Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colinrobinson
Apr 10, 2005

Yeah I'm not positive what my deal is either, so I just sort of keep on truckin'

Soonmot posted:

IanCaw posted:

Unrelated note: I want to play a psychopathic shotgun/smg ubermensch-Heckalike in my next run through, so I'm wanting to edit the amount of AP each level gives you. I can't get either DefaultLevelChart.ini or APLevelChart.ini to actually make a difference towards what AP I get at the beginning of the game. Is the steam version protected from such tampering or something?

If you do this, prepare for minigames to be unplayable. Difficulty scales in proportion to how many AP you have.

Yeah I'm debating not putting many points into sabotage for just this reason. Having just one level in it for my first play through made all minigames until halfway through the endgame mission completely easy(..on easy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

drat, being mean and distrustful of Madison makes Thorton into a mean sonofabitch.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Soonmot posted:

Yeah I'm debating not putting many points into sabotage for just this reason. Having just one level in it for my first play through made all minigames until halfway through the endgame mission completely easy(..on easy).

:psyduck: Spending points at all makes minigames harder. Spending points in sabotage makes them easier. Having huge amounts of AP and spending them on everything but sabotage will make them as hard as possible, within the constraints of the difficulty level.

In any case, you really don't need to edit the level chart to become an unstoppable god; playing on Veteran will give you more AP that you will ever need without causing the difficulty scaler to go insane and try to kill you.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

IanCaw posted:

I know that I didn't have Parker's completed dossier, but he TRIED to kill Marburg and just failed.

That is always what happens when you do what you did. Look at the two characters in question and tell me how it could play out any differently.

If it's any consolation, doing this does wound Marburg before you fight him. Not that you usually need any help, but I find that moment of "But who could have...Thorton! :argh:" super-satisfying.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

That is always what happens when you do what you did. Look at the two characters in question and tell me how it could play out any differently.

If it's any consolation, doing this does wound Marburg before you fight him. Not that you usually need any help, but I find that moment of "But who could have...Thorton! :argh:" super-satisfying.

I just wish there was a better way to rub it in Parker's face a bit more. "The acceptable losses aren't so acceptable when one of them is your daughter, are they?"

But really, turning the two against each other (whichever way you do it) is pure karmic backlash and it's great.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
Just finished my first playthrough as a smug, suave son of a bitch. One question before I start another - does Thorton's general attitude and demeanor change based on your usual responses? Thorton seemed to joke around and have a flippant attitude even when I wasn't choosing those types of responses, so I was wondering if that was something that would change if I took a more professional or aggressive approach, or if he is just that way no matter what.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

doctor iono posted:

Just finished my first playthrough as a smug, suave son of a bitch. One question before I start another - does Thorton's general attitude and demeanor change based on your usual responses? Thorton seemed to joke around and have a flippant attitude even when I wasn't choosing those types of responses, so I was wondering if that was something that would change if I took a more professional or aggressive approach, or if he is just that way no matter what.

Sometimes he does snark a bit when you don't control him, but there are also a couple of times where his default response to something is based on your general stance throughout the game so far. I think "snarky" is probably his default personality.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
I just finished a recruit play through of the game to unlock veteran mode on a fresh install and I think I figured out which file unlocks it. In your [Documents]/Alpha Protocol/Profile folder there should be a file called ProfileOptions.dat. By comparing the file before and after finishing the game there is a single byte change in the file. In my version it is address 000000400 and it's value changes from 00 to 03 as highlighted below.

I've also uploaded my version of the file if anyone wants to take it and use it to try and possibly unlock veteran straight away. Although I'd still recommend you do it the proper way by beating recruit.

http://www.mediafire.com/?vtendwt3h5hodyh

Hank Morgan fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 19, 2011

Colinrobinson
Apr 10, 2005

Yeah I'm not positive what my deal is either, so I just sort of keep on truckin'

Doc Hawkins posted:

I agree with your point, considering analyst vs hardened field guy, but the discussion here has always seemed to indicate that it is totally possible to have the opposite outcome. Maybe I read too much into the redacted spoilers everywhere.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

gohuskies posted:

I am thinking as a challenge for my next playthrough, putting zero points in either Stealth or Pistols. That includes no Awareness. I would go Vet so I would have plenty of other skill points but I don't know how it would work. It could imagine it being really not-fun but it's definitely doing something different.

It's not bad at all, really. I just did a Recruit run with nothing but Assault Rifle, Martial Arts, and Toughness. And one point in Sabotage so I could use EMPs on hackable computers. Assault rifles are really good if you want a run and gun kind of game, and flying knee from Martial Arts is just hilarious on anyone who gets too close to you.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
Hahaha, I love playing as a recruit already.

Mina: *some joke about Darcy and Thorton getting in a cage match over her*
Thorton: "We have to do a cage match? :ohdear:"

How heavy is veteran on extra dialogue? I've heard there's not much for recruits after orientation.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

doctor iono posted:

How heavy is veteran on extra dialogue? I've heard there's not much for recruits after orientation.

It's gives you about the same amount of chooses in training but it also changes a few choices and snippets of npc dialogue in the rest of the game.

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.

doctor iono posted:

There's a bit more Veteran dialogue options than Recruit. Also, some situations Mike handles differently on Veteran. There's at least one very distinct decision that I can recall off the top of my head.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
The first time Mike and Darcy meet, Veteran Mike says exactly what I want him to say.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Veteran throws in some hilarious flavor lines from Mike, too. Mike in the crypt and possibly "A lot of fuckin' stairs", but I'm not sure if that's specific to Vet.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
I think one of the devs here mentioned Veteran was kind of the developer's cut version of the game, so some stuff that was a little too weird or 4th wall breaking was thrown into there.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Game's five bucks on GamersGate, so now would be the absolute best time to try to convert friends and family.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-ALP/alpha-protocol

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Holy Calamity! posted:

Veteran throws in some hilarious flavor lines from Mike, too. Mike in the crypt and possibly "A lot of fuckin' stairs", but I'm not sure if that's specific to Vet.

The only thing specific to Vet is that face on his PDA at the start.

Though on one playthrough I think I remember Mike humming his own theme music in the crypt.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Crap, I think I screwed up my "Judge, Jury, Executioner" run. Shot Brakyo, didn't get the opportunity to hunt down and shoot Surkov too; think I skipped past the part where Brakyo lets you know Surkov set you up. Oh well. I'm still enjoying the hell out of this game.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Speedball posted:

Crap, I think I screwed up my "Judge, Jury, Executioner" run. Shot Brakyo, didn't get the opportunity to hunt down and shoot Surkov too; think I skipped past the part where Brakyo lets you know Surkov set you up. Oh well. I'm still enjoying the hell out of this game.

Yeah, you kinda blew it there. I did the same thing. Feel free to vary up your next rear end in a top hat run. I recommend doing it the first time as a cocky shotgun rear end in a top hat, and then after that, a professional stealth pistol smoothtalking psycho killer.

Gyrolion
May 25, 2007

Luisfe posted:

Game's five bucks on GamersGate, so now would be the absolute best time to try to convert friends and family.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-ALP/alpha-protocol

O god! I spend my well earned money on this game!
Now lets hope it is any good, a well I will see in a few hours.

gently caress me, I downloaded it from there, then when it was done downloading it started installing, all fine.
Then it came to the launcher, and install was still running in the background. So I was like, I dont wanna play it just yet. So closed the launcher and let the install finish.
So okay all done, now I wanted to start te game nothing happens. Tried all the shortcuts.. so I'm like lets reinstall it.. the downloader dont want to start up either.. what the gently caress is going on.. :(.

Gyrolion fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jul 20, 2011

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Holy Calamity! posted:

He says "A lot of fuckin' stairs" in every play through

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
Other than the mini games, is this game dramatically better on either Keyboard or 360 controller? I have both, but I generally prefer keyboard.

Also, is hard ridiculously hard or playable on a first play through?

Valen
Oct 1, 2009

TotallyGreen posted:

Other than the mini games, is this game dramatically better on either Keyboard or 360 controller? I have both, but I generally prefer keyboard.

I played through it with a keyboard/mouse and it was fine. The ini file fixes in the OP helped the hacking minigame a lot, though by the end I was just EMPing computers and keycards since they are a pain in the rear end at higher difficulty levels. Lockpicking was never too difficult with a mouse though.

edit:
I played on Normal as a Rookie and didn't have any problems until the Brayko fight. The camera would hitch and stutter and on each transition between phases if I were running, Mike would stop and would often get two-shot by that rear end in a top hat. There's also one fight at the end that was frustratingly difficult for similar reasons. Jankyness and glitches in the controls were the hard part, not the fights themselves. You can straight up break the game by the end of the first tutorial hub even as a rookie if you spend your points right. It's not difficult at all.

Valen fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 20, 2011

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

TotallyGreen posted:

I've heard the 360 controller makes the mini games easier and helps with the camera issues on the PC version. I've never verified it myself because I have the xbox version.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

How does the lockpicking minigame work with mouse and keyboard? On the 360, you press down on the analog left trigger and then press the right trigger to set the pin. Pressing a keyboard button and dragging the mouse don't seem like reasonable analogues for that sort of action.

Lockpicking is also the worst loving minigame, half because of the brutally unforgiving precision required and half because failing it usually means an alarm goes off.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

404notfound posted:

How does the lockpicking minigame work with mouse and keyboard? On the 360, you press down on the analog left trigger and then press the right trigger to set the pin. Pressing a keyboard button and dragging the mouse don't seem like reasonable analogues for that sort of action.

Lockpicking is also the worst loving minigame, half because of the brutally unforgiving precision required and half because failing it usually means an alarm goes off.

e: Whoops! I misread "lockpicking" as "hacking" because I'm dumb

Category Fun! fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 21, 2011

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

404notfound posted:

It's extremely simple on the PC with the mouse which sort of makes up for the hacking game being pretty miserable.

You just have to drag the mouse up or down to correctly align the pins, then hit LMB.

etalian fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 21, 2011

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
It's still kind of :barf: because the game doesn't sync the mouse speed and the lockpick move speed, merely treat the mouse like an analog stick.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

404notfound posted:

I found it ridiculously easy with a mouse, the only time I hosed it up was when I accidently hit "EXIT" when clicking to lock the bars in place which sets off alarms for some reason.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

THE PWNER posted:

I found it ridiculously easy with a mouse, the only time I hosed it up was when I accidently hit "EXIT" when clicking to lock the bars in place which sets off alarms for some reason.

Yeah mouse is sensative enough that it is very easy to do even the hardest locks before the timer even comes close to running out. The one baffling point is that the target point and what feels like it should be the target point are not quite the same thing, but the pin highlights when aligned so it's not hard.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

TotallyGreen posted:

I just finished a veteran stealth/pistols run on Hard. I've played this game almost a dozen times and all hard mode does is magnify the game's shortcomings. Normal difficulty is the sweet spot.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Will I find recruit hard as my second play through?

I did my first as normal difficulty and a field agent and there were really only two or three parts that I found hard.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Red_Fred posted:

I did my first as normal difficulty and a field agent and there were really only two or three parts that I found hard.

Not in the slighest, especially if you've already had a playthrough to get used to the mechanics. Just don't play it on Hard mode, and you'll be fine.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Red_Fred posted:

Honestly, if you're not going after an achievement, I don't see any reason to play this on anything other than Easy. If you're pistol sniping, headshots are still a 1 hit kill if you crit, and bad guys still spot you the same. The biggest difference I saw was the hacking minigames, and those are easy enough to get around anyways. Easy just lets you play the story, which is the draw of the game anyways.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Yeah, hard is pretty much strictly achievement-only. Not only are the minigames impossible, but unless you invest heavily in your pistols and parts for them, you're going to find yourself pulling undetected critical headshots that don't kill people. In other words, you're up against enemies who can straight up survive a bullet to the head and immediately alert their friends.

Valen
Oct 1, 2009

THE PWNER posted:

I did this too. Even the highest level lockpicks are a joke with a mouse, it was kind of nice since I needed all of my EMPs for computers and key cards.

Red_Fred posted:

I did my first run on Normal as a Recruit. The only problems I had were with janky controls. By the end of the first hub I had more then enough points to break the games combat and make everything a joke, and it only got more hilariously broken from there.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
Is the main menu supposed to make grunting noises?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Haledjian posted:

Is the main menu supposed to make grunting noises?

I dunno, this just made me laugh out loud. There's just something about imagining just some dude grunting manly-ily whenever you move the highlight.

v Well to answer your question seriously: no. No, it really isn't supposed to do that.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

The White Dragon posted:

I dunno, this just made me laugh out loud. There's just something about imagining just some dude grunting manly-ily whenever you move the highlight.
That's exactly what it's doing. :smith:

Actually it's more of a getting-punched grunt than a manly grunt.

• Locked thread