Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DanManIt
Sep 5, 2008
Update for the thunderbolt was pushed out a couple days ago. Definite improvement with reboots and battery but it kills the free wireless hotspot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

DanManIt posted:

Update for the thunderbolt was pushed out a couple days ago. Definite improvement with reboots and battery but it kills the free wireless hotspot

Anyone know if the radio got updated? My 4g constantly completely dies (and it kills 3g, too) in a spot where 4g is at full blast and the phone isn't being touched. I'd update my radio the "illegitimate" way but then I'm pretty sure to even use it I have to update to Gingerbread which I don't want to do until it's officially rolled out (and will help iron out the kinks).

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

DanManIt posted:

My phone hasn't reset a single time since this last update. Pandora used to reboot my phone every few songs, which was so god damned annoying.

I really can't wait for GB to be released.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.
Was it pushed for everyone? I don't want to upgrade and get the old version that breaks poo poo. When I check for an update, it doesn't give a version, but the size is 73.589 mb. Is that the new one or the old on?

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

Panthrax posted:

Was it pushed for everyone? I don't want to upgrade and get the old version that breaks poo poo. When I check for an update, it doesn't give a version, but the size is 73.589 mb. Is that the new one or the old on?

Sounds like the size of the most recent update. I had to manually check for its availability. The download took forever in my area, too. If you break connection, there's apparently no resume feature. It just stops downloading and you have to check for it all over again.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I used to get random reboots at least once every few days prior to the MR2 radio, but having flashed that (and a ROM that supports it) I've not seen a reboot since. The transition between 3G/4G areas is also faster, and the GPS gets a lock much quicker. Battery life on WiFi also seems a lot better.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Gingerbread is now officially available for the HTC Incredible 2. Has anyone upgraded yet? How is it?

I was planning on upgrading to Gingerbread, although from their description it doesn't seem like that big of an improvement.

Is there a way to revert back from Gingerbread to Froyo if it sucks?

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Falco posted:

Gingerbread is now officially available for the HTC Incredible 2. Has anyone upgraded yet? How is it?

I was planning on upgrading to Gingerbread, although from their description it doesn't seem like that big of an improvement.

Is there a way to revert back from Gingerbread to Froyo if it sucks?

I upgraded the other day and haven't really noticed any huge benefits, but there are a couple minor ones that are nice.

The notification pull-down is really sharp now, and includes a "quick settings" tab that allows you to toggle bluetooth, wifi, etc. Also, battery life seems to be slightly better, but I haven't played around with it to be sure.

I use LauncherPro, so there could be some updates that I'm missing, but I'm not really noticing anything that stands out on the visual side.

I haven't noticed any negatives however, so that's always a good thing.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Acrolos posted:

I upgraded the other day and haven't really noticed any huge benefits, but there are a couple minor ones that are nice.

The notification pull-down is really sharp now, and includes a "quick settings" tab that allows you to toggle bluetooth, wifi, etc. Also, battery life seems to be slightly better, but I haven't played around with it to be sure.

I use LauncherPro, so there could be some updates that I'm missing, but I'm not really noticing anything that stands out on the visual side.

I haven't noticed any negatives however, so that's always a good thing.

I use LauncherPro myself, so I'd be in the same boat. The only downside I've found from read is that Verizon is doing a pretty good job of blocking tethering software.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Falco posted:

I use LauncherPro myself, so I'd be in the same boat. The only downside I've found from read is that Verizon is doing a pretty good job of blocking tethering software.

I thought they were just blocking them from the market?

You mean they are actively making the app not work correctly if you have root and have it installed?

Unless you're talking about the official 4g hotspot stuff, in that case disregard.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I feel dumb for asking this but is there a simple way to use Verizon's website to see which calls count against your Anytime Minutes allowance?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Codiusprime posted:

I thought they were just blocking them from the market?

You mean they are actively making the app not work correctly if you have root and have it installed?

Unless you're talking about the official 4g hotspot stuff, in that case disregard.

Verizon is inspecting traffic and redirecting what it can detect as tethering to a portal to purchase official tethering.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

bull3964 posted:

Verizon is inspecting traffic and redirecting what it can detect as tethering to a portal to purchase official tethering.

When did this start? My dad and I both use our phones via Wireless Tether when we're up north fishing on weekends, and I've never encountered anything like this. He's on a Vortex 2, and I'm on the Incredible. Both rooted, obviously.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

PitViper posted:

When did this start? My dad and I both use our phones via Wireless Tether when we're up north fishing on weekends, and I've never encountered anything like this. He's on a Vortex 2, and I'm on the Incredible. Both rooted, obviously.

Almost two moths ago. It seems to be hit or miss on what they can detect.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/05/31/verizon-begins-blocking-wireless-tether-asks-that-you-purchase-a-plan/

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

bull3964 posted:

From what I see, it appears that Verizon is adding some additional routing entires to their Gingerbread ROMs (e.g., Thunderbolt) that route (wifi?) tethered connections to the paywall. There's apparently an "HTC routing-fix" in the beta builds of WiFi Tether to fix that.

They may also be doing what you say as well, although I haven't seen that specifically. Of course, they can always packet sniff if they want, so if they're not actually doing it now they may very well do so soon.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
I got a droid 3 today as an upgrade from my original droid. I'm a bit disappointed by the build quality of the phone; the original feels a lot more heavy duty. The new one feels pretty plastic-y. The screen on the original droid is better, too. The droid 3 is a heck of a lot faster than my rooted droid, though, and the keyboard is great.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

ExcessBLarg! posted:

From what I see, it appears that Verizon is adding some additional routing entires to their Gingerbread ROMs (e.g., Thunderbolt) that route (wifi?) tethered connections to the paywall. There's apparently an "HTC routing-fix" in the beta builds of WiFi Tether to fix that.
Just tried that (on a Droid X), and it appears to work -- although it still seems to launch the stock 3G Hotspot app, so who knows.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

dyne posted:

I got a droid 3 today as an upgrade from my original droid. I'm a bit disappointed by the build quality of the phone; the original feels a lot more heavy duty. The new one feels pretty plastic-y. The screen on the original droid is better, too. The droid 3 is a heck of a lot faster than my rooted droid, though, and the keyboard is great.

How is the screen on the Droid better out of curiosity? Is it that dang pentile display?

Also disappointed about the build quality.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Funny, I was thinking about picking up the Droid 3 instead of the Bionic since I like that it's not going to be gently caress-off huge like the Bionic, plus my Area doesn't have 4G yet and there's no timetable for when it will.

Any comments on the Droid 3's battery life yet?

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

Codiusprime posted:

How is the screen on the Droid better out of curiosity? Is it that dang pentile display?

Also disappointed about the build quality.

Yeah, the problem is the pentile screen; lines are much more fuzzy. I'll probably get used to it.

I can't comment on the battery life yet, it supposedly takes a couple charge/discharge cycles to get the runtime to where it's going to be.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

According to Twitter, the next ota update for the Thunderbolt will patch out the exploits that are used for rooting. So basically if you're thinking about rooting, do it now before the update gets pushed.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

JayKay posted:

According to Twitter, the next ota update for the Thunderbolt will patch out the exploits that are used for rooting. So basically if you're thinking about rooting, do it now before the update gets pushed.

Real G's just wait for the devs to take out and release the updated radios.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Looking for a phone recommendation here, any personal experience will be doubly appreciated.

I just lost my Samsung Gleam. It was a basic flip phone, and here's what I liked about it, and what I want in a new one:

- It was very light, and very slim, flat almost. Hardly made a bulge in my pocket. This is pretty important, lots of cheap phones are shaped like fat scarab beetles for some reason.
- Despite being fairly plasticky, it felt like a solid piece, didn't flex or anything. In my experience, Samsung does this fairly well. New phone doesn't have to be a Samsung though.
- Call clarity was decent, but not great. Obviously this is pretty important.
- Inexpensive, this phone was less than $200. I'm looking to go month-to-month on this thing.
- Bluetooth. All phones have Bluetooth now, don't they?

Here's what I didn't like about it:
- Couldn't use a custom ringtone. Not without signing into Verizon, and BOTH paying for a ringtone, AND signing up for a recurring monthly charge. gently caress that. Samsung had literally gone out of their way to keep you from just loading up a ringtone from a MicroSD, no doubt as a personal favor to Verizon.
- Too quiet. The phone could never get loud enough. Sometimes I'd just switch it to speakerphone.

I don't need or want a smartphone, or a data plan, but I would need a browser every now and then (and I assume that even the most basic phones are equipped with a browser.)

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 16, 2011

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I'm up for an upgrade in August from my original droid. Would those complaining about the build and screen overall recommend the droid 3 to someone who loved his original droid?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think there's anything wrong with the build of the D3. I thought it felt pretty solid and most of the reviews I've seen have said the same. I'm not crazy about the Pentile screen but that wouldn't deter me from buying a phone that was otherwise pretty good, which the D3 is. That said, I'm still hanging onto my D2 until either the Bionic gets rave reviews or Verizon announces a 4G phone with a physical keyboard.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Right now I'm seeing the Droid 3 for 149.99 on a two-year contract online. Will they have the same prices in-store?

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Montco woman wins victory over Verizon

quote:

Bernice Keebler had a simple complaint: Verizon billed her $4.19 for six "local calls" but wouldn't tell her where she'd called - not unless she got a lawyer and a subpoena.

To Keebler, that stretched the bounds of fair dealing beyond the breaking point. "I think I have the right to know what I am paying for," she told me in a column about her case last month. Keebler likened the experience to getting a tab at a restaurant with a bottom line for "food," but no details to review or question.

A Public Utility Commission judge agreed. In a decision released today by the PUC's communications office, Administrative Law Judge Mary D. Long proposed fining Verizon Pennsylvania $1,000 for failing in its duty to provide "adequate customer service"

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Decided to make the (possibly ill-conceived) jump to smartphones with my roommate to get onto the unlimited data plan. I've had the Charge for almost two weeks and am really disappointed with the battery life. I've also realized where my priorities lie, namely not worrying if my phone will die as long as I charge it nightly. Therefore:

What are my options for a Verizon smartphone that will consistently last all day (7 AM to midnight) with moderate or even light usage?

I'm finding it difficult to find actual data on this.

On the Charge:
The display eats up battery like crazy. Even when I'm not using it. I did an experiment on Friday to try to get the best battery life so I dimmed the screen all the way down and disabled 4G.

5 hours 40 minutes in with minimal usage (read/replied to two texts, took one picture, turned on screen to check battery life a few times)
71% overall left
-39% Display (10 minutes total time)
-23% Cell Standby
-10% Android System
-9% Phone idle

1 hour and 30 minutes later with heavy usage (raised the screen timeout to 15 minutes, took some notes, otherwise navigated menus)
44% overall left
-78% display
-5% Cell standby
-4% Android System
-4% sensorserver_ya (running apps)
-2% Phone idle

4 hours after that with me keeping the long screen timeout, but only actually using it to look at email a handful of times:
4% overall left
-82% display
-5% standby
-4% sensorserver_ya

Going off of the example from the first 5 hours, it seems like:
1) The battery info can't be trusted.
2) 10 minutes of screen time will drain 11.3% of my total battery so 1.45 hours of the screen being on at all ((not actually DOING anything meaningful) will completely drain the battery.

Do I have unrealistic expectations for a phone (maybe I did for the Charge, but in general)? My friend uses his Droid 1 frequently and has never had to charge before he goes to sleep (midnight or later).

Pascallion fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jul 17, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
If you want a "smartphone" that has a good battery, it's either Blackberry or iPhone. I have friends that have iPhone that are seemingly constantly on the thing and they can make it through a day pretty easily.

Im currently on an old Blackberry 8530 and have had it unplugged for 17 hours now and it just hit %20. I used it moderately, mostly facebook and texting/BBM.

Blackberry's have better battery life, but you can't really do anything with them. There glorified "messaging" phones basically. I'd say try and return it and go for the iPhone.

Unfortunately Android phones aren't exactly known for battery life :(

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Unfortunately Android phones aren't exactly known for battery life :(
This is actually a pretty terrible cop-out response. I also signed up with Verizon for a Droid Charge on the 6th to lock in unlimited data, and there are wild problems with this phone's battery. It's not normal: some days it's fine and other days it's dead in six hours. I dunno what the Engadget guys were doing in their review to get such high numbers, but the LTE radio just seems to toast this thing.

Previous to this, I was using an overclocked Samsung Vibrant, an overclocked HTC Glacier, an HTC Evo (with WiMax disabled because it sucks), and a Nexus One. None of them had any major battery problems and were all quite comparable to my old iPhone. Something is up with the Droid Charge and it would be nice to know what.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

On my Thunderbolt, at least, the 4G signal, if it's weak or inconsistent, can devour the battery. It seems like the 4G radio just loves to eat power as much as possible.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

4G and good battery life do not go together. With 3G only on my Thunderbolt, I can get around 24 hours. With 4G on I'm lucky to get a third of that.

And I'm in a 4G saturated area.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Yeah, but the Thunderbolt uses a TFT screen, has a smaller battery, and has well-documented problems with battery life. With the Droid Charge, things were supposed to be different:

Engadget posted:

When it comes to battery life, there's no competition. The Charge blitzed through a full day of what we'd consider typical use, coming off the charger at about 9am and not getting slotted back in again until 9pm the next night. Yes, you read that right, two working days of what we'd consider average use with GPS and WiFi on, taking pictures and videos, all powered by a single 1,600mAh battery. Granted, we weren't running our performance benchmarks at the time, but we were hammering the LTE antenna to get some speed results.
I've never experienced anything near that, and we don't even have LTE deployed in my city. On the days I've been in an LTE area, it's even worse. There's a thread with some battery calibration "tricks" on XDA that have supposedly fixed it for a lot of people, but I'm not on that list.

It's just frustrating to feel clueless.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
The thing is, all of those numbers I posted are from a day that I completely disabled 4G (it was on CDMA Only the whole time).

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

My Droid 2 isn't too bad as far as battery life. I charged it Friday night and unplugged it yesterday around 8am. I used it a bunch (web, calls, and texting) yesterday, and left it unplugged last night.

It's currently at 30% battery and will pro ably go the rest of the day.

I do typically charge it every night, but thats just the reality with a smartphone. I have a Blackberry Bold from work and I charge it maybe twice a week, but if you don't have a legitimate reason to have email access on the go, it is pretty terrible at normal smartphone stuff. It is fantastic for email / calendar / SMS, but web browsing, games, and apps are significantly lacking.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

JayKay posted:

4G and good battery life do not go together. With 3G only on my Thunderbolt, I can get around 24 hours. With 4G on I'm lucky to get a third of that.

And I'm in a 4G saturated area.

My wife seems to get much worse battery out of her Thunderbolt than I do. I spend 8 hours a day in an office that has wifi and loud-and-clear 4G. Her office is right on the fringe of the LTE area and she says it bounces between CDMA and 4G a lot, so that's whats doing it.

I wouldn't say it's a copout response that Android phones in general are on the low end of battery life. I can only offer one other data point here but my old Nexus One was not all that better in terms of battery than my Thunderbolt is now. With both of them, I need to keep the phone plugged in at work if I plan on going out later that night, or else it'll be close to dead by 10 or 11pm. And I am really not that heavy a user, except for streaming music a lot.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Pascallion posted:

What are my options for a Verizon smartphone that will consistently last all day (7 AM to midnight) with moderate or even light usage?
My Droid X will easily do 30 hours per charge, if there's no games/streaming/nav involved. But it'd be kind of dumb to buy a Droid X now, unless you could get one for a song.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

Rolo posted:

I'm up for an upgrade in August from my original droid. Would those complaining about the build and screen overall recommend the droid 3 to someone who loved his original droid?
Ah, i didnt mean that it had poor build quality; its just not as good as the OG droid. Its probably on par for other phones. After using the phone a couple days, i think the screen is acceptable. Some combinations of text and background colors look like crap (like red on white).

Edit: overall it's a good upgrade

dyne fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 17, 2011

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

kitten smoothie posted:

I wouldn't say it's a copout response that Android phones in general are on the low end of battery life. I can only offer one other data point here but my old Nexus One was not all that better in terms of battery than my Thunderbolt is now. With both of them, I need to keep the phone plugged in at work if I plan on going out later that night, or else it'll be close to dead by 10 or 11pm. And I am really not that heavy a user, except for streaming music a lot.

It isn't a cop out at all. His anecdotal evidence doesn't change the fact that Android phones are not known for their battery life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uiru
Mar 13, 2003

we had a good run anyway

Codiusprime posted:

It isn't a cop out at all. His anecdotal evidence doesn't change the fact that Android phones are not known for their battery life.

I'm in the same boat as Kalibar and I think it is a copout. It's one thing to say "my Android phone only gets 24 - 30 hours while my iPhone could sometimes get up to 2 or 3 days on average," and another thing to have an Android device that is lucky to make it 5 hours on a full charge with minimal use and be bitching about how horrible that is.

If your response to a phone with a super AMOLED plus display and a 1600mA battery getting 5 hours even without the LTE radio turned on is, "welp, Android isn't known for battery life!" then maybe you're a terrible shithammer who should be beaten to death with a bag of petrified pig dicks. Because guess what, that is just not an acceptable answer and that attitude is the reason terrible poo poo like this is allowed to happen. Please stop "just going with it." If it's bad, admit that it's bad. Don't just tell yourself it isn't an iPhone so you better just deal with it.

I am not expecting the best battery life in the game like I had with my iPhone 3GS. I am expecting my phone to last 16 hours or so, especially when I'm hardly ever waking the phone up, screen brightness is always manually set to the lowest setting, I haven't used any minutes, and the 4G radio is shut off. That has proven to be impossible. I have a phone I avoid using that still doesn't make it through a day without more charging.

This is my first Android phone and while it has been a laughably bad experience and I will be trading it in for something else, I am not going to give up on the platform entirely because I am very sure there exists a phone that meets my expectations.

Still can't believe they had the stones to name it the Droid Charge.

• Locked thread