Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Jhonas posted:

I'm in the same boat as Kalibar and I think it is a copout. It's one thing to say "my Android phone only gets 24 - 30 hours while my iPhone could sometimes get up to 2 or 3 days on average," and another thing to have an Android device that is lucky to make it 5 hours on a full charge with minimal use and be bitching about how horrible that is.

If your response to a phone with a super AMOLED plus display and a 1600mA battery getting 5 hours even without the LTE radio turned on is, "welp, Android isn't known for battery life!" then maybe you're a terrible shithammer who should be beaten to death with a bag of petrified pig dicks. Because guess what, that is just not an acceptable answer and that attitude is the reason terrible poo poo like this is allowed to happen. Please stop "just going with it." If it's bad, admit that it's bad. Don't just tell yourself it isn't an iPhone so you better just deal with it.

I am not expecting the best battery life in the game like I had with my iPhone 3GS. I am expecting my phone to last 16 hours or so, especially when I'm hardly ever waking the phone up, screen brightness is always manually set to the lowest setting, I haven't used any minutes, and the 4G radio is shut off. That has proven to be impossible. I have a phone I avoid using that still doesn't make it through a day without more charging.

This is my first Android phone and while it has been a laughably bad experience and I will be trading it in for something else, I am not going to give up on the platform entirely because I am very sure there exists a phone that meets my expectations.

Still can't believe they had the stones to name it the Droid Charge.

My usage dictates I need to keep a second battery on hand. I've never gotten the advertised times out of my Android phone. Do you know what I did instead of crying on a forum about how you idiots let them do this? I bought another battery for six bucks and went on with my day. If you don't like it by another loving smartphone but the reality is Android smartphones don't get the best battery life and it can vary greatly depending on a lot of stuff.

Now, if you think your Charge is not getting enough battery life TAKE IT BACK. Get a replacement and try that. But no matter who you call names or how much you bitch it isn't going to change reality.

BATTERY LIFE ON ANDROID PHONES SUCKS WE HAVE ADMITTED IT. You then called it a cop out.

Edit: I guess my point is that I don't know what you want us to do other than tell you that the battery life of Android phones sucks. For some it's obviously not a deal breaker and still others get perfectly adequate battery life. It all depends on your usage habits. You might need to check out the iPhone, which gets pretty great battery life I think. But getting pissy when people give you the answer you didn't want is pretty stupid.

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jhonas posted:

If your response to a phone with a super AMOLED plus display and a 1600mA battery getting 5 hours even without the LTE radio turned on is, "welp, Android isn't known for battery life!" then maybe you're a terrible shithammer who should be beaten to death with a bag of petrified pig dicks.

Yes, if you make harmless exaggerations, you are an idiot who should be killed. What the hell is wrong with you?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Jhonas posted:

I'm in the same boat as Kalibar and I think it is a copout. It's one thing to say "my Android phone only gets 24 - 30 hours while my iPhone could sometimes get up to 2 or 3 days on average," and another thing to have an Android device that is lucky to make it 5 hours on a full charge with minimal use and be bitching about how horrible that is.

If your response to a phone with a super AMOLED plus display and a 1600mA battery getting 5 hours even without the LTE radio turned on is, "welp, Android isn't known for battery life!" then maybe you're a terrible shithammer who should be beaten to death with a bag of petrified pig dicks. Because guess what, that is just not an acceptable answer and that attitude is the reason terrible poo poo like this is allowed to happen. Please stop "just going with it." If it's bad, admit that it's bad. Don't just tell yourself it isn't an iPhone so you better just deal with it.

I am not expecting the best battery life in the game like I had with my iPhone 3GS. I am expecting my phone to last 16 hours or so, especially when I'm hardly ever waking the phone up, screen brightness is always manually set to the lowest setting, I haven't used any minutes, and the 4G radio is shut off. That has proven to be impossible. I have a phone I avoid using that still doesn't make it through a day without more charging.

This is my first Android phone and while it has been a laughably bad experience and I will be trading it in for something else, I am not going to give up on the platform entirely because I am very sure there exists a phone that meets my expectations.

Get Juicedefender, gently caress with your autobrightness settings (turn down max screen brightness on auto, etc), don't stream videos or music, and bump charge it in the mornings. If you don't know what any of these are, google/xda will tell you much more than I can. Hope this helps.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Jhonas posted:

I think your confusing yourself with two different people.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Bob A Feet posted:

Get Juicedefender, gently caress with your autobrightness settings (turn down max screen brightness on auto, etc), don't stream videos or music, and bump charge it in the mornings. If you don't know what any of these are, google/xda will tell you much more than I can. Hope this helps.

I get the impression he doesn't want help. He just wants us all to admit that we are horrible people for supporting these manufacturers and their awful batteries.

Also making sure there aren't any rouge apps eating your battery. Check your sync times. A lot of apps will default to updating like three times an hour. Also try not to obsess over your battery, it sounds dumb but when I was constantly thinking about my battery I was checking it every two seconds, thus running the battery down even faster.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Pascallion posted:

Going off of the example from the first 5 hours, it seems like:
1) The battery info can't be trusted.
2) 10 minutes of screen time will drain 11.3% of my total battery so 1.45 hours of the screen being on at all ((not actually DOING anything meaningful) will completely drain the battery.
Both of these things are (approximately) true. First, AMOLED screens suck a good deal of power. On the other hand, using a mostly-black screen or turning down the screen brightness actually has a measurable difference in power consumption. Unfortunately this is just a tradeoff with AMOLED as a screen technology and one of the things you pay for, for OMG colors. If you want to prioritize display power efficiency, look at the Motorola pentile RGBW LCD displays. It's optimized for power efficiency and absolutely nothing else (i.e., lookin' good).

That said, the battery usage information is largely (if not total) bullshit. In Froyo (and I don't think this much has been changed for Gingerbread) the way battery usage percentages are computed is by keeping track of how much time a component is on, and multiplying it by an average power usage number predetermined by some method of dubious accuracy. At best, it's a crude estimation of actual power consumption.

For example, display consumption is computed as a linear function of the brightness setting. It consists of a constant "screen on" factor, and a linearly-interpolated (starting at zero) "screen full" factor. So while this gives an approximation of power consumption for a given brightness setting, it neglects things like which colors were used. So if the screen is on, but displaying white text on a black background, where 20% of the screen contains text, actual power consumption is going to be a quarter of that if the screen was containing 20% black text on a white background. How any of that translates into the bullshit average consumption numbers used by battery stats is anyone's guess.

In general, I'll say that while Samsung's power consumption tends to be fairly reasonable relative to other Android devices (although none that great), any power efficiency they have is likely the result of decent hardware as opposed to significant (or frankly, any) effort to optimize at the driver or OS level.

Keep in mind that Samsung spends just enough time engineering the software stack for their CDMA devices to release them in a barely working (if that) state, and I've not seen evidence of them putting in much effort beyond that for things like power optimization.

To give an example, the Epic's hardware keyboard keystate poll loop spins 100 times longer than is actually necessary, far longer than any Linux embedded hardware keyboard driver, anytime a key is held down. This mean that the original (Eclair) keyboard driver burns 7% CPU time just to watch for key releases. This was reduced to just 2% in Froyo, by virtue of increasing the poll timer delay to the extent that the hardware keyboard frequently skips keypresses, a frustrating and often made complaint by Epic users. When properly tuned, the driver uses just 0.2% CPU time and is perfectly responsive. This illustrates how a simple optimization for the purpose of bettering user experience can also reduce CPU utilization and power consumption, but it something Samsung never bothered to do properly despite frequent complaints. I'd be surprised if they were to go out of their way to optimize drivers purely for power efficiency purposes alone.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Not to mention the charge is a bastard child of last year's tech and this year's power hungry LTE antenna.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Codiusprime posted:

Not to mention the charge is a bastard child of last year's tech and this year's power hungry LTE antenna.
Which I wouldn't be surprised is not accounted for properly in its power profile too.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Hey, Verizon is getting the Epic!

A few more details on Verizon's Samsung SCH-i405 slider

Note, those are the exact same specs as the Epic s/WiMAX/LTE/ and releasing with Android 2.3.4. It may also have SAMOLED+ and a bigger battery.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What kind of impact do the Pentile displays have on battery efficiency? Can we reasonably expect the Bionic to be more power-efficient than the other LTE phones based on the screen alone?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Note, those are the exact same specs as the Epic s/WiMAX/LTE/ and releasing with Android 2.3.4. It may also have SAMOLED+ and a bigger battery.

2010 Codiusprime is giddy. I always thought the Epic was the most interesting variation.

Keep the hits coming Verizon, last year's crowd is really impressed with your phone lineup.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

doctor thodt posted:

What kind of impact do the Pentile displays have on battery efficiency?
Motorola's pentile RGBW LCD displays are a different ballgame from the AMOLED pentile RGBG displays Samsung used on the early SGS models.

Basically, by including a white pixel, the RGBW displays can maintain the same apparent brightness at lower backlight brightness levels. That Wikipedia link claims 50% less average power consumption over a conventional LCD.

doctor thodt posted:

Can we reasonably expect the Bionic to be more power-efficient than the other LTE phones based on the screen alone?
I suspect the screen is going to be a good deal more power efficient compared to other LTE devices, but that says nothing about the LTE radio efficiency or other factors. The 1930 mAh battery certainly helps battery life though.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

dyne posted:

I can't comment on the battery life yet, it supposedly takes a couple charge/discharge cycles to get the runtime to where it's going to be.

I've had mine for a week (got it the 8th) and I've not been impressed with the battery. I take it off the charger at 8 or so in the morning, and its telling me to plug it in about 12 hours later with medium usage (20-30 emails received, checking Facebook/twitter once or twice). My expectations are probably a little skewed though, as I'm coming from a Blackberry.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Jhonas posted:

What exactly do you mean hardly ever waking your phone up. Do you mean like for a few minutes every hour, or more, or less?

When I use my thunderbolt, a phone known for having bad battery, and only use it a few minutes every couple of hours it easily lasts me two days. 4G radio on.

When you say elsewhere that you get 5 hours on it, do you mean:

1. Unplug, and 5 hours later it's dead.
2. Unplug, and 5 hours of USE later its dead, which is 16 hours later, because it's idle the rest of the time.

My thunderbolt dies with around 5 hours of use (screen on/browsing/streaming/other) depending on how hard I actually use it, that 5 hours of use has lasted me 2 days. Again, this is a phone known for a small battery.

If your phone is dieing that quickly without you using it there's something wrong.

1. Bad signal. Bad signal kills battery.
2. Apps gone rogue and consuming power when they should be off. One thing you can do is check your uptime vs awake time. (Home- > [menu] -> Settings -> About Phone -> Status) Your awake time should be much less than up time. You can also take a look and see what is using up your battery. (Home- > [menu] -> Settings –> About Phone –> Battery)
3. Something's defective. This happens.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Codiusprime posted:

Keep the hits coming Verizon, last year's crowd is really impressed with your phone lineup.
It's scary to think it might be marginally popular as the only LTE hardware keyboard device until the Droid 4 or whatever.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's scary to think it might be marginally popular as the only LTE hardware keyboard device until the Droid 4 or whatever.

drat you Blarg! Always saying things that make sense.

That's scary to me as I love hardware keyboards and know if I was less knowledgeable of phones I could probably be easily talked into it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Why can't someone, ANYONE make a freaking LTE phone with physical keyboard and better specs than my freaking Droid 2 Global? :(

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

Why can't someone, ANYONE make a freaking LTE phone with physical keyboard and better specs than my freaking Droid 2 Global? :(

We are a dying breed my friend :(

All we can do is stick together and remember better times.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Codiusprime posted:

We are a dying breed my friend :(

All we can do is stick together and remember better times.

I wish I could just bolt a LTE radio to my D2G and run with that.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver
I would kill for a Droid Incredible 2 sized 4G slide phone. My wife's DI2 is pretty much the perfect size add a slide and 4G and its be prefect for me. Even if the keyboard added a little bit of heft it would still be perfect.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Codiusprime posted:

2010 Codiusprime is giddy. I always thought the Epic was the most interesting variation.

Yes because Verizon doesn't have the Droid 3 and Droid X2 with dual core and the upcoming Bionic :jerkbag:

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yes because Verizon doesn't have the Droid 3 and Droid X2 with dual core and the upcoming Bionic :jerkbag:

EDIT drat chocolateTHUNDER you make it difficult to be a douche.

I just think the HTC offerings on other networks are stronger.

drat you Verizon, why does your LTE network have to own so drat hard. Hopefully by the time I'm ready for an upgrade they'll have something that interest me. Me being the keyword.

Edit: And now they've trapped me! I'm not giving up my unlimited plan till they pry it from my greedy little claws.

Edit x2: I'll even give you the Bionic. I think it's going to be a great phone but I don't think MotoNinjaBlur is going to end up being as good as Sense 3.0. Again, all opinion.

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 18, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Codiusprime posted:

Haha, were you the guy that got all pissy when I complained about Verizon's line up the last time? Can't remember.

Sorry my opinion offends ya sport. I just think the HTC offerings on other networks are stronger.

drat you Verizon, why does your LTE network have to own so drat hard. Hopefully by the time I'm ready for an upgrade they'll have something that interest me. Me being the keyword.

Edit: And now they've trapped me! I'm not giving up my unlimited plan till they pry it from my greedy little claws.

Edit x2: I'll even give you the Bionic. I think it's going to be a great phone but I don't think MotoNinjaBlur is going to end up being as good as Sense 3.0. Again, all opinion.

Lol no im not :) I see where some people would prefer sense over motoblur, I personally happen to like the build quality of motorola's android offerings.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Lol no im not :) I see where some people would prefer sense over motoblur, I personally happen to like the build quality of motorola's android offerings.

Sorry for biting your head off, uncalled for.

I really like the 3D and the Sensation. I know Verizon will get something similar down the line, just bitter. I really like the looks of the Bionic and I hope Moto starts unlocking their bootloaders soon. Then their custom UI hopefully won't matter.

So. Verizon buddies. Who else is tossing and turning at night hoping the ICS Nexus heads our way. Please oh please.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Jhonas posted:

I'm not really sure, but it seems like the Charge has really discordant battery life for everyone. During my work day (in the hospital basement, which actually gets great Verizon signal but no LTE) which is about 10 hours, and brightness around 25% (which is really more than enough for SAMOLED+, not for battery savings). I end up going home with around 40-50% regardless of if I actually turn off LTE or not. That ends up being around 1.5 hrs of screen on time. It goes fairly well for me. If I use the phone less, I'll have slightly more % left.

Contrast this with when I had the Thunderbolt in a different hospital where VZW coverage was terrible, and it died around 7 hours in with very minimal use.

I suspect coverage may play a part in some of this.

Tachonium
Sep 9, 2000

The New Steel.
I'm sure its been asked, but I searched through the last 10 or so pages...

If I upgrade my minutes from 700 to 1400, will I lose my grandfathered unlimited data?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So how lovely are the new data plans, anyway?

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Well, I (and my roommate and his girlfriend) all switched over to the Droid 3. They were interested in trying the Fascinate, but since those aren't made anymore (we didn't know that since our store still keeps a model on the floor...seriously, what the gently caress). We looked at the battery life and the store model was nearing the end of its battery...after more than a full day and several hours of screen time.

Here's hoping!

So on another note: are there really no sites that do good analysis of battery life for different phones? Or are they just hard to find?

If I knew anything about business, web sites, testing...or smartphones...I'd consider starting one.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Fuzz posted:

So how lovely are the new data plans, anyway?

Pretty lovely. I mean $30 for 2 GB of data? That's garbage, especially when their pushing LTE phones so hard.

I was fully expecting 5GB for $30, I don't like caps but I think that would have been acceptable (either that or cap by speed instead) but 2GB is lovely of them.

I kept my unlimited so it doesn't affect me, sucks for new users though.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I think there would have definitely been much less backlash if the plan was $30 for 5GB.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Pascallion posted:

They were interested in trying the Fascinate, but since those aren't made anymore (we didn't know that since our store still keeps a model on the floor...seriously, what the gently caress).

For this, they should give thanks to whatever deity they may believe in.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
My biggest complaint with the Thunderbolt is the random battery life that seems to be plaguing those Charges as well. Obviously my phone has worse overall battery life than the Charge; regardless, theres plenty of days where I'm plugging in my portable battery by 3 or find an open plug while others I make it home at 30%. I think I use it about as much every day. I decided I couldn't wait for the Charge even for rumored improved battery life and that screen. My previous work phone was the Fascinate and the time spent waiting for Froyo jaded me with Samsung. Not to mention the Froyo update nearly ruined the phone.

A coworker with the Charge and she's thrilled with it, but even she admits there are some days she barely uses it and its dead. We work smack dab in the middle of a 4G area. I personally have seen my battery tank n areas with questionable coverage (both 3G and 4G).

Someone earlier in this thread claimed Google darkened the homescreen and icons in Gingerbread in order to help those AMOLED screens. Dark colors/blacks uses less power with those screens. If it's true, it's a shame Samsung didn't bother to launch with Gingerbread.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
In my trials of all 3 4G phones, the Charge far and away gave me the least issues with battery life.

It would easily get me through the day no problem. T-Bolt was a charge 3 times a day affair, my Revo gets about a 3/4s of the way there.

This isnt a lot of talking, but 4G/GPS/Wifi/BT on, lots of checking email, Plants VS Zombies on the toilet, cardio trainer while biking.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
The biggest issue I have with recommending any of the 4g phones is the battery life. I've been doing all kinds of tweaking, flashing custom roms and kernels and undervolting, and running apps to help just to see what works and won't with keeping my Thunderbolt alive through a day. However, my best friend recently picked up a Revolution on the last day of unlimited data, and trying to get her to run juice defender or toggle 4g on and off when she won't need it is hell. It doesn't help that she's beholden to the iphone and maintains that because the Revolution sucks, Android in general sucks.

But, it's not like you can argue otherwise. The Revolution DOES suck. And for someone who can barely figure out how to change their wallpaper, asking them to tweak their usage settings or set up a tasker or run juice defender is like dragging a mule through the mud.

It's awful that Verizon thought that this generation of LTE phones would be acceptable to release with anything less than a 1700 mah battery and advanced 4g switching logic. I mean, seriously, the Incredible had battery issues with a 3.7 in screen and 3g; and they're trying to pawn off the SAME drat battery on a 4.3 in 4g phone running a bloated UI. And then think it's okay to put out an extended battery that makes the phone twice as thick and look like it's got a goiter.

The shittiest part of all of this was I switched from AT&T where I had unlimited data and a brand new Atrix because their 4g was never activated and their iphone centric upload speed capping made the phone unusable with streaming services. And now, the Atrix has been unlocked, and their 4g service is actually running. And my unlimited data for them is gone, so I'm stuck here with what basically amounts to a corded phone and my only chance to get better is once again with MOTOROLA!

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
So this is cool. Had 4G in my area for the first time ever today. Battery charging through the PC's usb (which I've done many times before) and I just noticed it's down to 87% from 100. I'm actually losing charge while my phone flips out inside of our office building as it tries to hold onto a signal. I'll range from no service to 4G in here. =/

I'm sure something else is draining the battery that hard, but jesus. It's PLUGGED IN and losing battery.

Pulling the battery and seeing if that helps.

At least I DID get to mess around with 4G for a bit, and jesus christ it's fast. Makes me feel like my phone went from 56k to cable.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

nickhimself posted:

So this is cool. Had 4G in my area for the first time ever today. Battery charging through the PC's usb (which I've done many times before) and I just noticed it's down to 87% from 100. I'm actually losing charge while my phone flips out inside of our office building as it tries to hold onto a signal. I'll range from no service to 4G in here. =/

I'm sure something else is draining the battery that hard, but jesus. It's PLUGGED IN and losing battery.

Pulling the battery and seeing if that helps.

At least I DID get to mess around with 4G for a bit, and jesus christ it's fast. Makes me feel like my phone went from 56k to cable.

If they're just lighting up the towers in your area, it's probably going in and out up and down as they get things set up and tuned. That kind of activity will gently caress with your battery like none other.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.
I have occasional battery issues on my TBolt too, but I'm blaming it on some runaway process. Normally I'll get home with 30% left without a problem (admittedly with pretty light usage) but some days (like today) I took the phone off charger at around 9:30, and now it's almost 12:30 and it's at 45% remaining. A reboot usually fixes it just fine. I don't know what the gently caress is doing it, but it kind of pisses me off. Is there a decent app that will show me what's actually running? The processes thing in the battery section isn't very helpful.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over
I'm at the end of my billing cycle and have used 0.16 gb. This has gone down from 10gb of usage several months ago before I turned on wifi.

It's amazing how much data you save by having it automatically pick up frequently visited wifi networks.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

AppleCobbler posted:

The biggest issue I have with recommending any of the 4g phones is the battery life. I've been doing all kinds of tweaking, flashing custom roms and kernels and undervolting, and running apps to help just to see what works and won't with keeping my Thunderbolt alive through a day. However, my best friend recently picked up a Revolution on the last day of unlimited data, and trying to get her to run juice defender or toggle 4g on and off when she won't need it is hell. It doesn't help that she's beholden to the iphone and maintains that because the Revolution sucks, Android in general sucks.

But, it's not like you can argue otherwise. The Revolution DOES suck. And for someone who can barely figure out how to change their wallpaper, asking them to tweak their usage settings or set up a tasker or run juice defender is like dragging a mule through the mud.

It's awful that Verizon thought that this generation of LTE phones would be acceptable to release with anything less than a 1700 mah battery and advanced 4g switching logic. I mean, seriously, the Incredible had battery issues with a 3.7 in screen and 3g; and they're trying to pawn off the SAME drat battery on a 4.3 in 4g phone running a bloated UI. And then think it's okay to put out an extended battery that makes the phone twice as thick and look like it's got a goiter.

The shittiest part of all of this was I switched from AT&T where I had unlimited data and a brand new Atrix because their 4g was never activated and their iphone centric upload speed capping made the phone unusable with streaming services. And now, the Atrix has been unlocked, and their 4g service is actually running. And my unlimited data for them is gone, so I'm stuck here with what basically amounts to a corded phone and my only chance to get better is once again with MOTOROLA!

That sucks man. And, I completely agree, in that I think Verizon is making GBS threads on their own face. I completely bought into the hype of 4G at first, and got myself a thunderbolt. I'll be honest, I love android, and I love the 4G speeds (they are excellent) but neither of those was worth keeping that brick of a phone. I am now on an iphone, and couldn't be happier. Until they release a phone that can last a full day with normal usage on 4G, or even 3G for that matter, I'm sticking with the iphone. With the Thunderbolt there were a few times in the month I owned it where I would forget to make sure it was 100% before I went and did some half-day outdoor activity, and the phone would loving die if I didn't put it in airplane mode. Even 3G only I was getting about a half day on it. If I had gotten into an emergency situation, guess what, I wouldn't have a working phone. Not cool.

I'm quite pissed off, because now it's nearly August and they still don't have a phone worth a second look. Not only are they skimping on batteries, they are skimping on screens as well. Bionic is going to be 4.5 loving inches. They keep increasing the screen size, while the screen quality is staying the same or worse. I don't give a poo poo how big the screen is if I can see the pixels plain as day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Bleh Maestro posted:

Until they release a phone that can last a full day with normal usage on 4G, or even 3G for that matter, I'm sticking with the iphone.

They already did.

• Locked thread