Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

worlds gayest baby posted:

So wait, do you have to use Mina as your handler for most of the game or was there some way to change them that I missed? Whenever I got a dialogue option or whatever, I'd go with someone who wasn't Mina, but can you just ditch her from the get go?

I've just finished my first run with Mina's approval at -10. I don't know why she gets so angry about me killing people who opened fire on me first!

They were planning on letting you have either Mina, Darcy, or Westridge as your handler for the entire game, but they had to cut it seeing as it would require a LOT of work to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Red_Fred posted:

Well I can survive it fine and have hit it with six rockets but can't find anymore and it's still flying around! Eventually I die looking for the seventh fabled rocket. Can I shot it with my pistol?

EDIT: No. loving. Way. I thought all the rocket launchers lying around was a hint that normal guns wouldn't hurt it. Jesus. :negative:

The pistol is basically the best weapon in the game, due to Chainshot and corner criticals. I'm planning on going for a shotgun run next, and I suspect it's actually going to be a lot more difficult.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

BSAKat posted:

In Taipei In the Triad Base mission, is there a way to get into Eric Chung's room without tripping an alarm? I can get to the back of the room to close the sluice gates and open the safe, but if I so much as glance at the window there are three assholes looking in and immediately spot me/rush through the door/sound the alarm.

Also, this loving game. Best five dollars I ever spent.

There are only 3 or 4 missions that can be completed without setting off alarms.

Saudi Air Field
CIA Listening Post
Taipei Warehouse
and
Moscow spoiler Molotek, but only if you make a deal with Surkov. If you choose to fight him it's an auto alarm.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Soonmot posted:

There are only 3 or 4 missions that can be completed without setting off alarms.

Saudi Air Field
CIA Listening Post
Taipei Warehouse
and
Moscow spoiler Molotek, but only if you make a deal with Surkov. If you choose to fight him it's an auto alarm.

The Nasri mission is another possibility too. The last part where you have to neutralize his bodyguards is loving hard though, but it's doable.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Smol posted:

The Nasri mission is another possibility too. The last part where you have to neutralize his bodyguards is loving hard though, but it's doable.

I can do this non-lethally with melee takedowns without using shadow operative on Hard. I'm not really proud of this, it took a shitload of tries and relies on AI quirks

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Smol posted:

If you don't fire the missile at the castle when you play that level, you're doing it wrong. :colbert:

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Scorchy posted:

I remember doing it without tripping the alarm. That computer in front of the window - it's designed to be used by those with Remote Hacking.

Or shadow agent/emp, or just shadow agent if high enough rank

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.
The perk for getting through 5 missions with no alarms and fewer than 5 kills was way easier for me to get than that One with the Shadows perk, which is also an achievement. Getting through 3 missions without being spotted at all and fewer than 5 kills is pretty tough cause there are so few missions where it's doable. The no alarms is much easier cause you can just take everyone out before they raise the alarm or shoot the alarm itself before it goes off.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
wait whoa stop. You can shoot alarms?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Torsade de Pointes posted:

The perk for getting through 5 missions with no alarms and fewer than 5 kills was way easier for me to get than that One with the Shadows perk, which is also an achievement. Getting through 3 missions without being spotted at all and fewer than 5 kills is pretty tough cause there are so few missions where it's doable. The no alarms is much easier cause you can just take everyone out before they raise the alarm or shoot the alarm itself before it goes off.

How exactly do alarms work? Sometimes people just seem to radio instantly, other times They will never radio in.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

the_american_dream posted:

Yeah, and if an alarm panel is disabled, enemies can't use it to sound the alarm.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

You can also remote-hack which won't prevent them from activating it but will allow you to turn it on and off at your leisure afterward.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Rascyc posted:

Also I feel really bad for whoever designed and animated Sis ... despite being the most expressive character in the entire game, she ends up only appearing in a select handful of scenes it seems?

Agreed, it bugged me that despite even being on the cover of the game, Sis's character felt like a big cut-down storyline. One time was the thing with her giving Thorton the St. George locket, which Albatross and Thorton can have this big thing over, but just ends up leading to a big dead end.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 18, 2011

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Supporting characters being interesting doesn't oblige them to tell you their life's story.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

this gameeeeeeee

:psyboom:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Even better, you can sneak up to it and set an incendiary grenade by one, then sneak back to the start and run in, guns blazing. The first unfortunate soul to get to that alarm gets set on fire.

Ninja rear end in a top hat Thorton is awesome.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Soonmot posted:

If you don't fire the missile at the castle when you play that level, you're doing it wrong. :colbert:

That's truth right here.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Doc Hawkins posted:

Yeah, and if an alarm panel is disabled, enemies can't use it to sound the alarm.

This changes everything.

Can some badguys just use personal radios though?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ShineDog posted:

This changes everything.

Can some badguys just use personal radios though?

They alert other nearby guards, but not the whole level.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Soonmot posted:

They alert other nearby guards, but not the whole level.

Is this different in the training area? if the guy in parkers training sees you it just goes off, even if he doesn't hit the button.

Syvere
Apr 25, 2010
Man, I bought this game back when it came out but never really got around to play it. Anything I should know before diving in?

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Syvere posted:

Man, I bought this game back when it came out but never really got around to play it. Anything I should know before diving in?

Everything in the OP and the second post with all the hints and tips.

Syvere
Apr 25, 2010

ChuckDHead posted:

Everything in the OP and the second post with all the hints and tips.

I meant story-wise. Any recommended allies and such for the first playthrough?

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Syvere posted:

Seriously, do whatever feels right. There's not really a way to go wrong, and the story will make good sense regardless of what you choose.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Syvere posted:

Just pick whichever options feel natural, and let the story flow. This game pretty much rewards every option, both gameplay and storywise, so it's best to just go with whatever for the first playthrough.

worlds gayest baby
Jul 7, 2011

by angerbeet

Syvere posted:

Mina gets mad when you act in perfectly legitimate self-defense against people who are shooting at you, so I'd say gently caress her. Figuratively, of course.

Also Heck owns too much to not have.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hannibal Smith posted:

Just pick whichever options feel natural, and let the story flow. This game pretty much rewards every option, both gameplay and storywise, so it's best to just go with whatever for the first playthrough.

Yeah, it's kind of amazing how organic the story feels, even when you choose options almost at random.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Mina gets mad when you act in perfectly legitimate self-defense against people who are shooting at you, so I'd say gently caress her. Figuratively, of course.

As a stealth videogame protagonist, it is completely within your power to not kill the pixels shooting at you, especially when they're not terrorist pixels. Don't blame the fictional victims for your lack of restraint.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Syvere posted:

No because the point of the game is its reactive story

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Syvere posted:

That's what's so great about this game, no matter who you choose as your allies or enemies, you'll get an interesting playthrough and ending.

Though personally I recommend any course of action that involves as much of Steven Heck as possible.

That said, I guess if you want to be a violent lunatic, your friends are more likely to be Heck and SIE, while a stealthier, lower-death-count approach means that Mina and G22 will be more likely to favour you. But seriously, just do whatever feels right. Piss off or befriend whoever you want and see what happens. Unlike every other time in your life that you'll be told this, there is no wrong answer.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
I still can't believe the game lets you do this at the Rome chateau party.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/scorch/screenshot/540648201821806274/

Murderous psychopath Thorton strikes again.

worlds gayest baby
Jul 7, 2011

by angerbeet

Doc Hawkins posted:

As a stealth videogame protagonist, it is completely within your power to not kill the pixels shooting at you, especially when they're not terrorist pixels. Don't blame the fictional victims for your lack of restraint.

Like gently caress if I'm going to reload the last checkpoint just because some trigger happy cop decides to instantly start shooting at me. Rushing him would be suicide, and besides, such a reckless and irresponsible officer is a danger to the community anyway!

Don't hate me for taking a trigger happy psycho out of the good city of Taipei before he blasts some kids for stealing candy.

worlds gayest baby fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 18, 2011

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Like gently caress if I'm going to reload the last checkpoint just because some trigger happy cop decides to instantly start shooting at me. Rushing him would be suicide, and besides, such a reckless and irresponsible officer is a danger to the community anyway!

Don't blame me for taking a trigger happy psycho out of the good city of Taipei before he blasts some kids for stealing candy.

You have tranq bullets for the pistol and yes, you can just rush him and punch him to unconsciousness.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Don't blame me for taking a trigger happy psycho out of the good city of Taipei before he blasts some kids for stealing candy.

Sorry you're not used to your actions having consequences, dude.

worlds gayest baby
Jul 7, 2011

by angerbeet

Crappy Jack posted:

Sorry you're not used to your actions having consequences, dude.

Protip: I was just kidding.

It would have been nice to have a handler who didn't flip the gently caress out when I returned fire at someone, though.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?
Stabbing Rent-A-Cops is what good spies do.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Protip: I was just kidding.

It would have been nice to have a handler who didn't flip the gently caress out when I returned fire at someone, though.

If you're using pistols, then Tranquiliser bullets don't count as kills, even if you aim for a critical headshot. That's probably the only reason Mina still liked me by the end of the game, since my approach to stealth is more "leave nobody awake" than "let nobody know you were there".

Oh, and rather obviously, when sneaking up on someone, use the silent takedown instead of the utterly brutal knife kill.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Don't hate me for taking a trigger happy psycho out of the good city of Taipei before he blasts some kids for stealing candy.

Wellll, that's a good point, unless you were visibly armed and dressed like a paramilitary terrorist?

But it's not like the NSA and the US Marines are suddenly purely blameless organizations. The complete effective capture of Alpha Protocol by American business interests pissed some of my Thortons off quite mightily.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Huh, the end game sniper tower door is not bashable again. I have both EMPs and martial arts skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Soonmot posted:

Huh, the end game sniper tower door is not bashable again. I have both EMPs and martial arts skill.

Seriously, what is up with that?

To do it the easy way, just hide behind the rocks at the very furthest point from the tower and shoot where the target marker is.

• Locked thread