Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Can someone direct to the the Trails of Sky thread or to a post that explains why this game is worthwhile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Honest Thief posted:

Can someone direct to the the Trails of Sky thread or to a post that explains why this game is worthwhile?

I dunno, the last 10 or so posts seem to do a pretty good job of it. Rinkles is knee deep and he just posted his impressions of it.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Honest Thief posted:

Black Stones made a series of posts starting here explaining why he thought the game was pretty damned fun. The game/series doesn't have a megathread yet, largely I think due to the fact that everyone is still :ohdear: over the possibility that we might not get the second game (which is a really important part of the story).

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

Think Lunar, only with better gameplay, dialogue, characters and plot.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
Speaking of great games, and I know it's been spoken about before (and is subsequently pretty well known by goons), but Terranigma is seriously one of the greatest RGPs ever made. Because the US never got it I will always hate Europe and petition that we don't help out when World War III starts.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Vrikkian posted:

Speaking of great games, and I know it's been spoken about before (and is subsequently pretty well known by goons), but Terranigma is seriously one of the greatest RGPs ever made. Because the US never got it I will always hate Europe and petition that we don't help out when World War III starts.

Is it? I played it a while back and got pretty bored with it. I assume that it gets better after the series of dungeons where you're...I don't quite remember...returning the continents to the Earth?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Terranigma has a pretty unique plot with some interesting twists and turns. Also a pretty solid action rpg. But yeah, you start out restoring the continents, but then you end up evolving life and developing the human race, helping out Columbus, and Edison, and other events. I also enjoyed the main character's plot as well, so yeah, opens up once you get out of reverse Earth.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Morpheus posted:

Is it? I played it a while back and got pretty bored with it. I assume that it gets better after the series of dungeons where you're...I don't quite remember...returning the continents to the Earth?

Directly after that you get to go to those continents. Hope you unlocked them all!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Allarion posted:

Terranigma has a pretty unique plot with some interesting twists and turns. Also a pretty solid action rpg. But yeah, you start out restoring the continents, but then you end up evolving life and developing the human race, helping out Columbus, and Edison, and other events. I also enjoyed the main character's plot as well, so yeah, opens up once you get out of reverse Earth.

Welp. Looks like I'm going back to play a game from 16 years ago.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's a good SNES game for sure, though I found some bosses frustrating. Personally I've always preferred Illusion of Gaia though.

Pepslexic
Jun 26, 2006
Nothing goes here
Oh man Terranigma was amazing, same people that did Illusion of Gaia and Actraiser. Just remember to raise Mu before you head above ground

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Morpheus posted:

Welp. Looks like I'm going back to play a game from 16 years ago.

Protip: Magirock is reusable. Everyone misses this and it makes the game radically easier once you know it.

Pepslexic posted:

Oh man Terranigma was amazing, same people that did Illusion of Gaia and Actraiser. Just remember to raise Mu before you head above ground

What do you get for doing that anyway?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

SpaceDrake posted:

Well, it's partially that it's just clearly not as good as the prologue (as I think I mentioned a little while back or elsewhere, Internet Suspicion is that Bose is where the game's initial translator cracked and ended up leaving the project), and partly because it's certain characters that really suffer compared to ~*the original Japanese*~. Mayor Maybelle, Schera, and especially Anelace if you find her are all somewhat more flat than they really should be (especially poor Anelace, good grief, she doesn't even sound like she does later in the game in Chapter 4; thankfully the Bose chats with her are completely optional). Estelle and Joshua still come out of it well enough, though, and the Bose townsfolk are pretty cool too.
Hm, maybe this explains why I didn't see anything too terrible about that part. I never actually ran into Anelace, and I'm still not in chapter 4 for a proper introduction.

Guess I lucked out!

U-DO Burger posted:

This really describes it well.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

I can't remember too much about Terranigma, excecpt that it seemed incredibly hard to me at the time, and that I felt pretty sad when I was nearly finished the game because it was so long and involving and I didn't want it to end. Didn't like Illusion of Gaia though.

I picked up White Knight Chronicles 2 on a whim, even though I haven't even come close to finishing the first one. I thought it would be a good idea to play through the enhanced version of 1 again all the way through to 2.
I don't know what it is about this game, but it's just not very engaging. It's not particularly bad or anything, but I never really feel the urge to play it. I'm not even sure what they've changed in the enhanced version, but I don't think I'll make it all the way to the 2nd game content.

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.
White Knight Chronicles 2 has a really terrible single-player campaign. The people that enjoy the game enjoy it for the 1000+ hour multiplayer online grindfest after the 40 hour singleplayer.

I'm not really suggesting you stick it out for the online portion or anything, since I really don't think the game is for everyone (or most people).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

U-DO Burger posted:

It actually reminded me a lot more of the good Grandia games, at least so far, I haven't gotten past the first chapter yet. :/

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Protip: Magirock is reusable. Everyone misses this and it makes the game radically easier once you know it.
Also one, and I believe only one, of the bosses lets you use magic against it. Since it's rather hard to damage with physical attacks unless you're highly overleveled, this can be helpful.

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why
On the subject of Gothic II, I have a couple of questions.

Can you install the fan made patches on a Steam install? I just tried and it screwed my install up. Also, is it possible to disable visual themes and advanced text services on a Steam install? The reason I was installing the fan made patch was because as soon as I boot up my save the game locks up. Audio still plays, but the game is frozen until I alt tab a couple of times, then it will let me play for maybe 10 seconds before locking up again.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I'm replaying Terranigma right now, and THIS. Magirock is everywhere, rings are super cheap, there's no reason not to stock up before you leave a town. Instead of whittling down a monster's health through repeated melee attacks and eventually having to use a healing bulb, just one shot it and every enemy standing near it with a fire ring you can buy for 5 gold and a magirock. Having a wider variety of attacks definitely makes dungeons less tedious as well, you're always on the lookout for opportunities to use your rings.

Resurrecting Mu lets you get a decent free spear pretty late in the game. It's far from the best spear or anything so it's pretty inconsequential.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Terranigma is an absolute gem, every bit as worthy a place in the SNES canon as Link to the Past or Seiken Densetsu.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I can't remember, was there a reason why Terranigma didn't make it to the US at all?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Enix closed their American offices before the localization was finished.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I think it's probably too late to start a Trails thread now. But once the second game has some kind of solid release date behind it, I'd be up for making a thread for it. I really liked the game and definitely plan on getting the sequel and playing it day 1.

Edit:

Can anyone recommend a site to use where I can pre-order Xenoblade from? Last time I ordered a game I used DVD.co.uk, but they only offer regular shipping, and I actually want to use something faster as if I get it a couple days after release, I will probably still be on holidays. So sooner the better.

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 22, 2011

Pepslexic
Jun 26, 2006
Nothing goes here

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Its not as good as Gaia's Mu, but you get an advanced town that if I remember correctly was mostly fluff, but neat still. It had the Quintet offices and maybe a shop? More fanservices then anything and kind of cool.
They made one last game, Granstream saga for the ps1 that I remember also being pretty good.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
Star Ocean: First Departure was a decent game. I enjoyed it. If you started playing RPGs after the 16bit era I can't recommend this game. Although better than most 16 bit games, you would need a few points of comparison to appreciate it.

It has a lot of optional characters, all of which you will have to play the game through at least twice to get. Each town has the option of doing a "Private Action" while standing outside. This allows your party to split up in the town and the citizens might say something different to you, you can interact with your party members, and there are a few little events that you can do that adds a little depth to the game or gives you an item, etc. Ultimately, by today's standards it is still shallow. FF IX's ATE kicks the poo poo out of that aspect.

The bread and butter is the skill system and item creation. I bought the sequel and played that on the PSX. I know this one isn't as advanced by any means but it does bring out the OCD in you. You have to train skills to learn and improve abilities. You then can use those abilities to create items, increase xp/sp you gain, and a variety of other things. You also get stat bonuses on a lot of skills you improve.

The battle system is a field where your party moves independently unless you give directions. You can set their behavior. You control the movement of one character. The battles are random but you can learn a skill to change the frequency. Overall, no battles should give anyone trouble outside of the arena where it will be an issue with levels. I like the system but it is boring.

The voice acting is ok. I don't know if you can turn it off. Insatiable its not bad as in its not insanely over acted. So I imagine they unintentionally lucked out and hired some "bad" voice actors.

So, for 16 bit standards, this game has crazy variety, a lot of depth item creation wise, the characters are all puddle deep when compared to FF VI which had numerous characters too, it is still a unique set up, and the remake just feels polished. The game's pacing gets hosed at the last bit of the game and I kinda had to push myself to beat it. If you want to play a star ocean, get 2nd story.

If you've played 2nd story, it does everything better than this one, but you won't be wasting your money giving this guy a shot.

I am trying to play the first Wild Arms and I don't know if I can get past they clunky battle engine. I can play a NES game and appreciate the graphics in the context of when it was made. I have a feeling these 3d graphics were always dog poo poo. I am still at the beginning though.

Favorabilis Solitud fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jul 22, 2011

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Resonance of Fate is bull bustingly hard sometimes, holy gently caress. One of the optional side fights involved five fat guys with machine guns, and I must have had to retry it six or seven times. Who knew a bunch of fatasses could be so much trouble? :psyduck: Loving every minute of it so far though, between playing dressup with my crew of Abercrombie models and putting four scopes and five barrels on one gun, it's amazing. Two things I love that it does right that I've always wanted to see in RPGs:

Status effects that actually work on almost everything and are worthwhile (and even necessary sometimes!) I always hated playing Final Fantasy games and having a bunch of status effects that never worked on bosses, and the regular trash enemies they DID work on could be killed easily enough to not have to bother doing anything but mashing normal attacks.

A turn based system that balances being tactical and actively fun. Unless you're going through an area with low level enemies, most battles require some forethought so you don't end up getting killed, but the hardest fights are still rewarding. And who doesn't like running up on some fool, popping him into the air, and smashing him into the ground three times in a row?

I'm about halfway through so far and the difficulty has been a factor the whole time, but it hasn't been frustrating, in fact it's kind of refreshing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Black Stones posted:

Can anyone recommend a site to use where I can pre-order Xenoblade from? Last time I ordered a game I used DVD.co.uk, but they only offer regular shipping, and I actually want to use something faster as if I get it a couple days after release, I will probably still be on holidays. So sooner the better.

GAME is the only place offering the collectors edition it seems, personally I always use https://www.shopto.net, they always send out pre-orders far enough in advance I get stuff a couple of days early and they're pretty cheap.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Nucular Carmul posted:

Status effects that actually work on almost everything and are worthwhile (and even necessary sometimes!) I always hated playing Final Fantasy games and having a bunch of status effects that never worked on bosses, and the regular trash enemies they DID work on could be killed easily enough to not have to bother doing anything but mashing normal attacks.

The only status effect I remember is disease. gently caress disease. Stupid goddamn affliction.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Did anyone here get Baten Kaitos: Origins?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Lone Rogue posted:

Did anyone here get Baten Kaitos: Origins?

Yeah. But I played it a long time ago. What do you wanna know?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

The Black Stones posted:

Yeah. But I played it a long time ago. What do you wanna know?

Well I enjoyed the original and unless I sold it when I sold 75 per cent of my movies and games, I was planning to try it out again. But since Origins is a prequel, I wanted to pick it up and play it first. Go Origins first, original second.

I'm someone who loved the original. Will I love the prequel?

MMania
May 7, 2008

Nucular Carmul posted:

Resonance of Fate is bull bustingly hard sometimes, holy gently caress. One of the optional side fights involved five fat guys with machine guns, and I must have had to retry it six or seven times. Who knew a bunch of fatasses could be so much trouble? :psyduck: Loving every minute of it so far though, between playing dressup with my crew of Abercrombie models and putting four scopes and five barrels on one gun, it's amazing.

The only real stumbling blocks in the game are those bezel shard fights that are way harder then the chapter bosses. I held off on most red-tiles till I got my third machine gun in my Hard playthrough, one more bezel isn't going to make a big difference anyway. I found it refreshing to get my rear end handed to me in the plot missions, there are a bunch of fights like solo-Vash vs the helicopter that are so satisfying to beat.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Lone Rogue posted:

Well I enjoyed the original and unless I sold it when I sold 75 per cent of my movies and games, I was planning to try it out again. But since Origins is a prequel, I wanted to pick it up and play it first. Go Origins first, original second.

I loved the original and loved the prequel as well. It changes up the battle system a lot, but I thought it was for the better. If you liked the first game, definitely give Origins a shot.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The best part about Origins is how the "announcer" voice actor during battle is pretty much what you'd hear in a fighting game. "LEVEL 3!!! LEVEL 4!!! LEVEL 5!!!"

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Alright, I'm in the USA. I need to preorder the collector's edition of Xenoblades. Does that shopto place ship overseas?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

RadicalR posted:

Alright, I'm in the USA. I need to preorder the collector's edition of Xenoblades. Does that shopto place ship overseas?

Looks like they do, but I've no idea how much/how long it takes, living in the UK and all.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
I order stuff from Japan. It can't take longer than that.
Now is shopto offering the collector's edition? I can't tell.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

RadicalR posted:

I order stuff from Japan. It can't take longer than that.
Now is shopto offering the collector's edition? I can't tell.

It's exclusive to Game I believe.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

evilalien posted:

It's exclusive to Game I believe.

Yeah, if you want collectors editions in the UK nowadays you pretty much have to buy stuff from GAME, unless it's one of those 'special editions' that's actually every edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Lone Rogue posted:

I thought Origins was great. It's pretty much a streamlined and improved version of the original. It's also got much better voice acting, it's not fantastic but it's around par for a dub. The game does reuse a fair amount of assets from the first game, but it's all good because it's mostly just the cities and stuff that are reused, which are all gorgeous anyways.