the Verizon network, but I'm not sure. I still probably wouldn't give up the Verizon unlimited data though and I don't think Sprint has a decent phone coming out with a physical keyboard either.

*And believe me, I'm not one of those people that say "durrr just use a soft keyboard you'll get used to it." I have giant loving hands and I still haven't gotten used to the soft keyboard on my Fascinate. I would kill for a keyboard to be hiding under that screen. It's not a suggestion I make lightly but Verizon 4G speeds are ridic and 30 bucks for unlimited 4G is probably going to be pretty hard to beat soon (on a grown up carrier at least).

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jul 12, 2011

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I think a lot of the pentile problems are related to your own visual resolution/acuity.

Personally, I have really good vision, and I can easily see the pentile on my Fascinate, but it's not enough to bother me.

Strangely enough, though: even with it's much higher qHD resolution, the pentile on the DX2 really bothers me. I really can't stand to look at it. The only thing I can think of is that the addition of the white subpixel is messing with my perception and creating an illusion of pixellation.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

slackerbitch posted:

According to early reviewers, although the DX2 and Droid 3 have the same pixel layout, the larger size of the DX2 screen makes the pentile artifacts worse. The Droid 3 has the Atrix screen, not the DX2 screen. The majority of people seem to be saying "you can notice it, but it's not terrible" about the Atrix / Droid 3 pentile screen.

AlexDeGruven posted:

I think a lot of the pentile problems are related to your own visual resolution/acuity.

Personally, I have really good vision, and I can easily see the pentile on my Fascinate, but it's not enough to bother me.
Note that Samsung used an RGBG pentile matrix, which though some people found it noticeable, is generally agreed to be not as bad as the RGBW matrix Motorola is using in their qHD screens.

Edit: here's some shots with all 3 screen types (RGB, RGBW pentile, RGBG pentile), but it's hard to demonstrate screens in photos and videos; it's best to check them out in person.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/05/26/a-closer-look-at-the-droidx2-and-its-qhd-display-pentile-at-its-finest/

Rastor fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 12, 2011

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

bull3964 posted:

a) He wanted a booster so he didn't have to get cable internet so the signal extender would do him no good since he doesn't have a source of internet to hook it up to.

b) The current version of the signal extender does 3G data.

Sorry, I missed that he doesn't have a broadband internet connection. Thanks for the head's up on the 3g data, though I'm incredibly surprised even though mine is kind of old that it doesn't do 3g. It's connected to the freakin' internet, how does it not support 3g?

Which begs the question, if I am using my internet connection to make a phone call/use data, why would I be charged for it against my cell plan?

Duckman2008 posted:

Same reason Sprint charges the $10 a month data plan even if it is a Palm Centro, Instinct or Windows Mobile 6.x phone, they want the stuff to die out and they don't want a "black market."

I'm confused; what's the "black market" of having one of those phones? There's a data-plan scheme or something?

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 12, 2011

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Hamburglar posted:

I'm confused; what's the "black market" of having one of those phones? There's a data-plan scheme or something?

Those phones don't require data plans. (Verizon has a similar thing; old Palm devices, certain WinMo 6.x or earlier handsets like the Q are the same way.)

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Question for any recent 4G'ers, when your area gets 4G is it 3G one day then *bam* total 4G? I ask because for about 3 weeks now my city seems to get 4G late morning/early afternoons, back to 3G the rest of the time. I'm hoping this is just testing but weeks seems like a long time, just flip the towers on 24/7 already! Just to show this isn't my phone 3 other friends see this too. Strange.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Acrolos posted:

I only use Google Voice as my voicemail service, but it has worked flawlessly on the past 4 phones I've had (Original Droid, Incredible, Droid X, Incredible 2).

KIn each case, Google Voice will show that it is trying to "verify" my information for a long length of time without ever connecting properly. I just do a restart however, and it ends up working perfectly when the phone comes back on.

Would it matter if my phone is jailbroken with a different rom? Using community rom and the reloades kernal, any ideas where to go for support? The goole voice page says my voice number is "activated" but still goes to my exsisting verizon voicemail, and my phone is set to use google voice, and that vm box does work if i call it.

calmasahinducow
Oct 31, 2004
i am a pirate of the high seas
I am on a Verizon Unlimited Data Plan for the next 2 years. It's under my name and SS#. The rest of my family is on an AT&T Family Plan but they would also like to switch to Verizon and we would all like to be on the same family plan. My mother has an employee discount (she works at Progressive if this matters). I know they can simply join me and create a new family plan on Verizon, but will this give us the employee discount? Is there any way for me to get 20% off without an AoL that would entail me losing unlimited data? Can she create a family plan in her name and have me join that without losing unlimited data? Even if I didn't lose it, it seems like I wouldn't get 20% off because it's not the primary number according to the FAQ? Basically I am asking if I am stuck paying 90+taxes over the next two years or if there is a way I can finagle to pay 72+taxes off my mom's employee discount without losing unlimited data. I apologize if this has been asked ad nauseum before.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

See last page, Verizon apparently jacks your unlimited data if you do a liability transfer. In short, sounds like you're hosed.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

Tab8715 posted:

Would it matter if my phone is jailbroken with a different rom? Using community rom and the reloades kernal, any ideas where to go for support? The goole voice page says my voice number is "activated" but still goes to my exsisting verizon voicemail, and my phone is set to use google voice, and that vm box does work if i call it.

I have a related problem, my phone will not ring when someone tries to call (it forwards to Google Voice voicemail after 1 ring). I had set up unconditional forwarding (because I'm stupid) but have put in the deactivation code several times over the last few days, and have removed call forwarding from my features under my account. Whenever someone calls my Verizon number they still get my Google Voice voicemail. Do I have to call them at this point or is there something simple I'm missing?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hamburglar posted:

As mentioned, certain phones are or were grandfathered in on features. So even when the carrier discontinues the phones, people still buy them used online. Beyond the value of the phones staying up, the issue for carriers if people buying those phones are mnot signing contracts. In the US people not under contract are the biggest risk of churn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Duckman2008 posted:

As mentioned, certain phones are or were grandfathered in on features. So even when the carrier discontinues the phones, people still buy them used online. Beyond the value of the phones staying up, the issue for carriers if people buying those phones are mnot signing contracts. In the US people not under contract are the biggest risk of churn.

Right, I was just wondering what those grandfathered features are that the cellphone companies hate.

• Locked thread