Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I can't believe you guys played the whole game knowing what you are saying. :) I've turned off AA using the NVIDIA program specifically for AP, but I still have no visible dialogue. So yeah, some people have died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Technique posted:

But it's even more satisfying to let Brayko "talk" to him.

I got really confused when I caught up to Surkov kind of in the middle of his level and accepted his truce, then the mission complete screen told me I had 3/4 objectives complete. The level felt half-done, and I never saw Championchik; I'm guessing you're meant to take him apart?

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
It's just that the mission ends "early" if you choose that route. Take a different path and it goes on longer with a final objective, yeah. Also it didn't seem like there were any reactions from other people in response to allying with Surkov.

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 15, 2011

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Lotish posted:

I got really confused when I caught up to Surkov kind of in the middle of his level and accepted his truce, then the mission complete screen told me I had 3/4 objectives complete. The level felt half-done, and I never saw Championchik; I'm guessing you're meant to take him apart?

There's two instances where you can get Brayko to "talk" to Surkov. One is on the helipad, after the Championchik fight, and the other is this.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Lynx posted:

There's two instances where you can get Brayko to "talk" to Surkov. One is on the helipad, after the Championchik fight, and the other is this.

Oh man, i never got that scene even though i tried. Thanks for uploading it so i could finally see it! (assuming it was your upload?)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Helipad? Fight? What? I didn't get either in that stage.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Lotish posted:

Helipad? Fight? What? I didn't get either in that stage.

You don't have to be friendly to Surkov in that mission.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

drat my natural friendliness and need for acceptance from strangers!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lotish posted:

drat my natural friendliness and need for acceptance from strangers!

It's a really terrible idea to jump to accept a truce from someone who's already shown himself to be a conniving, double-crossing snake in the grass.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Oh man, this game. :allears:

I just finished up with the Moscow missions, the first I did after Saudi. I really see what people mean by saying chain shot is broken. When I got the boss fight with the Russian ex-boxer a few normal shots to the chest and three chain shots to the head took care of him. Felt pretty drat :smug:.

I feel I'm being too trustful though, might make my second play though ultra aggressive in attitude, see how that works out.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
so I picked the game up the other day, and unfortunately I'm on a 360 w/ SDTV and I can't read any of the loving emails. I'm almost done with Taipei (I think) and I know I'm missing out on a lot. Any ideas?

e - nevermind, I just have to tweak the fuckin contrast every time i open up email. sweet

stuffed crust punk fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jul 15, 2011

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Oxxidation posted:

It's a really terrible idea to jump to accept a truce from someone who's already shown himself to be a conniving, double-crossing snake in the grass.

Did I miss something, I know Surkov lied, but as far as I understood he didn't really lie about anything of importance ie: Halbech or something important to Mike's mission in Moscow, just Brayko and his operation. That's pretty forgivable in my opinion

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

THE PWNER posted:

Did I miss something, I know Surkov lied, but as far as I understood he didn't really lie about anything of importance ie: Halbech or something important to Mike's mission in Moscow, just Brayko and his operation. That's pretty forgivable in my opinion

Actually, he lied big time about Halbech. HE is Halbech's agent in Moscow, and Brayko is unwanted competition for Halbech arms deals, etc. So he sends you after Brayko and knocks off several birds with one stone--Brayko is dead, his operations in Moscow ruined, and Halbech secrets discreetly tucked away in a Molo-tech computer, which you'd never have reason to search.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

THE PWNER posted:

That's why this game is so good, there are so many ways to see it.

Surkov lied, but for the greater good and should be allied with.

Surkov betrayed his protege and closest ally for profit, and cannot be trusted.

Surkov is simply a weak man given to temptation and isn't worth Mike's time.

Surkov is selling out his friends and allying with an evil for the sake of his country, and is a threat to the world.

Surkov is a rather friendly guy you rescue at the embassy who points you to Brayko and is never heard from again.

Surkov has way too many kneecaps and shouldn't be pointing that goddamn gun at you.

All of these are true. Depending on how you see it, anyway. There's not a right or wrong choice.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Moscow: Do you have to spare Brayko to get the Surkov missions where you fight Championchik or can you still execute him

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
Just finished Rome.
I don't think I've ever been actively angry at a video game character before. Mr. Thorton broke his general-issue 'minimum bodycount rule' for purposes of Deus Vult, replacing it with an 'every last one of these motherfuckers except two for the police to question are going to be dead' rule. Also, given the slightest opportunity Marburg is going to be drinking the Steven Heck Special. There was really zero loving point in that poo poo. Honestly, man, we're supposed to be professionals, and then you kill the girl for no goddamn reason.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

the_american_dream posted:

Moscow: Do you have to spare Brayko to get the Surkov missions where you fight Championchik or can you still execute him

You need to at least keep him talking long enough to talk to him about Surkov. You'll get another execute prompt when you guys are finished talking; incidentally, if you're ever going for the Judge, Jury, and Executioner trophy, you HAVE to do this. Not killing either Brayko or Surkov (even if you don't get the mission to go after them) will result in you not getting the trophy.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Ze Pollack posted:

Just finished Rome.
I don't think I've ever been actively angry at a video game character before. Mr. Thorton broke his general-issue 'minimum bodycount rule' for purposes of Deus Vult, replacing it with an 'every last one of these motherfuckers except two for the police to question are going to be dead' rule. Also, given the slightest opportunity Marburg is going to be drinking the Steven Heck Special. There was really zero loving point in that poo poo. Honestly, man, we're supposed to be professionals, and then you kill the girl for no goddamn reason.

Outside of heightening the body count of innocents to raise global tension? Marburg knows exactly what he's doing. And he's a dick.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Exercu posted:

Outside of heightening the body count of innocents to raise global tension? Marburg knows exactly what he's doing. And he's a dick.

Yeah, yeah, that was the whole point of the bombing, got that much. However him saying 'welp, gonna kill this chick in front of you now, there's really no point in doing this, high fives, you and me are now best buds 4eva, peace' was just really annoying. We're professionals, jackass. That means you don't kill people on the sidelines unless you have to.
He is -so- getting shot in the face. Leland may or may not receive face-shooting. It depends. Originally I'd planned on capping him but y'know, it feels like shooting both of them would deprive the other one's death of that certain karmic punch.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Ze Pollack posted:

Yeah, yeah, that was the whole point of the bombing, got that much. However him saying 'welp, gonna kill this chick in front of you now, there's really no point in doing this, high fives, you and me are now best buds 4eva, peace' was just really annoying. We're professionals, jackass. That means you don't kill people on the sidelines unless you have to.
He is -so- getting shot in the face. Leland may or may not receive face-shooting. It depends. Originally I'd planned on capping him but y'know, it feels like shooting both of them would deprive the other one's death of that certain karmic punch.

You'll notice that Marburg- and Leland, to an extent- are manipulative enough to blame the poo poo that they've clearly done by their own hand squarely on others. In this case, Marburg blames Thorton for Madison's death as a consequence that he warned you about in advance: if you go for the bombs, the girl dies. Really, either way you go he sets it up as a cause-effect scenario. If he doesn't provide the "effect" then he isn't a man of his word and nobody would ever take his threats seriously.

But I do agree with the above poster that said he's a dick.

Also (and this is SUPER ULTRA SECRET SPOILER here if you haven't played through this at least a couple of times), the absolute best karmic repercussion does not come from you being the one to kill Marburg, in my opinion.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

That's why this game is so good, there are so many ways to see it.

Surkov lied, but for the greater good and should be allied with.

Surkov betrayed his protege and closest ally for profit, and cannot be trusted.

Surkov is simply a weak man given to temptation and isn't worth Mike's time.

Surkov is selling out his friends and allying with an evil for the sake of his country, and is a threat to the world.

Surkov is a rather friendly guy you rescue at the embassy who points you to Brayko and is never heard from again.

Surkov has way too many kneecaps and shouldn't be pointing that goddamn gun at you.

All of these are true. Depending on how you see it, anyway. There's not a right or wrong choice.

No, there's really only the one way to see it: Surkov is a desperate, manipulative sleaze who will use you again and again unless he is persuaded to play straight vis-a-vis a bullet in the leg. If you accept his first deal in the warehouse - you know, after he uses you to kill his protege - then the postgame text says he keeps trying to snatch more and more power out from under you, and emails around the warehouse suggest his business ventures are collapsing and he's backstabbing his way across Russia in an attempt to slide out from under Halbech's thumb. You have to knock away his every chance of escape or negotiation to really get him on your side.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ze Pollack posted:

Just finished Rome.

The museum choice is really contrived and has a terrible, nonsensical conclusion no matter what anyone else in this thread says, but its existence is justifiable, at least. For all his icy professionalism and claims of experience, Marburg is kind of a lovely secret agent. Once you start digging into his personality and background, he turns out to be a petty and often myopic individual who's both way too attached to his assets and a really lovely judge of character. Over the course of Rome, he becomes fixated on Mike, either because he sees Mike as a younger idealized version of himself or a representation of everything he hates, and puts his entire mission on the line for the sake of his stupid little obsession.

That's why if you get him to fight you to the death at the museum, it's best to collect most of his dossier, because it adds a loving scathing addition to Mike's speech. Basically: "You go on about fighting for your country, but one operation goes wrong and you turn your back on everything it stands for. Grow the gently caress up."

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Question: When I went to do the last mission, I had to choose my handler, and I had three choices--Sie, Albatross, and Heck. I wanted to choose Albatross, but for some reason the selection was greyed out. I can't figure out why--I spared Sis, I rescued him at Brayko's, and I had a +5 relationship with him. It seemed odd that Sie was an option and Albatross wasn't, since I barely talked to Sie and only had a +1 relationship with her.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sheen Sheen posted:

Question: When I went to do the last mission, I had to choose my handler, and I had three choices--Sie, Albatross, and Heck. I wanted to choose Albatross, but for some reason the selection was greyed out. I can't figure out why--I spared Sis, I rescued him at Brayko's, and I had a +5 relationship with him. It seemed odd that Sie was an option and Albatross wasn't, since I barely talked to Sie and only had a +1 relationship with her.

You need to contact him at the final hub. I think a lot of people are either just missing this option or it's a common glitch, since you're the third or fourth person with this complaint this week.

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Speaking of music that didn't make it into the game, I lead a strong campaign to score (moscow) have Brayko give one final fist pump as he dies as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpc7TBhilFI begins to play, freezeframe

That was actually before the rewrite and would have worked better then, but I still like the idea.

Also, Lazo's Yacht used to be Brayko's yacht and there was a giant poster above the bed that said FRANKIE SAY RELAX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPLrXFw76Qg By the way, if you've never seen the original video for Relax, you MUST WATCH NOW

edit: i'm caligula in this video, it is me

In my dreams I'm Judd Nelson too, Comte de Saint-Germain. It may ultimately be better off that it didn't make it into the final game but, as a child of the 80's, I would have been tickled by a Simple Minds finale in Moscow.

This loving game. This is why I'm an Obsidian fanboy. Not because I'm Irrational(hyuk hyuk) but because they know, y'know?

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Oxxidation posted:

You need to contact him at the final hub. I think a lot of people are either just missing this option or it's a common glitch, since you're the third or fourth person with this complaint this week.

I'm thinking glitch, because I didn't see any option to contact him at the final hub--no emails, no intel, no mission to go meet with him like there was with Scarlet and Shaheed.

Starting my recruit playthrough now!

\/\/\/\/ Yes I did.

Sheen Sheen fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jul 15, 2011

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Sheen Sheen posted:

I'm thinking glitch, because I didn't see any option to contact him at the final hub--no emails, no intel, no mission to go meet with him like there was with Scarlet and Shaheed.

Starting my recruit playthrough now!

Did you (Moscow Spoilers) Accept his offer of an alliance at the fountain in moscow?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
What do I need to do to find out that [secret dossier fact, Rome/Finale] Madison St. James is Parker's daughter? I've missed it on two different play-throughs.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Lazyhound posted:

What do I need to do to find out that [secret dossier fact, Rome/Finale] Madison St. James is Parker's daughter? I've missed it on two different play-throughs.

This is how I got it.

You will need the full dossier on Madison as follows

Automatically when she is first mentioned.
Intel buy at some stage before meeting her.
In Marburgs villa. In the room with the piano right after finding your equipment it is located next to a couch.
In the Roman ruins right next to the communications array. If you have to reload this section don't forget to pick it up again.
Immediately after sleeping with her the relationship will be revealed automatically in dialog.

I think you need a positive relationship with this character.

I'm not sure how much you need of Parker's dossiers if any but here they are anyway.

Do the stealth orientation and the extra stealth challenge to get the first two.
Mina will send you an email complaining about Darcy. Take the aggressive reply to this and she will apologise and she will offer to send you intel on Parker, Darcy or Westbridge. This is easily missed so be careful.
Another email from Mina when Westbridge is on the firing range again a choice of one of Parker,Darcy or Westbridge.
On the villa mission buy the intel that reveals the secret tunnel in the garden. Right at the end of the mission you will gain access to this. You will find both a Parker and a Marburg dossier in there. Check your map when in the garden.
His final dossier is found right before you contact him but it isn't needed for turning Marburg as the conversation that triggers this event has already happened.

Hank Morgan fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jul 15, 2011

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Lazyhound posted:

I'm not 100% sure but I think you just need to get her full dossier and use the 'Dossier' (bottom option) in conversation after waking her up in the safehouse..

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
On Madison: You never need to pick any of the special 4th options with her in order to find out the Madison/Parker connection. I used to think so but it's not the case. You probably need a good chunk of her dossiers though, and maybe Parker's as well, as well as a high disposition with her.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Did you (Moscow Spoilers) Accept his offer of an alliance at the fountain in moscow?

Well, in Moscow you don't have to accept his offer of an alliance. I think that his relationship simply wasn't good enough.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Hypocrisy posted:

Well, in Moscow you don't have to accept his offer of an alliance. I think that his relationship simply wasn't good enough.

That's why I thought it was weird--I figured that a +5 relationship might not have been good enough to get him as a handler, but after thinking about it come on, I spared his bodyguard's life and saved his life, and he makes himself unavailable when I want to call in a favor? And Sie is willing to put her life on the line and attack a super-secret spy base for someone she only talked to once?

That's why I figured "glitch," but the possibility remains open that I just screwed up.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.
I somehow triggered a hilarious bug fighting (Moscow)Sis on the yacht. During the boss fight, she bugged out and started moving and firing at something like 6x or greater her normal speed. It was like trying to fight an Agent from the Matrix or some poo poo. She'd pop up for like 1/3rd of a second and fire all her shots in that time. I decided to try to stealth up to her. As soon as I use Shadow Operative, she runs to my position near instantly. I try to punch her in the face, but she killed me in less than a second with her rate of fire and reload :v:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Sheen Sheen posted:

That's why I thought it was weird--I figured that a +5 relationship might not have been good enough to get him as a handler, but after thinking about it come on, I spared his bodyguard's life and saved his life, and he makes himself unavailable when I want to call in a favor? And Sie is willing to put her life on the line and attack a super-secret spy base for someone she only talked to once?

That's why I figured "glitch," but the possibility remains open that I just screwed up.

Sie is not the kind of person who says 'no' when presented with an opportunity to kill people. You may have noticed this. The other person being mentioned is a leeeetle more discreet.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Game-y question, but is the only way to get the Rookie Move perk (+8 AP) being to do Darcy's orientation first out of the three orientations so that I get his "Recruit" dialogue option when we first talk, and only do Mina Tang's challenge afterward or not at all? I talked to Mina Tang first, and that seems like an awfully nice/big AP bump to be missing out on... :ohdear:

(My Recruit's in Saudi Arabia at the moment, and to some extent the above perk was the entire point of going Recruit... that and unlocking Veteran.)

EDIT: Already at 4 (Liked) with Mina, 7 (Trusted) with Westridge by the time I was able to move around in Saudi Arabia, and after seeing Mina's second e-mail... shall I reply with Suave, knowing full well how badly she'll take it? (It's the only good/funny one, about "the company party".) <- Never mind, not doing it since it seems that there's no reply back from her, just the relationship change... OR IS THERE?

Chortles fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 16, 2011

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Chortles posted:

Game-y question, but is the only way to get the Rookie Move perk (+8 AP) being to do Darcy's orientation first out of the three orientations so that I get his "Recruit" dialogue option when we first talk, and only do Mina Tang's challenge afterward or not at all? I talked to Mina Tang first, and that seems like an awfully nice/big AP bump to be missing out on... :ohdear:

(My Recruit's in Saudi Arabia at the moment, and to some extent the above perk was the entire point of going Recruit... that and unlocking Veteran.)

I did Mina's challenge first first and shot Darcy in the nuts. I still got Rookie Move in the end by choosing recruit every time.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Odd, not sure what I must have missed to have not gotten Rookie Moves then, since it seems like there's only 10 Recruit opportunities in the whole game...
:ughh:

EDIT: To clarify, looking at this dialog guide, there's only ten (identified by this guy) instances of "Recruit," which seems to oddly seems to imply that you have to not do Mina's bonus challenge, since you get a Recruit dialogue option for Mina from having not met Darcy yet, but also a Recruit dialogue option for Darcy from not having done Mina's bonus challenge. Now, you're correct and I too got a Recruit option for Darcy, the "I think we started off on the wrong foot" response, but now I have no idea what other ones I may have missed that aren't on that list (of all the possible dialogues in the Greybox).

(My priorities were "Recruit whenever available, then whatever would get me positive rep if there isn't a Recruit option"... do you need any particular objectives succeeded or failed in order to get Recruit options, and can you confirm if there's only ten?)

Chortles fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 16, 2011

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

It's been a while since I went through my recruit run so I can't really confirm anything.

Still, you haven't gone too far in the game. Why not go back and try again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
What the sam hell. I just started the Moscow Embassy mission in my veteran run, but this time I chose SIE as my handler instead of Albatross. Now G22 are rampaging inside instead of VCI troops. I didn't think he'd take it THAT hard that I went with her instead.

• Locked thread