Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

ChuckDHead posted:

Seriously, what is up with that?

You can't break the door unless you have an even number of points with Darcy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You can't break the door unless you have an even number of points with Darcy

I had to do that twice, due to reloading the mission to save Mina. On one run I was able to break in, but on the next, I wasn't.

Oh, maybe it had to do with confronting Darcy on the test range when I did the "save Mina" route. I guess that might hurt my relationship with him.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Oh, I was stealth/ pistols, so I just Shadow Operatived and then chain shotted him in the face with steel core bullets. I'm just weirded out that the last two times I've played the bash option hasn't been there on that door.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Soonmot posted:

Oh, I was stealth/ pistols, so I just Shadow Operatived and then chain shotted him in the face with steel core bullets. I'm just weirded out that the last two times I've played the bash option hasn't been there on that door.

Ah right. Also good.

By the way, has anyone else found that tossing grenades and incendiaries at Darcy is a totally ineffective tactic since he doesn't seem to take damage from them and possibly seems to be able to throw them back or something? Or am I just somehow not aiming right every single time?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
The music in Taipei reminded me of Aeon Flux (the Peter Chung animation). Was that intentional or just a happy coincidence?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ChuckDHead posted:

Ah right. Also good.

By the way, has anyone else found that tossing grenades and incendiaries at Darcy is a totally ineffective tactic since he doesn't seem to take damage from them and possibly seems to be able to throw them back or something? Or am I just somehow not aiming right every single time?

No, I was never able to damage him like that on my tech run.

I realized that I made a mistake in my Judge, Jury, Executioner run so I ended up lighting a stogie at the end of the game. That was kind of cool.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

There's a perk for getting placed explosives to take out enemies; so how many of you ever took advantage of the fact that all grenades can be used as land mines? I still keep forgetting it.

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.
Just got done with the Taipei warehouse. The conversation and your reply with Albatross and the Sis dialogue option (if you killed her) was fantastic."Where's Sis? Ohhhhh, that's right. I killed her.". Fit so well with the gently caress everyone, kill them all with a shotgun Veteran run through I'm doing.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Vizrt posted:

Just got done with the Taipei warehouse. The conversation and your reply with Albatross and the Sis dialogue option (if you killed her) was fantastic."Where's Sis? Ohhhhh, that's right. I killed her.". Fit so well with the gently caress everyone, kill them all with a shotgun Veteran run through I'm doing.

There's even a variant of that for if you figured out the whole locket thing and had that conversation in Moscow. Mike gets up in Albatross' face about risking the life of a teenage girl instead of doing things himself.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Speedball posted:

There's a perk for getting placed explosives to take out enemies; so how many of you ever took advantage of the fact that all grenades can be used as land mines? I still keep forgetting it.
I do it all the time, even when I'm not on gadget-focused playthroughs. It's really easy to take advantage of when you know an ambush is about to happen, but it's usually pretty easy to get enemies to run right into them anyway.

I still don't think it's possible to get the perk/achievement for having 100 traps detonate without cheesing it, though.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Speedball posted:

I never did, because I was too busy sticking them to doors that enemies were about to open. Far too much fun.

I highly recommend (Rome) sticking incendiary grenades to the doors to the control room in the CIA listening post just before you sabotage the air conditioning. The resulting conversation with Mina is hilarious.

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

I know someone in the thread was looking for when Heck mentions angry bees. I just came across that conversation. It was after the hotel in Taipei during the conversation with him on the screen. It is the part where he explains how he names all the missions in Taipei.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I really want to get into this game, I know it's good but every time I start it I stop playing half way through the second mission. I really wish I didn't get the ps3 version too.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I really want to get into this game, I know it's good but every time I start it I stop playing half way through the second mission. I really wish I didn't get the ps3 version too.

Have you considered changing your tactics? Like, if the whole sneaky pistol thing isn't working for you, make an rear end in a top hat freelancer Thorton who solves all problems with shotgun.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
I am wrapping up my 4th playthrough, I have a couple hours left and I am gunning for Judge, Jury, & Executioner. I am thinking as a challenge for my next playthrough, putting zero points in either Stealth or Pistols. That includes no Awareness. I would go Vet so I would have plenty of other skill points but I don't know how it would work. It could imagine it being really not-fun but it's definitely doing something different.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Just got the SMG achievement. Surprisingly, the damage multiplier doesn't go up very high, but then again, perhaps it doesn't need to. Even a small spray can reduce a few people to hamburger.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Just played through Marburg's mansion a few minutes ago and finally got the helicopter to attack me at the end of the mission. It was a bit of a disappointment though as it just hovers above the gate and fires a couple of ineffective missiles that didn't come close to me.

The only thing different I did on this level from what I do normally is I didn't use the sniper rifle overlooking the gardens and as I'm playing a non-stealthy martial artist I alerted the guards in the garden at that point before circling around.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Crappy Jack posted:

Have you considered changing your tactics? Like, if the whole sneaky pistol thing isn't working for you, make an rear end in a top hat freelancer Thorton who solves all problems with shotgun.

Ha, that's exactly the way I was trying to play too, maybe I will try going the Jack Bauer season 8 route.

Afterbirth Aftermath
Aug 29, 2002

gohuskies posted:

I am wrapping up my 4th playthrough, I have a couple hours left and I am gunning for Judge, Jury, & Executioner. I am thinking as a challenge for my next playthrough, putting zero points in either Stealth or Pistols. That includes no Awareness. I would go Vet so I would have plenty of other skill points but I don't know how it would work. It could imagine it being really not-fun but it's definitely doing something different.

If you aren't going to get awareness I imagine it would not be fun to try and do anything stealthily. Maybe go for a terminator style, strictly professional with iron will and a straight-forward shotgun approach to everything.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Ha, that's exactly the way I was trying to play too, maybe I will try going the Jack Bauer season 8 route.

Keep in mind that stealth is a means towards killing/incapacitating enemies, not ghosting a level without being seen. I think a lot of people are getting hung up on this.

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Last mission in Rome, I could have sworn it was possible to kill Marburg during the last section. Thought I did what was necessary. If it is possible, could someone give me the details?

Also, coming back to the safehouse after the second to last Rome mission during my aggressive playthrough, Madison was kind enough to beat me over the head and electrocute me. Really enjoying this playthrough. Feels quite a bit different from the last two.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I feel that the game could have been better if you weren't pushed to specialize as hard or as far as you are. With recruit, for example, you can really only approach maxing three skills and the rest will be pretty lackluster or outright terrible. Maybe if the skill trees didn't go quite so high so you could spread things out (this would also help the problem of some of the ranks feeling like placeholders--oh boy I regen endurance a whole second faster!)

By the way, I'm not really clear on just what the numbers on guns really mean. Damage is obvious but "high stopping power" and "below average stopping power" in a weapon is usually a difference of 2 points out of 30. What exactly do recoil and stability mean in the game world?

edit: And has anyone else noticed that, for all their vaunted rivalry, Mike always keeps Darcy's picture next to his bed?

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Vizrt posted:

Last mission in Rome, I could have sworn it was possible to kill Marburg during the last section. Thought I did what was necessary. If it is possible, could someone give me the details?

Also, coming back to the safehouse after the second to last Rome mission during my aggressive playthrough, Madison was kind enough to beat me over the head and electrocute me. Really enjoying this playthrough. Feels quite a bit different from the last two.

To kill Marburg in Rome, you have to piss him off enough to provoke him, and to do that you need to be a smug little bastard (Take the suave dialogue option as often as possible). If he's angry enough he'll try to fight you to the death instead of leaving once his job is done.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Category Fun! posted:

To kill Marburg in Rome, you have to piss him off enough to provoke him, and to do that you need to be a smug little bastard (Take the suave dialogue option as often as possible). If he's angry enough he'll try to fight you to the death instead of leaving once his job is done.
To expand on that you have to have a reputation as a suave rear end in a top hat to really piss him off. You can't just use the options on Marburg when you've been professional or aggressive to everyone else, or he'll realize you're just trying to get under his skin. That means the majority of your choices up to that point have to be suave. You'll know you're on the right track if he comments that you prefer talk over action in the first meeting with him.

Having his completed dossier helps too, but I don't think it's mandatory.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Lotish posted:

I feel that the game could have been better if you weren't pushed to specialize as hard or as far as you are. With recruit, for example, you can really only approach maxing three skills and the rest will be pretty lackluster or outright terrible. Maybe if the skill trees didn't go quite so high so you could spread things out (this would also help the problem of some of the ranks feeling like placeholders--oh boy I regen endurance a whole second faster!)

By the way, I'm not really clear on just what the numbers on guns really mean. Damage is obvious but "high stopping power" and "below average stopping power" in a weapon is usually a difference of 2 points out of 30. What exactly do recoil and stability mean in the game world?

edit: And has anyone else noticed that, for all their vaunted rivalry, Mike always keeps Darcy's picture next to his bed?

Recruit is a special situation, but with a normal or veteran playthrough, maxing one, two or all three of your tagged skills as well as whatever non tagged skills you wish isn't that big a deal. Especially on veteran.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Lotish posted:

I'm pretty sure accuracy determines how accurate you are when standing still, recoil is how big your cone grows when you start firing, and stability is how big your cone grows when you're moving.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Soonmot posted:

Keep in mind that stealth is a means towards killing/incapacitating enemies, not ghosting a level without being seen. I think a lot of people are getting hung up on this.

Yeah I'm not really good at ghosting through, I was so terrible at splinter cell back in the day. my problem is I just suck at being hidden and killing dudes from the shadows, and my aim on those ps3 sticks plus those abysmal triggers aren't helping in the least.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Lotish posted:

I believe recoil determines how much your reticule widens when you fires your gun, while stability is how much it widens when it moves.

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Hannibal Smith posted:

To expand on that you have to have a reputation as a suave rear end in a top hat to really piss him off. You can't just use the options on Marburg when you've been professional or aggressive to everyone else, or he'll realize you're just trying to get under his skin. That means the majority of your choices up to that point have to be suave. You'll know you're on the right track if he comments that you prefer talk over action in the first meeting with him.

Ah, that kind of sucks, was looking forward to that on this run. I've been doing a mostly Aggressive run so I guess it is out of the question even if I did have an earlier save. Might give it a go if it doesn't clash with the other goal I had in mind for my next run.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Vizrt posted:

Ah, that kind of sucks, was looking forward to that on this run. I've been doing a mostly Aggressive run so I guess it is out of the question even if I did have an earlier save. Might give it a go if it doesn't clash with the other goal I had in mind for my next run.

Stick with it. You can still get him in an awesome way if you have a lot of dossiers.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
Massive endgame spoilers!

Scarlet, darlin', you're killing me here. Metaphorically speaking, of course. Literally speaking, you've just raised the number of fuckers who Thorton's killing to three.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Hannibal Smith posted:

Thanks for this. I had his full dossier and that actually gains points with him, knowing his history. But I was professional with everyone else and suave with him and that didnt work unfortunately, so now I know.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

the_american_dream posted:

Thanks for this. I had his full dossier and that actually gains points with him, knowing his history. But I was professional with everyone else and suave with him and that didnt work unfortunately, so now I know.

To be exact you need to get the suave perk in the Greybox.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Hank Morgan posted:

To be exact you need to get the suave perk in the Greybox.

I keep hearing this, but I really doubt it's true. Obsidian doesn't seem like the type to make a bunch of stuff dependant on a choice you make at the very beginning of the game. I think it's more about what dialogue choices you pick over the course of the game, rather than the very first couple ones.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

I keep hearing this, but I really doubt it's true. Obsidian doesn't seem like the type to make a bunch of stuff dependant on a choice you make at the very beginning of the game. I think it's more about what dialogue choices you pick over the course of the game, rather than the very first couple ones.

I'm basing it off what other people have theorised in this and the last thread. Anytime I got it to happen I also had the suave perk including a gimmicky run-through where I just cycled the dialogue choices in a circle and tossed a coin on the binary choices.
It is possible of course that there is a hidden personality variable that factors into this though.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Hank Morgan posted:

I'm basing it off what other people have theorised in this and the last thread. Anytime I got it to happen I also had the suave perk including a gimmicky run-through where I just cycled the dialogue choices in a circle and tossed a coin on the binary choices.
It is possible of course that there is a hidden personality variable that factors into this though.

It's not really hidden, people will bring it up pretty often. Picking more professional options will result in people calling Mike a patriot, suave will get him called a cowboy, aggressive a loose cannon. The game definitely takes stock of which stances you use over the course of the game, and you build a reputation based on that.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

Picking more professional options will result in people calling Mike a patriot, suave will get him called a cowboy, aggressive a loose cannon. The game definitely takes stock of which stances you use over the course of the game, and you build a reputation based on that.

I love this game.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Ze Pollack posted:

Massive endgame spoilers!

Scarlet, darlin', you're killing me here. Metaphorically speaking, of course. Literally speaking, you've just raised the number of fuckers who Thorton's killing to three.

Wait.. tell me how you make this happen.

Colinrobinson
Apr 10, 2005

Yeah I'm not positive what my deal is either, so I just sort of keep on truckin'
So I just finished my first playthrough at 16 hours -- didn't skip any missions, but I know I missed out on a lot of the alternate sides of missions. I played as an ultra-professional/Jason Bourne type, ending sparing every major character except Leland after watching him try to hire Scarlet to take me out right then and there... Thanks Heck!

Sad note, I let (Rome and endgame spoilers) Madison die in Rome, as I was definitely going for Big Picture type wins (also usually why most big characters didn't get killed), hoping that I could count on Parker to take out Marburg for his transgressions. But this didn't work.. I had Madison's secret fact, I told Parker about her death, he got angry, confronted Marburg in the endgame with a gun, but Marburg still stabbed Parker in the neck and I had to fight Marburg anyway. What gives?

I know that I didn't have Parker's completed dossier, but he TRIED to kill Marburg and just failed.

Unrelated note: I want to play a psychopathic shotgun/smg ubermensch-Heckalike in my next run through, so I'm wanting to edit the amount of AP each level gives you. I can't get either DefaultLevelChart.ini or APLevelChart.ini to actually make a difference towards what AP I get at the beginning of the game. Is the steam version protected from such tampering or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

IanCaw posted:

Unrelated note: I want to play a psychopathic shotgun/smg ubermensch-Heckalike in my next run through, so I'm wanting to edit the amount of AP each level gives you. I can't get either DefaultLevelChart.ini or APLevelChart.ini to actually make a difference towards what AP I get at the beginning of the game. Is the steam version protected from such tampering or something?

If you do this, prepare for minigames to be unplayable. Difficulty scales in proportion to how many AP you have.

• Locked thread