Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mrchina
Sep 8, 2004
Have a Thunderbolt, and pay the $30 for unlimited tethering feature... funny thing is the stock application keeps kicking me off the network (no 4g here, turned off 4G services to keep 3g only) but just rooted my phone, installed the android tether app and it works great!

So ironic.

mrchina fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Kyrosiris posted:

They already did.

Yes and no. I had one, and with the standard battery I could pull a 10am to 8pm no issue. With the extended battery, I could pull a 10am to 3am with no issue.

For stupid battery life in a smart phone for Verizon, if battery life is your primary concern, look at the Blackberry 9650. 36 hours, no issue.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Haven't pretty much all Blackberry's been really good with battery life though?

Speaking of extended battery, anyone know of a sure-fire extended battery for the Thunderbolt? I'm not really having a lot of battery issues anymore after rooting but my area just got 4G and everything I'm reading points to dead battery in like 6 hours. Not interested in dealing with that.

edit:
http://www.amazon.com/Extended-Battery-HTC-Thunderbolt-Black/dp/B004TEYPMM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311027791&sr=8-1

Is that a worthwhile upgrade?

nickhimself fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 18, 2011

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki
Just an FYI-

I just did an assumption of liability last week, and my unlimited data transferred. They had to run it through a different department to get it turned off and then back on again, but as of today I have it again.

Results may vary, but you CAN keep your unlimited data apparently when putting a contract in your own name.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Professorbx posted:

Yes and no. I had one, and with the standard battery I could pull a 10am to 8pm no issue. With the extended battery, I could pull a 10am to 3am with no issue.

And that's not enough for some people? :psyduck:

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Bleh Maestro posted:

That sucks man. And, I completely agree, in that I think Verizon is making GBS threads on their own face. I completely bought into the hype of 4G at first, and got myself a thunderbolt. I'll be honest, I love android, and I love the 4G speeds (they are excellent) but neither of those was worth keeping that brick of a phone. I am now on an iphone, and couldn't be happier. Until they release a phone that can last a full day with normal usage on 4G, or even 3G for that matter, I'm sticking with the iphone. With the Thunderbolt there were a few times in the month I owned it where I would forget to make sure it was 100% before I went and did some half-day outdoor activity, and the phone would loving die if I didn't put it in airplane mode. Even 3G only I was getting about a half day on it. If I had gotten into an emergency situation, guess what, I wouldn't have a working phone. Not cool.

I'm quite pissed off, because now it's nearly August and they still don't have a phone worth a second look. Not only are they skimping on batteries, they are skimping on screens as well. Bionic is going to be 4.5 loving inches. They keep increasing the screen size, while the screen quality is staying the same or worse. I don't give a poo poo how big the screen is if I can see the pixels plain as day.

Lets not go crazy here, almost any 3G phone on Verizon is going to make it through a day. And the Bionic is not a 4.5" phone, it is 4.3". I'd rather have a 4 or 4.3" phone with SAMOLED+ or qHD then a 3.5 tiny thing with an abstract high resolution. Text is gorgeous on these screens - the iPhone's pixel density is overkill at the cost of screen size. If you can get both, you obviously take it, but the user experience is SO much better at a bigger size. Hell, I would have considered staying with an iOS platform if they were at least 4".

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Cozmosis posted:

Lets not go crazy here, almost any 3G phone on Verizon is going to make it through a day. And the Bionic is not a 4.5" phone, it is 4.3". I'd rather have a 4 or 4.3" phone with SAMOLED+ or qHD then a 3.5 tiny thing with an abstract high resolution. Text is gorgeous on these screens - the iPhone's pixel density is overkill at the cost of screen size. If you can get both, you obviously take it, but the user experience is SO much better at a bigger size. Hell, I would have considered staying with an iOS platform if they were at least 4".

My buddy just picked up an iPhone (same guy that had all the trouble with the Incredible) and it just looks so tiny. Even compared to his Inc it seems like he is always pecking and squinting. I don't think I could go any smaller than 4 inches at this point.

That being said 4.5 sounds like the perfect size for me.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cozmosis posted:

And the Bionic is not a 4.5" phone, it is 4.3".

I thought the original version shown at CES was 4.3, but when they overhauled it they made it 4.5?

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

doctor thodt posted:

I thought the original version shown at CES was 4.3, but when they overhauled it they made it 4.5?

This is correct.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/07/new-and-improved-droid-bionic-getting-a-4-5-inch-display-and-doc/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The 4.5 inch rumor came about because people thought the picture was next to the atrix rather than the defy like it was. Current info is pointing at it being 4.3 inch.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Why is a phone supposedly due out within a month such a mystery? It's worrying that the development has been changed so much none of the leaks are agreeing.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Why is a phone supposedly due out within a month such a mystery? It's worrying that the development has been changed so much none of the leaks are agreeing.

Because otherwise Apple sues you before you can get it out into the market.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Kyrosiris posted:

And that's not enough for some people? :psyduck:

It would be, but I carry a Tmo Blackberry 9700 with me as well for work. I get 4 DAYS out of that without breaking a sweat, and I've pulled a full week a couple times. This includes some talk, text, a flood of hundreds of emails a day (work and the separate Gmail app), document editing and the occasional game. I charge it when I remember to, without having to look down at the battery meter and wonder if I will make it or without having to change any habits. Having the two side by side (or now, my iPhone) makes me realize how low our standards are. My 9700 isn't a "fun" phone, but it is nice knowing that, at any given point, I can trust it to do whatever I need to without thinking about what I will need the battery for the rest of the day.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

AppleCobbler posted:

Because otherwise Apple sues you before you can get it out into the market.

Sadly this makes sense :smith:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Professorbx posted:

It would be, but I carry a Tmo Blackberry 9700 with me as well for work. I get 4 DAYS out of that without breaking a sweat, and I've pulled a full week a couple times. This includes some talk, text, a flood of hundreds of emails a day (work and the separate Gmail app), document editing and the occasional game. I charge it when I remember to, without having to look down at the battery meter and wonder if I will make it or without having to change any habits. Having the two side by side (or now, my iPhone) makes me realize how low our standards are. My 9700 isn't a "fun" phone, but it is nice knowing that, at any given point, I can trust it to do whatever I need to without thinking about what I will need the battery for the rest of the day.

Right, but our standards are "low" because the rate at which technology improves is ridiculously faster than the rate at which battery life/technology has improved, and really there's nothing you can do about that.

Stating that a device with a 2.5" screen and a 650MHz CPU gets several days of life is pointless when you're trying to stack it up against something significantly more powerful.

If my device lasts the day for me (roughly 10 AM to midnight), then that's good enough!

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Kyrosiris posted:

Right, but our standards are "low" because the rate at which technology improves is ridiculously faster than the rate at which battery life/technology has improved, and really there's nothing you can do about that.

Stating that a device with a 2.5" screen and a 650MHz CPU gets several days of life is pointless when you're trying to stack it up against something significantly more powerful.

If my device lasts the day for me (roughly 10 AM to midnight), then that's good enough!

It isn't pointless though when you look at use case. With Blackberry OS6, I have a full webkit browser. I have push email. I have Microsoft Office editing. I have a GPS. I have cloud services for files and notes. The only things I'm missing are the music making and CAD software that my iPhone has. If I had to choose, would I choose the iPhone? Yes. That said, acting like the battery life drop is justified is just absurd. poo poo, the reason RIM gets better battery life from its GSM products over its CDMA is that they actually know how to write a proper baseband for GSM (they use Qualcomm baseband software for their CDMA phones, and it does mean a pretty big drop). If companies spent more time on their battery and antenna management instead of just using a battery as a big bandaid, we wouldn't be having this complaint in the first place.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Kyrosiris posted:

I disagree. Clock-for-clock, 1 GHz Snapdragons and Hummingbirds aren't inherently more power hungry than older ARM cores. If anything, they should consume less power having been built with smaller processes. Yes they'll consume more power at full-tilt, but not when running at 100 MHz "idle" clockspeed.

A 4.0" WVGA screen will consume more power than a 2.5" HVGA, but that doesn't explain a near order-of-magnitude decrease in battery life (much of which is standby time).

Let's be honest, BlackBerries have good battery life because they optimize for and prioritize it. While Android does make at least token efforts to optimize for battery life, it's not all the way there. At least in part because it's a software stack developed by multiple parties (Google and OEMs) where efficiency is not exploited to its fullest.

That said, OS standby power efficiency doesn't really matter much if you spend a significant portion of the battery life with an active display, decoding video, or playing games. So the fact that Android and iOS have inferior standby time might be moot to their target market. But BlackBerry folks are right to bitch about the state of battery efficiency in new fangled devices--it could be a good deal better than it actually is.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver
Any good recommendations for a case for the thunderbolt. Nothing bulky. I dropped it yesterday on concrete stairs when I tripped, and winged the corner. Now I'm looking for a case.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
My OG droid is on its very last of legs, I'll miss you phone!

Now comes the joy of picking up a new phone, not overly happy that the best choices are all phones I don't particularly want, nor are they available yet, Bionic (a bit too big and full of stuff I don't want or need) or "Function" (I know, Samsung, but I'd root it).

Argh.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Bionic is SO 5 minutes ago.

Now it's time to start lusting after the Dinara.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/07/19/motorola-dinara-to-follow-the-droid-bionic-may-be-one-of-the-first-android-super-phones/

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Flyboy925 posted:

Any good recommendations for a case for the thunderbolt. Nothing bulky. I dropped it yesterday on concrete stairs when I tripped, and winged the corner. Now I'm looking for a case.

I've used Seidio cases on my past 3 phones and I'll swear by them.

This is what I'm using now, except it's blue.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

bull3964 posted:

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/07/19/motorola-dinara-to-follow-the-droid-bionic-may-be-one-of-the-first-android-super-phones/

Time to wrap the droid in bubble wrap and find a religion that works well for keeping cell phones running.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

bull3964 posted:

HD screen is interesting but I have a feeling it's going to be pentile-mumble so perhaps not a huge quality improvement over RGB qHD.

Internal battery? I don't know if I trust their watchdog enough, especially if the thing ends up with an unlocked bootloader. Sometimes you just have to battery pull.

Also, I'm generally skeptical of any Q4 2011 device that's not running ICS. It could be the best hardware in the world, but once ICS hits, that's what folks are going to want.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I would imagine any device that's going to be running ICS is running gingerbread at this point in the dev process as I don't believe google has given anyone access to ICS yet.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Internal battery? I don't know if I trust their watchdog enough, especially if the thing ends up with an unlocked bootloader. Sometimes you just have to battery pull.

In all honesty, I've never had to do a battery pull on my OG Droid.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 19, 2011

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Haha, 13 megapixel camera. Did I say 13? Heck, I'll make it 15!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Haha, 13 megapixel camera. Did I say 13? Heck, I'll make it 15!

You laugh, but there are already 13mp phone camera sensors on the market.

Qualcomm's development android phone has a 13mp sensor in it for example.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Droid Life posted:

...and an internal/non-removable battery.

Why did they do this? :doh:

bull3964 posted:

In all honesty, I've never had to do a battery pull on my OG Droid.

I think it's still overall bad for the customer. What real benefits does it bring? I don't carry extra batteries, but some people like the option to be able to do that maybe over long trips or not having access to a charger for a period of time.

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 19, 2011

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yes, I laugh.

Because it's laughable.

Hey, our phone camera is lovely, because it's a phone camera.
Know what we need? More Megapixels!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

yamdankee posted:

I think it's still overall bad for the customer. What real benefits does it bring?
I'd guess they can make the device marginally smaller since there's no need for a battery door and proper battery slot.

Although personally, I'd rather take the 1 mm hit and have a removable battery.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

mrchina posted:

Have a Thunderbolt, and pay the $30 for unlimited tethering feature... funny thing is the stock application keeps kicking me off the network (no 4g here, turned off 4G services to keep 3g only) but just rooted my phone, installed the android tether app and it works great!

So ironic.

So, if I continue to pay for the unlimited hotspot feature but use the rooted android tether app, what's going to happen to me when I consume a lot of data?

I thought they capped tethering to 5gb, even a few years ago? They tried to sell me a tethering plan on my Touch Pro2 and even though data used on the phone was unlimited, I was told 5gb was the cap for tethering. Again, this was like 2009.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

bull3964 posted:

No keyboard? Non-removable battery? gently caress that noise.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'd guess they can make the device marginally smaller since there's no need for a battery door and proper battery slot.

Although personally, I'd rather take the 1 mm hit and have a removable battery.

Well, it's not just that it's marginally smaller, they they have more freedom for the packing of internal components by eliminating everything that makes a battery removable.

I stopped being worried about non-removable batteries a long time ago. Chances are if they went that route, there would be some kind of interrupt reset built into the device anyway like my Xoom. Pressing and holding the power and the volume up button forces the thing to reset no matter how frozen the OS happens to be.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
I know this isn't "the point" of a smart phone, but from about 9:30am to now I've not been on a charger and turned data off. my phone's at 85% with moderate texting, having data on for a few minutes, and periodic time checking.

So obviously all of this issue is coming from data draining the battery even when the phone isn't in use.

It seems like a really easy solution to me: If nothing is actively using data, turn that poo poo off.

Is this incorrect as a way of thinking, or would it really be that easy for them to fix a fair number of battery issues by doing something like this?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kyrosiris posted:

No keyboard? Non-removable battery? gently caress that noise.

Is there any chance that the Samsung QWERTY device mentioned earlier will wind up being Verizon's SGSII, or is that just wishful thinking?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

doctor thodt posted:

Is there any chance that the Samsung QWERTY device mentioned earlier will wind up being Verizon's SGSII, or is that just wishful thinking?

Considering it's been revealed as a 1GHz/512 RAM/low-res screen piece of junk, probably not.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
nickhimself, for some people that would work. That's why JuiceDefender is so popular. Some people though, myself included, make full use of and kind of depend on getting emails/texts/calls as soon as they are sent to me and I need to respond right away. That's probably why the methods JuiceDefender uses to conserve battery life wouldn't be good for a widespread, out of the box, implementation.

edit: I've spent at least 1.5 hours on the phone, plus emails and texts. Unplugged since 7am and I'm at 80%, rooted Droid X. So, among all of us, our mileage varies.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Kyrosiris posted:

Considering it's been revealed as a 1GHz/512 RAM/low-res screen piece of junk, probably not.
It's believed that the screen is a SAMOLED+ WVGA, which makes it the same as that on the SGSII (and Droid Charge) save for physical size.

Otherwise, no, it's not Verizon's SGSII device. It's pretty much a Droid Charge with a (questionably-responsive) hardware keyboard.

Which makes it Verizon's best LTE hardware keyboard device. :v:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

JayKay posted:

I've used Seidio cases on my past 3 phones and I'll swear by them.

This is what I'm using now, except it's blue.

I'm using this same case on my Thunderbolt, no holster though.

Usually I get fed up with phone cases after a week and just go naked with it, but I'm still really happy with this one. It does create a bit of bulk that makes it tough getting in and out of my pocket if I'm wearing jeans, but otherwise it seems good.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I ended up getting a non-smart phone, a Samsung Intensity II. Not bad so far.

Does Verizon's "Social Beat" app for non-smart phones continually suck up bandwidth and battery in the background, even after you exit it?

I ask because I just got a crappy data plan, since I only intend to use it sparingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy

Kyrosiris posted:

I have so much hate for Verizon right now. My original Droid is on its last legs, and I'm due for an upgrade. BUT. I can't stand the Pentile screen for the Droid 3 screen, this unreleased Samsung phone is last year's Sprint phone with an LTE tacked on, and my other option for a keyboard with Android is to go back to a Droid 2.

"Decent screen," "current specs" and "physical keyboard" should not be this unbelievably difficult laundry list of requirements.

The worst thing is that T-Mobile has all kinds of keyboard phones, some of them even rocking 768 MB of RAM, which is a nice bit of future-proofing that I'd appreciate as someone with a Droid suffering from that 256-to-512 gap right now.

So my options are (1) pay an assload of money to break contract and jump ship to T-Mobile -- which has lovely coverage in the rural areas where my extended family lives, but at least has phones I want -- and lose my unlimited data in the process; (2) suck it up and get a phone I hate with Verizon and deal for the next two years without either a decent screen or a keyboard; (3) buy an unlocked phone, again, assload of money, and I feel like that rewards Verizon for not offering decent phones -- why should they bother, people will spring for their own; (4) loving wait and see if Verizon might bother getting more phones in the future and hope my Droid doesn't die in the meantime.

I had all my hopes pinned to the Droid 3, until that whole Pentile poo poo. And now the Samsung one is out. I'm tempted to pay all the money to switch just because I feel like punishing Verizon for not having better phone offerings, which is stupid and spiteful, yes, but how else are they going to realize or care that people are upset?

Wait, that's a stupid question; they're not going to realize or care anyway.

• Locked thread