Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Kitfox88 posted:

What the sam hell. I just started the Moscow Embassy mission in my veteran run, but this time I chose SIE as my handler instead of Albatross. Now G22 are rampaging inside instead of VCI troops. I didn't think he'd take it THAT hard that I went with her instead.

It's a level design contrivance. There are only so many enemy factions in the game. Originally it was al-Samad but they were getting too much screen time and we didn't want the game to be another "shoot 1,000 muslims" game so I guess at some point the call was made to let it go flipsie like that. I think the underlying rationale is that both VCI and G22 want to get their hands on Surkov and you are just a handy tool. If they don't get you to do it for them, they do it themselves.

No, there's no reason given for either side to need to kidnap/kill Surkov, because I think it's just supposed to be one of those things left unspecified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Look at it this way: if you work with them, they have an expert on the inside. If you don't, they need another plan.

^^^^ Yes, okay, like that.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Yeah, it's not upsetting me or anything, I just wandered if there was a deeper meaning to it beyond that. :v:

Also This loving Game. I just reached Sukhov while wearing the tier 3 utility armor and he was all "Oh man are you one of these terrorists too? Your armor's similar but you don't have the silly goggles."

EDIT: What the gently caress, the guards inside the embassy were red so I punched them out this time, and then at the end mission screen I get 'THORNTON TOTALLY ATTACKED LIKE ALL THE GUARDS AND KILLED THEM', so now I get to redo the mission. God dammit. :arghfist:

I just ran it a second time and despite purposefully avoiding said problem it did it again. Changed the armor too just in case, but no go, so I'm guessing it's a bug. Son of a bitch. :(

Kitfox88 fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 16, 2011

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
I think it was a mistake doing a non-lethal stealth recruit my first time, although it seemed to fit the personality. It was boring and frustrating to make a mistake (or encounter an engine quirk), considering when I load a checkpoint NPCs don't spawn 50% of the time and the game crashes 10% of the time. I haven't had to reload at all with my SMG/AR "kill everyone" veteran, which is refreshing. I should have done things the other way around.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Well, this is apparently a known bug that crops up, I didn't have any issues like it my first time through and I basically non-lethal'd everything in reach because it was such a blast to run up and flying knee people in the face. I'm hoping if I go do some other mission first it'll stop, because I really don't want to restart this run if I don't have to. :sigh:

Or wait, were you trying to ghost stuff? I was frustrated too before I realized stealth is genuinely only there to let you get into advantageous positions to take down guys. :v:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Kitfox88 posted:

Yeah, it's not upsetting me or anything, I just wandered if there was a deeper meaning to it beyond that. :v:

Also This loving Game. I just reached Sukhov while wearing the tier 3 utility armor and he was all "Oh man are you one of these terrorists too? Your armor's similar but you don't have the silly goggles."

EDIT: What the gently caress, the guards inside the embassy were red so I punched them out this time, and then at the end mission screen I get 'THORNTON TOTALLY ATTACKED LIKE ALL THE GUARDS AND KILLED THEM', so now I get to redo the mission. God dammit. :arghfist:

I just ran it a second time and despite purposefully avoiding said problem it did it again. Changed the armor too just in case, but no go, so I'm guessing it's a bug. Son of a bitch. :(

Yeah similar thing happened to me in that final protection type battle. I had guards and G22 attacking me while the guards didn't attack Sukhov but G22 did. It was pretty annoying actually.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Kitfox88 posted:

AFAIK, the only way to avoid the bug is to [Moscow] talk your way into the embassy.

I seem to have run into some glitches in the finale of my second playthrough: [finale] Scarlet complained about me costing her the Sung contract even though I let him die; also, the newsreel says Leland went missing from his office even though I left him alive to be dragged through the courts. I suppose the latter one could be explained by Westridge escaping and helping him go underground.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Just wanted to let the thread know that I picked this up during the sale as a result of reading posts about it on here, played through and finished it last night and it was incredible. I'm sorry I missed it when it first came out, and from the sounds of it there won't be another? Tragic.

Thanks guys, for putting me on to a game I never would have given a chance otherwise. For anybody reading who's on the fence, the game has flaws-- but it's so, so worth it.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

ephori posted:

Just wanted to let the thread know that I picked this up during the sale as a result of reading posts about it on here, played through and finished it last night and it was incredible. I'm sorry I missed it when it first came out, and from the sounds of it there won't be another? Tragic.

Thanks guys, for putting me on to a game I never would have given a chance otherwise. For anybody reading who's on the fence, the game has flaws-- but it's so, so worth it.

Incorrect. Now get back in there and give Thorton a shotgun and a pissy attitude!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Lazyhound posted:

AFAIK, the only way to avoid the bug is to [Moscow] talk your way into the embassy.

Can you do that if you didn't get it put on high alert? If not I'm hosed. :(

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Kitfox88 posted:

Can you do that if you didn't get it put on high alert? If not I'm hosed. :(

You totally can. Just be cool about it.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Veteran option made it easy peasy. Thank god. :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I started as a soldier (sneaking around in combat armor, and going assault rifle when that inevitably went tits-up) and God, I love this game. Gonna play through again as a suave, Bond-ish stealth/tech... Recruit.

Because every "Suave" option sounds more like "teenager who thinks he's suave". I decided I might as well play off of that.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
Both games I swear I didn't kill any marines at the embassy and it said I did. Actually, the first time I took to the roof and knocked out a guy and they turned red (psychic?), maybe that was related. The speech thing may very well be the only way, for some reason.

But I don't care right now since I'm executing everyone, even when it doesn't make sense making Mike give weak rationalizations for it. Next game I'll be suave with lethal stealth and see if my opinion of it improves.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

It's a confirmed bug according to the wiki, at least. I bluffed my way past the guards and the bug was fixed, which was nice. :toot:

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Ze Pollack posted:

Sie is not the kind of person who says 'no' when presented with an opportunity to kill people. You may have noticed this.

Yeah, but (endgame) kill the guy she works for? Without even getting a better offer from a guy she said "hi" to in passing once? Still seems weird to me.

Unless Albatross was pissed that I let Brayko live. I guess I'd be pissed off if my friend had the opportunity to kill the guy that kidnapped me and tortured me and let him walk. If that's the case, he didn't mention anything about being upset.

I still think he's an ungrateful douche. :colbert:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Sheen Sheen posted:

Yeah, but (endgame) kill the guy she works for? Without even getting a better offer from a guy she said "hi" to in passing once? Still seems weird to me.

They don't get on. Like, at all. You actually lose rep with one if you've got a decent relationship with the other.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Sheen Sheen posted:

If you read her files, SIE really hates Marburg. Anything that pisses him off makes her happy and vice versa. It's a bit of a leap, but being given the opportunity to really get at him by helping Thornton out is probably enough of a better offer.

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
Finished my recruit run. Man, focusing on weapons rather than stealth makes this game a whole lot less frustrating (and I say this as somebody who liked the Splinter Cell "if you're seen once, the mission's over"-levels).

What determines whether you get Westridge or Leland as the end boss? I figured this depended on whether you chose to join Halbech or not, but I got Westridge this time even though I told Leland to gently caress off.

Also, having Heck shoot the lights out of Scarlet and Leland at the end was loving awesome.

epitaph fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 16, 2011

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

epitaph posted:

Finished my recruit run. Man, focusing on weapons rather than stealth makes this game a whole lot less frustrating (and I say this as somebody who liked the Splinter Cell "if you're seen once, the mission's over"-levels).

What determines whether you get Westridge or Leland as the end boss? I figured this depended on whether you chose to join Halbech or not, but I got Westridge this time even though I told Leland to gently caress off.

Also, having Heck shoot the lights out of Scarlet and Leland at the end was loving awesome.

You also get Westridge for actions that are hostile to America. Killing the CIA agents in Rome or the enbassy guards in Moscow can get him to show up.

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.

Lazyhound posted:

You can still screw it up by walking past the rooftop door if it's open. Even if one of the loving embassy guards opened it. :argh:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ChuckDHead posted:

If you read her files, SIE really hates Marburg. Anything that pisses him off makes her happy and vice versa. It's a bit of a leap, but being given the opportunity to really get at him by helping Thornton out is probably enough of a better offer.

Even cooler is that if you have finished Rome and killed or pissed off Marburg, SIE brings it up in conversation and you get a +1 or +2 rep right at the start.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Hypocrisy posted:

It's been a while since I went through my recruit run so I can't really confirm anything.

Still, you haven't gone too far in the game. Why not go back and try again?
You're right, this fixed things -- took about an hour or two to go through everything again, but I must have missed a Recruit option on my initial run, as when I did the do-over and made sure to hit all of the Recruit options, I got Rookie Moves on the very last one, which was responding to Westridge's "what makes you think you're ready?"; the dialogue guide missed that you get a Recruit option with Darcy whether or not you complete Mina's bonus challenge. Not sure if there's a substitute Recruit option for Mina if you haven't already met Darcy first.

Now I'm set up in the Saudi Arabia safehouse, think I'll stick with the starting pistol (with Silencer and Pistol Laser Sight) and the starting Shotgun for a "semi-stealth run". By the way, can I respec any time in Saudi Arabia or only after dealing with Shaheed? (I ask this since I want to do the "kick the lieutenant" moment but I don't know if that's a cutscene or a "no detections allowed" takedown.)

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

Chortles posted:

Now I'm set up in the Saudi Arabia safehouse, think I'll stick with the starting pistol (with Silencer and Pistol Laser Sight) and the starting Shotgun for a "semi-stealth run". By the way, can I respec any time in Saudi Arabia or only after dealing with Shaheed? (I ask this since I want to do the "kick the lieutenant" moment but I don't know if that's a cutscene or a "no detections allowed" takedown.)

AFAIK, you can only respec at the end of Saudi Arabia when you get to choose your specializations. (Mini boss in Saudi Arabia)It's a cutscene that plays if you make it to the middle of the bridge there without getting detected. You can do it without any points in stealth or pistols. It took a few reloads, but I was able to do it.

Just shoot the first guy in the face with a critical shot from the pistol. Move up along the wall on your left and wait by those crates until both of the remaining guards have turned their backs to you. Then, you just move quietly for the bridge and ignore the guards and that's it. Just be aware of the guy patrolling on top so he doesn't spot you either.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

In Training posted:

Even cooler is that if you have finished Rome and killed or pissed off Marburg, SIE brings it up in conversation and you get a +1 or +2 rep right at the start.

If you have a decent reputation with her and do Rome after Moscow, killing Marburg will result in an e-mail being sent where she remarks she had to change her underwear after being informed you'd killed Marburg.

Um, thanks SIE, thank you. :ohdear:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Someone in the old thread posted about getting this exchange with Marburg after a game of mostly professional dialogue options (I can't find it now to quote exactly) --

Marburg: [reveals Deus Vult]
Thorton: [aggressive dialogue option]
Marburg: I never knew seeing you lose control would be so satisfying.

If you've experienced this yourself, 1) when in the game does it occur, 2) and do you need to have chosen the professional dialogue with everybody up to that point (because THIS GAME) or just him?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Category Fun! posted:

You also get Westridge for actions that are hostile to America. Killing the CIA agents in Rome or the enbassy guards in Moscow can get him to show up.

I think that case you also get Westridge if you agree to Shaheed's help. Shaheed at the end of the game will ask if you're willing to put yourself before America, and if you agree Mike will say "Well it's not like I'm working in their best interests right now anyway." or something to that effect.

Torsade de Pointes posted:

AFAIK, you can only respec at the end of Saudi Arabia when you get to choose your specializations. (Mini boss in Saudi Arabia)It's a cutscene that plays if you make it to the middle of the bridge there without getting detected. You can do it without any points in stealth or pistols. It took a few reloads, but I was able to do it.

I think that spoiler is also bugged because I've gotten it by shooting him in the face while on the ground as well as by sneaking up to the bridge with him on the far end.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 16, 2011

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009
Xander77 (I think) requested this a while back, and I've finally gotten around to putting it together: (big time endgame spoilers) it's what happens when you tell Marburg about Parker's involvement in Deus Vult. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttNh2j-sZVE

EDIT:

Lotish posted:

I think that spoiler is also bugged because I've gotten it by shooting him in the face while on the ground as well as by sneaking up to the bridge with him on the far end.

There's two slightly different cutscenes that play out here: if you sneak up on him Mike kicks him off the bridge, while if you get spotted Mike hits him with a karate chop to the throat that sends him over the railing.

Lynx fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 16, 2011

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Lynx posted:

Xander77 (I think) requested this a while back, and I've finally gotten around to putting it together: (big time endgame spoilers) it's what happens when you tell Marburg about Parker's involvement in Deus Vult. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttNh2j-sZVE

If you do this, can Marburg still Do the "Go gently caress yourself, Leland exchange later, or do you have to kill him in the data room?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lynx posted:

This is awesome, thank you.

The Viper
Oct 4, 2009
So, I started a new game, intending to make my Thorton a crazy murderer terrorist type, and I couldn't. I had trouble killing the Sheikh and the Arms Dealer, and I point blank couldn't be rude to Mina. 'Being a dick to Darcy' is apparently the extent of my psychotic evil.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

The Viper posted:

So, I started a new game, intending to make my Thorton a crazy murderer terrorist type, and I couldn't. I had trouble killing the Sheikh and the Arms Dealer, and I point blank couldn't be rude to Mina. 'Being a dick to Darcy' is apparently the extent of my psychotic evil.

Don't worry about The Sheik, you get a second chance to ice him after he's helped you out. Now that's even more of a dick move.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Lynx posted:

I cannot imagine anyone else as Marburg other than Jim Cummings. The man was perfect for that role.

The Viper
Oct 4, 2009

ChuckDHead posted:

Don't worry about The Sheik, you get a second chance to ice him after he's helped you out. Now that's even more of a dick move.

No, but it wasn't a mistake, or a glitch, it was my conscience...

This is why I always play the most goody two-shoes clean cut guy in every game. I am a boring, boring man.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

The Viper posted:

I can't help but feel like killing a man responsible for blowing up a passenger jet probably isn't the worst thing you could do.

I will admit, though, it is amazing how cold it tends to be when Thorton executes someone.

The Viper
Oct 4, 2009
I really like that you can do AP totally kill-free (within reason). One of my pet peeves is games that let you slaughter thousands and then act like it's some moral choice whether the big boss lives or dies. It's kind of an uncomfortable metaphor, if you think about it. It's like, these plebeians don't matter, their death is both expected and unmourned, it's only between us powerful folk that any mercy is shown. It bums me out a little.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

I cannot imagine anyone else as Marburg other than Jim Cummings. The man was perfect for that role.

What's even better is you could say the same thing about Winnie the Pooh.

The guy's good at VA.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

The Viper posted:

This is why I always play the most goody two-shoes clean cut guy in every game. I am a boring, boring man.

I have real trouble with that sort of thing too. You're not alone.

Hell, I can't even be a dick in management games. For example, I am incapable of playing Tropico 3 as anything other than a full-on welfare-stating egalitarian socialist who allows free elections and never puts anything into his Swiss bank account.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

The Viper posted:

I really like that you can do AP totally kill-free (within reason). One of my pet peeves is games that let you slaughter thousands and then act like it's some moral choice whether the big boss lives or dies. It's kind of an uncomfortable metaphor, if you think about it. It's like, these plebeians don't matter, their death is both expected and unmourned, it's only between us powerful folk that any mercy is shown. It bums me out a little.

In that case it's more consistent to murder every big boss to show equality. Though in fairness, in AP, not killing the big boss isn't really about showing mercy so much as it's about completing your mission.

John Charity Spring posted:

I have real trouble with that sort of thing too. You're not alone.

I want to try an rear end in a top hat run, but I suspect I'd have trouble being rude to Mina (aside from the M1lfluv3r email, most of those are unpleasant) then deliberately leaving her to die or killing Sis.

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Plus then you get an "awesome" email from Albatross.

• Locked thread