Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Unless this ghost double is capable of stopping time for the entire world for a few seconds he can't beat the final villain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
Chapter 942

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
That was loving wretched. I wonder if this is Morikawa saying "yep, this type of fight sucks, sorry" and giving us a little slack here.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
Can we all just pretend the last 300 chapters or so never happened? It will be so much better if we do...

Mario Reindeer
Jan 13, 2006
Ask me about causing a miscarriage with my fist!
I think this manga would be better if the author was just like fuckit everyone's got magic and then everyone had some magic power gimmick and then stuff actually happened at least, even if it was ridiculously retarded

Scravo
Oct 6, 2008
Part of me keeps expecting this to turn into Dragonball: The Boxing, because that would make just as much sense as using a dozen chapters for two dudes to spend one round staring at each other.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
So, Morikawa condensed 11 rounds into 4 pages for Takamura but he stretched out Ippo's one round and one punch into seven chapters. I'm not saying Takamura's match wo0uld have been more interesting (I kind of doubt Morikawa can or will make another interested fight again), but jesus christ.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Isn't this the exact same fight Ippo had back in his newbie tournament? And it ended the same way, his opponent almost wins and then changes strategies in the end, throwing the fight. Good to know the winning strategy in boxing is screwing around, and neither talent nor skill can overcome it.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I predict in the next chapter Ippo will nail Kumi and street fight Miyata.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I predict the next chapter will pull the 'It was all a dream' card and end the manga. Ippo is still a wimpy, unpopular, normally endowed japanese high school student.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I thought it was fairly funny really.

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH

Sir Lucius posted:

I predict in the next chapter Ippo will nail Kumi and street fight Miyata.

20 years of plot packed into 1 chapter.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Well, I liked the new chapter

DoublePLayer
May 6, 2008

by Shine
The last panel made me laugh very hard, I'm glad we're having more of this instead of CHARGING A PUNCH.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Well, I'll admit that was pretty good. Funny how the first chapter in a while that wasn't completely terrible had virtually nothing to do with boxing.

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH
Oh no Takamura is going to kill Kumi before Ippo can kiss her :ohdear:

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
Goddamn, that was actually a pretty good/funny chapter.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
So, let me get this straight. Currently, the best thing about this boxing manga is everything BUT the boxing.

...and I'm still reading it. Ah well, at least this chapter was funny.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

pnumoman posted:

So, let me get this straight. Currently, the best thing about this boxing manga is everything BUT the boxing.

Well no, not everything. Ippo's personal relationships are unremittingly awful.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Takamuraaaa! I want to yell at you because you're not the main characterrrrrrrr!!! Let's all put our hands behind our heads and compliment Ippo aaaaaargh. Although "let's just bitch about Takamura!" "I agree!" was cool.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

pnumoman posted:

Everything but the boxing and the training for boxing.

If they want to drag the series out for another thousand chapters that's fine with me, but the way they should do it is to cut out the filler fights, let Ippo gain the world title and grow old and retire and then have 800 chapters of hijinks as they all grow increasingly senile.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
You just wait, to make up for this ONE decent chapter, we are gonna have a 30 chapter training arc with Ippo smashing his head against a rock to mentally prepare himself for fighting Martinez. As much as it will pain Ippo to hurt his own kind, he must be strong and persist as the challenger and defeat the rocks.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

pnumoman posted:

This might be why Ippo's current state doesn't bug me as much as everyone else. I've always seen this as a "slice of life" series where the main character is a boxer rather than the traditional "I'm gonna be the very best!" shonen book. That's why certain parts that get kind of melodramatic about the boxing angle, like when Ippo's mom got sick, or when he was emo about the Miyata match being cancelled, strike me as infinitely worse than fighting a buncha gimmicky cartoon people.

If anything I'd like less boxing for a while, because Ippo is going to keep floundering until Kamogawa sets a proper agenda for him. He's probably going to fight Itagaki next though, and that should at least take another six months while Saeki fights him+other crap happens.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

FiftySeven posted:

You just wait, to make up for this ONE decent chapter, we are gonna have a 30 chapter training arc with Ippo smashing his head against a rock to mentally prepare himself for fighting Martinez. As much as it will pain Ippo to hurt his own kind, he must be strong and persist as the challenger and defeat the rocks.

drat man, I want some of whatever you are smoking.

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

FiftySeven posted:

Ippo's plan is to break Ricardo's fists by repeatedly ramming his face into them. It will work.

I did enjoy the latest chapter. I look forward to seeing what happens with Takamura.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I actually just interpreted this as Takamura being Morikawa, and everyone else being the audience of this manga, who I hope are writing in to complain. (Someone else mentioned that the discussion on 2ch is similar to here is why I assume that Japanese fans hate this as much as we do.) Basically, Morikawa is about to defend the last few lovely fights - and confirm that they will never get better.

Or maybe I'm overthinking this and it's just some comedy. Hopefully, it's just that.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'd kind of like punching stats of all of Ippo's fights released so we can see exactly just how many times he has been punched in the face.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Jose posted:

I'd kind of like punching stats of all of Ippo's fights released so we can see exactly just how many times he has been punched in the face.
I bet excepting this one-punch fight and the fight where he teabagged that one counter-puncher guy, he was losing by double-digit points until he won by knockout.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Fabricated posted:

I bet excepting this one-punch fight and the fight where he teabagged that one counter-puncher guy, he was losing by double-digit points until he won by knockout.

Sendo Vs. Vorg already showed the judges to be easily blinded by JAPANESE SPIRIT and big punches. He was probably ahead in points most of the time actually.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
I think you're reading too much into a simple hometown decision. That likely wouldn't apply nearly as much given any of the domestic challengers (Hayami, Kobashi, Saeki, etc).

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

frabba posted:

I think you're reading too much into a simple hometown decision. That likely wouldn't apply nearly as much given any of the domestic challengers (Hayami, Kobashi, Saeki, etc).

Probably, but its more fun to imagine the rest of the japanese boxing world as even more incompetent than Kamogawa.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
New chapter out.

Even the coach agrees, the past 6 years have been a waste.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
The point of this manga about boxing? Violence is bad. Ippo commits seppuku to atone and the end.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

Slippery Tilde
What a loving cock tease, They could have at least shown the guys getting layed out by Takamura.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
George better be going somewhere with this instead of putting it off.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Lamebot posted:

George better be going somewhere with this instead of putting it off.

We all know exactly where it's going.

:banjo::madmax::siren:MORE TRAINING:siren::madmax::banjo:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Ippo: *puts like 3/4ths of his opponents in the hospital with broken ribs and caved in eye-sockets*

Kamogawa: Hrmm, yes, good boxing!

Ippo: *knocks some dude out with a single punch*

Kamogawa: That's violence!

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
I love how Ippo doesn't have any lingering damage from the head shot, but he gets a raging fever from walking home in the rain. And the response from everyone is that the fever is much more concerning than the loving vicious head shot.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

pnumoman posted:

I love how Ippo doesn't have any lingering damage from the head shot, but he gets a raging fever from walking home in the rain. And the response from everyone is that the fever is much more concerning than the loving vicious head shot.

I somehow suspect that its going to turn out that everyone is stupid and forgot about him taking that massive blow and he's going to end up... Nevermind who am I kidding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

pnumoman posted:

If Ippo were to sustain an injury from an opponent that would be an unacceptable sign of weakness and imperfection, a fever from walking in the rain is just a sign of heart-warming goofiness!