Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!

Crappy Jack posted:

You guys having Albatross problems at the end, did you do the mission before you leave for the final mission where you have a chat about your plans on the TV? There's a bunch of optional missions that all affect that sort of stuff, and one of them is calling up Albatross to chat about making plans.

I didn't have that mission available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone else get absurdly long load times for no real reason?

I found this thread and tried some of the values some guy came up with and now the game runs much faster and smoother than ever, but I haven't noticed much of an impact on load times.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Some people have reported success by changing the affinity to single core, then changing it back.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

My favourite complaint against KOTOR2 has always been how frustrated and angry people get about its approach to black/white, Light/Dark morality. It's meant to be complicating and confusing things, it's demonstrating how morality systems as binary and simplistic as that simply don't work under any sort of scrutiny; the game's theme is of deconstruction.

:(

Deconstruction and then reconstruction, I felt like. Like in place of black and white morality it gave you existentialism. You reject that Ayn Rand 'charity is malevolent' bullshit morality and reject nihilism in favor of a positivist morality that, newly mindful of its shortcomings, still asserts that it's better to stand for something even in the face of the meaninglessness and irrationality of existence.

As much as I love Obsidian, I don't try to be a total fanboy. It's not like I'd call KOTOR2 high art, but how many games even get beyond binary morality in any way other than the grim anti-hero?

I'd wager even fewer go where K2 did.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Swartz posted:

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Some people have reported success by changing the affinity to single core, then changing it back.

Yes, do this if you are a dual core, it completely fixed the issue for me. Seriously reduced load times from several minutes down to like 15-20 seconds.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Not only that, but if you plug in a wired 360 controller it's all gone in the PC version too.
Thanks! This did the trick. What a wacky game on the PC, technically speaking.

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!
I remember having issues with some older games when I went dual core back in the day and ForceCore was my solution. Can't seem to find it anywhere I'd call legitimate but check this link out from some America's Army forum from back in 2007 which still has an active link to the file. Basically just set up a shortcut calling Forcecore.exe with a command line switch to your destination .exe. If anyone gets sick of setting CPU affinity from Task Manager I'd recommend giving it a shot.

In fact, now that I think about it, it was KOTOR 2 that prompted me to first look for it.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Swartz posted:

I found this thread and tried some of the values some guy came up with and now the game runs much faster and smoother than ever, but I haven't noticed much of an impact on load times.

Chasiubao posted:

There's a belief (not sure if it's true) that Unreal Engine games have a weird load time bug on some procs. Try setting the affinity to a single core, then back to both cores (if you have a dual core machine that is!)

Tonight I am as :smug: as Mike Thornton.

CurbStomp
Jul 23, 2008
This thread convinced me to go out and spend the 20 bucks on this game. I have to say, I'm only in one of the second locations right now and this is hands down one of the best games I have ever played. It really keeps you guessing as to who is doing what, and what groups motivations really are. It took me a little while to get used to the missions but after a few its really easy to get into the flow of an individual playstyle, and I have been CQCing the poo poo out of people. Good times.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
It's really weird how you get tons of gear and cash during the final mission of the game, given that there's no new game +. Just something I noticed during my 5th playthrough. I finally know which rooms to not miss! :toot:

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
This game practically flies by if you just eschew the typical "spy" role. First run was as a stealth spy, this most recent one was a (mostly) angry-response Commando.

And the word "Commando" is capitalized because that's how I played it. Kick down every door, shoot everyone in the face. Unless their back was turned. Then it was a knife to the throat. Also never wear armor, civilian clothes only.

It's funny because you feel for characters that had different fates in other playthroughs. Killing Sis is particularly uncool.

On the other hand, combine a playthrough like that with some occasionally awesome bugs and you get poo poo like Mike being permanently on fire, which happened after I shot Darcy in the face. I like to think that after that whole sequence and several deaths Mike just went all NBA Jam and laid poo poo down.

Unfortunately the screenshot's just a black screen, which was a shame because it would've been awesome as gently caress.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
Uh uh ummmmm so question.

I went to moscow first because well, y'know, spies and moscow go together like flies and poo poo.

So, uh.

PMC chick with the heavy machinegun. She gets entertained by Mike's initial 'hey what the gently caress are you doing here' approach, I decide to work with her.

I'm going to end up regretting that decision, like a lot, aren't I.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Ze Pollack posted:

Uh uh ummmmm so question.

I went to moscow first because well, y'know, spies and moscow go together like flies and poo poo.

So, uh.

PMC chick with the heavy machinegun. She gets entertained by Mike's initial 'hey what the gently caress are you doing here' approach, I decide to work with her.

I'm going to end up regretting that decision, like a lot, aren't I.

It depends on whether you like to be sexually assaulted by PMC chicks.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dont worry, just treat her like dirt and the situation will turn out for the best.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

SynthOrange posted:

Dont worry, just treat her like dirt and the situation will turn out for the best.

For certain values of best.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

I'm going through my first Veteran run, and noticed something strange when I'm hacking wall panels like the alarm panels or keypads for doors. I took a couple of points in the Sabotage skill to make most hacking/locks/keypads easier and they were for the first several areas. I'm on Taipei now as my final area and the keypads have gone through the roof in terms of complexity. Up until now they've had at most six nodes you have to tamper with. Now there are ten.

Picking manual locks like on doors or closets have also gone from three tumblers to five which did not happen in the Recruit run. Hacking PCs is still pretty simple though. It's gotten to the point where I carry six to eight EMPs with me because I am not fast enough.

I was under the impression that going with the Veteran option opened up some new dialog options and started you off with a bunch of skill points, but didn't think it affected much else. Was I just wrong about that? Just seems weird that they would be normal/easy-ish for the first two main areas but the final one ramps up the complexity by a ton.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Bart Fargo posted:

I'm going through my first Veteran run, and noticed something strange when I'm hacking wall panels like the alarm panels or keypads for doors. I took a couple of points in the Sabotage skill to make most hacking/locks/keypads easier and they were for the first several areas. I'm on Taipei now as my final area and the keypads have gone through the roof in terms of complexity. Up until now they've had at most six nodes you have to tamper with. Now there are ten.

Picking manual locks like on doors or closets have also gone from three tumblers to five which did not happen in the Recruit run. Hacking PCs is still pretty simple though. It's gotten to the point where I carry six to eight EMPs with me because I am not fast enough.

I was under the impression that going with the Veteran option opened up some new dialog options and started you off with a bunch of skill points, but didn't think it affected much else. Was I just wrong about that? Just seems weird that they would be normal/easy-ish for the first two main areas but the final one ramps up the complexity by a ton.

The more skill points you have the more difficult things become.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Also, playing on Hard makes the minigames significantly harder. Just one more reason to avoid it.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Soonmot posted:

The more skill points you have the more difficult things become.

To clarify, it's more about the level you are than the skill points you invest in Sabotage; so the later you are in the game, the harder the minigame. I guess it's to promote specialization, in addition to making you feel not stupid if you pumped all your points into sabotage or something.

But even then, the minigames aren't THAT challenging if you use an xbox controller (the hacking one is much smoother on the controller while almost unplayable with the keyboard + mouse, and the lockpicking is trivial with a controller). I never pumped a point into sabotage in all my games, and while I did screw up an attempt here and there, even into the endgame I never had a moment where I really felt like I should have gone down sabotage. Stealth and pistols I miss alot if I ignore them on a particular playthrough, but I've never felt that way about sabotage.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The pins puzzles become basically impossible without sabotage (though I found 6-pins easier than 5 'cause the paths turn on right angles and don't tend to loop around the whole circuit as often)

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
/\/\/\ The only 360 minigame I ever had trouble with when it raised to super high levels was lock picking. You're dead on about the circuit game, the more paths, the easier it is to see.

pnumoman posted:

To clarify, it's more about the level you are than the skill points you invest in Sabotage; so the later you are in the game, the harder the minigame.

Not really, people who've hacked the PC version to add more skill points in the last thread posted about how minigame difficulty skyrocketed. Unless they also hacked the levels too. Either way, the result is the same.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Soonmot posted:

Not really, people who've hacked the PC version to add more skill points in the last thread posted about how minigame difficulty skyrocketed. Unless they also hacked the levels too. Either way, the result is the same.

Heh, so then what's the point of Sabotage? In any case, I play the PC version with an Xbox controller, so the minigames are just a fun diversion for me. I can't count the number of times I've torn through a place, then waltzed over to the screaming alarm panel for a quick dose of puzzle xp.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

pnumoman posted:

Heh, so then what's the point of Sabotage? In any case, I play the PC version with an Xbox controller, so the minigames are just a fun diversion for me. I can't count the number of times I've torn through a place, then waltzed over to the screaming alarm panel for a quick dose of puzzle xp.

The point of sabotage is to reduce hacking difficulty, and also give you a bunch of gadget buffs.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?
I think the biggest tragedy of Alpha Protocol's poor reception is that we will likely never get a Stephen Heck spinoff game.

STEPHEN HECK IN: OPERATION WIZARD SMELL

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Dr. Stab posted:

The point of sabotage is to reduce hacking difficulty, and also give you a bunch of gadget buffs.

Yeah, I know, I can read. It was a rhetorical question, seeing as how points in sabotage are supposed to reduce difficulty of minigames, yet at the same time it makes the minigames more difficult.

So...:golfclap:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

pnumoman posted:

Yeah, I know, I can read. It was a rhetorical question, seeing as how points in sabotage are supposed to reduce difficulty of minigames, yet at the same time it makes the minigames more difficult.

It doesn't make them more difficult. If you invest points in the levels that reduce the difficulty, the difficulty goes down. Put it like this: if you have 14 AP to spare, and a tagged sabotage with no points in it, putting those points in sabotage will reduce the difficulty of hacking. It's just that the difficulty reductions are only at levels 2 and 14. So, everywhere in between is subject to the standard difficulty scaling that the game has.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Slantedfloors posted:

I think the biggest tragedy of Alpha Protocol's poor reception is that we will likely never get a Stephen Heck spinoff game.

STEPHEN HECK IN: OPERATION WIZARD SMELL

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Obsidian might be able to find another publisher.

Who knows? Enough of a groundswell in sales over time, especially during those Steam discount periods, might help its case.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

pnumoman posted:

Total points in everything, not sabotage exclusively. Sorry if I was unclear. If you dump your points into everything except sabotage, you will have a harder time than if you put points into that skill, reducing the overall difficulty.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

SymfonyMan posted:

Yeah I ust bought this game too because it was on sale, but I'm getting mouse stuttering that 1.1 didn't fix and the lines in the op made the game worse. Basically it looks like it doesn't know wtf to do with my mouse pointer at times. When I use any radial menues the mouse is every where and closes the menu a few times before I can get it to the correct position.

Am I just screwed here and bought an unplayable game?

Did you ever get help for this? I recall having the same kind of problem, but I don't really recall the solution. Think I tried re-installing various drivers and using different settings, but it has been a while since then.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Soonmot posted:

/\/\/\ The only 360 minigame I ever had trouble with when it raised to super high levels was lock picking. You're dead on about the circuit game, the more paths, the easier it is to see.

Lock-picking is absolutely horrible at the higher levels. The 5-pin locks in the Greybox exhausted my supply of EMPs way too quickly.

Next run I'm playing a heavy non-stealth build with the sort of armour that can store way more EMPs and medkits. Either shotgun or SMGs, haven't decided yet.

(Dammit Duke Nukem Forever, just end already so I can get back to AP)

\/\/\/ Oops, sorry about that. That said, the game's intro makes it pretty clear that you're going back.

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 12, 2011

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

ChuckDHead posted:

Lock-picking is absolutely horrible at the higher levels. The 5-pin locks in the PLACE THAT SHOULD BE SPOILERED exhausted my supply of EMPs way too quickly.

Not that I didn't expect this, but come on.

kuribo
Aug 2, 2003

Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow.
So it seems that all of a sudden, my Tab key no longer brings up the PDA, and escape no longer brings up a menu. Escape simply pauses it, requiring backspace to unpause.

I'm going to have to reinstall, aren't I?

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
The thing about the minigames is that the difficulty on all the critical path locks and doors are really easy. All the super hard ones just lead to stuff like side loot and bonuses that are suppose to reward players who invested in Sabotage or in the armor upgrades. You're never really stuck moving forward in the game because you're locked out of a minigame you can't beat.

kuribo posted:

So it seems that all of a sudden, my Tab key no longer brings up the PDA, and escape no longer brings up a menu. Escape simply pauses it, requiring backspace to unpause.

loving weird. Go into Documents/Alpha Protocol folder and rename your APGame folder to something else, then restart the game and see if it's still doing it.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
How does this sound for a starting Freelancer build? Stealth 1, Pistols 3 (to get Chain Shot [Basic]), Sabotage 1, Technical Aptitude 1, Toughness 1.

I'm also considering Stealth 1, Pistols 2, Assault Rifles or Shotguns 3.

Also, are the "agent histories" just prebuilt skill templates or do they have actual in-game consequence? I am concerned that Recruit isn't good for a first playthrough even on Easy :ohdear:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Chortles posted:

How does this sound for a starting Freelancer build? Stealth 1, Pistols 3 (to get Chain Shot [Basic]), Sabotage 1, Technical Aptitude 1, Toughness 1.

Also, are the "agent histories" just prebuilt skill templates or do they have actual in-game consequence? I am concerned that Recruit isn't good for a first playthrough even on Easy :ohdear:

The Agent Histories appear to affect how a couple of people treat you- Parker is slightly more down with someone else who's played the operative game, while Morgan Freeman is less so, everybody's gonna consider you kind of a useless punk if you're a recruit.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Chortles posted:

Mostly flavor text-related consequences in conversations. I think (and that's not a certain statement) that a few bits of rep change for people who heavily favor certain mindsets, but I can't recall in all honesty. But those changes would be negligible since I don't recall any extreme impacts.

And playing Recruit on Easy is actually a good choice, since it makes the journey to an awesome Veteran badass later on that much more enjoyable. Not to mention using the Recruit conversation option is hilarious.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Chortles posted:

Recruit on Easy should be fine.

The pre-built histories are basically just a skill template, and don't do much past a couple of comments at the start of the game (I think :tinfoil:). There's a couple of new conversations for each history, and they're mostly in the Greybox at the beginning.

The Recruit history, on the other hand, has an entirely new conversation option for a bunch of characters, and can dramatically change other people's opinions of you.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

kuribo posted:

There are alternate buttons that bringup the menus within the PDA. Then you can navigate the PDA from there. Try "I".

Also, for some reason the Escape key doesn't seem to exit me from the PDA. But Right Click does.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Chortles posted:

I'd go for Awareness first.

Like, a ditch everything that isn't awareness until you have awareness build.

It's really, really useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Thanks for the advice re: class choices, so far I'm looking at Soldier with Pistols 3, Shotguns 2, Assault Rifles 1, whereas Recruit seems to start with no points at all, so I'm not so sure about it as "my first-ever AP playthrough."

Edit: If I do go with a basic history though, does the +2 Accuracy/Recoil Control justify any points in AR, or should I just go Shotgun 3 or Technical Aptitude 2 instead?
FINAL EDIT: Screw it, Stealth 2, Pistols 3, Toughness 1, I'll pick up Shotguns 1 and Technical Aptitude later

P.S. I should point out that I'm going for a "go shooting" build.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 12, 2011

• Locked thread