Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

How about getting her to shoot Leland?

That's easy. After she shoots Mike, Mike will automatically start convincing her that Leland isn't going to pay her (how he convinces her depends on his conversation posture).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Oxxidation posted:

3. You have to max out Madison's dossier (there's one piece you can buy, one you get upon introduction, one in the villa, and one in the ruins) and have good rep with her. Also, after the first of the two missions you do after meeting her - warehouse or ruins - question her about her terminal use. After getting the option to sleep with her (it doesn't matter if you do or not), Mike will press the issue and she'll spill her father's identity.

Mike's moment when he figures this out is one of my favorite moments in the game in regards to voice acting. He sounds legitimately stunned.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

ToxicFrog posted:

Because the game's balance is completely hosed and pistols and stealth are both comically overpowered compared to everything else.

It's good to err on the side of caution, but I don't think that's a spoiler.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

edit: hey Toxicfrog we're mortal enemies now, just givin you the heads-up

Good to know, I'll get the bees ready.

Doc Hawkins posted:

It's good to err on the side of caution, but I don't think that's a spoiler.

Yeah, with all the questions in spoilers I kind of got into a groove.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Haven't been able to play for three days now because of work and my wife's online class. I'm getting antsy. I'm also spazzing out over what missions to do in what order for my jet-setting veteran run because I want to see everything at once and I know I can't!

I've done all the "meet and greet" missions everywhere I can, and my interview with Marburg he looked like he was on the verge of reaching over to smack the smug out of me.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I assume pretty much everyone here makes their Thorton look like this, right?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Noxville posted:

Beanie and the slightly smaller beard for me.

And rear end in a top hat Mike had the light-catching laser-eye rimless glases and stylized hair.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

This game has a bunch of surprising comments on what you wear at times, but does it ever comment on glasses, hats or giant beards?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Noxville posted:

I think Veteran Thorton is more of a clean-shaven beret-and-mirror-shades type of guy. It fits the Veteran dialogue with Darcy beautifully, IMO.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Nehru the Damaja posted:

And rear end in a top hat Mike had the light-catching laser-eye rimless glases and stylized hair.

Same glasses, but backwards baseball cap and circle beard is the best rear end in a top hat Thorton.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I just finished the museum mission in Rome, where I chose to disarm the bombs. I have a question regarding something available on Clearinghouse right now, though. It's the third tier stealth armor, but buying it will require basically all my funds at the moment. I'm just curious if I'll need money immediately for intel or such that'll pop up shortly, or if the armor'll vanish from the purchase list before I can get more cash. I don't want to miss my chance to get it if so. :ohdear:

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Kitfox88 posted:

I just finished the museum mission in Rome, where I chose to disarm the bombs. I have a question regarding something available on Clearinghouse right now, though. It's the third tier stealth armor, but buying it will require basically all my funds at the moment. I'm just curious if I'll need money immediately for intel or such that'll pop up shortly, or if the armor'll vanish from the purchase list before I can get more cash. I don't want to miss my chance to get it if so. :ohdear:

You can always sell extra ammo and that sort of thing, it's usually enough to buy you the intel you need. As for the armor - select it and go into the 'extra info' part, it should say which faction is selling it. I think it's G22 but I don't remember exactly. As long as you don't do anything to piss them off entirely then it should continue to be available for sale.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by

Noxville posted:

I'm having a lot of fun doing a veteran, civilian clothes only playthrough right now. I change my hat, facial hair, glasses and skin tone to match where I'm at (you aren't that good of a spy if you're sneaking around Moscow with snow everywhere while sporting a tan, or you're in Saudi Arabia looking like you haven't seen the sun in a month). And you just have to play the Moscow missions in an ushanka and lumberjack beard.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Kitfox88 posted:

IIRC, items only disappear from the clearinghouse after you purchase them. The stealth armor should be there indefinitely, but that armor is pretty boss so I'd go ahead and get it. :cool:

Plus, don't forget to occasionally check your inventory for things to sell - particularly unique weapons you get from defeating bosses that you aren't specialized in.

e: oh duh, I forgot that as you travel to hubs items unlock in the clearinghouse if you're friendly with certain people. If it's not available in one place, I think you should be able to travel to another hub you've previously worked in and have it available.

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 13, 2011

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
I just sperged out for an hour trying to identify the used and unused music tracks for the ending. From what I can make out they are:
Xhibit - Dying to Live
Pleasure Club - Cops and Criminals
Our Lady Peace - One Man Army
The Lonely Island - I'm on a boat
Stephan Clark - Wanna feel it
Unkle (feat Gavin Clark) - Broken
Stabbing Westward - Save Yourself.

In addition I came across the composer's website and he has posted a bunch of tracks from the game. A couple of tracks have malformed urls but you can fix them by removing the "\" next to the "'".

Noxville posted:

I can't not make my Thorton look like this.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, I sold the Gold plated AK because I need no weapon that pimped on a stealth oriented guy. Even if the stealth consists of getting close enough to punch someone in the throat then shooting everyone with a pistol. :v:

And I was worried since after Saudi Arabia a few things had vanished, but if it's related to people liking/disliking you I guess that makes sense. I'm also curious if Marburg running away at the end of the Rome Museum level was because I took too long or what. This game makes me question everything because of the massive level of spoiler boxes in this thread.

Kitfox88 fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 14, 2011

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.

Kitfox88 posted:

Yeah, I sold the Gold plated AK because I need no weapon that pimped on a stealth oriented guy. Even if the stealth consists of getting close enough to punch someone in the throat then shooting everyone with a pistol. :v:

And I was worried since after Saudi Arabia a few things had vanished, but if it's related to people liking/disliking you I guess that makes sense. I'm also curious if Marburg running away at the end of the Rome Museum level was because I took too long or what. This game makes me question everything because of the massive level of spoiler boxes in this thread.

Marburg info: He always runs away there unless you have taken some very specific steps to make him fight you to the death. He is a cautious cool headed guy, he knows when he's beaten and prefers to live another day than let himself die.

EDIT: Also I fixed your spoiler tags because your usage pretty much gives absolutely everything away you were trying to hide.

Mistikman fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 13, 2011

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

:aaaaa: The music changes between endings? It can actually be "I'm on a boat"?!

Someone confirm or clarify, please.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Kitfox88 posted:

It sometimes quite interesting to look into the sources of where you are getting weapons. The classic case is Nasri is the main weapon dealer in Saudi. If you kill him you cut yourself off from the good stuff. Most of the major factions such as G22/VCI will sell you stuff as well as the independent operators like Heck and Gregori(I could be wrong but I think how you treat Grigori effects the prices you get from him as well)

As for your spoiler there is a way to get that scene to play out differently but it is not time related but rather your relationship with that character and without going into spoilers it's one of the most satisfying bits of the game.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

I'm on a boat is in the game files but unfortunately it doesn't occur in game. I think there are three different tracks that can play at the end depending on what ending you take. Save Yourself, Cops and Criminals, and Wanna Feel it.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Kitfox88 posted:

Marburg is an old man who hatesyoung whipersnapperswho act like smug dicks.

Doc Hawkins posted:

It was going to be the ending for leaving on the boat with Steven Heck. Presumably it wasn't included because Obsidian are THE WORST DEVELOPERS EVER

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Category Fun! posted:

Marburg is an old man who hatesyoung whipersnapperswho act like smug dicks.

It was going to be the ending for leaving on the boat with Steven Heck. Presumably it wasn't included because Obsidian are THE WORST DEVELOPERS EVER

It's okay, I've got it queued up to play on my computer.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Nehru the Damaja posted:

But this hat is great for ruining the blocking of cutscenes

BIFF!
Jan 4, 2009
So, on my second playthrough on Recruit, I decided to edit the APLevelChart.ini to give myself essentially infinite AP and level up every skill to max. However, hacking is now essentially impossible. I'm on the last Saudi Arabia mission and I have to hack a door to progress to the next part of the mission. I'm out of EMPs and I literally cannot complete the hack in the time allotted. I never had a single problem with hacking (besides the controls) in my first playthrough. Did I screw myself by adding too many points in a skill tree or something? This is on easy by the way.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Hank Morgan posted:

I just sperged out for an hour trying to identify the used and unused music tracks for the ending. From what I can make out they are:
Xhibit - Dying to Live
Our Lady Peace - One Man Army
The Lonely Island - I'm on a boat
Unkle (feat Gavin Clark) - Broken
Stabbing Westward - Save Yourself.

In addition I came across the composer's website and he has posted a bunch of tracks from the game. A couple of tracks have malformed urls but you can fix them by removing the "\" next to the "'".
Too bad they didn't use that UNKLE track, it's good. Thanks for the link -- looks like you can download the nice Vivaldi-esque theme to Marburg's villa. Say what you will about the man, he had taste. :3:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

BIFF! posted:

Did I screw myself by adding too many points in a skill tree or something?

Hacking difficulty is determined by your number of AP. By adding a huge amount, you made the hacking much more difficult.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

BIFF! posted:

So, on my second playthrough on Recruit, I decided to edit the APLevelChart.ini to give myself essentially infinite AP and level up every skill to max. However, hacking is now essentially impossible. I'm on the last Saudi Arabia mission and I have to hack a door to progress to the next part of the mission. I'm out of EMPs and I literally cannot complete the hack in the time allotted. I never had a single problem with hacking (besides the controls) in my first playthrough. Did I screw myself by adding too many points in a skill tree or something? This is on easy by the way.

Hacking difficulty is determined by how many AP you have spent. if you have lots of AP then the hacking difficulty spikes way up high to compensate!

BIFF!
Jan 4, 2009
Welp. Is there any way to edit the timers on hacking minigames? I'm guessing there isn't and I'll have to start over...

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Mistikman posted:

EDIT: Also I fixed your spoiler tags because your usage pretty much gives absolutely everything away you were trying to hide.

I'm bad with this stuff, yeah. I edited the post to reflect your changes. :shobon:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Holy gently caress! At the end of Moscow I'm going for Judge, Jury and Executioner achievement and I just executed Albatross at Brayko's. This is the first time I've executed my handler and that poo poo was COLD!

Hard mode is going okay, of course I am cheesing it with pistols/stealth. Surkov's rescue was rough because I forgot to buy the sniper rifle or it didn't spawn, but smart use of Chain Shot, Iron Will, Fury and a few incendiary grenades made short work of the fight.

EDIT: Also, the blood from the dead person is black, I think it was a life model decoy, which would totally fit with that organization.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 14, 2011

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Soonmot posted:

Holy gently caress! At the end of Moscow I'm going for Judge, Jury and Executioner achievement and I just executed Albatross at Brayko's. This is the first time I've executed my handler and that poo poo was COLD!

Hard mode is going okay, of course I am cheesing it with pistols/stealth. Surkov's rescue was rough because I forgot to buy the sniper rifle or it didn't spawn, but smart use of Chain Shot, Iron Will, Fury and a few incendiary grenades made short work of the fight.

EDIT: Also, the blood from the dead person is black, I think it was a life model decoy, which would totally fit with that organization.

Hah! Life model decoy. I like your style, man.

I need to actually try out a Bastard Run sooner or later. I always wimp out and try to get everyone on my good side.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Things the game does not explicitly react to that I wish it did (list in progress):
  1. Wearing the hospital gown for as long as possible.
  2. Sparing Sis but killing Albatross.
  3. Beards
  4. ?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Doc Hawkins posted:

Things the game does not explicitly react to that I wish it did (list in progress):
Yeah, I remember the first time I refused to change out of it, I was hoping I would stay in the gown in Saudi Arabia. No such luck. :(

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

2. Sparing Sis but killing Albatross.
  3. Beards
  4. ?

It doesn't differentiate between reasons for Mina hating you - either by being a dick to her or killing innocent(ish) people wherever you go. I would've liked a dialogue path based on slaughtering people but still being cordial and flirty with Mina. The best we get is some slight variation in Suave dialogue reactions if you have negative Rep with her.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Hank Morgan posted:

Finally downloaded these, and they're jammin'. I wonder if the game was ever actually slated to feature a "C-130 Tailgating Party at 10,000 feet"?

CerebralDonut
Mar 5, 2004

Doc Hawkins posted:

Finally downloaded these, and they're jammin'. I wonder if the game was ever actually slated to feature a "C-130 Tailgating Party at 10,000 feet"?

I think the guy who made these might actually be the brother of a goon. I've seen him posting about how his bro made the music for Dead Space. Cool to know he made the music for this game too.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Doc Hawkins posted:

I think Compte mentioned there use to be a mission that took place while you were jumping out of an airplane?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Looking to complete my Alpha Protocol music collection, and I can't find these two songs:

Hank Morgan posted:

Are those names right? Is there something I'm missing?

e:

Yo Lonely Island, I'm'a let you finish, but Tennessee X has the greatest AP ending track of all time.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 14, 2011

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.

Doc Hawkins posted:

How long can you continue to wear it, just until the first Saudi Arabia mission? If I'm not mistaken Westridge makes a comment about it during the de-briefing right before you leave for the first mission there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Soonmot posted:

The goon who played through an entire run of AP with some video card problem that caused text not to show on the dialogue wheel did this on accident.

He was hoping to abandon Albatross, but the option he picked at random had him go save him. And then he shows up and blasts him in the head.. Alpha Protocol without text on the dialogue wheel is just this hilarious Kafkaesque nightmare game.

• Locked thread