Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Sucks that you don't have a PSP, because I'd recommend Ys7 if you did. That'd probably be just what you're looking for.

Weren't they supposed to eventually do a PC port of Ys7? Or was that just rumors?

Late response but I forgot to include that I -do- have a psp. I'll have to try Ys7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Philip Rivers posted:

I feel like the one guy who likes JRPGs and doesn't like Dragon Quest. I don't get it at all, they seem like fantastic games, but every time I play one I get bored after a few hours and can't plow through.
Nah, you're not alone. I honestly can't play them anymore because they're like babby's first RPG when I play the remakes or the new ones on the DS. I really enjoyed them when I was younger and the one we got on the PS2 was pretty extraordinary.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Kinda bummed that we may have seen the last Dragon Quest game for DS. I don't really have much intention of getting a 3DS. Tried one and was not overly impressed - I don't know if I could sit on that doing nearly as long, solid sessions as I put into DQIX on my DS. And I have no intention of buying a Wii either. Shrug. Guess I will just do the trilogy (DQ IV, V and VI) and let that be that.

Also wish that they would release more solid RPG remakes on the iPhone. Come the end of the month, I'll be snatching FFT as soon as it comes out.

Thus ends my somewhat vacuous post.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Stelas posted:

I'm pretty sure you could get away with leaving SH3 out without much in the way of complaints.
I liked From the New World :colbert:

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Unrelated question: are there any good JRPGs on PC, disregarding emulation?

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Philip Rivers posted:

Some people might tell you Last Remnant. I don't like it but I apparently hate JRPGs, which I discovered after buying it.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Philip Rivers posted:

I feel like the one guy who likes JRPGs and doesn't like Dragon Quest. I don't get it at all, they seem like fantastic games, but every time I play one I get bored after a few hours and can't plow through.

You are definitely not alone. Obviously I am not one of them, but you have to be in the right mood of the game. They do not disguise the basics or dress the game up with much fluff. They're just straight up numbers driven adventure games. Don't look at the numbers or grinding as impediments to progress, but facilitators. They very much encourage the idea of training and preparation, and seeing how the games are only loosely story driven, it works; but like I said, you have to be in the right mood for it.

Which is why I recommend DQIX, since there a huge portion of the game is just about building your characters to meet the next challenge (boss) so you can probably get into the gameplay side a little better, given you will have some actual goals to work toward with each character.

Still, if you have tried a number of the games and just can't get into them then I wouldn't force yourself, but it did take me a lot of tries before I really "got" Dragon Quest. The fact most other jRPGs are little more than visual novels instead of actual games didn't hurt either; its nice to have a series that is just some very straight forward traditional turn based gameplay, with fairy tale style plot/stories just to drive the progression.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Philip Rivers posted:

Last Remnant for sure.

Septerra Core plays like a JRPG and feels like a JRPG, but it's not a true JRPG (get this off GoG, it's kinda dated mechanically though)

Recettear is JRPG-lite but lots of people liked it.

Ys: Oath in Felghana, but you need to use a translation patch.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Philip Rivers posted:

Nah, you really aren't. I've made my way through 8 out of sheer boredom a few summers ago, but I've yet to get through a Dragon Quest game without some help from a gameshark. The battle system just does nothing for me.

This is coming from a person who loves Star Ocean 3 so much he put 250 hours into it. Twice. I had way too much time on my hands in high school.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Got Eternal Sonata at a garage sale for 2 bucks over the weekend, and I'm loving it way, way more than I thought I would. Great battle system and it's loving gorgeous, and for a JRPG it's pretty low on the "cutie kawaii high voice" fuckery.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

A Nice Boy posted:

Got Eternal Sonata at a garage sale for 2 bucks over the weekend, and I'm loving it way, way more than I thought I would. Great battle system and it's loving gorgeous, and for a JRPG it's pretty low on the "cutie kawaii high voice" fuckery.

I can't tell if you bought an ES case with a Tales of Vesperia disc inside or what, but Eternal Sonata is the most horrible anime bullshit cockblowing game I've ever seen. I mean, it starts beating you over the head with pseudointellectual teenager bullshit from the very moment it starts and never, ever lets up.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I was never a big fan of DQ but Dragon Quest V is one of the best RPGs I've ever played.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Lone Rogue posted:

I was never a big fan of DQ but Dragon Quest V is one of the best RPGs I've ever played.

I'm playing through that right now, only about 15 minutes in, so I'm looking forward to that. It's mostly to get to the class system of VI, though.

I am gay for class systems, apparently.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

The White Dragon posted:

I can't tell if you bought an ES case with a Tales of Vesperia disc inside or what, but Eternal Sonata is the most horrible anime bullshit cockblowing game I've ever seen. I mean, it starts beating you over the head with pseudointellectual teenager bullshit from the very moment it starts and never, ever lets up.

No joke - I can usually forgive a game that does that if the rest of it is pretty solid but even with the gorgeous graphics/soundtrack and amazing battle system, I had to give up. The entire game is "cute kawaii high voice" bullshit.

I do love the soundtrack though.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

In the opening cutscene a little girl asks her mother why there are waves in the ocean. Instead of responding with "the moon", she goes on this ridiculous rant about how the moon is like war and the shores are like the people and the waves are like waves of consequence affecting the lives of all the Jesus Christ shut up.

This is the entire game.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
How's Breath of Fire 3? I remember it leaving me undecided when I played it on the PSX, maybe due to poor translation? But I was thinking on getting the PSP port since it's on the Essentials line.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Troffen posted:

In the opening cutscene a little girl asks her mother why there are waves in the ocean. Instead of responding with "the moon", she goes on this ridiculous rant about how the moon is like war and the shores are like the people and the waves are like waves of consequence affecting the lives of all the Jesus Christ shut up.

This is the entire game.

The game has the word "Eternal" in the title. I can guarantee you that there is some retard out there with either tears in his eyes or :fap:-ing away to that poo poo.

Remember the beginning of FF X2 (was it)? With all the pop star singing? That was when I realised how bad this poo poo was. Took the disc out, turned off the console and walked away...

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Honest Thief posted:

How's Breath of Fire 3? I remember it leaving me undecided when I played it on the PSX, maybe due to poor translation? But I was thinking on getting the PSP port since it's on the Essentials line.

Breath of Fire 3 is the best entry in the entire series in my opinion (save maybe Dragon Quarter but that's a different ball of wax). I come back to it every few years and enjoy it just as much as the first time. The story is pretty excellent, the graphics have stood up well and the gameplay is pretty deep with the whole Master system and such.

EDIT: I agree with that. FFX-2 gets a bad rap but it was way more fun than FFX. In every way. The opening sequence set the tone for the game - it was just a fun silly story, almost like a vacation for Yuna after the events of the first game.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Levantine fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jul 12, 2011

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Lurchibles posted:

Remember the beginning of FF X2 (was it)? With all the pop star singing? That was when I realised how bad this poo poo was. Took the disc out, turned off the console and walked away...

It's a shame that opening sequence scared so many people away since I thought that the gameplay was a lot better in X2 than X.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Naky posted:

It's a shame that opening sequence scared so many people away since I thought that the gameplay was a lot better in X2 than X.

Yeah, if you can look past the goofy-rear end presentation, X-2 is honestly one of the more entertaining FFs. The job system is fun as hell.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Troffen posted:

Yeah, if you can look past the goofy-rear end presentation, X-2 is honestly one of the more entertaining FFs. The job system is fun as hell.

And the battles are so much goddamn fun. It's the best battle system in any FF game, in my opinion. Possibly in any JRPG that I've played. It's just so...fast and smooth.

Eternal Sonata is great because I haven't played it, but watched briefly as the girl said "Well I don't want to, but I guess I better finish you off!" before bludgeoning a forest creature to death.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.

Levantine posted:

Breath of Fire 3 is the best entry in the entire series in my opinion (save maybe Dragon Quarter but that's a different ball of wax). I come back to it every few years and enjoy it just as much as the first time. The story is pretty excellent, the graphics have stood up well and the gameplay is pretty deep with the whole Master system and such.

EDIT: I agree with that. FFX-2 gets a bad rap but it was way more fun than FFX. In every way. The opening sequence set the tone for the game - it was just a fun silly story, almost like a vacation for Yuna after the events of the first game.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

People may say what they want about BOF3's story, translation and "mediocre" snes style gameplay, but it has the most well done sprites and overall artistic attention to detail in any game I have ever seen. For that it deserves praise alone. The bosses are all wonderful looking and lively in their own ways and the character sprites are very good at showing emotion etc.

Not to say its a bad game, I played this and FF7 the most as a 12 year old. Racked up over tons of hours on BOF3. I think this and 2 are tied for my favorites in the series, 4 is great too and has a really cool style but I think they made a few elements worse. Main example I can think of is a lack of a real worldmap and the fishing mini-game. The dragon system is a lot worse too, after 3's brilliant one. Still great rpg though, Scias owns.

I don't know why I love 2 so much, its a very average, standard rpg for the snes yet it has a special place in my heart. Its a typical snes rpg with an enjoyable story and I love it for that.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 12, 2014

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Jesto posted:

Given that so many people say this, I wonder how many of them even realize that it wasn't Yuna at the beginning and was instead some horrible woman dressing up as her to ruin her image?

The real Yuna only gives one 'concert' in the game. It isn't to be a Pop Star Princess like Leblanc was trying to make her out to be in the beginning of the game, either. It's a sad little song sang in the Thunder Plains when the people of the world are turning against each other as I recall, that she sings to try and reunite them all.

See here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKlQ9_7A-Hc

That doesn't make the gay jpop stuff any better. Whether it's Yuna or that rival or a super demon from across the cosmos, it's still a five-minute intro scene where you watch some sort of jpop concert in a jrpg.

Also the concert she does put on is even worse.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 12, 2014

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I'm sure someone's asked this before but am I missing out if I play DQ V before IV? I picked up V when it was on sale on Amazon and I was about ready to dig into it but I heard that IV is just about as good.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

HondaCivet posted:

I'm sure someone's asked this before but am I missing out if I play DQ V before IV? I picked up V when it was on sale on Amazon and I was about ready to dig into it but I heard that IV is just about as good.

V is arguably better but IV is still wonderful. The style of storytelling is a little different but if you like DQ then you'll like it no matter when you play it, I think.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
I've seen The Last Remnant here a few times and I can't seem to find answers to some of my small questions elsewhere, so maybe someone here knows! What does having a big chain counter do for me? Other than stat differences (seems like some weapons have higher physical attack or higher magic attack), are there any differences between using, say, an Axe or a Katana or a Broadsword on Rush? Is there anything different about leveling power grip from one handed weapons? I can't seem to see that combat arts do anything but damage, so I'm kind of lost as to what I should try to do with Rush.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Levantine posted:

Do you know something about the horrible minigames in it that I don't? I gave up on the game after that stupid rope pulling minigame. It was a shame because the game is actually pretty good otherwise.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Mill Village posted:

Do you know something about the horrible minigames in it that I don't? I gave up on the game after that stupid rope pulling minigame. It was a shame because the game is actually pretty good otherwise.

What was your problem with the rope pulling minigame? It's pretty simple.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Jesto posted:

Care to explain why you think that? Fake concert has no plot relevance and is generic bouncy jpop. Real concert directly ties up a few plot threads, is actually kind of sad and manages to be coherent with it's lyrics and is one of the most serious moments in the entire game.

I think it's the fact that they're trying to be serious with that stuff that makes it worse. The intro concert is just some silly thing that has the characters swing in like Charlie's Angels and beat the poo poo out of some goons while the unifying concert is the writers thinking that what they're doing is Serious Stuff with characterization. All the goofy stuff in that game was so much better than the actual plot where they tried to make an FF story out of three girls looking for a guy who's dead/vanished/nodreamy.

Everything related to combat in that game was so much fun, I don't know why they had to throw in such a chintzy girl power storyline.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Xenix posted:

I've seen The Last Remnant here a few times and I can't seem to find answers to some of my small questions elsewhere, so maybe someone here knows! What does having a big chain counter do for me? Other than stat differences (seems like some weapons have higher physical attack or higher magic attack), are there any differences between using, say, an Axe or a Katana or a Broadsword on Rush? Is there anything different about leveling power grip from one handed weapons? I can't seem to see that combat arts do anything but damage, so I'm kind of lost as to what I should try to do with Rush.

There is a Wiki with a lot of Information
http://lastremnant.wikia.com/wiki/The_Last_Remnant_Wiki_-_The_Last_Remnant_Guide

A higher Battle makes you learn skills faster

http://lastremnant.wikia.com/wiki/Developing_Arts posted:

The base experience gained towards skills is 2, however there are two factors that can increase this: Battle Rank and Chain Count. The first one modifies the gained XP based on the BR difference between the party and the monsters. Unfortunately the amount is so small that it will get rounded down to 0 by the calculations unless the BR difference is 50 or greater in the monsters' favor (+50% experience), and is thus almost impossible to achieve. It should also be noted here that no amount of BR difference in the player's favor will lower the XP, so fighting lower level monsters is an effective way of gaining skills without raising BR.

Next the Battle Chain is taken into account. Since the base XP is 2 this modifier gets rounded down to the nearest 50% as well: +50% experience from 250 chains, and +100% experience from 400 chains. Going any higher will not increase the modifier any further. This is calculated separately after the BR Bonus, which means a fraction of the BR Bonus is truncated and not added to a fraction of Battle Chain bonus.

Different weapons and/or different wield styles get different skills. I used an axe with Rush, but I can't remember why.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Xenix posted:

What does having a big chain counter do for me?

You also get more drops. However, to get a high chain counter you have to fight a lot in one area, and if this is against easy creatures you run the risk of raising your battle rank too quickly. This isn't really a problem on the more balanced PC version, but can be on the 360.

quote:

Are there any differences between using, say, an Axe or a Katana or a Broadsword on Rush?

Each combat style has four general techs, then two more high level techs per specific weapon type e.g. for one-handed style, you'll always get Smash, Crossbreak, Switchback and Dragon's Flight. If you're using a sword, you'll also get Dragon's Tail and Victory Sweep. If you're using a katana you'll get Moonset and Moonshadow instead. The active differences between them are largely minimal except where some skills are area-effect.

quote:

Is there anything different about leveling power grip from one handed weapons?

Power Grip is using a one-handed weapon in two hands for more damage. If you start to dual-wield, you'll lose access to it. Generally speaking you might as well just pick one combat tree and stick to it rather than trying to splash experience over two.

quote:

I can't seem to see that combat arts do anything but damage, so I'm kind of lost as to what I should try to do with Rush.

Rush will eventually get access to everything if you're diligent about doing guild tasks, but some of his options open up so late that I've always found him naturally settling into a 'beat poo poo up and support with healing or herbs'.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Please tell me people aren't actually defending Final Fantasy X-2 in here...

Opening scene sets the tone for the entire rest of the game, ie the fights are fun but everything else is swimming in stupidity. (I will agree it's better than FFX at least, but that's not an accomplishment)

It's the Extreme Volleyball of the Final Fantasy series.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Is Last Remnant an RPG with a hack and slash battle system? I haven't played a proper RPG in a long time and I'd like to play one that isn't just "Select Attack and watch".

Are there any other RPG's out for 360 with more involved battle systems? Lost Odyssey bored me to tears.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

bear is driving! posted:

Is Last Remnant an RPG with a hack and slash battle system? I haven't played a proper RPG in a long time and I'd like to play one that isn't just "Select Attack and watch".

Not even vaguely. Last Remnant is about directing squads of characters to act in certain ways, and managing whether they're in battle or not at a given time. Within each squad, it's more like Saga Frontier.

Tales of Vesperia is the 360 gold standard for involved battle systems as far as I'm concerned.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
While we're on Last Remnant, my Rush is outclassing everyone so badly that I'm concerned that is will screw me over later, he's easily breaking 2000 noncrit while everyone else needs to crit to break 1000. I might need to grind out more materials, but I'm not sure if that alone is the problem, any tips?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Lazy Programming posted:

I might need to grind out more materials, but I'm not sure if that alone is the problem, any tips?

The union leader is prioritized when it comes to using combat arts or spells. If you're really worried, let other characters lead unions from time to time so they get some skills off.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Lazy Programming posted:

While we're on Last Remnant, my Rush is outclassing everyone so badly that I'm concerned that is will screw me over later, he's easily breaking 2000 noncrit while everyone else needs to crit to break 1000. I might need to grind out more materials, but I'm not sure if that alone is the problem, any tips?

It sounds like your characters probably haven't upgraded their weapons recently while Rush has a new brand new one. If your characters seem pretty far behind everyone else, it may be worth it to look up what items that they're still requesting (assuming you're on PC) and try to get them. It really shouldn't be too much of an issue overall though. Keep in mind Rush has the potential to be the best character in anything provided you focus him, so ultimately he'll tend to outdamage the rest of your group by a whole lot.

If the equipment continues to be a problem, you can do the edit posted a while back in the thread so that you can change your companions' weapons. It's been a long time, but don't they automatically upgrade at certain points if you take too long? I think it may be at the refocusing points based off Battle Rank, but I'm not 100% sure if this is correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Kagon posted:

It's been a long time, but don't they automatically upgrade at certain points if you take too long? I think it may be at the refocusing points based off Battle Rank, but I'm not 100% sure if this is correct.

They do, yes. I think it's every time they go 'Hey! Let's go fight something somewhere, I don't care what!' that means they've upgraded their weapon. You really don't have to worry about them too hard until very high BRs, unless you pressingly want to get ahead of the curve for whatever reason.