Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The goon who played through an entire run of AP with some video card problem that caused text not to show on the dialogue wheel did this on accident.

He was hoping to abandon Albatross, but the option he picked at random had him go save him. And then he shows up and blasts him in the head.. Alpha Protocol without text on the dialogue wheel is just this hilarious Kafkaesque nightmare game.

Someone must have been spying on about Albatross, he knew he had done nothing wrong but, one morning, he was captured. Every day at
eight in the morning he was brought his breakfast by Sis - Sis was his bodyguard - but today she didn't come. There was immediately a knock at the door and a man entered. He had never seen the man in this house before. He was slim but firmly built, his clothes were purple and garish, looking like an entire coterie of gay cheetahs had died for it, all of which gave the impression of being very objectionable to fashion but without making it very clear why anyone would ever wear this.

Turn up the Kafka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Oxxidation posted:

It doesn't differentiate between reasons for Mina hating you - either by being a dick to her or killing innocent(ish) people wherever you go. I would've liked a dialogue path based on slaughtering people but still being cordial and flirty with Mina. The best we get is some slight variation in Suave dialogue reactions if you have negative Rep with her.
People in the thread mentioned that you can do that - kill everyone you meet, but be nice to Mina, and it will totally freak her out (did anyone have video proof?)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Xander77 posted:

People in the thread mentioned that you can do that - kill everyone you meet, but be nice to Mina, and it will totally freak her out (did anyone have video proof?)

People in this thread were wrong. I know the line they're talking about, and the conversation goes something like:

Mina: "Did the audio just glitch or was that a compliment?"
Mike: "I'm not an rear end in a top hat all the time, Mina."

Said after the only, only thing I'd done wrong was slaughter an entire facility of CIA (okay and several police [possibly some security guards as well]).

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Exercu posted:

Someone must have been spying on about Albatross, he knew he had done nothing wrong but, one morning, he was captured. Every day at
eight in the morning he was brought his breakfast by Sis - Sis was his bodyguard - but today she didn't come. There was immediately a knock at the door and a man entered. He had never seen the man in this house before. He was slim but firmly built, his clothes were purple and garish, looking like an entire coterie of gay cheetahs had died for it, all of which gave the impression of being very objectionable to fashion but without making it very clear why anyone would ever wear this.

Turn up the Kafka.

Fantastic.

I remember that guy from the last thread. At first I thought he was making a running gag when he said he kept "accidentally" killing people.

The most confusing part of playing Alpha Protocol like that must have been coming to the thread and reading us gush about the choice and the replayability and the oy.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Xander77 posted:

I don't think it does since the dialogue with her is just based on how many + or - points you have

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Looking to complete my Alpha Protocol music collection, and I can't find these two songs:

Are those names right? Is there something I'm missing?

e:

Yo Lonely Island, I'm'a let you finish, but Tennessee X has the greatest AP ending track of all time.

I confirmed Cops and Criminals by finding a live performance of the track on Youtube and the other track is listed in the credits but I could find no further info on it. The artist may be a Stephan or a Steven not Heck.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Speaking of music that didn't make it into the game, I lead a strong campaign to score (moscow) have Brayko give one final fist pump as he dies as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpc7TBhilFI begins to play, freezeframe

That was actually before the rewrite and would have worked better then, but I still like the idea.

Also, Lazo's Yacht used to be Brayko's yacht and there was a giant poster above the bed that said FRANKIE SAY RELAX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPLrXFw76Qg By the way, if you've never seen the original video for Relax, you MUST WATCH NOW

edit: i'm caligula in this video, it is me

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jul 14, 2011

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Just beat my first playthrough, on recruit. Fun as it was the newsreel over the credits was a bit of a kick in the gut, for a wimp used to games that wrap poo poo up in a nice present and let you make the world a perfect place.

On the other hand, I god drat love this game so I'm sure I'll have plenty of chances later to try and get something I'm happier with. Starting with the adventures of :bustem: Veteran Mike and Heck.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Does SIE comment on the statues in Marburg's villa? The ones where Mina tells you "all my boyfriends were fully equipped" and Madison tells you that Marburg is gay

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

white hum posted:

Does SIE comment on the statues in Marburg's villa? The ones where Mina tells you "all my boyfriends were fully equipped" and Madison tells you that Marburg is gay

Yes. I just can't remember the precise quote right now; something along the lines of "a bit chilly for my tastes."

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
What am I to do with Surkov? He dies before I even get there half of the time. Am I to turn into a a jet plane or something?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Kitfox88 posted:

Just beat my first playthrough, on recruit. Fun as it was the newsreel over the credits was a bit of a kick in the gut, for a wimp used to games that wrap poo poo up in a nice present and let you make the world a perfect place.

On the other hand, I god drat love this game so I'm sure I'll have plenty of chances later to try and get something I'm happier with. Starting with the adventures of :bustem: Veteran Mike and Heck.

newsreel over the credits? :confused: All I remember was the credits and the music, like you would get if you clicked the credit screen from the main menu. Did my game do something strange or is it something that plays in the background and I am terribly unobservant?

Dr I am a Doctor
Mar 3, 2011

by T. Finn
Just finished Taipei, and I'm going in Rome->Taipei->Moscow order. It wasn't nearly as much fun as Rome, everything maybe except the hotel mission was pretty boring. I don't want to work with Steve anymore please tell me I can kill him later :(

e: supposedly not a spoiler

Dr I am a Doctor fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 14, 2011

joneswt
Feb 22, 2011

Holy Cheese posted:

What am I to do with Surkov? He dies before I even get there half of the time. Am I to turn into a a jet plane or something?

Nah, the courtyard is way too small for a bombing run; you'll kill Surkov too. Then you'll fly into the sun.

joneswt fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 14, 2011

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Lotish posted:

newsreel over the credits? :confused: All I remember was the credits and the music, like you would get if you clicked the credit screen from the main menu. Did my game do something strange or is it something that plays in the background and I am terribly unobservant?

While the credits are running and the images of people you met are showing up on the sides and whatnot, you should hear the two newscasters that show up whenever you turn on the TV discussing more or less the outcome of some of your choices. There's no text or subtitles or anything, it's just a voice track. So if you weren't listening it's possible to totally miss it, I guess. :v:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Dr I am a Doctor posted:

I don't want to work with Steve anymore please tell me I can kill him later :(

How does it feel to be the only person on the planet with this opinion? (the spoiler isn't really a spoiler btw)

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

How does it feel to be the only person on the planet with this opinion? (the spoiler isn't really a spoiler btw)

I think he's actually one of the few people in the game you never get to kill but I wouldn't know because no one has ever tried.

Dr I am a Doctor
Mar 3, 2011

by T. Finn
Well excuse me for not wanting to work with a dangerous psychopath. (I thought he was a spoiler, sorry)

e: ^ nooooo

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

2 people. Heck is unfunny and annoying to me, but I can see why people like him

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Holy Cheese posted:

You can sprint to him as well.

If you sided with G22 you can get a sniper rifle as an intel buy, it's located up on the roof overlooking the courtyard and can make it a breeze if you get to it quickly. Alternatively you can stock up on incendiaries and other gadgets and start tossing them like mad.
One trick is that if you are too violent with Grigori in the bar he will warn the embassy that you are coming and the standard guards will be replaced with heavily armed marines which is a help as long as you don't turn them hostile on you.
Beyond that it's just a matter of trying to keep the attackers off off Surkov. You should try and get them to shoot at you rather than Surkov. Stay around the centre of the courtyard and they should target you more often. Chainshot-brilliance abuse helps a lot here.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Ok I finally got this game working. The mouse issue is just this: OneFrameThreadLag=false. That's all I needed to do to fix the game. None of the other stuff. So when I tried it all it just made my game worse.

This stuff: UseBackgroundLevelStreaming=false
OnlyStreamInTextures=true

may hurt performance if you have 1-2gigs of RAM, which I have. I had to crawl through some unreal 3 engine forums to find out the specifics about which thing has an effect on what. Those two should be used if you have freezing every few seconds. The first one solves the mouse issue.

So yeah, I played Saudi, Rome, and on the last mission on Taipei. Great game so far, but when are games going to stop using the U3 engine? I mean it looks good but it has some serious issues. What's weird is that developers keep making games without resolving these issues. I mean, why hasn't there been a patch since 1.1 to fix these things or better yet why doesn't Epic do it? Ah well, back to AP.

Thanks for those that tried to help me get playing this.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
So is [Moscow] talking your way into the embassy the only way to avoid the post-mission brief glitch?

Dr I am a Doctor
Mar 3, 2011

by T. Finn
One more thing
How do I get the dialogue options subtitles like in here (spoilers)? Without them I have no idea what I'm going to say.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Dr I am a Doctor posted:

One more thing
How do I get the dialogue options subtitles like in here (spoilers)? Without them I have no idea what I'm going to say.

Turn off anti aliasing in your video card driver.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Dr I am a Doctor posted:

One more thing

If you mean the dialog wheel then that's a known bug with forced AA on some graphics cards. Just disable AA in your control panel. There should be clearer instructions in the OP about this. Or you can leave it like that and come back and tell us where picking random dialog choices led you.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Dr I am a Doctor posted:

One more thing

Your graphics card is probably forcing AntiAliasing, you need to turn it off.

dmccaff
Nov 8, 2010
Just finished the game. Where was I supposed to encounter this SIE person? I never came across her at all and noticed she was a handler option in the final mission.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Hank Morgan posted:

If you mean the dialog wheel then that's a known bug with forced AA on some graphics cards. Just disable AA in your control panel. There should be clearer instructions in the OP about this. Or you can leave it like that and come back and tell us where picking random dialog choices led you.

I wish there were a randomizer mod that would block out dialogue choices and randomize their position on the wheel so you don't get a feel for which options go where.

The Alpha Protocol Kafka Mod would be amazing.

Best part about the guy who played the whole game without dialog labels: Everyone was like "didn't you ever suspect something was wrong?" and he replied "well I was really high when I was playing so I didn't really think it through."

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

dmccaff posted:

Just finished the game. Where was I supposed to encounter this SIE person? I never came across her at all and noticed she was a handler option in the final mission.

You skipped Leningradski Station in Moscow didn't you?

Dr I am a Doctor
Mar 3, 2011

by T. Finn

Hank Morgan posted:

Or you can leave it like that and come back and tell us where picking random dialog choices led you.
Oh I will, it's full of surprises and random executions :v: Thanks!

dmccaff
Nov 8, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

You skipped Leningradski Station in Moscow didn't you?

Just looked that up on YouTube and it seems I did skip it somehow. I don't remember purposely skipping a mission though... I usually did them all in order from top to bottom as they were presented in the mission choice screen.

dmccaff fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 14, 2011

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

dmccaff posted:

Just looked that up on YouTube and it seems I did skip it somehow. I don't remember purposely skipping a mission though... I usually did them all in order from top to bottom as they were presented in the mission choice screen.

I think it's possible for you to go to the embassy while the train station mission is still active (and the embassy mission will pop to the top of the list), and doing so will cause the train station to stop being offered.

Not sure how much of that is a spoiler, but better safe than sorry with this game, I guess.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

dmccaff posted:

As much as I don't really care for Sie, she's totally worth finding in another playthrough if just to see the loving awesome attack on Brayko's mansion that makes G22 look like a bunch of boring chumps.

The Viper
Oct 4, 2009
Finished first playthrough, and the one I'll forever consider the 'true' Thorton.

It ended as it should have, with my newly minted pacifist Mike sparing everyone, romancing and subsequently saving Mina, and Leland getting iced by the assassin, Halbech and Alpha Protocol collapsing around his ears. Me and Heck rode into the sunset on a boat for beers, good times, and presumably some gay sex at some point.

Now, it's just about time for aggressive, bearded sociopath Thorton to pull into the station! Choo Choo Motherfuckers!

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

dmccaff posted:

Look for missions that have an Alpha symbol on them. Any time you do one of those, it will close off any other missions you currently have available.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Nehru the Damaja posted:

As much as I don't really care for Sie, she's totally worth finding in another playthrough if just to see the loving awesome attack on Brayko's mansion that makes G22 look like a bunch of boring chumps.

After I sided with Sie in [Moscow stuff]the embassy mission she remained my handler for the mansion mission as well. After that I had the usual after mission wrap in Taipei where I talked to Albatross but beyond that I never got an option to contact him for things like the end mission. Does he just drop the alliance thing if you use Sie at all? Is it the same the other way around?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Lotish posted:

After I sided with Sie in [Moscow stuff]the embassy mission she remained my handler for the mansion mission as well. After that I had the usual after mission wrap in Taipei where I talked to Albatross but beyond that I never got an option to contact him for things like the end mission. Does he just drop the alliance thing if you use Sie at all? Is it the same the other way around?

Yeah. It's not really clear whether they're at cross purposes or the game just needs one hero and one villain here.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
I hate Surkov, just saying.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Holy Cheese posted:

I hate Surkov, just saying.

Which makes shooting him in the leg all the more satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Lazyhound posted:

Which makes shooting him in the leg all the more satisfying.

But it's even more satisfying to let Brayko "talk" to him.

• Locked thread