Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Stelas posted:

Not even vaguely. Last Remnant is about directing squads of characters to act in certain ways, and managing whether they're in battle or not at a given time. Within each squad, it's more like Saga Frontier.

Tales of Vesperia is the 360 gold standard for involved battle systems as far as I'm concerned.

I was thinking of Infinite Undiscovery, you're right.

I'll have to check out Tales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

SatansBestBuddy posted:

It's the Extreme Volleyball of the Final Fantasy series.

Yes, if the Extreme Volleyball games had really excellent beach volleyball which, judging by about half an hour of playtime, they do not.

Now you've got in my head a deep volleyball game with role-playing elements and over-the-top moves, levelling up, skill points, etc.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

quote:

A higher Battle makes you learn skills faster

It also makes your stats increase a lot faster as well.

quote:

Other than stat differences (seems like some weapons have higher physical attack or higher magic attack), are there any differences between using, say, an Axe or a Katana or a Broadsword on Rush? Is there anything different about leveling power grip from one handed weapons? I can't seem to see that combat arts do anything but damage, so I'm kind of lost as to what I should try to do with Rush.

Aside from what's been mentioned, the different wield styles gives you different damage vs defense output. Dual Wield has a lowered chance for Critical Defense, and Shield + Weapon has an increased chance. Different weapon types also get different Critical Offense rates but I don't really recall what is what.

Another difference (though unlikely to matter unless you're power gaming) is that there are different classes available depending on what weapon or wield styles are your highest.

quote:

Each combat style has four general techs, then two more high level techs per specific weapon type e.g. for one-handed style, you'll always get Smash, Crossbreak, Switchback and Dragon's Flight. If you're using a sword, you'll also get Dragon's Tail and Victory Sweep. If you're using a katana you'll get Moonset and Moonshadow instead. The active differences between them are largely minimal except where some skills are area-effect.

Also, even after that, there are unique Weapon Arts you can only get by equiping specific weapons, with specific styles. And there are a few Remnant Arts that work the same way.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I don't know why everyone is so mad at FFX-2. Square was pretty honest about what the game was when they advertised it. They even used the opening cutscene as the trailer for the game. I don't think anyone accidentally bought it expecting it to be something else. I'm a sucker for RPG's with job systems though. All this talk of FFX-2 did remind me of something terrible though. When you get the relatively expensive final upgrade of the scan ability, the only thing it lets you do is scan yourself. As far as I can tell the only thing this does is let you rotate the camera to get upskirt shots.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

A slight segue from the Last Remnant talk, but do the Square Enix Member sites for US & EU each use different types of codes for registering games? My PC copy of TLR that came in today is the EU version and the registration code in the manual is a different format than what you usually see packaged with games here in the US.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

rodbeard posted:

I don't know why everyone is so mad at FFX-2. Square was pretty honest about what the game was when they advertised it. They even used the opening cutscene as the trailer for the game. I don't think anyone accidentally bought it expecting it to be something else.

I wouldn't say I'm mad or anything, I borrowed it from a friend years after it came out. I'm just disappointed because they've got some really excellent mechanics in there, buried under a pile of very unappealing crap. I'll play through it, but a lot of people will dismiss it and think I'm weird when I say it's actually a very fun game.

rodbeard posted:

I'm a sucker for RPG's with job systems though.

:hfive:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'm still debating whether to get an action or turn based rpg for a trip. But from the former group I was considering one of the Ys PSP games. Which one would make a better introduction: Oath in Felghana or 7?

(turnbased game would be Trails)

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I'm still debating whether to get an action or turn based rpg for a trip. But from the former group I was considering one of the Ys PSP games. Which one would make a better introduction: Oath in Felghana or 7?

(turnbased game would be Trails)

Seven is the more modern and accessible game, but makes some notable changes to the formula (multiple playable characters, no jump button, etc). Oath in Felghana is more representative of the series as a whole, but has certain old-school trappings (dated visuals, lack of a map system, just being hard as hell).

I personally prefer OiF but I think Seven makes for a better starting point.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Felghana is a lot, lot better than 7. Get Oath in Felghana.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
You really can't go wrong with any of those games. I'd give a slight edge to Oath myself, as well, since I think the plot's a bit more engaging, although I find the boss fights a bit difficult on the PSP (they really get you active and you have to pay attention to a lot on the screen, which is hard when the screen's like 500x250). I really hope we might get a PC version of Oath over here officially.

Really, though, YS Seven, Oath, or Trails in the Sky, you can't go wrong with any of 'em (even if Trails' script falls a little flat in the proper Chapter 1 area around Bose). Falcom is Good Stuff.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks for the advice.

Something I should've asked initially: would the Ys games individually keep me occupied for 20-30 hours or would that be a stretch? I'm going to be in transit for quite a while.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I got Radiant Historia for the DS at a con I went to this past weekend. I got to Chapter 1 on both timelines and So far so good. Honestly though I think I can guess who the big bad villan is going to be and I don;t quite understand the story's explnation for why events that happen in one timeline effect events in the other.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 14, 2011

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Rinkles posted:

Something I should've asked initially: would the Ys games individually keep me occupied for 20-30 hours or would that be a stretch? I'm going to be in transit for quite a while.

Felghana and 6 are both in the range of 12-15 hours as I recall. Ys7 is closer to 30+.

I think I've asked this before but was the Ys1&2 port on PSP any good or not?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I think I've asked this before but was the Ys1&2 port on PSP any good or not?

It's Ys 1&2. How much you will enjoy it depends entirely on how much you enjoy the "bump and run" gameplay.

They're unquestionably the best versions of I&II ever made (multiple soundtrack options, further polish on top of the already excellent I&II Complete base package, looks great on the PSP screen, etc) but your ability to enjoy them will depend completely and entirely on whether or you enjoy the bump and run gameplay of "classic" Ys and whether or not the intentionally sparse plot would annoy you.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

BigRed0427 posted:

I got Radiant Historia.I don;t quite understand the story's explnation for why events that happen in one timeline effect events in the other.

Oh man this bugged the hell out of me. I tried to bring it up a few times in the Radiant Historia thread but I always got the "its just a video game" spiel. Basically, it just happens, so deal with it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

casual poster posted:

Oh man this bugged the hell out of me. I tried to bring it up a few times in the Radiant Historia thread but I always got the "its just a video game" spiel. Basically, it just happens, so deal with it.
Having picked up the game based on this thread's recommendation, the answer seems to be so they have an excuse to go "HEY YOU SHOULD GO PLAY THE OTHER TIMELINE SOME NOW". I'm a little disappointed, honestly, I was expecting you'd need to get information and maybe objects from one timeline to do things in the other, not just literally "save guy, he's saved in the other timeline too".

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Zereth posted:

I was expecting you'd need to get information and maybe objects from one timeline to do things in the other

To be fair, these happen a few times in huge, plot-relevant ways. It's mostly sidequests needing fudged rules.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
there are lots of times you go hop timelines in order to grab information or specific items, generally to the confusion of the people you use them on.

I would swear that the game explained it somewhere in that it involves your magic macguffin having a sort of "autocorrect feature" but it involved some really late game spoilers so....

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Pretty sure the game just handwaves it away with something like "It creates waves through all of time when something is changed." I was pretty disappointed with it as a whole.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

The fact that the characters wouldnt take items out of my inventory to upgrade thier weapons bothered the hell out of me. I was enjoying the game until I realized that too, but the weight of all the other design decisions in TLR that I didnt like just came to a head when I couldnt give anyone all the Bear Asses they needed out of my huge stockpile of useless monster parts.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Meme Emulator posted:

The fact that the characters wouldnt take items out of my inventory to upgrade thier weapons bothered the hell out of me. I was enjoying the game until I realized that too, but the weight of all the other design decisions in TLR that I didnt like just came to a head when I couldnt give anyone all the Bear Asses they needed out of my huge stockpile of useless monster parts.

I was under the impression that they would eventually take materials out of your inventory to upgrade their weapons. There's been times where I've gotten materials ether through excavation points or through buying them and after some battles it'll say "<weapon> has been upgraded".

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I dont get the point of making everything so esoteric and silly, then. I realize that they might want to limit your options in battle to mimic what being a commander is like, your units make thier own decisions outside of your own general orders and do thier best to fulfill them. Ok, even though I dont agree with it (why take gameplay options away from the player?) at least it makes sense within the framework of what theyre trying to achive, Rush is the only character you fully control.

But then out of battle, why the gently caress cant I assign poo poo to my soldiers. Youre telling me I cant order people to requisition stuff out of the army stockpile. Take those loving bear asses you idiots.

People in Square Enix literally sat around a big office table and conciously made the design descision to strip as much decision making and player agency out of thier game as possible. Its infuriating.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Meme Emulator posted:

But then out of battle, why the gently caress cant I assign poo poo to my soldiers. Youre telling me I cant order people to requisition stuff out of the army stockpile. Take those loving bear asses you idiots.

Taking a bear rear end should be a decision that a soldier makes, not his commander. Those bear asses will change your life.

(It is dumb.)

Is this the game where you play a flute to reveal hidden areas, or is the Infinite Undiscovery? I remember playing one of them at a media event.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

TRL questions:

1) Do I have to sell captured monsters in multiple towns to unlock more materials at component shops? I've been selling all my monsters in Athlum and they've gotten in rarer materials from it, but I haven't seen anything in the other towns yet.

2) What's the point of the race-specific weapons you can have made at the customizer? Will appropriate party members ask for or equip them eventually?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

SpaceDrake posted:

It's Ys 1&2. How much you will enjoy it depends entirely on how much you enjoy the "bump and run" gameplay.

Oh I love 1&2, I was just wondering about the port itself.

iastudent posted:

I was under the impression that they would eventually take materials out of your inventory to upgrade their weapons. There's been times where I've gotten materials ether through excavation points or through buying them and after some battles it'll say "<weapon> has been upgraded".

If crafting bits are in Rush's inventory, nobody else can get access to them.

"<weapon> has been upgraded" might actually mean that the weapon improved to +1 or whatever. Individual weapons level up over extensive usage.

To some degree, characters can upgrade to new weapons without having all the components. I don't really get how it works exactly though, since I've definitely been stuck missing 1 piece on certain characters.

It's definitely the most annoying part of the game, there really should have been a dialog like, "Hey Rush I need such and such, can I have yours?" Or whatever.

iastudent posted:

TRL questions:

1) Do I have to sell captured monsters in multiple towns to unlock more materials at component shops? I've been selling all my monsters in Athlum and they've gotten in rarer materials from it, but I haven't seen anything in the other towns yet.

Pretty sure it doesn't matter where you sell them.

quote:

2) What's the point of the race-specific weapons you can have made at the customizer? Will appropriate party members ask for or equip them eventually?

Yeah, if it's a weapon along their upgrade path they'll eventually ask for it. They're kind of oddly specific about what they want though.

Alternatively to all this you can enable manually equipping the rest of your characters. Then you can just give whatever you want to them. This can get a little weird with overriding however: http://lastremnant.wikia.com/wiki/PC_Tweaking

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 14, 2011

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I don't know much about Ys Chronicles personally, but there's a pretty good LP happening right now of that exact port. He's about to finish Ys 1, so you can at least look at the gameplay footage and gauge if you'd like it or not. The LP's not that bad either.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
The ridiculous mess of collecting bear asses and not being able to actually give stuff to your characters is the worst part of TLR for me, too. I can't wrap my head around why everything is so cryptic and illogical, either. To sell strategy guides, I suppose?

The other thing that makes me want to put the game down is the halfwit main character. Seriously, Rush is up there with Tidus and Vaan, he's loving insufferable and would be the first character I'd ditch from my retinue if I could.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Dropbear posted:

The other thing that makes me want to put the game down is the halfwit main character. Seriously, Rush is up there with Tidus and Vaan, he's loving insufferable and would be the first character I'd ditch from my retinue if I could.

Thus is the real tragedy of the game, that they only had time to finish one of the characters.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Well, the randomness in TLR has yet to get to a point where I'm legitimately mad at it, so I'm letting those elements pass. Though my battle rank is starting to get to the point where most enemies get new attacks and those hurt like a mofo. :suicide:

I also just noticed under each character's desired items they also have their own gold count for some reason. You mean to say the reason why battles don't give any money is that my teammates are snatching all the riches behind my back? :mad:

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Dropbear posted:

The ridiculous mess of collecting bear asses and not being able to actually give stuff to your characters is the worst part of TLR for me, too. I can't wrap my head around why everything is so cryptic and illogical, either. To sell strategy guides, I suppose?

To make the players figure out for themselves, that's it. Like other SaGa games theres elements to the game that are cryptic by intent so that the players figure it out while playing. Like why the heck there's a trading mechanic to the shop's stocks in TLR.
Still love the game, 60 hours I put into it and there was only one side quest I didn't do, the drat secret boss, gently caress that guy.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Honest Thief posted:

To make the players figure out for themselves, that's it. Like other SaGa games theres elements to the game that are cryptic by intent so that the players figure it out while playing. Like why the heck there's a trading mechanic to the shop's stocks in TLR.

Well, the cryptic part I can sort-of understand, but the completely illogical poo poo I can't. Why does the "Use mystic arts" command use fewer mystic arts than "heal the other squad"? Who does only like one or two characters from my unions use their skills even when the rest have an absolute asston of AP to pump into them too? Why can't I give items to my squadmates? Why can I make items for other classes, but can't actually give it to them (besides hacking the .ini file, and good luck trying to make them actually ask for the far, far superior weapon)? Nothing makes any goddamned sense.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Honest Thief posted:

Still love the game, 60 hours I put into it and there was only one side quest I didn't do, the drat secret boss, gently caress that guy.

Man that poo poo's there to sell strategy guides, having a weird rear end underlying mechanic that it would take a savant to understand has been a staple of JRPGs for a while and it's simply to force more cash out of players. There are varying degrees of how blatant it is but it is just a part of the niche.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

SheepNameKiller posted:

Man that poo poo's there to sell strategy guides, having a weird rear end underlying mechanic that it would take a savant to understand has been a staple of JRPGs for a while and it's simply to force more cash out of players. There are varying degrees of how blatant it is but it is just a part of the niche.

SaGa games have been doing this long before the strategy guide industry was viable. It's a hallmark of the series, and TLR really is a SaGa game through-and-through (from the little I've played so far). I don't dispute that this kind of obfuscation helps sell strategy guides but keep in mind that some games employ arcane mechanics for other reasons, such as an increased learning curve, a more individualized playing experience, or improved replay value. I personally think SaGa games and their ilk do this to hide the level-less power progression, as a way to make growth feel more natural.

This inventory poo poo, though... that's just poor game design.

vv 992 pages? Well that blows my argument right out of the water.

Captain Vittles fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 14, 2011

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

iastudent posted:

I also just noticed under each character's desired items they also have their own gold count for some reason. You mean to say the reason why battles don't give any money is that my teammates are snatching all the riches behind my back? :mad:
You have to sell captured monsters to make money. You can break them down into monster materials at the battle results screen, but you will lose out on selling them. Selling enough capped monsters will unlock new items to purchase in the shop, similar to how Shop Leveling worked in other SaGa games.

SheepNameKiller posted:

The Japanese The Last Remnant paperback guide is 992 pages. Yep.

All of the useful information from it has already been transferred to http://lastremnant.wikia.com

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Captain Vittles posted:

vv 992 pages? Well that blows my argument right out of the water.

Keep in mind that Japanese strategy guides, especially for RPGs and other games with a lot of data, tend to be enormous in general, with lots of padding in terms of illustrations and the like. 992 pages is on the large side but I've seen them bigger than that. I have a Monster Hunter guidebook that's something like 1200 pages long for example. And it still got mediocre reviews on Amazon since it left a few high-end weapon statistics as "????" rather than numbers. I guess Japanese consumers expect their mammoth game-guide bibles to contain every last conceivable piece of data in them, which is why they end up so huge.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

Captain Vittles posted:

SaGa games have been doing this long before the strategy guide industry was viable.

Strategy guides were a significant market in moonland at least as far back as the famicom era, so "before the strategy guide industry was viable" doesn't really hold water.

That said I do think it's pretty weak to just pull out the "they're obviously just doing it to sell strategy guides" argument as soon as there's the slightest bit of hidden content or obscured mechanics in a game. Figuring out how poo poo works or finding the hidden stuff IS a legitimate and enjoyable (YMMV of course) gameplay element.

(I'm not familiar enough with Last Remnant to have any no intention of defending (or accusing) it specifically.)

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Genpei Turtle posted:

I guess Japanese consumers expect their mammoth game-guide bibles to contain every last conceivable piece of data in them, which is why they end up so huge.

You're god damned right I expect a strategy guide have everything listed. Thats its entire reason for existence. It's not necessary to know the exact hit points/mana of every single monster in the entire bestiary but by god it better be there.

Besides, even if you're trying to preserve some 'mystery' by doing something like putting a high weapon stat as ????? somebody already figured it out and posted it online somewhere.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

In the end I opted to give XSEED ten extra dollars, and went with Trails in the Sky.

I'm anxious to get started but I've only got rather lovely hotel wireless access and no computer. So far I've been downloading the 1GB+ file for over four hours, and it's timed out twice already so I'm back to 5% now and 207 minutes left. Hopefully it actually loads before morning when I'll be leaving. MediaGo is so much less painful to use.

Thanks for the help and advice (I ultimately ignored) again.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Rinkles posted:

In the end I opted to give XSEED ten extra dollars, and went with Trails in the Sky.

I'm anxious to get started but I've only got rather lovely hotel wireless access and no computer. So far I've been downloading the 1GB+ file for over four hours, and it's timed out twice already so I'm back to 5% now and 207 minutes left. Hopefully it actually loads before morning when I'll be leaving. MediaGo is so much less painful to use.

Thanks for the help and advice (I ultimately ignored) again.

Just as fair warning: Trails starts a little slow (especially the 'proper' Chapter 1 around the city of Bose, which isn't helped by the flattest and least-inspired section of translation in the game) but if you can get through that (and it's still pretty fun), Chapter 2 and beyond are a lot of fun and the plot begins to Get Real. So don't feel too disappointed if it's slow at first.

(Just to note, the entire translation is still very good, even in Bose, the Bose section just loses a bit of... 'voice' compared to the rest of the game.)

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Well poo poo yet play I&II Chrons it's literally the single best version of the games ever made. I might still prefer the PC versions (yes, the re-re-ported it to PC after the PSP release, it's currently like the last Falcom PC release ever) but the PSP versions are extremely good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I take it Trails didn't garner sufficient interest for it's own thread?