Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
So I bought this during last year's christmas sale, and was bumped when it ran like poo poo and my mouse was worthless. But with the tips in the op and a bit later it's running relatively okay, and more importantly, my mouse is usable. Just finished the starter area and hit Saudi Arabia. Already can tell this'll be a blast, even on recruit. Thanks, thread! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
I am so sorry I am not letting you kill any random security guards Steven Heck. I appreciate your puppy dog eyes but Thorton has a strict 'try not to murder the innocent' policy. Perhaps later.

(for clarification 'the innocent' have been defined thus far as 'everyone who is not G22.')

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

BattleMaster posted:

Who can't you kill or allow to be killed in this game?

Fairly certain that you can't kill Grigori, Hong Shi, or Heck and that you have to choose between SIE or Albatross. Anyone else?

It's pretty strongly implied that Hong Shi dies if you reveal his actions to his gang.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Ze Pollack posted:

I am so sorry I am not letting you kill any random security guards Steven Heck. I appreciate your puppy dog eyes but Thorton has a strict 'try not to murder the innocent' policy. Perhaps later.

Heh, I just got Thorton to tell Leland that he makes a point not to kill bellboys since they look like sad little clowns.

On the negative side: I am pissed that I can't take Brayko's sound system with me to Taipei.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I had a question about Leland. Is his age a typo? Because from his dossier it says he's 39 and was hired in 1977 to be a CEO. So unless this story takes place in 1998 and he graduated from college at 18, he's been running Halbech since he was in elementary school.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Hypocrisy posted:

It's pretty strongly implied that Hong Shi dies if you reveal his actions to his gang.

Which choice is this, if I may ask? And do you get anything out of it besides satisfaction?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Just beat the game, and I have to say it was great. I chose Albatross as my handler, because he is awesome. I saved Mina and went off into the sunset with her, but I have to say I wasn't really expecting Scarlett to shoot me. What happens if you go into the room with her at the Greybox? I got Parker on my side, and Leland was spared to the courts. Loved the game, and I'll definitely do a recruit run next.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Lotish posted:

Which choice is this, if I may ask? And do you get anything out of it besides satisfaction?

Spoilers for an early Taipei mission line:

Hong Shi won't give you information about Halbech actions in the area until you eliminate some of his traitorous lieutenants, whom he claims killed one of his loyalists over a profit dispute. But if you look carefully in that mission, you'll find that, not only did he severely understate the number of defectors to you, he also lied about why that other loyalist died--Hong Shi murdered him personally after he suggested that an alliance with Al-Samad was a bad idea, and the traitors he refers to walked off in disgust. You can blackmail Hong Shi afterwards for money, intel, or fire support on future missions, but I'm not sure you can let the information slip and allow the Triad to disintegrate with that information released. Knowing this game, though, you probably could.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.
Oh god dammit. I feel completely stupid for not realizing this way earlier. If you hold the trigger button, it will skip ahead through conversation unless you're at a point where you must pick dialogue. How did I not realize this earlier? :negative:

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

If Saudi Arabia is the bad part of the game... holy poo poo. This owns.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
This is me trying to play through this game as a stealth/pistol Recruit on Hard :supaburn:

So far I've finished Saudi Arabia and Rome; not dumb enough to jump into doing Moscow first.

I can't believe that it took me THREE playthroughs, though, to discover that Madison is actually Parker's daughter! And to think I let Marburg blow her away in the last two runs.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hahahaha, I managed to glitch out Brayko fight!

As soon as he hit his second phase I ran up to his platform to find out what gadgets are up there, and he ends up getting stuck in front of his paltform where he jumps off, and I just shot him until his third phase and skipped having to deal with his guards.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Vizrt posted:

Just unlocked Veteran, but I think I'm going to give it a break for a bit before I do my third run. I haven't messed with gadgets at all, so I think I'll use them heavily the next time around. Also, outside of the first meeting I haven't interacted with Sie at all. So going to make that a priority.

Teaming up with Sie is an absolute blast, definitely choose her whenever given the opportunity during your next run, and just always choose aggressive 100% of the time when interacting with her. Mina's reaction to choosing SIE as your handler during the Marburg's Villa mission over her or Madison is hilarious.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Lotish posted:

I had a question about Leland. Is his age a typo? Because from his dossier it says he's 39 and was hired in 1977 to be a CEO. So unless this story takes place in 1998 and he graduated from college at 18, he's been running Halbech since he was in elementary school.

Basically a typo, yeah.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mr E posted:

Just beat the game, and I have to say it was great. I chose Albatross as my handler, because he is awesome. I saved Mina and went off into the sunset with her, but I have to say I wasn't really expecting Scarlett to shoot me. What happens if you go into the room with her at the Greybox? I got Parker on my side, and Leland was spared to the courts. Loved the game, and I'll definitely do a recruit run next.

It depends. If you talk to Parker on the big screen and then find Scarlet, she reluctantly confesses that she was the Taipei assassin. Mike is understandably pissed, and from there you get the option to either leave her behind or join up with her, at which point she becomes your new handler for the mission. If you contacted Deng on the screen instead, he tells you Scarlet was the assassin, making Mike really pissed when he encounters Scarlet. In this scenario, you can either leave her behind or shoot her in the head.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Yeah, if Saudi Arabia is the lovely part then this game's loving amazing. I just finished the Rome mission where I met Marburg and he asked what the gently caress I was doing in Rome. Felt like a loving spy movie, amazing. :3:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I really wish there was an ending where Albatross is in the boat with you as you ride off into the sunset. He could drop some mysterious advice, and maybe even offer Mike a job at G22. Mike would say he'd have to think about it... as soon as he figures out where the hell he is. Something like that, anyway. Though, for full dramatic impact, I still love any ending that has Scarlet snipe Mike out of nowhere--that happened to me on my first playthrough and that was such a "Holy poo poo!" moment.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Speedball posted:

Though, for full dramatic impact, I still love any ending that has Scarlet snipe Mike out of nowhere--that happened to me on my first playthrough and that was such a "Holy poo poo!" moment.

I STILL haven't got that bit to trigger. What am I doing wrong?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

I STILL haven't got that bit to trigger. What am I doing wrong?

You basically have to be completely in the dark as to what Scarlet's profession is; don't run into her during your escape from Alpha Protocol, and (probably) don't get that email from Omen Deng telling you she's an assassin (instead, have a conversation with Parker during the escape). Either Mina or Heck will sneak up on her after she snipes you so you might need to have either saved Mina or made Mina or Heck your mission handler. Something like that.

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.

Speedball posted:

You basically have to be completely in the dark as to what Scarlet's profession is; don't run into her during your escape from Alpha Protocol, and (probably) don't get that email from Omen Deng telling you she's an assassin (instead, have a conversation with Parker during the escape). Either Mina or Heck will sneak up on her after she snipes you so you might need to have either saved Mina or made Mina or Heck your mission handler. Something like that.

I talked to Omen Deng and got the assassination info on my first playthrough, and she still shot me during the confrontation with Leland. Agreeing that the scene is pretty awesome, and totally caught me by surprise.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Speedball posted:

How about getting her to shoot Leland?

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
I just got the Brayko killing Surkov scene and it was just as hilarious as I remember.

For those having trouble triggering it, I'm pretty sure the key thing is that Surkov dislikes you. I also gave Brayko all suave answers when dealing with him and took his offer immediately, if that makes any difference. Worked for me anyway.

I'm doing this playthrough as a mostly suave amoral freelancer. I intend to join Halbech without betraying Leland at the end, which is something I still haven't done. I'm also playing as a technical idiot by not doing any minigames (or using EMPs) unless they're required by the plot (although I am freely using the bash option when it comes up). It really hasn't changed much, mostly just missing out on some cash and intel and causing far more alarms to trigger, but it's a nice change of pace since usually I try to use everything no matter what.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
It's kinda funny how much this game keeps surprising me. It's really a shame there will never be a sequel.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

What was up with all the money left laid around in graybox at the end? You don't get to spend any of it, and with having several bugs in-place in Halbech, CIA, NSA and G-22, Thorton doesn't need it anyway. Was there supposed to be a new game+?

Not that it matters much, but I wasted my few precious EMP left on a few lockpicks, and the later parts of the level threw a lot of alarms and some computers at me.

I also encountered a bug when loading games at times just ended at a black screen with the game running, like the game failed to load everything. Quitting to the menu and then loading fixes it, but at some heated moments it's a jarring break from action, and I'd like to fix that. Google and Obsidian tech forums didn't have a clue, though. The only other person who had that happen was in this thread asking the same question :(

big duck equals goose posted:

It's kinda funny how much this game keeps surprising me. It's really a shame there will never be a sequel.

I wouldn't be so sure about never. Not a good example, but... Duke Nukem Forever, anyone? :v:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Musluk posted:

What was up with all the money left laid around in graybox at the end? You don't get to spend any of it, and with having several bugs in-place in Halbech, CIA, NSA and G-22, Thorton doesn't need it anyway. Was there supposed to be a new game+?

Not that it matters much, but I wasted my few precious EMP left on a few lockpicks, and the later parts of the level threw a lot of alarms and some computers at me.

I also encountered a bug when loading games at times just ended at a black screen with the game running, like the game failed to load everything. Quitting to the menu and then loading fixes it, but at some heated moments it's a jarring break from action, and I'd like to fix that. Google and Obsidian tech forums didn't have a clue, though. The only other person who had that happen was in this thread asking the same question :(

I wouldn't be so sure about never. Not a good example, but... Duke Nukem Forever, anyone? :v:

Well, it seems unlikely at the very least. What we might see are some cool mods for the game, but at the moment all anyone can really manage is some tweaks here and there.

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008
Just finished second playthrough as veteran (Took recruit as first).
Got Marburg killing Parker ending because I couldn't find a way to get Saint James connection, woohooed with Mina, got close to same with Albatross (I liked me really, really much) and someone called Wen Shu (was it that triad boss?) got arrested for shooting president although first playthrough revealed that the butler Scarlet did it. Odd. Also, no Westridge in the ending, it was Leland with rocket launcher instead.

Also, got same glitch with Brayko's fight.

Never gotten into the game without this thread, when saw name on Steam, thought it's yet another lightsaber bullshit sci-fi shooter.

Thanks, SA!
Do we have more gems-in-the-manure like this?

Woohoo fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jul 13, 2011

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Woohoo posted:

Wen Shu (was it that triad boss?)

Wen is Steven Heck's personal assistant. Yeah, with the fire and the detergent.

Squee
Jun 15, 2003
<3
I have been having a problem with peoples faces being melted off and I have no idea how to fix it or what is going on. I got through Saudi Arabi without the problem but now most NPCs that I talk to seem to have come down with flesh eating bacteria or something. Google doesn't seem to be helping me, anyone have any ideas?

Parselmouth
Feb 4, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Squee posted:

I have been having a problem with peoples faces being melted off and I have no idea how to fix it or what is going on. I got through Saudi Arabi without the problem but now most NPCs that I talk to seem to have come down with flesh eating bacteria or something. Google doesn't seem to be helping me, anyone have any ideas?

You hosed up and picked infected Thorton in the medical lab in the beginning.

Parselmouth
Feb 4, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Try reinstalling current drivers or reinstalling the game itself? Or you can try looking for similar errors on Unreal 3 engine.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

The Viper posted:

All the Stephen Heck in the world cant console me.

Every time I see the dialog between them that starts with,

:haw: : "Hey Mike! It's Steven. Steven Heck."
:c00l: : "Yeah, I know... I can see you."
:haw: : "And I can see you Mike!"
:c00l: : "Yeah..."

it brightens up my day.

Squee posted:

I want to see the whole game played like this. Some of the more intimate conversations would be hysterical.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Squee posted:

I had a similar problem when my GeForce 7900 was dying a few years ago. Polygons were getting corrupted like that all over the place in a couple different games, resulting in similarly horrifying screenshots. Not sure how to check, but I would see if your card is still in good condition.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Kitfox88 posted:

Yeah, if Saudi Arabia is the lovely part then this game's loving amazing. I just finished the Rome mission where I met Marburg and he asked what the gently caress I was doing in Rome. Felt like a loving spy movie, amazing. :3:

That mission is still my favorite part of the game and I hope to god any sequel or spiritual successor has shitloads of stuff just like it.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I am having a weird glitch in the Moscow mission where you go to Leningradski Station. If I die and have to load a checkpoint after a certain point in the mission, I come back to a bunch of random objectives completed and switched around.

Spoilers for specific glitch info in that mission: if I die after triggering the checkpoint after moving the crane, when I load that checkpoint my objectives tell me Dmitri has both escaped AND died, and the checkpoint on the map for the main objective jumps way back to the beginning of the level. I can find the train and the mission will continue, but I'm a bit wary of completing the mission what with it saying that Dmitri has died. Do I just have to very carefully complete the mission without ever dying or loading?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Squee posted:

I can't decide whether this is horrifying because most of his loving face has melted away, or hilarious because it's like some demented non-anime version of :keke:. Probably a little of both. :ohdear:

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
I'm in the middle of my 3rd playthrough (actually playthrough 3 and a half, since I got bored with being a good guy last time and wanted to try joining Halbech), and I have a few questions.

1. How early can I find out about Scarlett being the assassin? My first playthrough she shot me at the end then revealed her true identity, and the second time she just took off after she tried to kill Sung.

2. Who does Mina actually work for? During the second playthrough she let slip that she's working for someone besides Alpha Protocol, but she refused to say who. My last incomplete playthrough was partnering up with G22, since I guessed she was working with them, but I never got any more info on Mina.

3. How do you find out that Madison is Parker's daughter? I keep reading about it, but I don't know how to get that bit of dossier info in the game.

4. Why does this game have guns besides the almighty pistol? The shotgun and assault rifle can clear out rooms like nobody's business, but they can't compare to a gun that lets you silently clear a room without popping out from cover.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

diegetic poster posted:

I'm in the middle of my 3rd playthrough (actually playthrough 3 and a half, since I got bored with being a good guy last time and wanted to try joining Halbech), and I have a few questions.

1. How early can I find out about Scarlett being the assassin? My first playthrough she shot me at the end then revealed her true identity, and the second time she just took off after she tried to kill Sung.

2. Who does Mina actually work for? During the second playthrough she let slip that she's working for someone besides Alpha Protocol, but she refused to say who. My last incomplete playthrough was partnering up with G22, since I guessed she was working with them, but I never got any more info on Mina.

1. Not until a particular room in the finale.

2. They never confirm it. You get information that she was with the NSA, but it's spotty whether that's actually current, and the fact that her handshake codes are off suggests otherwise. I always suspected G22.

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008

Squee posted:

Two things you should try:

1) Check video card temperature. I had this poo poo in Medal of Honor when my GF5700LE overheated after 10 mins of gameplay of a random game. I sought help and I was told that it gets too hot after heavy load of graphics, so electrons move wrongly and 3D vertex data gets messy or some crap like that. Fact is, better cooler and lowering graphics helped.

2) Downgrade drivers. This works also quite often.

Woohoo fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 13, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

diegetic poster posted:

3. How do you find out that Madison is Parker's daughter? I keep reading about it, but I don't know how to get that bit of dossier info in the game.

Get her to like you in Rome, get as much intel on her as you can, then when you return from a mission, choose to wake her up rather than let her sleep. Chat for a while and she'll give you enough info to figure out the rest. I don't know if you have to sleep with her as well to trigger this conversation, although I did.

quote:

4. Why does this game have guns besides the almighty pistol? The shotgun and assault rifle can clear out rooms like nobody's business, but they can't compare to a gun that lets you silently clear a room without popping out from cover.

Because the game's balance is completely hosed and pistols and stealth are both comically overpowered compared to everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

diegetic poster posted:

3. You have to max out Madison's dossier (there's one piece you can buy, one you get upon introduction, one in the villa, and one in the ruins) and have good rep with her. Also, after the first of the two missions you do after meeting her - warehouse or ruins - question her about her terminal use. After getting the option to sleep with her (it doesn't matter if you do or not), Mike will press the issue and she'll spill her father's identity.

4. Because the gameplay is broken and unbalanced as gently caress.

edit: hey Toxicfrog we're mortal enemies now, just givin you the heads-up

• Locked thread