Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Soonmot posted:

I'm just finishing up Taipei, my last hub, on my hard run and, upon checking my achievement list, saw that the 360 has NO achievement for hard mode. gently caress, you guys weren't kidding about how difficult the minigames were on this mode. I have both integrated circuitry mods and the second difficulty reduction skill for the minigames and I still have to use emps! On normal, even without sabotage or mods I only had to use EMPS if I didn't feel like waiting a few seconds to hack or whatever.

There IS an achievement for hard mode.

Some of those hacks become ridiculously hard. Best thing to do is only do the hacks you need to do rather than every single one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Hank Morgan posted:

There IS an achievement for hard mode.

Some of those hacks become ridiculously hard. Best thing to do is only do the hacks you need to do rather than every single one.

You... you are correct. I think something magical happened because I already have that achievement along with No Time For Love, both of which I know I didn't have already. My only open ones are Judge, Jury, Executioner and Thornton Inc (Which I could have sworn I gained previously).

loving wizards.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Okay, I finished my third game and still haven't got to Surkov. First two times I killed you-know-who, this time I spared him, but no difference. What specific conversation option or dossier info am I missing?

e: now that I think of it, I may have skipped going to his office, as I was doing a 'don't have time for this poo poo' run where I skipped pretty much all secondary objectives and missions :downs:

SixFigureSandwich fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 17, 2011

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

John Dough posted:

Okay, I finished my third game and still haven't got to Surkov. First two times I killed you-know-who, this time I spared him, but no difference. What specific conversation option or dossier info am I missing?

Killing or sparing him isn't what does it. Collect a decent portion of Brayko's and Surkov's dossiers (neither is difficult, you buy some and get a bunch at Brayko's mansion), and then ask Brayko about the missiles or Halbech or whatever after his boss fight. The option comes up even if you've barely got any of his dossier.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Hah, this is my 5th or 6th playthrough and I got an entirely different level I hadn't even seen before. For the first time I tried to piss Scarlet off at every turn and at the end I ended up meeting her at an outdoor cafe instead of the hotel. I remember reading there use to be a 'date' mission with Scarlet at a cafe that was cut, and I guess this was reusing the level assets. It also had one of the best Suave Thorton lines:

Scarlet: I guess my wardrobe speaks softly.
Thorton: And I carry a big 'stick'.
Scarlet: Nice.

kuribo
Aug 2, 2003

Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow.
I think I may have taken the best screenshot ever.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/uxbn_kuribo/screenshot/578928798646627540?tab=public

The knife on the table just kinda adds to the mystique.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Hank Morgan posted:

What is this poo poo here? You're saying that you came across something hackable and didn't hack it? I don't even know what to say.

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.
Started my third run. Playing veteran and leaning towards aggressive choices. I want to get along with Sie as I have not seen much of her in my previous two runs. Everyone else can gently caress off. Any tips for this? Should I do the [Moscow]train mission first to meet up with her or go to [Rome]and finish the missions up to and including the meeting with Marburg first. Any other tips to maximize Sie interactions appreciated.

VVV Thanks.

Vizrt fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 18, 2011

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Vizrt posted:

Started my third run. Playing veteran and leaning towards aggressive choices. I want to get along with Sie as I have not seen much of her in my previous two runs. Everyone else can gently caress off. Any tips for this? Should I do the [Moscow]train mission first to meet up with her or go to [Rome]and finish the missions up to and including the meeting with Marburg first. Any other tips to maximize Sie interactions appreciated.

Go to Moscow first so you can use SIE for your handler in Marburg's mansion. If you do Rome first all you get is extra line or two from her if you pissed off or killed Marburg. Other than that, hub order doesn't matter much.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Speaking of armor mods, if you have two different ones do they add or just use the best one? Like, is a +1 and +2 gloves equal to +3 or just +2 and a wasted slot?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

What is this poo poo here? You're saying that you came across something hackable and didn't hack it? I don't even know what to say.

See, this is why I shake my head when I see people saying "hacking is so hard :qq:"

If you don't put points into hacking, you will not find it easy to hack things, and you shouldn't always try! Just as if you put no points into pistols, you should not be surprised if using pistols is not a productive and fun use of your time!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

GetWellGamers posted:

Speaking of armor mods, if you have two different ones do they add or just use the best one? Like, is a +1 and +2 gloves equal to +3 or just +2 and a wasted slot?

Yes, they stack, this is the only thing that's making late game minigames remotely possible on hard mode.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

See, this is why I shake my head when I see people saying "hacking is so hard :qq:"

If you don't put points into hacking, you will not find it easy to hack things, and you shouldn't always try! Just as if you put no points into pistols, you should not be surprised if using pistols is not a productive and fun use of your time!

Hard mode hacking becomes virtually impossible without cyborg reflexes around the game's halfway point, even if you do have points in hacking.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

Hard mode hacking becomes virtually impossible without cyborg reflexes around the game's halfway point, even if you do have points in hacking.

Without a 360 controller. On normal mode without armor mods or points in sabotage, all the minigames are totally doable, that's why I am so amazed at the difficulty of the games on hard mode. I didn't get 10 pin circuits until the end of the game on normal.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I admit to never having stapled myself in the dick played the game on Hard.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Doc Hawkins posted:

Me and Heck are storming the castle right now.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

It's definitely not worth it, at all. Unless you want the achievement. It's just a waste of time and really highlights and magnifies of the shortcomings that you can kinda gloss over on Easy and Normal.

Here's another theory about critic reception: maybe they all played on hard?

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

I'm doing the Embassy mission in Moscow at the moment as Veteran. I get into the elevator and someone (Sie? She's my handler. Didn't sound like Mina or her though) starts humming this very familiar tune that I can't place for some reason. Caught me by surprise as I had not encountered that before.

Also, love how missions go by so much faster when you don't give a drat about who you kill or what alarms you set off.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Finished this over the weekend. Really great writing for the most part but some really atrocious gameplay at the end (I didn't mind it until the very last scenario).

Also I feel really bad for whoever designed and animated Sis ... despite being the most expressive character in the entire game, she ends up only appearing in a select handful of scenes it seems?

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

Vizrt posted:

I'm doing the Embassy mission in Moscow at the moment as Veteran. I get into the elevator and someone (Sie? She's my handler. Didn't sound like Mina or her though) starts humming this very familiar tune that I can't place for some reason. Caught me by surprise as I had not encountered that before.

Also, love how missions go by so much faster when you don't give a drat about who you kill or what alarms you set off.

It's the Ride of the Valkyries.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V92OBNsQgxU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

It's definitely not worth it, at all. Unless you want the achievement. It's just a waste of time and really highlights and magnifies of the shortcomings that you can kinda gloss over on Easy and Normal.

Here's another theory about critic reception: maybe they all played on hard?

My buddy did video game reviews for a website for awhile and he always played everything on the maximum possible difficulty. I tried to explain that the majority of people would never play at that hard a setting and that his reviews would be more beneficial if he played at normal settings but he wouldn't hear of it. For the record, he likes Alpha Protocol but never reviewed it during his time there.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I know a ton of people that refuse to play videogames on lower difficulties flat out, even if they're having troubles with higher difficulties, and I really don't know why. I play everything on easy and move up if it's too much of a cakewalk. All I know is I probably would enjoy this nearly as much if 'pop iron will, fury' was not a valid tactic for crowd control. :v:

worlds gayest baby
Jul 7, 2011

by angerbeet
So wait, do you have to use Mina as your handler for most of the game or was there some way to change them that I missed? Whenever I got a dialogue option or whatever, I'd go with someone who wasn't Mina, but can you just ditch her from the get go?

I've just finished my first run with Mina's approval at -10. I don't know why she gets so angry about me killing people who opened fire on me first!

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Torsade de Pointes posted:

It's the Ride of the Valkyries.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V92OBNsQgxU

Thanks. That would have annoyed me all night not being able to recall what it was.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Bought the game 12 days ago; 102 hours and 4 playthroughs later (all on Hard :smug:) now I'm on Veteran and I still see myself playing this again more than a couple of times. I have to do at least one more; I somehow wound up with a kill during my no-kill run 10 hours in.

I can only hope that maybe some day another publisher will take up Obsidian on wanting to do AP2. Hopefully the kinds of discounted sales like Steam ran help to "get the word out" to the gaming public at large.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I think I'm starting to see why this game was critically panned. I'm at the helicopter mission right near the end and it's driving me insane. I chose to go with pistols and stealth throughout the game but now it's forcing me to run and gun which obviously I don't have the skill set for. So this means death and a lot of reloads.

Then add in the fact every second time I re-load the game crashes. I am NOT doing the re-load from a checkpoint, just loading like I have all through the rest of the game. Never before have I had a problem until I need to do it a lot.

It's a real shame as I was loving this game up until this.

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

I think I'm starting to see why this game was critically panned. I'm at the helicopter mission right near the end and it's driving me insane. I chose to go with pistols and stealth throughout the game but now it's forcing me to run and gun which obviously I don't have the skill set for. So this means death and a lot of reloads.

Then add in the fact every second time I re-load the game crashes. I am NOT doing the re-load from a checkpoint, just loading like I have all through the rest of the game. Never before have I had a problem until I need to do it a lot.

Have that same reload bug. I found that quitting to the main menu and loading from there helped. Better than having to boot up the game again each time.

worlds gayest baby
Jul 7, 2011

by angerbeet

Red_Fred posted:

My solution to the chopper battle was to hug the wall underneath the first the first tower in the area you find the helicopter, it can't shoot you.

I beat it easily just by running out, shooting it and running back to let my shields recharge if I was hit, and I was in pistols and stealth, too. Most of the boss battles have easy ways to cheese them, like hiding behind the first crate you see, which is out of his grenade and gun range, and then whittling him down with the assault rifle during the Darcy battle.

worlds gayest baby fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 18, 2011

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

In Taipei In the Triad Base mission, is there a way to get into Eric Chung's room without tripping an alarm? I can get to the back of the room to close the sluice gates and open the safe, but if I so much as glance at the window there are three assholes looking in and immediately spot me/rush through the door/sound the alarm.

Also, this loving game. Best five dollars I ever spent.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

worlds gayest baby posted:

My solution to the chopper battle was if you hug the wall before the first tower when you find the helicopter, it can't shoot you.

I beat it easily just by running out, shooting it and running back to let my shields recharge if I was hit, and I was in pistols and stealth, too. Most of the boss battles have easy ways to cheese them, like hiding behind the first crate you see, which is out of his grenade and gun range, and then whittling him down with the assault rifle during the Darcy battle.

Well I can survive it fine and have hit it with six rockets but can't find anymore and it's still flying around! Eventually I die looking for the seventh fabled rocket. Can I shot it with my pistol?

EDIT: No. loving. Way. I thought all the rocket launchers lying around was a hint that normal guns wouldn't hurt it. Jesus. :negative:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

Well I can survive it fine and have hit it with six rockets but can't find anymore and it's still flying around! Eventually I die looking for the seventh fabled rocket. Can I shot it with my pistol?

EDIT: No. loving. Way. I thought all the rocket launchers lying around was a hint that normal guns wouldn't hurt it. Jesus. :negative:

Pain in the rear end, I know.

It's the best moment of a shotgun Veteran run, though. I got up underneath the thing, flipped the shotgun's "gently caress this" switch, and pumped shells into the chopper until it exploded.

BSAKat posted:

In Taipei In the Triad Base mission, is there a way to get into Eric Chung's room without tripping an alarm? I can get to the back of the room to close the sluice gates and open the safe, but if I so much as glance at the window there are three assholes looking in and immediately spot me/rush through the door/sound the alarm.

Not really. There are many, many points in AP where the enemies basically have super-senses and can hear you knocking air molecules together. That room's one of them.

worlds gayest baby
Jul 7, 2011

by angerbeet

Red_Fred posted:

Yeah, I had the same problem too, but for the record the last launcher spawns at the farthest tower a short time after using all the others AFAIK. I eventually just finished it with the assault rifle

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Oxxidation posted:

Not really. There are many, many points in AP where the enemies basically have super-senses and can hear you knocking air molecules together. That room's one of them.

Well, poo poo. That figures. I like not setting the alarm off, though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

To be fair, that section in particular is one where the alarms have to be tripped, as it leads into the setpiece at the end of the mission where you have to deal with the Triad members swarming the place.

This being Alpha Protocol, of course, that scene could be totally avoidable and may have been different for someone else. I never know.

Valen
Oct 1, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

I have the same loading problem. Between that, the random camera hitches spinning Mike around making me disoriented, and the fact that Mike stops running during certain sequences during the Brayko fight causing him to catch and two-shot me almost made me ragequit the game. I would be pissed if I paid full price for the game. There's so much jank here I can really only tolerate playing in short doses and that's a shame. The dialogue bits are really good, but the game bits are... really bad.

edit:

BSAKat posted:

I don't think it's possible. I walked around the back of the room, opened the door and hid by it then chainshot/otherwise pistol sniped everyone in the room but Chung, who was around the corner and I couldn't get to him without killing the turrets that eventually become useful. Once everyone else was dead I was able to hack the computer and Chung immediately set off an alarm and got wasted by the turrets. That was the only alarm that went off for me that mission, and I didn't trigger it so I'm calling that one a semi-victory. Maybe Chung eventually wanders out in range of you from the door but he just stood in one spot for me for an awful long time.

Valen fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 18, 2011

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Well I just finished up my first play through. I tried to be pretty moral but with the odd witty call. This ended up with:

Mina, the Taiwanese President, innocents at the museum, nearly all henchmen and informants dying. Scarlett getting away.

What is a good way to go through for the second run?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Red_Fred posted:

Aim for the tail.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Red_Fred posted:

Well I just finished up my first play through. I tried to be pretty moral but with the odd witty call. This ended up with:

Mina, the Taiwanese President, innocents at the museum, nearly all henchmen and informants dying. Scarlett getting away.

What is a good way to go through for the second run?

Okay, if you want to save Mina, you need to not skip past her door on the way out of Alpha Protocol during the final mission. The final bad guy will ask you whether or not you want to spend time to save her; you'll be in an interesection and there will even be a video display of Mina above the door. It leads to the shooting gallery where you first met her. Saving the Taiwanese President over saving the rioters is a moral dilemma and I think you can play it either way. Madison can be saved, but only at the cost of the bombs going off; she'll dump you after that even if she likes you, because she doesn't want you to put her life above those of many others instead. Sie or Albatross (whoever helped you assault Brakyo's mansion) can die (or worse, be executed by your own hand) if you don't choose to save them; you can usually spend the time to save them.

As for Scarlet getting away; it all depends on whether you meet up with her before the final match with Leland. You can bump into her in the interrogation room you started the game in on your way out of Alpha Protocol, she'll be in there, and she'll be as surprised to see you as you are to see her. You can kill her or let her go. If you don't do either, she shows up to snipe you in the final area; you can convince her to turn on Leland or have your partner shoot her.

It might be fun to go Recruit, so you can unlock Veteran Mode. Recruit is a nice challenge without getting too obnoxious, and once you're a Veteran, the game is your sandbox. After that, go nuts. Try to bed every woman in the game or something! It's possible! (there's also another perk that happens for turning every one of them down during the moment-heh).

Sorry about the wall of black bars. I just plugged this game in myself one more time. Dam it feels good.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Speedball posted:

Okay, if you want to save Mina, you need to not skip past her door on the way out of Alpha Protocol during the final mission. The final bad guy will ask you whether or not you want to spend time to save her; you'll be in an interesection and there will even be a video display of Mina above the door. It leads to the shooting gallery where you first met her. Saving the Taiwanese President over saving the rioters is a moral dilemma and I think you can play it either way. Madison can be saved, but only at the cost of the bombs going off; she'll dump you after that even if she likes you, because she doesn't want you to put her life above those of many others instead. Sie or Albatross (whoever helped you assault Brakyo's mansion) can die (or worse, be executed by your own hand) if you don't choose to save them; you can usually spend the time to save them.

As for Scarlet getting away; it all depends on whether you meet up with her before the final match with Leland. You can bump into her in the interrogation room you started the game in on your way out of Alpha Protocol, she'll be in there, and she'll be as surprised to see you as you are to see her. You can kill her or let her go. If you don't do either, she shows up to snipe you in the final area; you can convince her to turn on Leland or have your partner shoot her.

It might be fun to go Recruit, so you can unlock Veteran Mode. Recruit is a nice challenge without getting too obnoxious, and once you're a Veteran, the game is your sandbox. After that, go nuts. Try to bed every woman in the game or something! It's possible! (there's also another perk that happens for turning every one of them down during the moment-heh).

Sorry about the wall of black bars. I just plugged this game in myself one more time. Dam it feels good.

I think I may have gone recruit for that run through by accident as Veteran is now available. I also got a lot of poo poo from Westridge so maybe that was because I was a recruit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

BSAKat posted:

I remember doing it without tripping the alarm. That computer in front of the window - it's designed to be used by those with Remote Hacking.

• Locked thread